PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle in Pittsfield/Dalton Mass area

sasquatch2014
05-27-2008, 20:27
Does anyone know of a Shuttle in the Pittsfield/Dalton Mass area? I know of the two guys who will let you stay with them up in Dalton but I am really looking more for a shuttle. I am getting into Pittsfield by bus and need to get out to the trail head on Grange Rd south of Dalton. I guess I can do a taxi but was wondering about shuttles as well.

mrc237
05-27-2008, 20:39
The AT THC lists Bus service from Pitts to Dalton. no link

sasquatch2014
05-27-2008, 22:07
I am needing something that I can direct where I want it to go. I guess I will have to do the Taxi or I will have to add 3 extra trail miles to my planned hike.

Tin Man
05-27-2008, 23:33
Did you check the ATC shuttle list? There are several providers, but may not be all that local to what you need. Depending on how many car miles you are looking at, location of local tax service versus distance for shuttlers is key and a taxi might be cheaper. Call around to compare prices.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.806835/

John S
05-28-2008, 11:27
Local bus service runs from the Pittsfield Intermodal Center through the center of Dalton. It can also get you back to Pittsfield from stops on the AT in North Adams and Cheshire. Fares are $1.10 per town traveled.

Schedule and map at http://www.berkshirerta.com/schedules.php?route=112&direction=I&timing=W

Eureka
06-02-2008, 16:25
I took the bus from the trailhead in North Adams to within 1 mile of the Dalton trailhead in 2007 for $4.00 and change. It took 3 hours with waiting for the bus and all the stops they make but it worked out fine.
Good luck,

Skyline
06-02-2008, 16:42
I used a bus between (near) Dalton and Cheshire. Time-consuming but very inexpensive.

Of all 14 AT-states, I found MA & CT to be the most difficult places to hitch. The day I flagged down the bus I had been trying to hitch for over an hour with no luck. Grabbed the bus because it seemed like the only real choice.

sasquatch2014
06-02-2008, 21:28
Thanks everyone. I am back from my short time out. As I was not going to a town but to the trail head up Grange Hall Rd the bus was not really an option i took the taxi from the bus station in Pittsfield. Next time I will just walk the extra few miles and save the money. Taxi cost $20 my Bus from Danbury CT only $28.

Tinker
06-02-2008, 22:46
I can fit SIX in my wife's Toyota Corolla Wagon.

:p :p

Had a great time, Sasquatch.
How are the feet doing? My wrist feels fine, just a little bump.

sasquatch2014
06-03-2008, 02:44
I have to soak and work that one nail up. I was given a broad spectrum antibiotic to take for 10 days. The other blisters as i soak will be able to be drained if i need to. I think that one is getting a bit sore and my be getting infected but the drugs will take care of that. Once the feet feel a bit more like normal i am going to look for new shoes.

Chatter
06-03-2008, 16:09
....just getting old, sounds like to me. You never used to complain about little ailments on the trail. :-?

The group hike this past weekend "thru" that section of the Berkshires was great and my newly twisted knee will remember it always!

Hey, Tinker, our erstwhile homebound hiking buddy called and wants to quizyou on the details - be sure and provide lots of ammunition for laughs.:banana

river1
06-03-2008, 17:40
I have to soak and work that one nail up. I was given a broad spectrum antibiotic to take for 10 days. The other blisters as i soak will be able to be drained if i need to. I think that one is getting a bit sore and my be getting infected but the drugs will take care of that. Once the feet feel a bit more like normal i am going to look for new shoes.

Guys, going to rest my ankle for a few weeks and then head back out to complete Jug End rd to rt 44.. Probably would do it as a day hike but could be convinced to do it as a weekend trip when its not raining..:( Anyone interested?

sasquatch2014
06-03-2008, 21:32
I am shot for all of June and will be gone from like the 13 to the 27th in July. I need to knock off that section still. I am also trying to think about a longer fall section if i can save up enough spousel karma but still up in the air. first things first i need to figure out a new foot ware situation.