1 Tbsp crumbled dried mushrooms
1 Tbsp ‘Beef’ TVP (or dried hamburger)

In a leak proof bottle take:
2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp low sodium beef bouillon powder
Couple grinds black pepper
1/4 tsp granulated garlic

Also pack one 1-ounce tub or foil packet cream cheese.

Add 2 cups nearly boiling water to the pasta bag. Seal tightly and put in a cozy for 15 minutes. When done, drain off most of the remaining water carefully. Leave about a Tablespoon behind. Add in the cream cheese and sauce blend. Stir till blended.
Serves 1 hearty appetite.

Notes: Cream cheese in sealed packets will last for 2 days on the trail unless in very hot areas such as the desert, otherwise use first night out. Check for packets and tubs in the bakery section of grocery stores, you can sometimes find shelf stable cream cheese. For the ketchup if you wish to carry packets, you will need two of them.

If you would like to use ramen noodles, substitute one 3-ounce packet. Toss the flavor packet and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Follow the rest of the directions.

Notes: I liberally cover the dish with Parmesan cheese. If you want to find "beef" head over to www.harmonyhousefoods.com and look under TVP for it. The recipe can also be prepared with regular pasta - just cook your pasta for the time on box, then drain and proceed.

This recipe is one that is in our soon to be done second book :)

~Sarah

Hoop
05-28-2008, 17:33
Enjoyed listening to you on today's athiking podcast.

GlazeDog
05-28-2008, 22:24
Sarbar---
just recently got interested in FBC. I'm totally hooked. I'm using Skids setup from the video on your website. Thanks for your inspiration. I was curious about the flavored TVP's from Harmony House--are they any good flavor wise??? I don't need meat flavor--just something tasty. Any favorites??

GlazeDog

sarbar
05-29-2008, 00:05
I like the flavored TVP's but not a huge fan of plain. Of the ones they sell the Hamburger (Beef), Taco and Ham are best. The Ham is great with pasta.

I'd suggest avoiding the large chicken chunk style. The texture isn't great. The other secret is start small with TVP. 1 Tablespoon is a good amount. Get used to it - TVP is great for protein but also packs fiber. Then you can add more :D And for rehydrating or using in recipes? 1:1 ratio of dry product to water. All it needs is boiling water.

BuckeyeGRRL
05-29-2008, 09:54
I've found buying and dehydrating Morningstar Farms "Crumbles" works well too and retains the flavor when rehydrated.:)

envirodiver
05-29-2008, 10:36
Looks like another winning recipe Sarbar. Can't wait to try it.

sarbar
05-29-2008, 12:38
I've found buying and dehydrating Morningstar Farms "Crumbles" works well too and retains the flavor when rehydrated.:)
Yep! Good stuff :)

Farr Away
05-29-2008, 14:33
I use the unflavored tvp and just make sure the recipe I use it in is well seasoned. My favorite is Barbecue TVP - the result is reminiscent of sloppy joes.