PDA

View Full Version : Border Terrier

SunnyWalker
05-30-2008, 00:24
I have mentioned that Jack Russell or Parson Rusell Terriers seemed to be a good choice. But the more I read the more I think they are maybe a little too much for me. I read the other day at Barnes and Noble in a dog ency about Border Terriers. Anyone have any experience hiking with this dog? From the description, this seemed like a breed that would be more "controllable".

Ape 99
05-30-2008, 05:55
Border terriers are great dogs, so are Cairn terriers (close to same thing), great personalities. . .when they're adults. . .the ones I've known were hellions as puppies. My GF currently has a cairn & we've done some long day hikes (15-20 miles) he held up great & seemed to totally enjoy it. they are small, don't know how they would hold up for multi day hauls, hmmmmm. . tough little buggers though. . .

Frau
05-30-2008, 07:19
Terriers are terriers--high energy diggers. They have to be to catch vermin for which they were bred.

A terrier I am VERY impressed with is the Rat Terrier. Quite a few people around here breed them as squirrel dogs. They are very biddable and even-tempered, but can be willful.

Whatever dog you get, temperament test it, and check its intelligence. Make sure you get a health guarantee. Also, check up on annoying habits of the breed, like guard dogs barking, herding dogs barking and herding, terriers digging, etc.

The border terriers I have seen have been great dogs, but there are specimens of every breed that aren't so great. Begin obediance training the very day you bring the dog home.

Good luck!

Frau (groomer and trainer, as well as teacher and coach)

Two Speed
05-30-2008, 07:57
I have mentioned that Jack Russell or Parson Rusell Terriers seemed to be a good choice. . .You're a brave soul, Sunny. I've got a Wolf Hound/Schnauzer* mix that I love dearly, but there ain't no way I'll ever have a terrier or Schnauzer again, and yes, they ARE hellions as puppies! There ain't much on the face of the earth those dogs won't get into.

* AKA "Wowzer" ;)

RenegadeBuddha
06-04-2008, 12:53
I have a Jack that I hike with he is very young just turned a year old. We plan to do our last great adventrue and thrue hike the at when I retire. I will be 64 and he will be 10 so we will both be in the same stage of life.

It should be noted that the term border Terrier is now being used to describe a hybred between a
Border Collie and and Jack. They are being bread most for dog sports Flyball and agility.

Rouen
06-04-2008, 21:09
It should be noted that the term border Terrier is now being used to describe a hybred between a
Border Collie and and Jack. They are being bread most for dog sports Flyball and agility.

I think they've changed that and are starting to call them border jacks instead
I think any terrier will have the determination and the energy to hike, it's just finding the right temperment and mental energy for the handler thats tricky

RenegadeBuddha
06-04-2008, 21:57
I think they've changed that and are starting to call them border jacks instead
I think any terrier will have the determination and the energy to hike, it's just finding the right temperment and mental energy for the handler thats tricky

you are correct Border Jack it is

Nearly Normal
06-05-2008, 01:52
Need more of them on the border.

RenegadeBuddha
06-05-2008, 09:59
Need more of them on the border.

Well If my jack was there we would always know when someone was coming across:)

leeki pole
06-05-2008, 10:15
Get ready if you get any terrier, my mountain fiest can jump clear over a 36" fence from a standing stop. And she can outrun both of my Labs, has moves Barry Sanders would be proud of. Sweet and loyal dog, just extremely active. She could hike the trail, easily. Much easier that me.

Pepsi la
06-05-2008, 23:19
Wow, must be some fellow/fella Flyballers on this list?
My JRTs would be the LAST dogs I'd ever hike with, although I love the breed and especially adore my boys. HUNT-KILL-DIG-BARK and even though mine are pretty civilized, even the best have some dog aggression issues. I've always considered owning Jack Russells to be akin to a 24 hour suicide watch. I take them on lots of day hikes and we do lots of car camping but any long distance hiking would be too much work!
A Border Jack will hopefully be my next pup...LOVE my now old Border Collie too...best of both worlds?

RenegadeBuddha
06-06-2008, 16:30
So far we do not have any dog agression problems. We hike a lot with a hiking with dog groups. The dogs have a ball of leash all of them.

esabacz
09-23-2008, 01:10
I have a CoJack, which is a corgi/JRT mix. She is absolutely the best dog with the sweetest temperment. The corgi mellows out the jack....about as much as anything can. She can go-go-go-go-go-go and not stop. Even if we hike 6 miles, she'll sleep for about 10min and want to play. Very smart, protective (as much as a 25lb dog can be) and very strong for her size. Her "little sister" is our 8 month old , 48lbs assuie...which she can litterally drag accross the living room floor.

However, I will say this terriers are terriers. Terriers are very strong willed. If you are not a very strong willed individually, with lots of patienced and are not able to devote allot of your time to playing /working with them, they will drive you crazy. The JRT side, like all terriers, are very mischievious (SP). Either give them something to play with, or the will find something to play with.My cojack thinks if your awake and here, then you should be playing with me, always. Recall is not hurddle. Terriers are notorius for bad recall and backing, digging, etc. We had to work with our ALLOT to get her not to be yappy and dart off at every oppotunity. Of lead training is very difficult, but it can be done and should be. Every dog will eventually get loose someway some how, so it go to figure out to get them to come back. If you have the will, time and paitence, a terrier can make a great dog (any of them) I'm kinda patrial to my mutt (of course), but it will take allot more work than most other dogs.

Also, just throwing it out there, an Austriallian shepperd would make a good trail dog if you didn't want to go the teirrer route. Having one of each, although I could never pick one over the other, I will say the Assuie so allot easier to train, all around than my Cojack. There are much more willing to Please you, instead of the other way around (being the terrier way)

My 2 cents.

esabacz
09-23-2008, 01:12
I have a CoJack, which is a corgi/JRT mix. She is absolutely the best dog with the sweetest temperment. The corgi mellows out the jack....about as much as anything can. She can go-go-go-go-go-go and not stop. Even if we hike 6 miles, she'll sleep for about 10min and want to play. Very smart, protective (as much as a 25lb dog can be) and very strong for her size. Her "little sister" is our 8 month old , 48lbs assuie...which she can litterally drag accross the living room floor.

However, I will say this terriers are terriers. Terriers are very strong willed. If you are not a very strong willed individually, with lots of patienced and are not able to devote allot of your time to playing /working with them, they will drive you crazy. The JRT side, like all terriers, are very mischievious (SP). Either give them something to play with, or the will find something to play with.My cojack thinks if your awake and here, then you should be playing with me, always. Recall is not hurddle. Terriers are notorius for bad recall and backing, digging, etc. We had to work with our ALLOT to get her not to be yappy and dart off at every oppotunity. Of lead training is very difficult, but it can be done and should be. Every dog will eventually get loose someway some how, so it go to figure out to get them to come back. If you have the will, time and paitence, a terrier can make a great dog (any of them) I'm kinda patrial to my mutt (of course), but it will take allot more work than most other dogs.

Also, just throwing it out there, an Austriallian shepperd would make a good trail dog if you didn't want to go the teirrer route. Having one of each, although I could never pick one over the other, I will say the Assuie so allot easier to train, all around than my Cojack. There are much more willing to Please you, instead of the other way around (being the terrier way)

My 2 cents.

P.S. I meant to say that recall IS a hurdle.
Good luck with your dog search

cool breeze
09-23-2008, 19:25
We have a Jack Russell-Rat terrier mix (Jack-rat). I think too that the breed is really high srtung. I only hike with her when I am alone and want protection-she is really aggessive.
We do however, have a male Chihuahua that loves to hike-now, he is unique because I think that this breed in general are not hikers. He love the AT and even carries his doggie peanut butter power bars in his pack (he is only 5 pounds).