PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Quote of mine

Chance09
05-29-2008, 12:04
I think this is something everyone on here will appreciate.

"The necessities of life are food, shelter, warmth, and clothing. When we have obtained these it is claimed, there is an alternative to struggling for the luxuries. That is to take on the adventure of life itself, our vacation from humbler toil having commenced."

Now if only i could remember where i got it from...

Kerosene
05-29-2008, 12:10
After a quick search on the Internet (and of course everything you read on the Internet is true), I found this quote posted at this bulletin board site (http://ask.metafilter.com/63049/Music-that-inspires-you-to-do-less-with-your-life) with attribution to Bradford Angier from his book How to Stay Alive in the Woods. Initially I thought it might be a quote from Thomas Maslow and his hierarchy of needs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs).

Chance09
05-29-2008, 13:17
thanks, i'd forgotten the latter part of that quote.

Bare Bear
05-29-2008, 23:00
"What we carry is a reflection of our fears." Jellybean 06' The big first aid kits are those that fear injury. Etc. TRUTH

mkmangold
05-29-2008, 23:35
"What we carry is a reflection of our fears." Jellybean 06' The big first aid kits are those that fear injury. Etc. TRUTH

"Keep moving: death is very, very still."
Grandma Lily Hennessy, 1906-1980

veteran
05-30-2008, 11:03
Why, an Indian would die laughing his head off if he saw [that] trail. I would never have started this trip if I had known how tough it was, but I couldn’t, and I wouldn’t quit. –October 10, 1955 Emma ‘Grandma’ Gatewood, at age 67 first woman to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 11:15
I think this is something everyone on here will appreciate.

"The necessities of life are food, shelter, warmth, and clothing. When we have obtained these it is claimed, there is an alternative to struggling for the luxuries. That is to take on the adventure of life itself, our vacation from humbler toil having commenced."

Now if only i could remember where i got it from...This could be no one other than Henry David Thoreau.

leeki pole
05-30-2008, 11:39
My youngest daughter graduated from high school last weekend and in her Valedictorian address, she offered the following quote. She and I have hiked many miles together and she truly loves the outdoors.

This was her closing quote, and when she said it, she looked right at me and winked.

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way."

Dr. Seuss

Dry eyes, I did not have.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 12:29
My youngest daughter graduated from high school last weekend and in her Valedictorian address, she offered the following quote. She and I have hiked many miles together and she truly loves the outdoors.

This was her closing quote, and when she said it, she looked right at me and winked.

Dr. Seuss

Congratulations on your daughter's success to be Valedictorian. Excellent quote.

My daughter graduated last Sunday and dry eyes are not for graduations. I wonder if everyone transposes this little person running around the house screaming Daddy, daddy, daddy or meeting you on a full run at the front door after work, for the young lady or man that is walking across that stage.

One of my new favorite quotes I read on here. It was in someone's signature it said "you only truly own what you can carry on a dead run". Maybe I just like it because it states where I am at this moment trying to simplify my life.

Awol2003
05-30-2008, 14:15
"Before I left home, I had told someone that part of my purpose for the trip was to be inconvenienced so that I might see what would come from dislocation and disrupted custom. Answer: severe irritability."
- William Least-Heat Moon in Blue Highways

The author loved his trip, but we all have these moments.

The Cheat
05-30-2008, 14:24
“I think,” said Christopher Robin, “that we ought
to eat all our provisions now, so that we shant’ have
so much to carry.”—A.A. Milne

kanga
05-30-2008, 14:29
"Where the red deer leap
And the panther creep
Where the trout jump high
To catch the fly
Where the eagle cry
From the tempest high
This is my home
In the mountains alone."

- E.G. Daily, 1838

sirbingo
05-30-2008, 15:16
I've always liked
"there is nothing we can hold on to in this world. Only by letting go can we truly possess what is real"

chiefduffy
05-30-2008, 16:48
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

rafe
05-30-2008, 17:02
Wherever you go... there you are. (Buckaroo Bonzai.)

johnny quest
05-30-2008, 17:14
"Before I left home, I had told someone that part of my purpose for the trip was to be inconvenienced so that I might see what would come from dislocation and disrupted custom. Answer: severe irritability."
- William Least-Heat Moon in Blue Highways

The author loved his trip, but we all have these moments.

great book. i heard dennis miller recommend it on his radio show and i found it at a used book store. recommended reading for any wanderlust!!!!

Summit
07-12-2008, 18:31
One of my favorite quotes:

"God made us for Himself: that is the only explanation that satisfies the heart of a thinking man, whatever his wild reason may say. Should faulty education and perverse reasoning lead a man to conclude otherwise, there is little that any Christian can do for him. For such a man I have no message. My appeal is addressed to those who have been previously taught in secret by the wisdom of God; I speak to thirsty hearts whose longings have been wakened by the touch of God within them, and such as they need no reasoned proof. Their restless hearts furnish all the proof they need." - A.W. Tozer, "The Pursuit of God"

sheepdog
07-12-2008, 18:38
Adventures are cold nasty things, they make you late for supper.
Bilbo Baggins.(as best I can remember)
"The Hobbit"

le loupe
07-12-2008, 18:59
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright

drastic_quench
07-12-2008, 19:27
"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
--Vince Lombardi

Heater
07-13-2008, 00:13
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least Im enjoying the ride...

-Jerry Garcia RIP

funkcicle
07-13-2008, 00:25
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe
But at least Im enjoying the ride...

-John Perry Barlow
:banana

Heater
07-13-2008, 00:57
:banana

That's right! :D

chazmo
07-16-2008, 16:58
"Do not pay too much for the whistle." Benjamin Franklin

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Whistle

minnesotasmith
07-16-2008, 18:02
"And I will not be won by weaklings, subtle, suave, and mild,
but by men with the hearts of Vikings, and the simple faith of a child."
Robert Service

"Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
Yeats

"The first question which you will ask and which I must try to answer is this, "What is the use of climbing Mount Everest?" and my answer must at once be, "It is no use." There is not the slightest prospect of any gain whatsoever. Oh, we may learn a little about the behavior of the human body at high altitudes, and possibly medical men may turn our observation to some account for the purposes of aviation. But otherwise nothing will come of it. We shall not bring back a single bit of gold or silver, not a gem, nor any coal or iron. We shall not find a single foot of earth that can be planted with crops to raise food. It's no use. So, if you cannot understand that there is something in man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to enjoy life. That is what life means and what life is for."
George Leigh Mallory

"It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop." Confucius

"Climbing is, above all, a matter of integrity."
Gaston Rebufat

"The pleasure of risk is in the control needed to ride it with assurance so that what appears dangerous to the outsider is, to the participant, simply a matter of intelligence, skill, intuition, coordination- in a word, experience. Climbing in particular, is a parodoxically intellectual pastime, but with this difference: you have to think with your body. Every move has to be worked out in terms of playing chess with you body. If I make a mistake the consequences are immediate, obvious, embarrassing, and possibly painful. For a brief period I am directly responsible for my actions. In that beautiful, silent, world of mountains, it seems to me worth a little risk."
A.Alvarez

"To qualify for mountain rescue work, you have to pass our test. The doctor holds a flashlight to your ear. If he can see light coming out the other one, you qualify."
Willi Pfisterer

"Unhappy is he to whom the memories of childhood bring only fear and sadness."
H.P. Lovecraft

"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry."
Thomas Jefferson

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock."
Thomas Jefferson

"One man with courage is a majority."
Thomas Jefferson

"Walking is the best possible exercise."
Thomas Jefferson

"Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong."
Ayn Rand

"The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it."
Ayn Rand

"Man’s character is the product of his premises."
Ayn Rand

jimtanker
07-16-2008, 21:08
My new favorite is the one I just heard today when my son (7) and my daughter (6) came over. "Youre the best dad in the whole world!"

My fav hiking quote is from Rock: "If you're in a hurry, then why are you walking?"

And from just about every Drill Sergeant: "Pain is only weakness leaving the body!"

superman
07-17-2008, 07:41
When my sons were kids, I gave them the same lectures over and over so they numbered them. At family gatherings, we joke about which number went with which lecture. They can still recite them back to me even though they are in their 30's now. When my son was about to get married last year we had this exchange. (I) "There is no such thing as the Easter bunny, Santa Clause or Superman." (He) Why are you telling me this?" (I) "Because I didn't want you to start your marriage with any false allusions." (He) "Should I give that a number?"

The same thing can be said for thru hiking.

rafe
07-17-2008, 08:15
There is no Sanity Clause. (Apologies to Groucho Marx.)

Bare Bear
07-18-2008, 18:33
Weight is everythign, everything has weight.

cowboy nichols
07-18-2008, 18:49
"What is on the other side of that mountain?" I don't remember who said it , I heard it when I was 8, I'm still looking .

Monkeyboy
07-18-2008, 18:59
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

- Emo Philips

Monkeyboy
07-18-2008, 19:00
You know there is a problem with the education system when you realize that out of the 3 R's only one begins with an R.

- Dennis Miller

Monkeyboy
07-18-2008, 19:01
A recent police study found that you're much more likely to get shot by a fat cop if you run.

- Dennis Miller

Monkeyboy
07-18-2008, 19:01
I intend to live forever.
So far, so good.

- Steven Wright

J5man
07-18-2008, 19:20
"Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time"

-Steven Wright

Mrs Baggins
07-18-2008, 19:26
My signature line........from "The Lord of the Rings" - "Fellowship of the Ring"

Mrs Baggins
07-18-2008, 19:40
From "Lord of the Rings"

"It is a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."

"Not all who wander are lost"

"I will go.......though I do not know the way"

Tipi Walter
07-18-2008, 20:28
Some of my current favorites:

"Are people more important than the grizzly bear? Only from the point of view of some people." Ed Abbey

"The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws." Ed Abbey

"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner, and by calling a homeless wanderer of the humblest birth who roams from place to place. My worldly goods are a knapsack with some dried bread in it on my back, and in my breast-pocket a Bible. And that is all." The Way of the Pilgrim

rafe
07-18-2008, 20:34
"The most common form of terrorism in the U.S.A. is that carried on by bulldozers and chain saws." Ed Abbey

And right on cue, this headline: Uranium Exploration near Grand Canyon (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3872547.ece)

4eyedbuzzard
07-18-2008, 21:20
...This above all: to thine ownself be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man... - Shakespeare

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it - Thoreau

Wisdom is complexity understood and relationships accepted. - Meeker

Nearly Normal
07-19-2008, 05:31
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Summit
07-19-2008, 08:05
Sin will always take your further than you wanted to go, cost you more than you're willing to pay, and keep you longer than you intended to stay.

Mr HaHa
07-19-2008, 09:02
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" Samuel Johnson

Homer&Marje
07-19-2008, 09:45
Dr. Seuss

Congrats, valedictorian i'm surprised i just spelled that correctly, quite a feat and a wonderful tribute to her father.

Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau
A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. ~Soren Kierkegaardith nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Odd Thomas
07-19-2008, 12:43
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Heinlein

Lilred
07-19-2008, 17:48
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, which holds forth the proposition, that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

LOLOL that is Hilarious!! Author?

BradMT
07-20-2008, 09:09
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner, and by calling a homeless wanderer of the humblest birth who roams from place to place. My worldly goods are a knapsack with some dried bread in it on my back, and in my breast-pocket a Bible. And that is all." The Way of the Pilgrim

Nice to see someone who's read The Way Of A Pilgrim... what a delightful little read...

Homer&Marje
07-20-2008, 10:03
Congrats, valedictorian i'm surprised i just spelled that correctly, quite a feat and a wonderful tribute to her father.

Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow. ~Henry David Thoreau
A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. ~Soren Kierkegaard
With nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Thats better. See you can edit your posts:D

MOWGLI
07-20-2008, 10:06
I've been listening to Whos Next for the past week or so. I seem to go on a run with that album every couple of years. If lyrics are quotes, that album is filled with great ones. Pete Townsend is a musical genius.

cowboy nichols
07-20-2008, 10:22
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. -Heinlein
You just discribe a Mother.:)

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2008, 12:39
A recent police study found that you're much more likely to get shot by a fat cop if you run.
- Dennis Miller

I can't resist -

Drop the Donuts - then run!:rolleyes:

J5man
07-20-2008, 13:27
"By the grace of God I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner, and by calling a homeless wanderer of the humblest birth who roams from place to place. My worldly goods are a knapsack with some dried bread in it on my back, and in my breast-pocket a Bible. And that is all." The Way of the Pilgrim[/quote]

That's cool Tipi. I have never heard that one.

J5man
07-20-2008, 13:32
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good" Samuel Johnson

How true! I have also read to notice how someone treats a waiter/waitress. Same concept. It always amazes me how some people treat service industry personnel.

yaduck9
07-20-2008, 14:17
"So you see, how smart or stupid you are, all depends upon what part of the planet your standing in"

The "Bandit" to "Frog" from "Smokey and the Bandit"

yaduck9
07-20-2008, 14:19
"Why a Duck; Why NOT!"

Groucho Marx