PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a novice hiker

Elk Cloner
05-28-2008, 17:02
Hey folks. I've done a lot of camping and dayhiking throughout my life, but I've always been interested in taking it a step farther and give backpacking a shot. I've decided that I'd like to take 2-4 weeks this summer and solo hike some of the AT.

My parents however (I'm 19 years old), are kind of worried about this. Their main concern is that I'll become ill or injured and be stuck on the trail unable to get help. I'm in decent shape, very comfortable outdoors, and I'm an EMT so I'm fairly confident that I can take care of myself on trail.

I plan on starting around Port Clinton, PA at the end of June/early July and heading north until I decide to head back home. Probably not the most exciting part of the trail but its not too far from home and seems like a decent place to start.

So these are my primary questions:
-How busy are the mid-Atlantic/southern New England portions of the trail in July? How often should I expect to see people? Will I be sleeping alone every night? Will there be many thru-hikers or will they mostly be past me? etc.
-How safe would you consider this part of the trail?
-Do you think this is a good part of the trail to hike for a first backpacking experience?

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

mudhead
05-28-2008, 17:10
Read the articles that can be found on the home page.

Tell your folks you will check in regularly.

Tell your folks you are thinking about buying a motorcycle.

Pokey2006
05-28-2008, 17:10
Welcome to Whiteblaze!

Picking a section close to home is smart -- it'll be easier for your folks to deal with, too, than if you went to Tennessee or something.

There will be plenty of other hikers out there at that time. Chances are there will be at least one or two others at the shelters every night. Not huge crowds, but enough to keep you company.

When I went off to hike, and my mother was worried about me, I reluctantly agreed to carry a cellphone. It made her feel a lot better about it, even though I hardly ever used it. Do what you need to do to ease their fears.

Checking in at home every 3-4 days helps. Estimate when you'll be able to check in next, adding an extra day or so to your estimate. Then, make sure you call home BEFORE that day rolls around.

Good luck!

flemdawg1
05-28-2008, 17:31
You're 19, pack up your gear and say, "See ya in a couple of weeks."

Time to leave the nest.

Pepper Beard
05-29-2008, 00:25
You're 19, pack up your gear and say, "See ya in a couple of weeks."

Time to leave the nest.

Yea, but that does nothing to ease the worries of a parent. Parents naturally worry about their children, no matter what they do. Just reassure the parents you won't be alone and call them every few days for their benefit.

Shutterbug
05-29-2008, 00:28
Hey folks. I've done a lot of camping and dayhiking throughout my life, but I've always been interested in taking it a step farther and give backpacking a shot. I've decided that I'd like to take 2-4 weeks this summer and solo hike some of the AT.

My parents however (I'm 19 years old), are kind of worried about this. Their main concern is that I'll become ill or injured and be stuck on the trail unable to get help. I'm in decent shape, very comfortable outdoors, and I'm an EMT so I'm fairly confident that I can take care of myself on trail.

I plan on starting around Port Clinton, PA at the end of June/early July and heading north until I decide to head back home. Probably not the most exciting part of the trail but its not too far from home and seems like a decent place to start.

-How busy are the mid-Atlantic/southern New England portions of the trail in July? How often should I expect to see people? Will I be sleeping alone every night? Will there be many thru-hikers or will they mostly be past me? etc.
-Do you think this is a good part of the trail to hike for a first backpacking experience?

Thanks for reading and for any replies.

It is normal for parents to be concerned. Consider letting them buy you a SPOT personal locator beacon. It will allow you to set up a web site where they can track your progress along the trail.

It also has a "Help" button that would allow you to send them a message if you have a problem that requires their help. It will tell them you need help and your exact location.

If you have an emergency that requires rescue, you can press the "911" button and a message with your location will be transmitted to authorities.

Check it out at http://www.finemespot.com

I have been using one for a couple of months.

rafe
05-29-2008, 00:38

1. Not terribly busy, particularly if it starts getting really hot and dry.
2. Most thru hikers are well north of PA in July. My guess is you'll see lots more day-hikers than thru-hikers.
3. Safety: The AT is generally quite safe, but there have been violent crimes against hikers (and a few of these in PA.) You must keep your wits about you. There are rattlesnakes on the ridges -- though you'd be lucky to see one. You might want to turn down the iPod and be a bit wary when walking thru rock gardens in hot weather.
4. First-Time experience: Sure, go for it. It's very easy hiking, except for the rocks. It's not tops for scenic grandeur, but it's not bad, either. Carry lots of water.

Bob S
05-29-2008, 00:40
Tell your folks you are thinking about buying a motorcycle.

Funny, LOL :banana

santa
05-29-2008, 00:52
It is normal for parents to be concerned. Consider letting them buy you a SPOT personal locator beacon. It will allow you to set up a web site where they can track your progress along the trail.

It also has a "Help" button that would allow you to send them a message if you have a problem that requires their help. It will tell them you need help and your exact location.

If you have an emergency that requires rescue, you can press the "911" button and a message with your location will be transmitted to authorities.

Check it out at http://www.finemespot.com

I have been using one for a couple of months.

thought this was interesting but link didnt work

4eyedbuzzard
05-29-2008, 01:20
thought this was interesting but link didnt work 'cause it's findmespot not finemespot
http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx

IceAge
05-29-2008, 12:52
Just as a clarification, a SPOT may be a useful tracking/communication device, but it isn't a Personal Locator Beacon.

PLBs are specialized devices that broadcast on specific emegency frequencies and also transmit homing signals, the SPOT uses sattelite phone and GPS technology. Also, you probably won't find a true PLB for much under $500.

Slosteppin
05-29-2008, 20:44
First, I'm surprised you said parents are worried instead of mother is worried. My wife walked in as I was reading your post. She said "I'd be worried too." When our sons were 19 (they are now 49, 46 & 43) I would have said "What do you need that you don't have?"

I've been hiking for about 60 years and backpacking for about 30. The worst injury I've had hiking (not backpacking) was a sprained ankle. The worst I've had backpacking was a blister.

I would suggest a 1 or 2 night hike alone first just to make sure your gear is what you need.
Regardless of what trail you hike the most dangerous part is the drive to the trail and back home after the hike.

Slosteppin

Blissful
05-29-2008, 21:10
Kirby is out there hiking the whole thing at age 17. Now I wouldn't have let my son do that at that age, (we went together when he was 16). But every parent is different and every hiker is different.

But at any rate you're 19, old enough to be on your own at college. College is a heck of a lot more dangerous, IMO, than a trail! Go have fun and just check in with them via a cell phone call every few days.

You will be on a very rocky part of the trail in PA with nice rattlers, just to warn you. Nice ankle biters. I saw my first bear near Delaware Water Gap. New Jersey is a neat state to hike in. NY gets rocky again with boulders, etc.

Bare Bear
05-29-2008, 22:51
When my sister was 18 she told mom she was going to backpack across Europe with her girlfriend. I knew they had two boyfriends going too so I felt (big brother) better. BTW sis married that guy and they have four great kids living at State College, PA now, both teach at Joe U.

Dakota_
05-29-2008, 23:09
Elk,

I can relate, moms never stop worrying. I'm 42, have done all types of camping and hiking as well as spent a year in Afghanistan with the military. And when I told my parents I was hiking the AT, mom stressed out. I will probably get the spot messenger or take my cell phone to ease her mind a bit.

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 23:16
Ha, as an EMT you will be helping and "rescuing" others! Have a great hike. You will love it.

BitBucket
05-29-2008, 23:49
I remember 6 years ago my son came in and said he wanted to spend the summer backpacking. I first thought he was talking about the AT, but nooo. He wanted to hike across Europe all by himself.. Excited as we were, we were still reluctant to let him go by himself. But we got him all his trail boots, backpack, food, clothes, etd and off he went. He'd video chat with us from a different country several times a week and as long as we could see/hear his voice from time to time we knew he was going to be OK. I remember the day he called to tell me he had fallen down a bank and messed his ankle up real bad and couldn't walk, I told him to practice RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and in a few days he was on his way again.

The next summer he wanted to do the same but in South America...same fears here but he was fine - a little bruised here and there but came home with all 10 toes and fingers....

The next summer he went to the middle east for 6 months to study arabic on a scholarship. He sent us a picture of him almost cutting off his finger while making an orange drink one night (which a local doctor fixed) and had several bouts of stomach problems eating the local food. He scared the crap out of me the night he called us from a police station on the Syrian Border that had closed and he couldn't get through. The guards there were greatful enough to provide him a free bed and food for the night and allow him to be on his way early the nexgt morning.

I say all of this because I know how your parents feel, but you'll be OK on the AT. There are plenty of good people to help you if you get stuck or hurt and need help. Lots of good pople. Just let someone know where you are going and when you get there and you can ease their fears tremendously.,

My son will continue his trek this fall for a one year trip to Tunisia. But he'll be OK...there will be good people there to help if he needs it...

I just wish I could get him to go with me on a 3 month hike of the AT but I can't slow him down long enough to get him interested in it...

You'll be fine...take pictures and send them from the trail. Parents love to see pictures of their kids

He and I have done parts of the Grand Canyon but none of the AT....

You'll be fine and have a great time. just don't forget to write home...