PDA

View Full Version : College Grads thruhiking 2009 NOBO

BluSkye
05-28-2008, 23:17
Hi everyone and if you are graduating then CONGRATS!

I am graduating Feb.09 :D and planning to thruhike NOBO starting in late March- early April. I have a friend joining me when she graduates in May.

I saw a few other people post who said they are starting after they graduate too. I wanted to say hi and try to talk to some people ahead of time.

I have been looking forward to this for so long and its so close!! I am sure you all feel the same.

88BlueGT
05-29-2008, 00:35
Well, I'm planning out my 09 thru right now also. I wont be graduating (but I should be but instead I took a few years off from school :( ) but I'll be stopping college to thru-hike! Sound like a bad idea? probably... but its OK lol

Congradulations BTW.

Wake
05-29-2008, 00:44
I'm planning a SOBO...who's with me! Haha. Congrats and good luck.

Wake
05-29-2008, 00:45
*An '09 SOBO. I don't graduate until May. :(

Chance09
05-29-2008, 01:50
I graduate from WVU in december and will be starting my nobo thru hike early march. I'm going to spend the 2 months at home working and saving up for it then get started somewhere around march 5th or so. Is there not a forum area specifically for spring 09 thru hikers?

Think we could all get together and have a cheers to graduating? I'd like to meet everyone.

Chance09
05-29-2008, 01:51
oh and about not being able to wait. Its been tough. I had trouble not postponing my graduation by just droping everything and going sobo this year lol.

mts4602
05-29-2008, 13:17
I have a question: how are you graduating in feb?

Thats awesome though. I graduate May of 09' ...looking at thru-hiking as well.

Chance09
05-29-2008, 13:52
you could always graduate and skip "walking" to go "walking" :D so you could get an earlier start... Where you graduating from?

mts4602
05-29-2008, 19:22
you could always graduate and skip "walking" to go "walking" :D so you could get an earlier start... Where you graduating from?

Not sure if your talking to me or not but yeah thats a good idea. I go to the University of Louisville.

josiblue
05-29-2008, 21:25
i just graduated from the university of kentucky, unfortunately i was not able to get on the trail this year like i had planned, but now i am looking at 2009, but more likely 2010
~josi

Chance09
05-30-2008, 00:45
ya i was talking to you mts

BluSkye
05-30-2008, 14:52
I finish all my credits in Feb because my school has trimesters and i took extra classes the past 2 years to get out early to hike.

Technically i guess i do graduate in May but i decided i would rather walk on the trail instead of walk in graduation (the parents still arn't too happy about it ;) )

Are you guys thinking about using mail drops or buying food on the trail? I am a culinary nutrition major so i think i will be planning mail drops, not 100% of the time but enough to get some stuff out of the way. I plan to make some energy bars and dehydrate foods to help keep the cost down!

And yes we will all need to have a Cheers!

Chance09
05-30-2008, 15:35
I'm debating carrying a flask of captain morgans lol so its likely that'll be possible.

I was planning on using mail drops for the most part. I'll probably dehydrate alot of my own meals. I like to eat well and am going to make sure i do so.

Lops
07-10-2008, 11:09
I'll be graduating in December and NOBO hiking in '09. My school only lets people walk in May, so I'll be "walking" the trail instead of "walking" too! But hey, what better way to celebrate with a 2000 mile wallk? Hope to see you guys there!

Wags
07-10-2008, 20:04
i'm graduating dec 09 so i should be ready to go march 2010 :D gonna quit smoking while i'm out there! WHOOHOOO

Heater
07-10-2008, 20:14
i'm graduating dec 09 so i should be ready to go march 2010 :D gonna quit smoking while i'm out there! WHOOHOOO

I hear cigs are dirt cheap on the Southern AT and smokers are abundant.

Good luck! ;) :D

ki0eh
07-10-2008, 21:41
Technically i guess i do graduate in May but i decided i would rather walk on the trail instead of walk in graduation (the parents still arn't too happy about it ;) )

Life goes on without silly ceremonies. I've got 2 bachelor's and 1 master's degree and they still mailed them to me without any of that cap and gown business!

Wags
07-10-2008, 22:14
price of cigs matters not to a smoker. the addiction makes us not care and we smoke em regardless

Moon Monster
07-11-2008, 00:41

You can do both. It will add to the adventure of the whole experience--getting off the Trail for something like that. Lots of folks are in this situation every year and manage it with happiness. Consider it a gift to your parents. Better yet, do what you need to do to leave both options open and decide after you've been on trail for a while.

Lops
07-11-2008, 10:18
You can do both. It will add to the adventure of the whole experience--getting off the Trail for something like that. Lots of folks are in this situation every year and manage it with happiness. Consider it a gift to your parents. Better yet, do what you need to do to leave both options open and decide after you've been on trail for a while.

I've definately considered that, but it's so expensive to fly home!

I didn't go to my undergrad ceremony b/c I was in scotland with a class (a great way to finish off my B.S.). My parents weren't too happy, but they understood that I was doing something that meant a lot to me and was a rare opportunity...and I would definately call thru-hiking the AT a rare and amazing opportunity!