PDA

View Full Version : dogs in shelters

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Appalachian Tater
06-23-2008, 16:31
I guess anybody can bring whatever they want into a shelter and if others don't like it they can piss off.

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:34
ooh, i'll bring a tater. that oughta piss everybody off.

gaga
06-23-2008, 16:38
I guess anybody can bring whatever they want into a shelter and if others don't like it they can piss off.
i`m going to step (whit both legs) into dog poop, and bring it into the shelter :D:D

Appalachian Tater
06-23-2008, 16:42
i`m going to step (whit both legs) into dog poop, and bring it into the shelter :D:DWell, I guess you have that right as long as it is well-behaved poop. No one could possibly object to YOUR well-behaved poop. It's only others', poorly-behaved poop that is offensive.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-23-2008, 16:43
This has been said before, but it bears repeating: This is a crazy-ass year for ticks. When I was in Shenendoah Park last week, that's what everyone was talking about. Everone, without exception, was all ticked out.

And needless to say, this would go for dogs, too.

Bringing a vermin-infested animal into a small place where other folks sit, cook, hang out, and most of all, sleep, isn't cool. Your dog belongs in your tent, period.
Great point, cook, hang out and most of all sleep in a vermin infested hovel. I wonder how many shelter mice have crapped on your face, or aren't they vermin infested?

Sissygirl
06-23-2008, 16:43
Not to be ugly or anything, but LW, you have been the bad boy on more than one occasion. I realize that I am probably in for it now that I have commented, but fair is fair. I have read quite a few posts where anyone who differed with you was put down pretty rude terms.

Moses
06-23-2008, 16:45
This is amazing! all thses posts to one question:-?

Dogs allowed in shelters? NO

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 16:45
Gee, what a positively charming post, Nick.

As to the mice, this hasn't been a problem.....I don't generally stay in shelters.

As far as cooking in shelters, well people do this all the time.

You'd know this if you actually spent any time on the Trail. :rolleyes:

Have a nice day, Nicky, always a pleasure to hear from you.

kanga
06-23-2008, 16:47
Not to be ugly or anything, but LW, you have been the bad boy on more than one occasion. I realize that I am probably in for it now that I have commented, but fair is fair. I have read quite a few posts where anyone who differed with you was put down pretty rude terms.

he is definitely a very bad boy. welcome to wb!

Lone Wolf
06-23-2008, 16:51

cuz i'm right and they're wrong. dogs should never be in a shelter

Appalachian Tater
06-23-2008, 16:51
This thread pretty much makes me want to take my dog everywhere JUST to annoy people...keep it up.
WalterP, I have interacted with you on WhiteBlaze before. I am 100% positive that you don't need to take your dog anywhere in order to annoy people.

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 16:52
Geez, Sissy, you should see how he puts people down IN PERSON!!

At least he's willing to say this stuff to people's faces, unlike some of the Whiteblaze candy-asses I can mention, who make sure to limit their tough-guy persona to the Internet. :rolleyes:

Nean
06-23-2008, 16:55
Depends on the situation. Empty shelter- no problem. Crowded shelter, no. A couple of hikers (plenty of room) and they don't mind- o.k. There isn't a blanket answer that covers the question. BTW, don't worry about LW as he will never be at the shelter anyway.:D

Appalachian Tater
06-23-2008, 16:55
Geez, Sissy, you should see how he puts people down IN PERSON!!

At least he's willing to say this stuff to people's faces, unlike some of the Whiteblaze candy-asses I can mention, who make sure to limit their tough-guy persona to the Internet. :rolleyes:Jack, how is your day going so far? This is just the first day of your week.

Another thing I like about Jack is that he will almost always say what he thinks even if he knows that his opinion will be unpopular. That is something I always respect in a person. :)

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 17:03
Tater, thanx for asking. The week is going just fine. Helping Ron and Laura in the store the past few days; looking to do some volunteer stuff at the ATC office the next few days assuming they have stuff going on. Have been presented with a handsome motorized bicyle to plotz around town with, and spent most of the afternoon trying not to kill myself on it. The town's jammed full of hikers, including folks I first met in Georgia and North Carolina, all excited about their first 1000 miles. Heading up to PA next week; if you're still in NYC, why not get out of that pest-hole for a day or two and join us in Duncannon?

No politics, tho; or drum circles or contra dances. Other than that, we're fairly open-minded. :D

MOWGLI
06-23-2008, 17:04
why not get out of that pest-hole for a day or two and join us in Duncannon?

He's in NYC - not Boston. :sun

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 17:06
Gud-damn, Mowgli, that was almost funny!! :D

MOWGLI
06-23-2008, 17:06
Gud-damn, Mowgli, that was almost funny!! :D

I'm the funniest guy I know. :sun

Appalachian Tater
06-23-2008, 17:25
Tater, thanx for asking. The week is going just fine. Helping Ron and Laura in the store the past few days; looking to do some volunteer stuff at the ATC office the next few days assuming they have stuff going on. Have been presented with a handsome motorized bicyle to plotz around town with, and spent most of the afternoon trying not to kill myself on it. The town's jammed full of hikers, including folks I first met in Georgia and North Carolina, all excited about their first 1000 miles. Heading up to PA next week; if you're still in NYC, why not get out of that pest-hole for a day or two and join us in Duncannon?

No politics, tho; or drum circles or contra dances. Other than that, we're fairly open-minded. :DJack, I certainly wish you had been at the store a couple of years ago when I bought my summer bag. I can't imagine anyone who could give better help in picking out equipment. If you haven't used it, you've seen dozens who have.

Unfortunately I am stuck here for a while. It is still nice weather, so I'm not complaining. When it gets a little too hot to stay around here I may do a little hiking, although I understand the ticks are terrible this year.

And you certainly don't need to worry about me with drum circles or contra dances.

CrumbSnatcher
06-23-2008, 21:06
Depends on the situation. Empty shelter- no problem. Crowded shelter, no. A couple of hikers (plenty of room) and they don't mind- o.k. There isn't a blanket answer that covers the question. BTW, don't worry about LW as he will never be at the shelter anyway.:D
nean and cooler that was a good team. i like your answer nean sums it up well. i also wouldn't like to be told what to do with my dog. its just over time i realized my dog was happier and healthier and more comfy in my tent. all it takes is a few hikers in a shelter, then your dog gets stepped on(ouch)think your packs heavy? wait til you have your pack and dog on your back,cause shes not able to walk. sounds like i'm reaching? maybe not. shelter floors too hard for thier hips, carry a sleep pad for them,first aid kit,and IMO no dog packs...:) cool beans

Yukon
06-24-2008, 08:19
WalterP, I have interacted with you on WhiteBlaze before. I am 100% positive that you don't need to take your dog anywhere in order to annoy people.

Right back atcha...

gaga
06-24-2008, 23:17
yes to dogs in shelters, but only if they wear this shoes:D http://lonelyplanet.altrec.com/shop/detail/28470/
(and then you know for sure the owner is gay) by gay i mean a happy person!!!

Lone Wolf
06-29-2008, 13:24
dogs should never be in a shelter...

...or carry a pack. this morning i watched a gal get out of a car at sundog outfitters with a big lab. she put a big pack on him, put on her pack and off they go NOBO. they walk about 50 feet and the dog stops. she coaxes him to keep walking. another 50 feet the same thing. the dog did not want to hike. never saw his tail wag or give any indication he wanted to go

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 14:45
...or carry a pack. this morning i watched a gal get out of a car at sundog outfitters with a big lab. she put a big pack on him, put on her pack and off they go NOBO. they walk about 50 feet and the dog stops. she coaxes him to keep walking. another 50 feet the same thing. the dog did not want to hike. never saw his tail wag or give any indication he wanted to go
you should of chewed that her ass off, wolf! you know whats good for that dog and what aint, you put her on the same page... if you don't help that dog,no one will. she might not change? but sure ass hell think it over, after you chew her ass. IMO

musicwoman
06-29-2008, 14:54
I am a dog lover, and have a sweet yellow Lab that I truly love.

Because of that, I would never think to take my Sammie hiking. The risk to her health would outweigh the enjoyment of having her along, and since she's still a pup (less than a year) I am sure her rambunctious behavior every now and again would not thrill other hikers.

Last week, doing a section in NY, we came across a few rattlers. Had Sammie been there, she certainly would have gone at them. I don't need that kind of aggravation, not to mention vet bills.

dmax
06-29-2008, 15:54
My wife went out a couple of weeks ago and bought my weiner dog a pack. She looks awsome wearing it. Can't wait to get pitcures of her hiking down the trail. I'll try to get a picture at one of the shelters and post it.

sheepdog
06-29-2008, 18:31
Last week, doing a section in NY, we came across a few rattlers. Had Sammie been there, she certainly would have gone at them. I don't need that kind of aggravation, not to mention vet bills.
It is possible to snake proof dogs. Hunters do it all the time.

winger
06-29-2008, 18:44
....oh great...lets put some leggings on the dogs to protect them from the snakes, along with the packs they are forced to wear, sounds like total nonsense....but then again I meet this sort of idiocy every day.

Phreak
06-29-2008, 18:46
....oh great...lets put some leggings on the dogs to protect them from the snakes, along with the packs they are forced to wear, sounds like total nonsense....but then again I meet this sort of idiocy every day.

It doesn't take leggings. Simple training does the trick.

Lone Wolf
06-29-2008, 18:50

dogs should never carry a pack

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 18:51
never seen a non-agressive dog get into trouble with snakes. the snakes usually get out of the way long before you ever see them. a dog that takes off to chase critters off trail might be bitten a little easier.

sheepdog
06-29-2008, 18:52
Exactly.....Leggings on dogs??????:D:D:D:D

sheepdog
06-29-2008, 18:56
never say never.....what about saint bernards with that little barrel of whiskey under their necks?

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 18:59
not on a thruhike

neo
06-29-2008, 19:01
:Di dont have a problem with dogs in a shelter.shelters suck.i no longer camp any were near them.thanks to my tarp and hammock:cool:neo

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 19:06
:Di dont have a problem with dogs in a shelter.shelters suck.i no longer camp any were near them.thanks to my tarp and hammock:cool:neo
the A.T.C. has no problem with dogs in a shelter either.if the shelter fills up,move out and camp. DOGS ARE MORE COMFY AND SAFER IN A TENT,SO NO ONE STEPS ON THEIR FEET...

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 19:29
I WOULD LIKE TO THINK RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS THAT ARE NOT ULTRA-LITE WOOSIES, AND ACTUALLY CARRY A TENT/TARP WHATEVER? WILL REALIZE THEIR POOCH WOULD BE ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE IN A TENT,THAN ON A HARDWOOD FLOOR. i believe the ammount of people that bring a dog into a shelter is significantly less than the hikers that bring mice to a shelter.leaving food behind, cooking in shelters,spilling food,throwing food they didn't want to eat into the brush next to the shelter,etc...

Phreak
06-29-2008, 19:48
I WOULD LIKE TO THINK RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS THAT ARE NOT ULTRA-LITE WOOSIES, AND ACTUALLY CARRY A TENT/TARP WHATEVER? WILL REALIZE THEIR POOCH WOULD BE ALOT MORE COMFORTABLE IN A TENT,THAN ON A HARDWOOD FLOOR. i believe the ammount of people that bring a dog into a shelter is significantly less than the hikers that bring mice to a shelter.leaving food behind, cooking in shelters,spilling food,throwing food they didn't want to eat into the brush next to the shelter,etc...

Exactly. I have both a tarp and a tent specifically for my dogs, sleeping pads, and Maggie has her own sleeping bag. No issues with them being comfortable.

CrumbSnatcher
06-29-2008, 20:21
Exactly. I have both a tarp and a tent specifically for my dogs, sleeping pads, and Maggie has her own sleeping bag. No issues with them being comfortable.
nice to see a few dog owners that get it, to many get too defensive,don't tell me what to do with my dog! my dog also had sleeping pad,blanket,med kit, snacks,toy,booties,etc... and all of it was packed snugly in my pack. don't care for dog packs,not on a thru attempt...

dmax
06-29-2008, 23:18
Nobody got mad, but I do have a pack for my weiner dog. It has pockets on both sides. She carries one Milk Bone on each side. This helps to balance her out for the first half of the trip. The last half of the hike she always seems to drift to the right.

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2008, 23:20
Nobody got mad, but I do have a pack for my weiner dog. It has pockets on both sides. She carries one Milk Bone on each side. This helps to balance her out for the first half of the trip. The last half of the hike she always seems to drift to the right.What about the mustard and relish?

Appalachian Tater
06-29-2008, 23:22
Exactly. I have both a tarp and a tent specifically for my dogs, sleeping pads, and Maggie has her own sleeping bag. No issues with them being comfortable.I think the real difference in opinion here lies in the fact that some people don't realize that some dogs have the status of children or even spouses instead of pets.

dmax
06-29-2008, 23:28
I carry the mustard and chips. I'd hate to brake her poor little back.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 11:24
never say never.....what about saint bernards with that little barrel of whiskey under their necks?

They don't do that anymore - The Monks that trained the bernards still have them but are not using them for rescue (from some tv discovery channel last year)

sheepdog
07-02-2008, 18:50
They don't do that anymore - The Monks that trained the bernards still have them but are not using them for rescue (from some tv discovery channel last year)
How disappointing.:mad:

JAK
07-02-2008, 18:57
I heard also that the original true St.Bernard was wiped out by some disease.

Here is some info on that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Bernard_(dog)

"The classic St. Bernard looked very different from the St. Bernard of today, because an avalanche killed off many of the dogs used for breeding. To further the breed, they crossed the remaining dogs with other dogs, but in the process lost much of their use as rescue dogs. The St. Bernard is among the heaviest and largest dog breeds in the world. The world's heaviest and largest dog in known history was a Saint Bernard named Benedictine, which weighed 152.5kg (336 lbs). Successive studies suggest that Benedictine was in fact 162 kg (357 lbs)."

Oops. It wasn't a disease. It was an avalanche. How ironic.

JAK
07-02-2008, 19:08
I would think that some dogs might be capable of carrying a small pack, but not others. I would think it would depend on the breed. Labs I would say definitely not, because they have trouble with their hips. Most breeds I would say no. Some working breeds, I would say maybe, but not in hot weather. I am sure there might be some exceptions out there, but I would say as a general rule dogs have definitely co-evolved to be trail companions with humans just about anywhere, but not to carry packs.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 19:10
working breeds don't carry loads. they pull them

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2008, 19:27
I would think that some dogs might be capable of carrying a small pack, but not others. I would think it would depend on the breed. Labs I would say definitely not, because they have trouble with their hips. Most breeds I would say no. Some working breeds, I would say maybe, but not in hot weather. I am sure there might be some exceptions out there, but I would say as a general rule dogs have definitely co-evolved to be trail companions with humans just about anywhere, but not to carry packs.
some dogs do fine with a pack on, but why? why put them through it. your on vacation why not them too? you chose to be on the trail they didn't. they just want to be with you anywhere you go. i was proud and capible to carry all my dogs gear/food. for me there was no other choice,the trails hard enough on them.

JAK
07-02-2008, 19:54
working breeds don't carry loads. they pull themThat was my thinking. Plus they tend to be rather furry.
Not all maybe. Not sure. Those dogs that dragged the stuff around, before horses. I'm thinking there was still some weight on them, perhaps not much. So perhaps very modest loads, but then I would still worry about overheating. I understand they don't sweat like us, but I'm thinking any material covering their fur might add to its insulating effect, like a shell over a wool sweater, and that could be very uncomfortable for some breads even if they didn't mind an extra 5-10 pounds. Like a St. Bernard or a Newfoundland. I wouldn't worry so much about the weight as the overheating. Anyhow. I think you are right. Some dogs are for pulling. No dogs are for packing, especially in warm weather. Maybe there is an exception breed out there I don't know about. Like the Chilean Llama Dog or something.

Rouen
07-02-2008, 20:00
working breeds don't carry loads. they pull them

actually quite a few carting/draft breeds were bred for and used as pack animals as well.

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:01
some dogs do fine with a pack on, but why? why put them through it. your on vacation why not them too? you chose to be on the trail they didn't. they just want to be with you anywhere you go. i was proud and capible to carry all my dogs gear/food. for me there was no other choice,the trails hard enough on them.I'm with you on that. I understand som dogs like huskies love to pull, but I can't see any do wanting to carry a pack. In cold weather I see some small dogs don't mind sweaters and stuff, but often that is way overdone. I carry everything when I hike with my daughter. She might carry a small satchel, and pick up sticks along the way and stuff, but I pretty much carry everything. Her job is to hike me into the dirt, and she is getting pretty good at that. When she gets heavier she will naturally want to carry more but right now she is barely over 45 pounds even though she is going on 9. It doesn't take much to add up to 10 pounds. I would rather see her put the miles in. We did 20km on our last day last summer on the Fundy Footpath, and that was very rugged. Every kid is different, but I don't think its neccessary to make them all look like mountaineers. When I see old pictures of indians on trails and stuff I don't see the smaller kids carrying stuff, or the dogs either. Cheers.

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:03
actually quite a few carting/draft breeds were bred for and used as pack animals as well.I was wondering if there might be some exceptions out there to prove the rule. Any more info. I'm curious.

Nearly Normal
07-02-2008, 20:08
I'm curious about cruelty to animal laws. It may not be legal for a dog to carry a pack. Each state may have different rules.

Rouen
07-02-2008, 20:10
When I see old pictures of indians on trails and stuff I don't see the smaller kids carrying stuff, or the dogs either. Cheers.

http://www.old-picture.com/american-adventure/pictures/Prospector-summer.jpg

http://alaskanmalamutes.us/images/army-wwii-pack-dog.jpg

I think the pack dogs look happier than the travois dog

http://www.firstpeople.us/pictures/art/odd-sizes/ls/Lakota-Woman-And-Dog-Travois-Rosebud-Reservation-800x571.jpg

JAK
07-02-2008, 20:17
North America would be the place to look since they had no horses. I heard there was even a dog on the West coast bred for wool, now extinct. I read some place that just about every tribe had their own unique breed, but very few have survived to this day, and some of those are mixed in with European breeds. Husky, Newfoundland, possiblu Nova-Scotia Duck Toller Retriever. Also some Carolina breed, can't remember the name. The Malmute looks very similar to a Husky, but I'm guessing there were once many varieties in the North. Many of the Inuit's dogs were destroyed by the Canadian government. Sad part of our heritage.

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2008, 21:20
JAK, like a lot of people, you have an overly romanticized picture of what life was like with the Indians. For example, you seem to have implied that they were kind and solicitous to their pets, never making their dogs wear packs or having the indignity of being treated as pack animals.

Um, JAK, I hate to break this to you, but for an awful lot of American Indians, especially those of the Great Plains, their primary interest in raising and keeping dogs was so that they could eat them. If they didn't over-work their dogs, it was cuz they liked them plump.

JAK
07-02-2008, 21:27
I know that many were eaten. They were used for many things, as today.
They had many different breeds, for many different purposes.

I was curious about whether any were used for carrying packs, rather than dragging.

I wasn't overly romanticizing anything, but thank's for the compliment.

SteveJ
07-02-2008, 21:27
<clip>I understand som dogs like huskies love to pull, but I can't see any do wanting to carry a pack. <clip>

chuckle....I'll tell Phoebe that she should hate her pack, not love it! If I get it out, she's all over me, running to the door, ready to go!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15979&catid=member&imageuser=6309

The Siberian Husky Club of America appears to agree, as they've come up with specific awards for pack-carrying Sibes that require them to carry at least 25% of their body weight:

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

but what do they know, huh? ;)

JAK
07-02-2008, 21:28
And save the 'um' Jack.

JAK
07-02-2008, 21:30
chuckle....I'll tell Phoebe that she should hate her pack, not love it! If I get it out, she's all over me, running to the door, ready to go!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=15979&catid=member&imageuser=6309

The Siberian Husky Club of America appears to agree, as they've come up with specific awards for pack-carrying Sibes that require them to carry at least 25% of their body weight:

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm

but what do they know, huh? ;)No need for the sarcasm.
Thanks for the information.

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2008, 21:45
steveJ, if i may ask whats the longest trip you and phoebe have hiked,and how many miles a day. how about any hot weather hiking. i think its cool that she likes her pack and you two hike togeather im just saying IMO that dogs that are going to hike 10-20 miles a day 5-6 months on a thruhike should not be wearing a pack. plus many places along the way they could lose thier balance and fall from the shifting pack. give phoebe some love for me,shes a good looking dog...

Gray Blazer
07-02-2008, 21:47
plus many places along the way they could lose thier balance and fall from the shifting pack. give phoebe some love for me,shes a good looking dog...

That's the main problem I see. Also, when the dog decides to pass you on the narrow ledge.

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2008, 22:12
That's the main problem I see. Also, when the dog decides to pass you on the narrow ledge.
my biggest scare was on the cat rocks in new york. were nobo on the rocks, i hop down a boulder and lift her down. i hop down another boulder and she thinks i'm back on flat ground so she jumps and were still 15 feet or so up off the ground.i was very lucky to catch her in mid-air. me, my 45 pound pack and my 85 pound dog teetering on the edge of a dropoff.

Shaver
07-02-2008, 22:20
I thought it might be neat to have a dog along and let the dog carry a pack. Then i watched the Applachian Impressions video that AWOL sells. I saw a dog on there and the pack was slipping and bumping the dogs head and etc., etc., as it walked up the trail. I for one don't want to put up with adjusting it all the time and hurting the dog? Dogs are dumb (not dumb in the sense of stupide) creatures, and will practically do anything to please their "master" including letting themselves be hurt or injured. I decided right there after seeing that DVD that a dog along was not for me. -Shaver

JAK
07-02-2008, 22:31
That Phoebe looks very comfortable with that pack though. I wouldn't rule a husky out for carrying a small pack. Not sure about hot weather. I think other breeds might make better long distance trail dogs though, but without packs. Shorter haired, leaner, medium sized, generalized not to specialized sized dogs would seem about right to me. The kind of dog you often see as camp dogs in old photos of Native Americans. Dingo or coyote sized. Yeah, they were probably for eating Jack. I think the kind for eating probably made great trail dogs. I wouldn't rule any dog out as a hiking dog, it just depends on where and how far and such.

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2008, 22:33
I thought it might be neat to have a dog along and let the dog carry a pack. Then i watched the Applachian Impressions video that AWOL sells. I saw a dog on there and the pack was slipping and bumping the dogs head and etc., etc., as it walked up the trail. I for one don't want to put up with adjusting it all the time and hurting the dog? Dogs are dumb (not dumb in the sense of stupide) creatures, and will practically do anything to please their "master" including letting themselves be hurt or injured. I decided right there after seeing that DVD that a dog along was not for me. -Shaver
dogs are not a true pack animals.it takes alot of effort hiking with your dog,and your right that dog would follow you to hell and back. they rely on you to make good judgements. its bad enough taking a dogpack with you,but i've even seen hikers loading extrawater or human gear in the packs, thats appalling to me.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 22:35
I used to make my girlfriends dog carry my water on uphills all the time. Dogs are great for carrying stuff.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 22:39
I used to make my girlfriends dog carry my water on uphills all the time. Dogs are great for carrying stuff.

that's inflammatory and not funny. delete it

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2008, 22:39
are you trolling or just,heartless ?

JAK
07-02-2008, 22:42
As long as the owner has the best interests of the dog in mind, rather than their own, I would still rather see them with their dog out on the trail, with or without a pack, then leaving them at home. Depends on the breed, and the age and ability of the dog, but I really thing the place for most dogs is out there on the trail with their owner, even if its just a few hundred yards on a weekend. Perhaps not as much risk or abuse as the dog is willing to take, but perhaps just a teeny bit more abuse than a loving caring owner is willing to give.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 22:43
Wha...?

bfitz
07-02-2008, 22:48
As long as the owner has the best interests of the dog in mind, rather than their own, I would still rather see them with their dog out on the trail, with or without a pack, then leaving them at home. Depends on the breed, and the age and ability of the dog, but I really thing the place for most dogs is out there on the trail with their owner, even if its just a few hundred yards on a weekend. Perhaps not as much risk or abuse as the dog is willing to take, but perhaps just a teeny bit more abuse than a loving caring owner is willing to give.Yeah, seriously. You can tell when you're hurting your dog too much. Much harder to tell if you're being overly judgemental about other people.

JAK
07-02-2008, 22:49
L.Wolf. I'm not sure Bfitz meant what you think he meant. As for dogs carrying water uphill. I saw this dog that just loved hauling tobogans back up this toboganning hill last winter. But that was hauling, not packing, and the hills were short and it was winter and the toboggans were empty. He would just run up that hill. The owner had to stop the dog before he got too tired though. I can't see the same delight in carrying water as hauling a tobbogan though. That's our job. We really are more adapted to that, I think.

JAK
07-02-2008, 22:53
Yeah, seriously. You can tell when you're hurting your dog too much. Much harder to tell if you're being overly judgemental about other people.Well now I think your just being sarcastic.

No you can't tell when your pushing too hard, just as you can't tell when your being overprotective. My point is that the loving carrying owner is more likely to err too far on the side of caution. Did you not read Aristotle's Ethics?He provides three guidelines. Try to keep up. Don't just keep stirring up ****, look stuff up.

JAK
07-02-2008, 22:55
Gotta run now. Cheers.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 22:57
L.Wolf. I'm not sure Bfitz meant what you think he meant. As for dogs carrying water uphill. I saw this dog that just loved hauling tobogans back up this toboganning hill last winter. But that was hauling, not packing, and the hills were short and it was winter and the toboggans were empty. He would just run up that hill. The owner had to stop the dog before he got too tired though. I can't see the same delight in carrying water as hauling a tobbogan though. That's our job. We really are more adapted to that, I think.
Hell, it fit right in his pack. He didn't notice, he was way better a hiker than me. But it sure made my life easier. Technically it was his water too. Sheesh.

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2008, 22:59
Actually, Bill the dog WAS a better hiker than Bfitz.

Better haircut, too.

bfitz
07-02-2008, 23:00
Did you not read Aristotle's Ethics?He provides three guidelines.
I take it "no harm, no foul" wasn't one of them?

le loupe
07-02-2008, 23:09
somehow this thread survives...

The Old Fhart
07-02-2008, 23:11
Actually there was a problem with the translation on Aristotle's Ethics on birds carrying packs and what he actually said was: "harm no fowl.";)

Tin Man
07-02-2008, 23:13
Actually there was a problem with the translation on Aristotle's Ethics on birds carrying packs and what he actually said was: "harm no fowl.";)

Was he vegetarian?

SteveJ
07-02-2008, 23:43
No need for the sarcasm.
Thanks for the information.

Sorry, JAK. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've posted that information on this thread, so I guess I did get a little sarcastic....

steveJ, if i may ask whats the longest trip you and phoebe have hiked,and how many miles a day. how about any hot weather hiking. i think its cool that she likes her pack and you two hike togeather im just saying IMO that dogs that are going to hike 10-20 miles a day 5-6 months on a thruhike should not be wearing a pack. plus many places along the way they could lose thier balance and fall from the shifting pack. give phoebe some love for me,shes a good looking dog...

CS, I wasn't suggesting that she do so on a thru-hike. The post I was responding to didn't qualify that a thru-hike was being discussed; but that the poster didn't see how a dog would like a pack. I assure you that my dog loves to hike with her pack, and that huskies / malamutes were bred to be not only sled dogs, but also pack dogs. They are genetically inclined to carry a load.

I'm only a lowly section hiker, so obviously don't know nearly as much as a real thru-hiker :rolleyes: (I'm really trying to comply with the kinder, gentler WB, but going over the same argument for the 4th time in the same thread really gets tiring, especially when it's already been implied in this thread that I don't know what I'm talking about since I haven't thru-hiked.). As I've stated in this thread, I don't hike with Phoebe in the summer, and if I ever am able to take her on a long section hike (several hundred miles or more), I'll have to seriously consider whether to take her or not. Factors I would consider are time of the year, terrain (I have taken her on one August hike - when I hiked in the Cohutta Wilderness area and we had more than a dozen river crossings in one day. I knew she'd be able to stay cool), water availabilty (she drinks about a liter an hour when walking in the summer), etc. She has about 450 trail miles in the last 4 years. The longest hike she has been on is a 50 mile, 4 day trip.

That Phoebe looks very comfortable with that pack though. I wouldn't rule a husky out for carrying a small pack. <clip> I wouldn't rule any dog out as a hiking dog, it just depends on where and how far and such.

Yeah, she looks pretty good with a pack on, doesn't she? She's actually been on a diet - has been putting on weight since we had her fixed - the new doggy diet drug has helped us get a handle on her appetite / weight. She's a much happier puppy now!

I wouldn't rule any dog out as a hiking dog, it just depends on where and how far and such.

I agree completely!

dogs are not a true pack animals.<clip>

http://www.shca.org/shcahp6e.htm CS, until you qualify statements like this with "ALL dogs are not pack animals..." (which I agree with), I'll continue disagreeing with you. Your opinion is not in line with the opinion of experts in many breeds, including the Siberian Husky Association. I'm sure you're a good guy, with a good heart, but you shouldn't make unqualified statements like this.....

Yeah, if we are at a campsite where the water source is a distance downhill, a couple of times I've emptied Phoebe's pack and had her help carry filled water containers back uphill....she's happy to help - and after all, part of it was her water!

By the way, shelters suck! Dogs and humans don't belong in them!

REBELYELL
07-03-2008, 03:49
Dogs need weekends too

CrumbSnatcher
07-03-2008, 08:13
steveJ, i wasn't implying thruhikers are better than sectioners. cause their not. and i know your dog likes her pack,all i was trying to say was she might not like that pack as much if she wore it 169 days in a row. no disrespect intended. have a good day...

JAK
07-03-2008, 08:31
I take it "no harm, no foul" wasn't one of them?Sorry about that bfitz. My bad.

SteveJ
07-03-2008, 09:06
steveJ, i wasn't implying thruhikers are better than sectioners. cause their not. and i know your dog likes her pack,all i was trying to say was she might not like that pack as much if she wore it 169 days in a row. no disrespect intended. have a good day...

We're in 100% agreement! You have a great day!

JAK
07-03-2008, 09:57
I just don't know how dogs can survive at all down there on that American beer. :)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25155&catid=member&imageuser=15584

Ender
07-03-2008, 10:42
That is a fantastic photo! :)

SteveJ
07-03-2008, 10:55
I just don't know how dogs can survive at all down there on that American beer. :)
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25155&catid=member&imageuser=15584

That's one "geared-up" pooch!

Was that taken in a shelter? ;)

Gray Blazer
07-03-2008, 11:18
Any hammockers with dogs? What do you do then? Do they sleep with you? That would be interesting. Do they have to carry their little doggie hammocks?

SteveJ
07-03-2008, 12:13
Any hammockers with dogs? What do you do then? Do they sleep with you? That would be interesting. Do they have to carry their little doggie hammocks?

Mine is tied to one of the trees that the hammock is tied to (see pic 1 linked below). If expected lows are very cold (below 20), I'll bring a CCF butt pad that she can use to sleep on - she usually ignores it...one time when temps were in the low teens, I actually caught her sleeping on it the next morning....the time that I forgot it, and temps were about 20 degrees lower than the expected 10deg F, she slept under the tarp with me with her nose buried in my back...I'm not sure who shivered more that night - her or me.....she managed to wiggle her way onto my sleeping pad and share it that night, tho....I covered her with my coat....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9221&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9221&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=7)

If it's so cold that I'm not hammocking, or I want to tarp with Scott, she has the option of sleeping with us - I tie her where she can either nose in under the tarp (usually a BD Betamid) or sleep outside. She seems to prefer the outdoors! (unless we're having breakfast - see below!)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10051&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

oh - back to topic, who needs stinking shelters?

JAK
07-03-2008, 12:47
I thought the topic was what kind of beer dogs prefered.
Nice photos. I really like that hammock setup and the light tarp,

Alligator
07-04-2008, 00:17
This thread has run its course.