PDA

View Full Version : Back to back thru hikes?

Doctari
02-12-2004, 20:56
If you could: would you do back to back thru hikes? That is, no responsibilities, “unlimited” funds, great support base, good health, etc. I.e.: would that be your dream trip to get to Maine (or Georgia) touching the marker & heading back to Georgia (or Maine) all in the same trip?
I think that would be a great trip, but I don’t know if I could do it. You would have to start at Springer seriously early, maybe even January. And, so I think, rest days would have to be minimal wouldn’t they? That would solve the problem of getting a shuttle from the other end; you could even leave your car at or near the start, after all, it’s within walking distance :)
How about living on the trail & just doing thru hikes year after year? Boring? Dream life? A bit obsessive? You could have 2 apartments/houses, one in Maine & one in Georgia.

Doctari.

Desert Lobster
02-12-2004, 22:57
Ward Leonard did the AT 3 times in 1 year!

hungryhowie
02-13-2004, 14:33
Would I?

I came REALLY close to just turning around when I got to Katahdin and walking right back to GA. The only thing that stopped me was that my gear was pretty worn out and I had plans for making a lot of it myself...didn't want them to go stale and never get it done. I would have loved to have Yo-yoed.

Lucky for me, my girlfriend wants to hike the AT or PCT...so maybe in the next couple of years we'll get our shot.

-Howie

Peaks
02-13-2004, 21:10
I don't know how anyone else felt, but after I finished, I needed some time to regroup. I had pushed hard, and needed both a physical rest and a mental break from the work of hiking day in and day out.