PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Ziplock Type Bags

Wyatt
02-12-2004, 15:18
The local hiking store used to carry some Ziplock bags in different sizes that were probably twice as thick as a normal store bought Ziplock. They had some larger sizes as well that really came in handy for waterproofing gear and the smaller ones were good for repackaging foodstuffs. Does anyone know where I can get some of these on the Internet in reasonable quantities? The only places I have found require purchases in sets of 1000, when 50 would be a gracious plenty.

Thanks,

Wyatt

gravityman
02-12-2004, 15:57
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00146.html

jojo0425
02-12-2004, 16:05
http://www.safetycentral.com/heavdutzipba.html

Kozmic Zian
02-12-2004, 16:12
Yea....You talkin' about the 1gal. size? Most Freezer Lock type bags are available at the big grocery stores. I can usually find 3 sizes there. Pint, Quart and gallon sizes. Anything more than that's usually to big, or small. Get Freezer Locks tho', lots stronger than regular. I take all food packaging(cardboard) off of everything I carry, then load it up in the 'zippers'(for all the newbies). Then all food goes into the food bag(usually a polybag w/pull closure). That way its all isolated, easy to hang at the camp sites and dosen't get into your pac as easily. That's all part of the 'packing philosophy' a prospective hiker has to develope. Good Hiking.................................KZ@

Moon Monster
02-12-2004, 16:17
Many Wal-Mart camping ailses have stocked the extra-big (5 gal. and 12 gal., I think) Ziploc brand bags. I think this was a test market, so maybe there has been no restocking lately (I bought a pack in late-2002). The packages contained on the order of 8 or so bags. Bass Pro shops were also in on the test market.

Wyatt
02-12-2004, 17:56
Thanks for the quick replies. Just what I've been searching for.

Wyatt

Footslogger
02-13-2004, 20:00
The thicker "freezer strength" bags are definitely worth the price, in my opinion.

Also ...somewhere along the trail, I think it was Pearisburg, VA the local WalMart carried a 20 gallon Ziplock bag. Yup ...you read correctly, a 20 gallon Ziplock bag. I knew several hikers who bought them and stuffed them inside their backpacks as liners.

steve hiker
02-14-2004, 00:43
The thicker "freezer strength" bags are definitely worth the price, in my opinion.
I've looked for "freezer" ziplock bags at supermarkets, and for some reason haven't found any. Are they called "Freezer" bags?

Jumble Jowls is looking at the Hefty one gallon bags he uses, with the little piece of plastic at the top you grab onto and pull across. They're called OneZip "storage" bags and work just fine. Same thing?

Nightwalker
02-14-2004, 02:19
Yea....You talkin' about the 1gal. size? Most Freezer Lock type bags are available at the big grocery stores. I can usually find 3 sizes there. Pint, Quart and gallon sizes. Anything more than that's usually to big, or small. Get Freezer Locks tho', lots stronger than regular. I take all food packaging(cardboard) off of everything I carry, then load it up in the 'zippers'(for all the newbies). Then all food goes into the food bag(usually a polybag w/pull closure). That way its all isolated, easy to hang at the camp sites and dosen't get into your pac as easily. That's all part of the 'packing philosophy' a prospective hiker has to develope. Good Hiking.................................KZ@

Wal-Mart has 2.5 Gallon super-heavy bags in the hunting section.

:sun
Frank

Footslogger
02-14-2004, 18:41
I've looked for "freezer" ziplock bags at supermarkets, and for some reason haven't found any. Are they called "Freezer" bags?

Jumble Jowls is looking at the Hefty one gallon bags he uses, with the little piece of plastic at the top you grab onto and pull across. They're called OneZip "storage" bags and work just fine. Same thing?If the store carries them they should be right along side the regular strength ziplocks. The box just says "Freezer Strength" and they come in Pint, Quart, Gallon and 2 Gallon sizes