PDA

View Full Version : Maupin Field shelter or Harpers creek shelter?

Nicksaari
05-28-2008, 20:25
this will be my first real overnight backpack trip. going john wayne style (solo) this upcoming monday, the first of june. weather will be superb. Ive chosen the three ridges wilderness, but having some trouble deciding on a place camp for the night. ive got this new mountainsmith tent ive been itching to use, i just cant decide where to pitch. i want to stay at/around a shelter for the social interaction at night, and want a good supply of water. ive been doing the research on both, but have no real experience with either. my friends of whiteblaze: help me decide! make my first backpack a memorable one. look forward to reading your comments. will keep in touch.:eek:

AlwaysHiking
05-28-2008, 20:38
Maupin is my bet. Great spot. Was there over the weekend. WAY crowded for the holiday.

It's a really nice shelter, water, privy, tons of tenting options for you.

Blissful
05-28-2008, 21:49
For a first backpacking trip, this is what I would do if you have the time and to take it easy. Take two nights. Start out in the late afternoon, early evening from Tye River Gap and hike the easy 2.5 to Harpers Creek shelter. Plenty of sites to pitch your tent, then cross the creek to visit other hikers.

Next day hike up Three Ridges (which is a tough climb) to Maupin Field shelter. Again tenting sites close by the shelter. Stop and see the views along the way.

Third day, go down the Mar Har trail back to your car.

If you only have one night though, then go to Maupin on day one and back via Mar Har the next. That is a tougher hike if you are not used to backpacking (but you are also young, so that is advantageous)

Whoa Bear
05-29-2008, 08:10
I really liked Harper's Creek when we did an overnight loop from the parkway down Three Ridges and back up the Mar-Har. The creek right in front of the shelter nice to fall asleep to.

Nicksaari
05-29-2008, 17:27
thanks everybody. i say this is my first backpack, but ive been before with others, this is just the first time solo, so naturally, im boiling with anticipation. im parking at reeds gap, hiking to the highest point south on the three ridges, or maybe the vista thereafter, and then retracing my steps back to maupin. i know that doesnt make sense, but i am strangely stuck in my ways. plus the benefit of being closer to my car with maybe some bourbon and vernors ginger ale waiting in the cooler after my arduous adventure. well thanks again everyone, ill give a synopsis of my trip soon. and i am officially announcing to you guys that im giving myself a new and more meaningful trail name: Ubiquitous. i am Ubiquitous.

rafe
05-29-2008, 17:31
Harpers Creek: The shelter itself is the standard government-issue box, a bit worse for the wear. But a very nice site, lots of good tent space on the other side of the creek. Creek wasn't flowing last September, but there was still lots of usable water there.

Thoughtful Owl
05-29-2008, 18:32
For a first backpacking trip, this is what I would do if you have the time and to take it easy. Take two nights. Start out in the late afternoon, early evening from Tye River Gap and hike the easy 2.5 to Harpers Creek shelter. Plenty of sites to pitch your tent, then cross the creek to visit other hikers.

Next day hike up Three Ridges (which is a tough climb) to Maupin Field shelter. Again tenting sites close by the shelter. Stop and see the views along the way.

Third day, go down the Mar Har trail back to your car.

If you only have one night though, then go to Maupin on day one and back via Mar Har the next. That is a tougher hike if you are not used to backpacking (but you are also young, so that is advantageous)

I'm with Blissful on this. Her recommendation is what I generally take scouts out on about the 2nd or 3rd bp trip. Take time to enjoy the trail. There is a great swimming hole on Campbell Creek near the falls.