PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bag...what temp would you recommend?

shoe
05-27-2008, 22:17
Heading out from Catawba to ME on June 7th. My 15 degree MOntbell is going to be overkill by a mile.
Would you say 40 would be sufficient until I switch out bags or would a 30 or 35 be better.

I know alot of it comes down to comfort. I am typically a cold sleeper but I got hot in the 15 degree at around 35 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone know a place to order a montbell that ships really fast with the best prices?

Tinker
05-28-2008, 00:19
Forty degrees sounds about right. That's what I have. Admittedly, I am a warm sleeper, but I frequent the White Mountains in New Hampshire and the Green Mountains in Vermont. Every once in a while, I've experienced temps near freezing with my 40 degree bag, but have always had enough clothes to stay comfortable. That's the key, having a warm jacket and maybe some insulated pants if you think the temps will be low enough that your bag might not keep you comfortable.

rafe
05-28-2008, 00:23
Go with the lighter bag... you can put on a base layer if it gets chilly. (I usually carry a light "spare" base layer for sleeping and/or backup.)

Big Sky
05-28-2008, 09:02
I have a Western Mountaineering Highlite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series) and it is by far my favorite piece of gear. It's rated at 35F but I've taken it a lot lower and been happy with socks and a base layer. I am a very warm sleeper and I've been known to take this bag out when temps are predicted in the mid to upper 20's, so keep that in mind. The thing is so light you may put on your pack and get scared that you left it at home! It only weighs 16 oz. give or take an oz or two depending on the length you choose. This is one of those pieces of gear where you get absolutely what you pay for -- flawless performance. I hate to sound like a WM advertisement but I've owned a whole lot of bags, and this one delivers. MooseJaw.com (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/product.asp?path=Search&path=western+mountaineering&search_handle=A%3dwestern+mountaineering%7eB%3dwes tern+mountaineering%7eD%3d36%7eE%3d1%5e1%5e2%5enum _Sort1%7eK%3d4%7eL%3d1%7eM%3d1%7e&scid=SearchResults&pf_id=10043796&spoffset=2&s_id=0) sells WM stuff and I'm pretty sure they have free shipping on $50 orders. I don't use the WM stuff sac that came with it, but instead got a Sea to Summit XS dry compression sack which fits it perfectly. You can compress it a whole lot smaller than is healthy for the down so do be careful about that. I can be tempting to compress it to the size of a softball :)

They have another version (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=23)that has a wider shoulder girth which might be nice if you're broader in that area, but it is 4 oz heavier because it's a different type of material. I'm a very tall and skinny woman at exactly 6' tall and I'm glad I got the 6'6'' version of the Highlite for a little more toe room. I sometimes stick a fleece down at the bottom with my feet to keep them off the ground along with my contact solution...not much worse than cold eye drops to wake you up.

4eyedbuzzard
05-28-2008, 10:05
You should be fine with the 40 as long as you have a top and bottom base layer and a fleece or wool hat, etc to help out if it gets unusually cold.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-28-2008, 10:12
I'm a cold sleeper and use a 35F Exped Wallcreeper (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/EXP1550). He-Dino is a warm sleeper and uses a 50F Guidegear rectangular bag (http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=129749). As others note, a good base layer can add enough warmth to get you thru an unusually cold night.

Blissful
05-28-2008, 13:31
Should be fine with a 40 degree bag now, but you can take a liner just in case. It's been rather chilly this year, I've noticed. But high 80s by the weekend.

Switch back by NH or go with a 25 degree.

gold bond
05-28-2008, 14:27
I am going back to Pholmont this year and have bought a Sierra Design 40 degree down bag that weighs about 1.5 lbs. That being said would it be better to take a liner or a base layer....3/4 zip top with a pair of thermal pants? Just curios...hope I'm not getting off topic here!

shoe
05-28-2008, 15:08
I decided on the 35 degree bag just in case anyone cares :)

bigcranky
05-28-2008, 15:28
I am going back to Pholmont this year and have bought a Sierra Design 40 degree down bag that weighs about 1.5 lbs. That being said would it be better to take a liner or a base layer....3/4 zip top with a pair of thermal pants? Just curios...hope I'm not getting off topic here!

I'd go with the base layer over the liner, if only because it's more versatile -- you can wear the base layer around camp, or even hiking if it's necessary. That's tough to do with a liner.

That, and I get all twisted up in a liner.

Quoddy
05-28-2008, 15:56
A Monbell SS UL #5 will be fine since it has a full length zipper. Last year on the Long Trail I used a #7 (50F) and was fine. Even the #7 was hot and had to be unzipped many nights except in the north. I skipped the #5 and went for a #4 for the Colorado Trail this year. I looked for a sale on Montbell bags at all the usual dealers and couldn't find any going on right now.

gold bond
05-28-2008, 16:34
I'd go with the base layer over the liner, if only because it's more versatile -- you can wear the base layer around camp, or even hiking if it's necessary. That's tough to do with a liner.

That, and I get all twisted up in a liner.

Appriciate the info...that was my gut feeling all along!