PDA

View Full Version : Temperature difference in Chattooga trail

jbone
05-28-2008, 13:23
Hello, I am planning on a weekend trip on the Chattooga river trail this weekend, and was wondering how much cooler the river corridor usually was than weather forecasts for Clayton, Ga, etc. It will be my wife’s first backpacking overnighter so I wanted to hike a trail with limited ups and downs as well as a favorable weather outlook. Don’t want to turn her off to it on the first night out. Weather forecast is for high 80’s this weekend and I am hoping it will be a bit cooler along the water. Any input you have to offer is appreciated.

Also any suggested can’t miss places along the trail?

FYI- I am planning on parking by the hwy 76/2 bridge.

gold bond
05-28-2008, 13:33
I was just there this past weekend and did the same trail. The weather was great. Around the same temps as you are describing but the humidity saturday was really up. Sweated a good bit. The trail is very "natural" as it is not as well maintained as the AT. There are alot of blow downs that you will have to go around on the first day.They are negotiable but could be frustrating to the novice. We went from Burrells Ford to Lick Log. Spent Saturday night at a campsite about two and half miles from Lick Log so going out Sunday was very easy. We broke camp around 9AM or a little after and was back to the car about 11-11:15 time frame. That second day was as about as much up as you will see. We left Burrells Ford around 9:15-9:30 Sat morn and pulled into camp about 2:00-2:30.We set up and did some swimming and just kind of chilled out the rest of the day and what a great time that was! The second day there was little to no humidity and was good hiking. The whole trail is only about 8.1 miles so it is a great trail for beginners, thats where I took my wife her first time out.
Have a great time and a safe time!

gold bond
05-28-2008, 13:39
Big Bend falls is a good place to rest and have lunch as it is about 1/2 way in. There is no sign so when you hear it you will know.Sorry I did not GPS it so I would havwe better directions. You have to walk down to it. Leave your packs up and walk down...CAREFULLY...as it was very slippery and we had two people fall down!No one got hurt except for ego's! If you were to park at Burrells Ford you can go behind the kiosk and hit that trail and you will intersect with a trail that takes you to a great waterfall about 1.5 mi in....that will add 3 mi to your total so keep that in mind. We did not go back there so I do not know the trail conditions on that part.

jbone
05-28-2008, 13:44
Hey- Thanks for the info. I am no stranger to falling at waterfalls. I fell this weekend at Hatchet Creek falls. Unfortunately my camera was between me and the rock :(. The lens was hanging out like an over excited Boston Terrier's eyes... Oh well another excuse to go shopping.

-J

gold bond
05-28-2008, 14:51
Hope that the info can be helpful. Hope your first hike with your wife goes better than mine! She litterally sat down and cried! Once we got to the camp site and swam and ate she was fine but we both learned that day that I'll do the backpacking and she'll support me in doing so!
If I can get some more specific details on the waterfalls and such I will get them to you ASAP!

Nearly Normal
05-28-2008, 17:11
Hello, I am planning on a weekend trip on the Chattooga river trail this weekend, and was wondering how much cooler the river corridor usually was than weather forecasts for Clayton, Ga, etc. It will be my wife’s first backpacking overnighter so I wanted to hike a trail with limited ups and downs as well as a favorable weather outlook. Don’t want to turn her off to it on the first night out. Weather forecast is for high 80’s this weekend and I am hoping it will be a bit cooler along the water. Any input you have to offer is appreciated.

Also any suggested can’t miss places along the trail?

FYI- I am planning on parking by the hwy 76/2 bridge.

If you hike down river from Burrell's Ford.
King Creek Falls is great.
2 miles in is a campsite in a curve of the river. It is well used.
.25 miles further is picnic rock. It almost spans the river.
.25 miles further is another camp site up on a little bluff. Kinda rooty.
2.9 miles is the trail junction to Cherry Hill Recreation area.
3.3 miles is beauty spot. A great picture spot.
3.5 miles is Big Bend Falls. This is a dangerous place to fool around.

Cross Roundtop Mountain. This will be your big up for the day.

On the other side is Salt Trough Ford. (you'll notice a big differance in the air crossing Round Top, much more stuffy away from the river)
There are good places to camp from here though to Simm's Field on the river.
A nice sandy beach with a swimming hole in a sharp curve.
A mile further is a rocky beach then Simm's.
I'd camp at the Sandy beach. The river is loud here. It's less than 6 miles from Burrell's.
You'll leave the river after Simm's.

You can pick the river back up just past Pigpen Falls on the Bartram/Chattooga Trail.

They sell the guide and map at Oconee State Park.(Foothills Trail)
It should be pleasent at night on the river.
Take bug juice for the red bugs. Watch for Poison Ivy.

The Trail is easier from Burrell's Ford upriver. Park next to the information Koisk just before crossing the river. Hike the river trail.
1.5 miles is the Flintstone camp. Good place.
2.5 miles is the East Fork Creek and the trail to the Hatchery. Less than 5 miles is Ellicott's Rock.
Good camping all along the trail.
Weekends are crowded.
Have Fun

gold bond
05-29-2008, 08:47
If you hike down river from Burrell's Ford.
King Creek Falls is great.
2 miles in is a campsite in a curve of the river. It is well used.
.25 miles further is picnic rock. It almost spans the river.
.25 miles further is another camp site up on a little bluff. Kinda rooty.
2.9 miles is the trail junction to Cherry Hill Recreation area.
3.3 miles is beauty spot. A great picture spot.
3.5 miles is Big Bend Falls. This is a dangerous place to fool around.

Cross Roundtop Mountain. This will be your big up for the day.

On the other side is Salt Trough Ford. (you'll notice a big differance in the air crossing Round Top, much more stuffy away from the river)
There are good places to camp from here though to Simm's Field on the river.
A nice sandy beach with a swimming hole in a sharp curve.
A mile further is a rocky beach then Simm's.
I'd camp at the Sandy beach. The river is loud here. It's less than 6 miles from Burrell's.
You'll leave the river after Simm's.

You can pick the river back up just past Pigpen Falls on the Bartram/Chattooga Trail.

They sell the guide and map at Oconee State Park.(Foothills Trail)
It should be pleasent at night on the river.
Take bug juice for the red bugs. Watch for Poison Ivy.

The Trail is easier from Burrell's Ford upriver. Park next to the information Koisk just before crossing the river. Hike the river trail.
1.5 miles is the Flintstone camp. Good place.
2.5 miles is the East Fork Creek and the trail to the Hatchery. Less than 5 miles is Ellicott's Rock.
Good camping all along the trail.
Weekends are crowded.
Have Fun

Amen on watching for the poison oak/ivy! It was in full bloom.:eek: Did not have any problems with bugs. Water was fine...did some swimming!

jbone
05-29-2008, 08:59
Thanks for all the great info. There is something about camping by/near running water. I actually managed to get poison ivy while working at Home Depot in the middle of winter (in Minnesota). :eek: must have been all over some 2x4s or something. Hope to see you our on the trail.

-J

The Solemates
05-29-2008, 10:25
the chattooga was my back yard growing up. great memories...