PDA

View Full Version : How to shed weight...

88BlueGT
05-29-2008, 23:52
Hey guys, I'm just looking for general suggestions on how to shed more weight. I know this is a lame example but something like this... instead of carrying a pair of shorts and a pair of pants, get yourself a pair of zip-off's.

I'm just trying to shed more weight without giving up the few things that I really enjoy that could be swapped for lighter gear (my BA pad, etc.). I'm at the point where I need to start getting creative and I'm out of ideas.

Any help?

Appalachian Tater
05-29-2008, 23:57
The best way to get advice on shedding gear weight is to post your gear list with weights and background info such as season and distance.

88BlueGT
05-30-2008, 00:29
Yea I know. Reason why I didn't post up my gear list is because I have a duffel bag filled with misc things that I go through every trip and decide how crazy I want to get. My pack never contains the same exact contents (mostly the same, but usually some small changes). Heres off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm prob leaving out alot though.

Cooking:
GSI Extreme SM 1L pot (9oz I THINK, cant remember off the top of my head)
GSI Lexan Fork/Spoon
GSI Pot Scraper (1.4oz)
Pepsi Can Stove (.5oz)
Hardware Cloth Pot Stand (.5oz)
1 Lighter (.5oz)
Brasslite Fuel Bottle (1.3oz)
1 Bandanna (most used to wrap everything in before putting in my pot so nothing gets scratched) (1oz)

Sleep:
Marmot Helium (15* bag) (2lb)
Big Agnus Insulated Air Core (15oz?)
(I'm still sleeping w/ that setup because I still don't have a decent summer bag, so I just sleep with it unzipped and half my body out of it, or on top of it, and its still hot! lol)

Clothing: (not including what I wear)
1 Extra pair of socks
1 Extra shirt (usually to sleep in)

Raingear:
Packa (raincoat & raincover, also doubles as my pillow when wrapped in a clear shirt) (9.8oz)

Misc:
Tikka XP Headlamp (3oz)
Mighty Lite Lantern (2oz)
Map/mini compass
Rope
Sony Camera w/ protective case (7oz)
1 Small Pocket Knife (2oz)
1 Small Multi tool (1.8oz)
1 Small Mini ductape (.5oz)
Mini Whistle (.3)
1 Bamboo trekking pole
Cotton ball/petroleum fire starter (1 oz I think?)
FAK (5oz)
1 Nalgene biottle (5.8oz I think)
2L anti gravity gear watter carrier
etc.

Thats everything that I can think of off the top of my head right now. Any suggestions.

88BlueGT
05-30-2008, 00:31
and don't say the pot scrapper because I love that thing and its worth every gram to me lol. No gatorade bottles. Always bring camera.

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 01:03
You need to carry a magnifying glass so you can find the Small Mini duct tape.

Yes, I know that adds weight.

SweetAss03
05-30-2008, 02:17
Dude.. of the big three you only name a sleeping bag. What type of pack are you carrying and what type of shelter?

Besides that I'd get rid of the extra light, the extra water carrier and the multi tool. Does your pack already have a whistle (some chest straps double as a whistle)

Easy weight to cut however is off your pack, There are lots of straps that you don't need, and most straps are way too long to start off with and sometimes pockets that you don't need.

SweetAss

LIhikers
05-30-2008, 07:10
Do I understand right that you carry a spoon and a fork? If so leave the fork at home, you can eat anything with a spoon.

Kerosene
05-30-2008, 07:36
Consider replacing the Fork & Spoon with a Spork (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/campmor/search/main.jsp?command=text&ip_text=spork), which weighs about 0.5 ounces.
A good summer bag (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/WE2300) would save you a pound.
Replace your Air Core with something like this (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/torsolite_inflatable_sleeping_pad.html), putting your feet up on your empty pack (usually wrapped in plastic), and saving 5 oz.
For illumination, I get by just fine with a Black Diamond Ion mini-headlamp (http://www.rei.com/product/761399) plus a Photon (http://www.rei.com/product/632461) for backup, but then I don't try to hike in the dark either (-3.5 oz).
Jettison the pocket knife and use the knife on your multi-tool (-2 oz).
Replace the Nalgene bottle with a bigger 1L Nalgene Cantene (http://www.rei.com/product/670588), which can actually hold up to 43 ounces of liquid, saving 3 ounces.
Weigh and measure your rope. I get by with 40' of Spectra (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_pro_ursalite_bear_bag_hanging_cord.html) weighing 1.1 ounces that I use primarily for bear-bagging.With these replacements you'd cut out over two pounds from your summer setup!

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 07:49
Hey guys, I'm just looking for general suggestions on how to shed more weight. I know this is a lame example but something like this... instead of carrying a pair of shorts and a pair of pants, get yourself a pair of zip-off's.

I'm just trying to shed more weight without giving up the few things that I really enjoy that could be swapped for lighter gear (my BA pad, etc.). I'm at the point where I need to start getting creative and I'm out of ideas.

Any help?

I love my BA mat, too. I bought their new Clearview mat, 13 oz LESS than my BA insulated Air Core mat. I "field" tested it in my own backyard and it worked fine. I'll be taking it out for a week in VA soon. I've always used a Z Lite Pad with the BA (because the "insulated" part of it didn't seem to exist) and I'll still carry it for use with the Clearview.

gold bond
05-30-2008, 08:14
With all this being said I have a Osprey Cresant 85....a 6 LB pack. I have been looking at a Go-lite Odessy....about 3.8 lbs. I could almost cut my pack weight in half with keeping the same volume and with a few other changes possibly shave off about another 2-3 lbs. This would bring my total loss to apx. 5 lbs without getting to drastic and keeping some of my luxary items.We do not have a Go-lit dealer within 100 mi of me and I would love to put my hands on one before purchasing one ($200) so does anyone have any experience with Go-lit and/or the Odessy line of packs?

snwcmpr
05-30-2008, 09:00
I would suggest putting everything you call "Base Weight" in a sack and weighing it.
Then weigh all of what you would possibly bring as consumables.
This would give you a better idea of the smallest lightest pack you can use for all the gear you carry.
I have 2 packs I use.
A Granite gear Nimbus Ozone, when over 20 lbs, and The Granite Gear Virga when 20 lbs or under.
I like the ideas the group has generated with this topic, thank you.
Ken

Foyt20
05-30-2008, 09:25
A headlamp, and a backup led with a switch. Dont need a lantern. And only one pocket knife. I like the leatherman Micra which is pretty sweet.

I dont know what kind of rope you are carrying, but if you go to lowes (I know its in the Rt. 130 location) they have a light paracord, that comes in 50 foot lengths, and you can pick the color you want so it stands out from the tree.

Try to find a plastic clip for your sternum strap that doubles as a whistle. REI might have them. Or when you decide on a pack it might have one on anyway.

Change the fuel bottle to a plastic bottle, either mouth wash, a plastic flask, gatorade, etc. You can also find squirt bottles (I have 3, 2 4oz, and an 8 oz.) They weigh something, but way less than the brasslite bottle.

Just a couple thoughts since you asked :D

Oh yeah, and get a spork.

Wags
05-30-2008, 09:58
i agree w/ ditching the lantern - unless you can't read by your headlamp. hope you carry a set of extra batteries (i don't bother w/ a backup light honestly).

i took like 2 feet of duct tape and wrapped it around a small piece of weed wacker string instead of carrying a roll of it. i did the same w/ athletic tape b/c i'd prefer to use that on my skin (blisters and cuts)

i'd put the bandana to use elsewhere. i keep all my stuff (handle, stove, windscreen) in a paper towel inside my cookpot. light and can be used to start a fire in case of emergency.

do you really need the pocket knife and mini-tool? i'd probably just rock the pocket knife

i can't remember but for some reason i want to say you have an msr tent. i forget though :D

i also assume you usually carry the following:

-more than 1 extra pair of socks (i like to take 1 pair of cold gear socks. usually the best thing to keep me warm on cold nights)
-knit hat (same reason as above, although w/ the bag you're using these are both probably pointless hehehe)
-bug spray

88BlueGT
05-30-2008, 19:11
Sorry I forgot the "big three" lol. I plan on swapping to something else as soon as I can get a final gear list and I know how much space I will use. Right now I have a Jansport "Big Bear" 5000 that comes in at 3lb 14oz. I know theres alot of weight to be shed there. As for a tent, I threw away my ancient tent thinking that I was buying tarptent and funds ran low so for right now I use my friends TNF 2 man which I would GUESS comes in around mid 4's. Theres weight to be shed there. I plan on getting either buying a TT squall or cloudburst. Last weekend trip a few weeks ago I came in at a pinch under 23lb's total (food, water, gear, clothes, etc.). That was a summer trip with winter sleeping pad, sleeping bag, etc. just summer clothes (I actually brought a 1lb jacket with me incase it got cold, which it did. Its the lightest jacket I own though, I pan on getting a wisp to replace it). My goal is to get into the high teens somewhere. I should easily be able to shed three or four pounds from switching to a different ruck, sleeping bag tent and pad. But hey, the less the better :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em commming :)

88BlueGT
05-30-2008, 19:11
***** Big four ***** typo

No Belay
05-30-2008, 19:44
Blue GT, I don't know you so I have no idea what shape you're in. I was a gram weenie for years before it dawned on me that it's not always what's in the trunk but what's under the hood that wears on the tires. I spent big $ aquiring all the lightest gear and yet I was always 10-15lbs over weight. Finally figured out that it's a lot easier to take 5 or 10 pounds off of what's carrying your pack than it is to take it off the pack you're carrying. Extra ounces on your feet add up to tons per day so take a good look at your footwear too.

fiddlehead
05-30-2008, 21:35
ALWAYS be on the lookout for lighter gear than you are already carrying. Including: foam pad (I cut mine in half), spoon (i found an aluminum one in Bangkok), compass (there's a thread going on now about small ones), sleeping bag (put your money here and get a lighweight, good quality one), tarptent (no floor is much lighter than a full on tent)

ALSO, here's a trick that works: After hiking for a few days, take everything out of your pack and put it on 3 different piles: 1/ everything you used today, 2/ things you didn't use but think you'll definitely need, 3/ all those things you could possibly do without. When you are done, send piles 2 and 3 home and enjoy your lightweight pack. Have fun.

88BlueGT
06-01-2008, 03:32
Blue GT, I don't know you so I have no idea what shape you're in. I was a gram weenie for years before it dawned on me that it's not always what's in the trunk but what's under the hood that wears on the tires. I spent big $ aquiring all the lightest gear and yet I was always 10-15lbs over weight. Finally figured out that it's a lot easier to take 5 or 10 pounds off of what's carrying your pack than it is to take it off the pack you're carrying. Extra ounces on your feet add up to tons per day so take a good look at your footwear too.

I'm a young guy, 5'8'' 170lbs. I would say that I'm average when considering condition. I got a few lbs of fat on me but I'm working on that now :D (not to backpacking reasons but just to shed some weight and start lifting).

88BlueGT
06-01-2008, 03:39
ALSO, here's a trick that works: After hiking for a few days, take everything out of your pack and put it on 3 different piles: 1/ everything you used today, 2/ things you didn't use but think you'll definitely need, 3/ all those things you could possibly do without. When you are done, send piles 2 and 3 home and enjoy your lightweight pack. Have fun.

I like that idea. The fork and multi-tool are getting the boot. Thats about 2 1/4 oz.... not much but its a start. I'm going to try and make a lid for my pot with flashing or something similiar instead of the pan/lid thats on there now. Should save a few oz's with that too. Oh yea, and if I try hard I should be able to shave 1-2oz off my FAK. I'm going to load up my pack tomorrow... weigh it and than try and cut a lb off... we'll see how I do. I'll keep updated.

Still open to suggestions/comments! :banana

River Runner
06-09-2008, 22:50
Yea I know. Reason why I didn't post up my gear list is because I have a duffel bag filled with misc things that I go through every trip and decide how crazy I want to get. My pack never contains the same exact contents (mostly the same, but usually some small changes). Heres off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm prob leaving out alot though.

Cooking:
GSI Extreme SM 1L pot (9oz I THINK, cant remember off the top of my head)
GSI Lexan Fork/Spoon
GSI Pot Scraper (1.4oz)
Pepsi Can Stove (.5oz)
Hardware Cloth Pot Stand (.5oz)
1 Lighter (.5oz)
Brasslite Fuel Bottle (1.3oz)
1 Bandanna (most used to wrap everything in before putting in my pot so nothing gets scratched) (1oz)

Any suggestions.

If you freezer bag cook, you can get by with a beer can for a pot and if you use Esbit, you can eliminate the fuel bottle and the beloved Pot Scraper.

The HPS Esbit Stove (second one down on this page (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/stovescookinggear.htm)) is the lightest little stove I know of - no pot stand necessary, works with an aluminum can pot, whole kitchen is well under 4 oz.

Johnny Swank
06-10-2008, 10:03
Do as I say, not necessarily as I do, but the best weight to lose (if you have any extra) is around the gut. I've gotten our pack weights down to around 14 lbs, so now I'm concentrating getting my butt whipped into some semblance of shape before our vacation in September.