PDA

View Full Version : VA to MA

Dan Bowen
10-09-2002, 17:51
I have been planning a thru-hike for 2004.I was going to start in GA, hike to Harpers Ferry VA. , than get a ride to ME. to hike south to VA.I am planning this flip-flop because, 1.I am not a big mile hiker and do not think I can make it to Katahdin by closing date.And 2,I am hiking with my dog .I was told by a few thru-hikers that the heat was too much for their dogs after VA.So if I flip up to Maine I can miss out on most of the worst heat, plus I know will have the time to hike at my own pace.
Now my problem.My ride was my brother ,who's in the navy,stationed in VA.He calls me last night to tell me he is being restationed somewhere else far from the trail.So now I have no ride.
Any suggestions out there?I don't think I can bring my dog on a bus,and flying is out of the question.This may be a stupid question but ,is there a shuttle ?
Sorry I am rambling, but this just through a big wrench into my plans.Any help or flip-flopping advice will be greatly apreciated.
:confused:

The Weasel
10-09-2002, 18:45
Call Greyhound, also known on the trail as "The Dog". With a pet carrier, you may be able to transport him by bus. Don't disregard Amtrak, either.

The Weasel

Dirtyoldman
11-02-2002, 11:24
I dont know if amtrack allows dogs but if you can get online about 20 days before you leave they have heavily discounted tickets availible for those willing to travel on their scheduale. (read midnights ect)

a 100 fare can be had for as little as 20 if you can get it. most of the discounts occur on a regular basis.

chief
11-02-2002, 13:35
get yourself to the nearest airport and get a one way from national. i did that on my flip flop from ny to bangor (less than 100 bucks) and after i injured myself in the wilderness i got back to bangor and rented one way to mobile, al (many miles - less than 300 bucks). don't know how you'd get to katahdin, except by combination of bus to medway, then shuttle or taxi to baxter. OR take yer dog all the way to millinocket, board him while you drive back to bangor to drop the car.

advantage of national - unlimited miles and no drop-off fee - painless

prozac
11-03-2002, 10:31
Dan, although you are talking about 1 1/2 years from now, and I usually don't plan things 24 hrs in advance, I might be able to help you. I'm a section hiker from NJ and hike solo so getting to the trailheads is getting harder so I empathize with you. Can't guarantee anything that far in advance, but I would be willing to pick you up at HF and drive you and Rover to Maine and do 100 Mile wilderness NoBo to Katahdin. Was planning to save this for my last section, but what the hell. Just cant see doing it SoBo tho after dreaming about it all these years. After summiting, I could hitch? back to my car and return you back to where we started so you could continue SoBo. I know its a double flip-flop for you , but if you are interested, PM me and let me know. If any other section hikers are interested, E-mail me and maybe we can take 2 vehicles for this or any other trip you had in mind. Have completed from HF to Conn so not really interested in doing this section over. Also, although I own a dog and take him dayhiking all the time, I personally would never consider taking him on a thru hike for a variety of reasons to long to go into here. Your decision tho , and I would be more than happy to transport you and Rover PROZAC