PDA

View Full Version : starting july 1st!

corialice81
05-27-2008, 15:17
Looking through my gear again. I started at AFSP on April 19th with thermals, down jacket, 15 degree bag, etc. expecting some cold temps at the beginning.

I've never been up north (LOL) hiking wise. So, starting on July 1st, is the weather cold or will i be sweating like crazy beating back bugs? I mean it is july and in the south (where I call home) it's hot, humid, and buggy.

Do I need to start with my thermals, down jacket, 15 degree bag or will my rain gear be sufficient to keep me warm?

I've never been to ME before and am unaware of the weather in July.

A-Train
05-27-2008, 15:29
Maine in July should be warm, maybe hot, with some cool nights.

If it were me, I'd have a hat, a long sleeve shirt and lightweight long john bottoms, and probably a 30 degree bag. Some folks might say you'd be fine with full summer gear (40+ degree bag, no warm clothes) but I don;t mess around with above treeline weather. What if you're crossing Saddleback or the Mahoosucs in a cold rain and you get to camp soaking and the temps drop a little?

Captain
05-27-2008, 15:38
thas why im taking ONE full change with extra socks incase i get cuaght in a downpour without my rain gear on and taking a fleece with a 20 degree bag, me and red hat are also starting july 1st well be looking for you

A-Train
05-27-2008, 15:40
Looking through my gear again. I started at AFSP on April 19th with thermals, down jacket, 15 degree bag, etc. expecting some cold temps at the beginning.

I've never been up north (LOL) hiking wise. So, starting on July 1st, is the weather cold or will i be sweating like crazy beating back bugs? I mean it is july and in the south (where I call home) it's hot, humid, and buggy.

Do I need to start with my thermals, down jacket, 15 degree bag or will my rain gear be sufficient to keep me warm?

I've never been to ME before and am unaware of the weather in July.

Just for reference, I entered Maine on 12 July and summited on the 31st. I carried a 20 degree bag, a hat, a lighweight fleece and had rain gear. Didn't regret any of it.

corialice81
05-27-2008, 15:41
I'm hoping to split the cost of a campsite with Red Hat. Hadn't heard from her yet though. Sounds like we're gonna have a great group starting around that time.

Marta
05-27-2008, 15:52
I would (and did) carry a 20-degree bag, plus a set of lightweight long johns, a warm hat, and gloves. More than once, I needed all of them. It's basically the stuff I would carry for spring and fall hiking in NC.

KG4FAM
05-27-2008, 15:57
It can be warm and it can be cold, but it will not be terribly hot for us southerners. I have been up there in July and the old owners of the AT Lodge were apologizing about not having air conditioning during the heat wave and I was just laughing it off. Then on Bigelow I froze at the campsite just south of Little Bigelow. I remember the evening after crossing Baldpate being cold as well. I would knock the snivel gear down a notch, but not too much. A-Train has the right idea.

4eyedbuzzard
05-27-2008, 16:03
Bring plenty of bug spray and gear. The skeeters and black flies only get to suck blood for a couple of months a year up here so they drink their entire share in June and July. The good news is that they are already getting full by July...;)

Temps: In lower elevations, mostly 65 to 85 degree daytime highs in lower elevations and 45 to 55 degree nighttime lows. Colder the higher up you go. Normal overnight temps are as low as 40 - but it can dip below that - even to below freezing up higher. Just throw on your base layer if that happens. Day temps depend a lot more on elevation - it gets friggin cold and windy especially above or near treeline in the Whites(<32 is unusual but it does happen, but mostly its those 40's with high winds - chills you fast), but you won't be camped out there exposed at night. Make sure you have hat or cap that covers your ears, a light scarf or neck gaiter, (a balaclava covers all these needs) gloves or liners, long base layer top and bottoms, fleece, wind/rain gear etc. A 20 degree bag is safe - a 30 is probably okay - a 40 means you'll be wearing all your clothing at some point as well. If you have all this stuff and are prepared you'll never need it of course and will summit Mt W on a record warm, clear, day and traverse all the high mountains in clear 60 degree weather. If you don't have it you'll undoubtably hike through cold windy fog and rain, looking frantically for the next cairn, your ears will be red and hurting for a week, and you'll be on top shivering trying to yogi a ride down via the autoroad.

Usually though you'll have daytime high temps anywhere from the mid 60's to high 70's below treeline. But sometimes we get a few days of 90+ muggy weather as well. Absolutely ANYTHING is possible weather wise in New England - but usually July is very nice hiking weather up here.

Here's the Mt Washington chart for the extreme above treeline reference. http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/normals.php

Dakota_
06-28-2008, 02:31
Can't wait to get on the trail. Will be staying in the AT Lodge on the 29th, Summiting the 30th or 1st. Maybe I will see everyone there. You can't go wrong with layers. I'm taking:
LT WT Top and Bottom (Capalene 1)
Mid WT Top and Bottom (Capalene 2)
Short sleeve shirt
Insulating layer (Mont Bell Down Jacket)
Fleece Gloves
Rain Jacket and Rain pants
2 pair socks
LT WT shorts
Debating about taking a Kilt.

I'm like you, living in ATL I have no idea what to expect up North. I have a 15* bag as well and will just sleep on top of it if it is too warm.

boarstone
06-28-2008, 06:37
While hiking you'll be warm, just remember when you stop, if it's raining, you'll cool down and be chilled quicker. We've had rain everyday up here for a week and today and next week isn't looking much better. Think of warmth when your stopping during your hike, nights are still cool, 30* will be enough. ditto on the long underware, top/bottom. Rainy times are very damp and you'll chill quick when you stop moving, have something to put on immediatly when you do stop. Have a great hike, welcome to Maine....

mudhead
06-28-2008, 09:34
Hat. For warmth. Not your winter hat, but something. I prefer the 2yr old worn/washed thin version of my winter hat. The 1yr version is for Spring/Fall.

notorius tic
06-28-2008, 09:59
Just for reference, I entered Maine on 12 July and summited on the 31st. I carried a 20 degree bag, a hat, a lighweight fleece and had rain gear. Didn't regret any of it.
I agree My best friend is up there now AT northeren an says the weather is SO SO SWEET..I sumit on 8-15-07 an it was so pretty..check my pics:banana

rafe
06-28-2008, 10:43
Weather in eastern MA has been a bit strange so far this summer. Extreme heat has not been a problem. Last week or two have been on the cool side. We've had a fair amount of rain and some ferocious but brief thunderstorms. Some beautiful days as well.

4eyedbuzzard
06-28-2008, 11:08
Can't wait to get on the trail. Will be staying in the AT Lodge on the 29th, Summiting the 30th or 1st. Maybe I will see everyone there. You can't go wrong with layers. I'm taking:
LT WT Top and Bottom (Capalene 1)
Mid WT Top and Bottom (Capalene 2)
Short sleeve shirt
Insulating layer (Mont Bell Down Jacket)
Fleece Gloves
Rain Jacket and Rain pants
2 pair socks
LT WT shorts
Debating about taking a Kilt.

I'm like you, living in ATL I have no idea what to expect up North. I have a 15* bag as well and will just sleep on top of it if it is too warm.

I'd keep one set of the Capalene and leave the other behind - probably keep the midweights(I don't feel a lot of difference between the mids and lights honestly so I think it's a personal choice). If it's cold enough to need a base layer you'll likely want the mids anyway. I'd trade the short sleeve shirt(do you also have a light tee shirt or other hiking shirt?) for a long sleeve(you can roll up the sleeves), and add a pair of long leg trail pants. Long pants and long sleeve sleeve shirt are more versatile for cooler weather hiking in higher elevations, cooler in-camp weather, and also for bug defense. Skeeters can bite right through Capalene as well, and if the ticks are bad long legs can be tucked in.

Definitely bring a hat that fully covers your ears at absolute minimum and a scarf if your shell doesn't offer neck protection. Error on the side of warm - temps as low as 40F. The windblock fleece stuff is pretty good. Above treeline the cold wind can make your ears and face literally hurt. It's not so much the temp, but the wind can make it painful if you aren't prepared.

D-wreck
06-29-2008, 00:00
I plan on starting my SOBO journey on July 1st as well. My gear includes:

40 degree bag (Lafuma down)
Silk liner
200 Fleece 1/2 zip
Capilene 2 top and bottom
Fleece hat
waterproof gloves
convertible pants
long sleeve capilene silkweight shirt
short sleeve poly shirt
insulated air corp mat

I was going to bring my cold bag, but its a 15 degree with 1/2 zip (marmot helium) and I'm pretty miserable in it above 35-40 degrees. I've tried to use it as a blanket but it didn't work so good. If it gets too chilly I was going to have the cold bag sent to me in Gorham, but I'm hoping I can just layer up with the summer bag and be OK.

Bad idea?

boarstone
06-29-2008, 09:45
D-wreck: the 40* bag will be fine, you can add your clothes if needed...