PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Tent, Packs

dperry
05-27-2008, 21:27
Hello, All,

Our last outing was rather muddy and we got some stuff on both our packs and the inside of our tent. What's the best way to go about washing these? Can they be done in large laundromat washers, or would you suggest hand cleaning? What kind of soap to use? Etc., etc. Thanks to all for your input!

4eyedbuzzard
05-27-2008, 21:33
Hand clean with mild soap or detergent(dawn or similar) and water. Bathtub works well or outside with a hose. Turn the tent inside out if it's trashed inside. Don't use abrasive pads, even synthetic ones - sponge or cloth or very soft brush only.

Nearly Normal
05-27-2008, 21:36
Visit the web sites of the gear. They usually post cleaning method. If not call.

rafe
05-27-2008, 21:50
Garden hose, large sponge, mild detergent solution. Like washing your car. My tent gets hosed down regularly (at least, after weekend trips.) The pack, not so much -- but it's not all that ratty.

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2008, 21:57
Easy empty out the contents of both near a deep clear stream on a sunny wonderful day.

Get completly Naked! carry tent & backpack in for a dive.

Watch out for hikers that resemble Andrew Dice Clay.

Set up a cloths line for wet things and enjoy sun

Find karma - we are all young at heart.

Put clothes back on before the PD arrive

Watch out for the new smell of tents & back packs

No joke and I am not kidding. Seize the day!

theinfamousj
05-27-2008, 22:41
I'm interested in how to clean the pack as well. Mine /may/ have encountered some poison ivy and since urus...whatever oil can stay potent up to 7 years, I'd like to remove it.

Do I swish it around in the bathtub like I do with a sleeping bag?

buz
05-28-2008, 09:28
Hand clean, lots of warm water, change bucket frequently, we don't use any soap, (for scout troop stuff, because a little soap is too vague, lol), soft old towels or cotton undershirts, probably 2 or three wipings to get all the mud out.

4eyedbuzzard
05-28-2008, 09:53
I'm interested in how to clean the pack as well. Mine /may/ have encountered some poison ivy and since urus...whatever oil can stay potent up to 7 years, I'd like to remove it.

Do I swish it around in the bathtub like I do with a sleeping bag?

Urushiol is the oily allergic substance and soap and warm water should remove it. I would definitely use soap/detergent of some sort as this is what frees the oil to become miscible(mix) in water. I'd put the soap right on the sponge or brush, and use a little water as well, as if you were washing really dirty dishes and have at it. Use a sponge or soft brush to mechanically make sure the oil gets scrubbed off of the surfaces and into the water. For added peace of mind: wash, rinse, repeat using a new sponge each time and chuck the sponges after you're done. Wear plastic gloves if you're hyper-sensitive to the stuff. Everybody is technically allergic to it, but some people are much more sensitive to it than others.

mudhead
05-28-2008, 18:01
Poison ivy=car wash. Stand back a ways and don't get any in your eyes.

Rinse/wash again at home.

I use the garden hose on my stuff, with a sprayer head on "shower."

5 gallon bucket helps.