PDA

View Full Version : dogs in shelters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 07:51
"a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i got banned from Trailplace for saying that by the over-zealous moderator, 7Sisters. same old Trailplace :rolleyes: he says that is a broad, general statement. i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?

Cookerhiker
05-30-2008, 08:05
Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?:D

gold bond
05-30-2008, 08:06
I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 08:07
Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?:D

in the thread in question i used no swear words and was banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements. discussion on Trailplace is not welcome. i just kept repeating my stance. 7sisters and the others are dog owners so thier little feelings are hurt i guess

jhick
05-30-2008, 08:19
banned..... are you serious??? I'd have to say that having a dog in a shelter with people who aren't dog lovers, would be like lighting a cigarette in a shelter with non-smokers....

Grampie
05-30-2008, 08:20
I'm with Wolf. dogs should not be sleeping in shelters. I once slept in a shelter with a dog and it's owner in the same sleeping bag right next to me. That was Marvin the Wounder dog from 01.:eek:

Roots
05-30-2008, 08:31
Getting banned from a forum for stating your opinion in a civil way....WOW!!! That sheds new light on Trailplace to me.

I am a dog owner and would never put my dog in a shelter although I have seen many in them. Not everyone likes dogs. Not every dog owner is considerate of that when using shelters. That's what makes it difficult for the dog owners that take other hikers in to consideration.

gold bond
05-30-2008, 08:31
banned..... are you serious??? I'd have to say that having a dog in a shelter with people who aren't dog lovers, would be like lighting a cigarette in a shelter with non-smokers....

Great comparrison!!! Well said!

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 08:44
I have mixed feelings on the dog issue. I own a dog, but don't take him hiking. I don't think I'd appreciate someone allowing their dog in a shelter without first asking me if I minded if I were staying there also.

The ATC says: "Take special measures at shelters. Leash your dog in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days."

I agree with the ATC here.

Sometimes I agree with LW, sometimes I don't. Amazing :rolleyes:. I don't mind staying in shelters sometimes and he loathes them. Just different opinions. We're allowed to disagree and make our own adult choices. And we can still offer our opinions and talk about them civilly.

Adults learn to disagree and still share the sandbox. It's called maturity. Children throw tantrums - and ban people from DB's.

jbone
05-30-2008, 08:45
I have to agree on both accounts, that it was too harsh and that dogs do not belong in shelters.

I was at Woods hole in Ga this past weekend and my dog was tethered 30-40 ft away from the shelter until everyone was done cooking and eating. Only after that, did I let him come closer. I only moved him closer b/c the other ppl staying there asked me if he could come over. Never once did he set foot in the shelter nor never will he.

-J

the goat
05-30-2008, 08:49
all dogs belong in shelters, especially if they're wet & muddy.:)

Flush2wice
05-30-2008, 08:50
I'm a dog owner and a dog lover. I wouldn't let her in a shelter because I have respect for other hikers. In fact I don't even let her in my house. She stays outside. I don't take her on the trail for 2 reasons-
She's not leash trained anywhere near well enough
She doesn't like riding in a vehicle. The only time she does is when she goes to the vet, and that's in the back of my truck, not in the family car. I love dogs but I don't want their hair, fleas or smell in my living, sleeping or driving space. By the way my dog does not have fleas. She does have hair and an occasional smell.

Sidewinder
05-30-2008, 08:50
LW is right, no dogs in shelters. I am a dog owner, but I would never take my dog in a shelter and I don't sleep in them either.

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 08:52
I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.

I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 08:53
Starting with the presumption that shelters belong there to begin with, NO, dogs don't belong. Asking others is wrong too. For whatever reason, most will not say, "No, I think your dog is doing fine outside the shelter. Thank you."

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 08:54
all dogs belong in shelters, especially if they're wet & muddy.:)

You may shortly be banished for disagreeing with a moderator. :D

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 08:55
LW is right, no dogs in shelters. I am a dog owner, but I would never take my dog in a shelter and I don't sleep in them either.

Not on Trailplace. I'm obnoxious and argumentative for saying dogs don't belong in shelters

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 08:57
Starting with the presumption that shelters belong there to begin with, NO, dogs don't belong. Asking others is wrong too. For whatever reason, most will not say, "No, I think your dog is doing fine outside the shelter. Thank you."

No kidding. When the dog took my dinner was I supposed to say "Hey no problem! I wasn't hungry after hiking all day." Or "Gosh the dogs are just so darn cute. Let me see what else I have in my food bag that they can have." :mad: Dogs are much like children - the only people who think theirs are so cute and wonderful and welcome everywhere are the owners/parents. Everyone else just has to smile and nod and hope they go away. And I'm a parent.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 08:57
I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.

I was doing a short section last Sunday and couldn't even get near the shelter to sign the register. "Cujo" and his mutt friends were all over us. Dogs need to be leashed. Apologetic owners is not enough.

And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 08:59
And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.

go to trailplace and say that

jersey joe
05-30-2008, 09:02
You were just stating your opinion, kind of messed up that you got "BANNED". As for dogs, I think it all depends on the attitude of the owner. Almost every time I met a dog owner, they asked if I minded if the dog was wherever they were. Courtesy by dog owners goes a long way. Additionally, people really do need to learn to have more tolerance towards others. This is especially true at shelters.

ofthearth
"a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i got banned from Trailplace for saying that by the over-zealous moderator, 7Sisters. same old Trailplace :rolleyes: he says that is a broad, general statement. i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?

Given your thoughts on shelters seems like it should not be an issue. And I can't imagine why you would be " banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements" :rolleyes: I think in the latest JB/WD....LW set to someone asked why this site could not be more like.... and then named a couple of sites. I think one of his concerns was that it did not look "good ? " for WB when new/other/ ( I forget the term) logged onto this site. After that I spent some time checking (under who's online) to see where people were looking (particularly guests) and noticed that few ,if any, guests(or regulars for that matter) bothered with the more contentious threads. I also noticed that the other sites had fewer members and fewer people online at any given time. I think someone pointed out that the diversity of this site is what attracts the large number of people. Some people want a site with no strong statements (or personallites) and that is the way the set up their site. Even here (WB) there is some level of what is acceptabe ( seems like someone locked the last BJ/WD discussion) :eek:

Situational (depends) - should have been an option. If everybody at the shelter has a dog( or likes dogs) chances are the dogs will be in the shelter. (Disclosure - I have a dog. We don't like to stay in shelters. )

in the thread in question i used no swear words and was banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements. discussion on Trailplace is not welcome. i just kept repeating my stance. 7sisters and the others are dog owners so thier little feelings are hurt i guess

" i just kept repeating my stance" might have been the problem. Was not sure how to quote a post from another thread so I copied and pasted the quote below. I think this link will get you there.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=632177&highlight=marta#post632177

Right on Marta!

warren doyle
Warren Doyle
Year of thru-hike: 1973;75;77;80;90;95;2000;05;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta
Do you really want my opinion?

Well here it is:

I think that if someone suggests something you disagree with, that you state your opinion on the matter.

Example:

Hiker #1: "I like the XXX water filter."

Hiker #2: "I don't filter my water."

Hiker #1: "Aren't you concerned about giardia?"

Hiker #2: "No."

And that's the end of the discussion.

YOU DROP THE SUBJECT.

You DO NOT continue to badger and beleager and waste space on the subject.

You DO NOT suggest that the original poster is some sort of idiot or imbecile or criminal, even if you think it's true. Keep that opinion to yourself and off the internet, more specifically, keep it off Whiteblaze.
Right on Marta!
www.warrendoyle.com

superman
Only dogs that are trained for a special needs person should be allowed to stay in shelters. Only people with special needs should want to stay in a shelter. People who stay in shelters are funny looking and ruin everything.

Yeah, I do that on a lot of things ...I start of good but then fade.:D

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 09:06
No kidding. When the dog took my dinner was I supposed to say "Hey no problem! I wasn't hungry after hiking all day."

No. You say, "get your G-D dogs out of the shelter. Now!"

Failure to do that, but complaining on the internet weeks later elicits little sympathy.

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 09:08
LW, what's the rest of the story? You were stirring the pot? Testing the waters? Weren't you? ;)

I mean, you don't even stay in shelters. What do you care about this issue?? C'mon. Come clean Brother Wolf. :sun

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 09:08
any responsible, courteous dog owner wouldn't think of staying in a shelter with their dog.

mudhead
05-30-2008, 09:11
And then you ask for their grub.

Hey LW. What did you really do? Fess up now. Any weenie calling? Does 7sisters use Lekis? C'mon, the truth will set you free.

Lone Wolf
LW, what's the rest of the story? You were stirring the pot? Testing the waters? Weren't you? ;)

I mean, you don't even stay in shelters. What do you care about this issue?? C'mon. Come clean Brother Wolf. :sun

no. just stating my opinion where all the posters were dog owners including the type A moderator. if you don't agree with him you get deleted.

i don't stay in shelters. Ahole dog owners are one of many reasons why

Lone Wolf
And then you ask for their grub.

Hey LW. What did you really do? Fess up now. Any weenie calling? Does 7sisters use Lekis? C'mon, the truth will set you free.

go to trailplace and see for yourself.

Gray Blazer
05-30-2008, 09:12
any responsible, courteous dog owner wouldn't think of staying in a shelter with their dog.
Or joining a discussion on Trailplace. Stay with your peeps at WB.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-30-2008, 09:13
Nothing higher on the evolutionary ladder than mice should be sleeping in shelters.

jersey joe
05-30-2008, 09:13
I understand why you wouldn't want dogs in the shelters but where would you draw the line?
No snorers?
No REALLY smelly hikers?
No one with bad gas?
No one who gets up too early?

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 09:15
go to trailplace and say that

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 09:16
I understand why you wouldn't want dogs in the shelters but where would you draw the line?
No snorers?
No REALLY smelly hikers?
No one with bad gas?

the AT and shelters were built for humans not canines. they don't belong in shelters. period

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 09:16
No snorers?
No REALLY smelly hikers?
No one with bad gas?

That's easy. No one who wants to put up with any of that. :D

Sidewinder
05-30-2008, 09:17

EXACTLY!

NICKTHEGREEK
05-30-2008, 09:17
Banned for just being you huh?

jersey joe
05-30-2008, 09:18
That's easy. No one who wants to put up with any of that. :D
Ah, yes, but that implies that all of those things should be allowed. If you want to control your environment on the trail, pitch a tent.

superman
Trailplace had an accepted platform of trail dogma. Half the atteraction to Trailplace was to see people run afoul of the dogma. Then the person would wind up getting banned. Some folks left with grace but then there were the others. My recollection is that trailplace was just not going to accept the changes that were coming along on the trail.

"If thru-hiking isn't the most important thing in your life at the time
you are doing it, then stop doing it and go do what is." --Wingfoot

If you told trailplace that you had to hike with a cell phone because of a elderly, sick parent you would be told to wait until the person croaked so you could leave your cell phone at home.

I kind of like trailplace...it reminded me of a DI that I had a long time ago.

mudhead
Common courtesy is sadly lacking sometimes.

People should have the choice of being near a domestic animal.

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 09:21
I think this is the thread in question. From what I read, LW wasn't just repeating "dogs don't belong" like a mantra, and it's pretty obvious from reading 7sister's posts that there could be only one outcome from the discussion - that somehow dogs have equal rights to use the trail and its facilities as humans do. I particularly liked this one from 7sisters: "My lab will growl at someone who comes up to the shelter for the first time. It's my responsibility to ensure that nothing happens and that he gets comfortable with the situation. I don't get mad at him when he growls, in fact I both praise him and reassure him that it's ok. I also reassure the people coming up to him that he's ok and that he was startled. I've never had any issues with him and people. Of all the people he's seen on the trail over his 500+ AT miles, he's only growled at one or two people while hiking on the trail. I took that as a signal about them and didn't stay to talk to that person."

What an a**hole.http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429

mudhead
05-30-2008, 09:24
Dang! I sound like a mirror. Common courtesy. I didn't read it all, does it continue in the same mindset?

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 09:29
You were just stating your opinion, kind of messed up that you got "BANNED". As for dogs, I think it all depends on the attitude of the owner. Almost every time I met a dog owner, they asked if I minded if the dog was wherever they were. Courtesy by dog owners goes a long way. Additionally, people really do need to learn to have more tolerance towards others. This is especially true at shelters.

And what do you think the owner would say if I responded "Yes, I very much do mind and you need to leash him up somewhere away from here." It would not go down well, would it. When they ask they don't want to hear an honest answer. They want you to smile and say "No problem."

mudhead
05-30-2008, 09:30
And what do you think the owner would say if I responded "Yes, I very much do mind and you need to leash him up somewhere away from here." It would not go down well, would it. When they ask they don't want to hear an honest answer. They want you to smile and say "No problem."

This is very much worth reading. By dog hikers, 10X.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 09:34
Ah, yes, but that implies that all of those things should be allowed. If you want to control your environment on the trail, pitch a tent.

Snoring banned? How can you ban someone for breathing. They cannot control it.

Smelling bad banned? Build a shower, then ban them those who don't use it maybe. :rolleyes:

Gas banned? Hard one. Don't know if it is a chronic condition that cannot be control or an invitation to a baseball game. The latter should be banned.

What's getting up too early? One day (or person) it could be 6am and another it could be 9am.

There are no shelter rules. Their are human courtesy principles, but they differ from person to person in the ability to understand them or agree to what they should be. Expect the worse and you won't be surprised.

If you are intolerant of human behavior, controllable or not, then tent. I do.

minnesotasmith
05-30-2008, 09:34
Trailplace had an accepted platform of trail dogma. Half the atteraction to Trailplace was to see people run afoul of the dogma. Then the person would wind up getting banned. Some folks left with grace but then there were the others. My recollection is that trailplace was just not going to accept the changes that were coming along on the trail.

1) Of course, I agree completely with the idea that shelters (and as LoneWolf said, the AT) were built for humans, not dogs. Even when a dogbringer gets to a shelter and it's empty, he still needs to keep Barky away from the shelter. This is BC another hiker could come along, even well after dark, and shouldn't be put in the position of having to ask the dogbringer to get the dog out of the shelter, wait for it to be gone, etc. The dog should already be away from the shelter when the other hiker arrives. As that can happen at any hour, as a practical matter that means dogs would need to never be near a shelter for a moment, excepting only when the shelter is located practically on the trail. In that case, IMO the dogbringer is duty-bound to keep on going past the shelter without pausing until he's gotten a fair distance away, as a reasonable compromise. Only when a dogbringer is passing another hiker would I hope that he'd bushwack with his dog.

2) Superman, I'd like to hear more about what you said that's bolded. I take it you meant in part that the trend WRT acceptance of dogs on the AT (trail culture AND law/regulations) is running against dogbringing, in the way that smoking in public places or driving while drinking/intoxicated are?

sherrill
05-30-2008, 09:35
LW, I'm going to carry the torch for you over there and proclaim "Shelters suck". I'll let you know. :D

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 09:37
LW, I'm going to carry the torch for you over there and proclaim "Shelters suck". I'll let you know. :D

i've never even said THAT on that site. Wingfoot is alive and well. i mean 7sisters

dessertrat
05-30-2008, 09:37
I don't care if a dog is in a shelter, but as a rule, dogs should not be allowed in shelters. It is because while some people don't mind dogs, and some dogs behave themselves, others don't, and as a rule, just saying "no dogs" prevents any dispute and protects the rights of those who would rather not have a dog in the shelter.

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 09:40
Listen, if you don't speak up when you see inappropriate behavior happening, you have defaulted on your right to whine later. You have also enabled bad behavior to continue along the trail.

That's not to say that a solo hiking woman should feel compelled to speak up to three big guys and their pit bulls. Common sense still prevails.

superman
05-30-2008, 09:45
My previous post was from very old infomation. I was on trailplace in "99" and had my journal on it. After my thru hike my life went through a bunch of changes and by the time I got back to it my journal had been deleted. I hadn't been on trail place since until just now. I had thought that they went out of business.
This is the voice of the 10% who doesn't get the word.;)

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 09:50
My previous post was from very old infomation. I was on trailplace in "99" and had my journal on it. After my thru hike my life went through a bunch of changes and by the time I got back to it my journal had been deleted. I hadn't been on trail place since until just now. I had thought that they went out of business.

It is quite interesting that the former owner deleted everything at the end of his tenure. If he didn't like what you said - deleted - if he did like what you said - deleted, just a little later. Another reason to always keep a backup of stuff that is important to you - journals and pics for starters.

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 09:51
Why is this in the "straightforward" forum?

Dogs + Shelters = Opinions

the goat
05-30-2008, 09:52
all dogs belong in every shelter.:)

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 09:54
every shelter should have a dog

jesse
05-30-2008, 09:55
1. I don't stay in shelters
2. My dog doesn't stay in shelters
3. I don't even own a dog.

CrumbSnatcher
05-30-2008, 10:02
i'm curious why people that say shelters suck,and they never use them even care about this issue ? my dog hated shelters too. to many smelly people snoring,bitching,moaning about not enough trail magic,making way to much noise being drunk and or obnoxious, spilling **** on other peoples gear. tear them sum bitches down!!!

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 10:07
i'm curious why people that say shelters suck,and they never use them even care about this issue ? my dog hated shelters too. to many smelly people snoring,bitching,moaning about not enough trail magic,making way to much noise being drunk and or obnoxious, spilling **** on other peoples gear. tear them sum bitches down!!!

cuz when i did use them way back in the day dog owners were very inconsiderate and let them run loose creating havoc. nothing has changed. dog owners like yourself are very biased and don't see the big picture

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 10:10
... tear them sum bitches down!!!

...and don't see the big picture

Sounds like he does sees the big picture. A nice pretty big picture. :D

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 10:18

That's actually a very good analogy. I like dogs, wouldn't want a wet nasty dog in the shelter with me, I smoke, but would not smoke in a shelter with others.

Just called being considerate of others. These are all examples of the folks that think they are entitled to do whatever suits them regardless of other folks around them and probably carry that theory into everyday life.

jersey joe
05-30-2008, 10:19
You are assuming that all dog owners are not nice people, which in my experience is not the case. I would guess that most of the time, IF YOU ASKED NICELY, the dog owner would respect the fact that you didn't feel comfortable with the dog there and go tent somewhere.

jhick
05-30-2008, 10:22
Shouldn't it be the dog owner's responsibility to ask and not the other way around?

CrumbSnatcher
05-30-2008, 10:23
cuz when i did use them way back in the day dog owners were very inconsiderate and let them run loose creating havoc. nothing has changed. dog owners like yourself are very biased and don't see the big picture
none of you know me well enough to judge me or group me with all the other dog owners. like i said before yeah i've had my dog in a few shelters, if no one else shows up we stay! others roll in we always pick up and move out to tent! making room for others

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 10:29
Some of you need to either start hiking trails without shelters, or start hiking trails where dogs are prohibited. This issue will NEVER go away on the AT. NEVER. Best to evolve.

minnesotasmith
05-30-2008, 10:30

I think I heard that when Wingfoot bailed on running Trailplace, he deleted much or all of the archives before turning it over to the guy who bought him out. Anyone who knows the picture more fully, please chime in here.

DavidNH
05-30-2008, 10:32
For once I am in full agreement with Lone Wolf. Dogs do not belong in shelters.

Dogs should be banned from shelters. I'd also like to ban smokers and pot smokers from being anywhere near a shelter. The trouble is, such a ban is unenforceable. There are many AT hikers who are just plain inconsiderate. Some don't care that they are smoking next to a non smoker who hates smoke and some love dogs so much that they can not understand why others dont want some wet barking dog in the shelter with them.

Up here in New Hampshire, pets have long been banned from the summit of Mt. Monadnock. But has not stopped a whole lot of folks from bringing their dogs with them. The ban though probably has at least reduced the number of dogs on this very over travelled mountain!

David

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 10:40
Dogs should be banned from shelters. I'd also like to ban smokers and pot smokers from being anywhere near a shelter. The trouble is, such a ban is unenforceable. There are many AT hikers who are just plain inconsiderate. Some don't care that they are smoking next to a non smoker who hates smoke and some love dogs so much that they can not understand why others dont want some wet barking dog in the shelter with them.

David

Yep. In this "ME, ME, ME" world, you are inconsiderate if you suggest others are being inconsiderate. Just move on.

the goat
05-30-2008, 10:44
The trouble is, such a ban is unenforceable.

......bingo!

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 10:48
Such a ban would be enforceable if weapons were allowed on all sections of the A.T. and a bounty was offered.

7Sisters
05-30-2008, 10:56

Ahhhh That seems to be the right question to ask.

Here's what Lone Wolf failed to mention. He's cursed at fellow trailplace users, insulted them by calling them names and alienated users by backing them into corners. A lot of the same stuff I've seen him do here.

The issue is that I don't have the time to baby him. I've warned him several times, asked him several times and usually what I get back is "he started it or same old trailplace". When the real issue is an individual that just doesn't know how to play with others in a way that doesn't create arguements.

Opinions are great - the spice that makes forums interesting. However it gets personal too often with Lone Wolf.

That's the part he forgot to mention in his post. It's not oh poor Lone Wolf for stating his opinion. There's a history and thankfully a lot of those negative posts have been deleted at TP.

So if you want to come over and chat I welcome you to. I just ask you not get personal with people and evoke arguements. There's a big difference between and arguement and a healthy debate

Peace be with you

Bear Cables
05-30-2008, 10:57
Well, my dogs sleep with us and we treat them like our "empty nest children" that they are but...I would not expect anyone else to want to sleep with them. I also would never take them hiking. The only camping they like is when we take the pop up camper. They like their mattresses.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 10:58

Here's what Lone Wolf failed to mention. He's cursed at fellow trailplace users, insulted them by calling them names and alienated users by backing them into corners. A lot of the same stuff I've seen him do here.

The issue is that I don't have the time to baby him. I've warned him several times, asked him several times and usually what I get back is "he started it or same old trailplace". When the real issue is an individual that just doesn't know how to play with others in a way that doesn't create arguements.

Opinions are great - the spice that makes forums interesting. However it gets personal too often with Lone Wolf.

That's the part he forgot to mention in his post. It's not oh poor Lone Wolf for stating his opinion. There's a history and thankfully a lot of those negative posts have been deleted at TP.

So if you want to come over and chat I welcome you to. I just ask you not get personal with people and evoke arguements. There's a big difference between and arguement and a healthy debate

Peace be with you

show where i cursed or called names. one doesn't just "chat" at Trailplace. you have to stay within your tight guidelines. you are very biased and closed minded. you have a dog, you feel they belong anywhere on the AT with no regard for others space. you're one moderator that has let your little power go right to your head.

dmax
05-30-2008, 11:06
What if after hiking a week or so around the same people you see every day, they ask you why you aren't staying at the shelter. You tell them "because everybody on WB told me I couldn't". They tell you to bring your dog and spend the night.
Everybody talks about a wet, smelly, and obnoxious dog. What if your dog doesn't fall into those catagories?
Alot of people keep a dog in the house, instead of tied up in a yard. A dog tied to a post has no way to learn how to interact with other people. A house dog also learns comands alot better than just sticking your head out a door and yelling "shut up".
Just so everybody knows, I use a tent. On an occasion, when asked, or the shelter is empty, I'll stay there with my well behaved pooch. I will sweep and make sure all is cleaned up before hiking on.
For all you dog haters, Keep feeling the hate. It makes me feel better.
Dogs are people too?

CrumbSnatcher
05-30-2008, 11:13
Shouldn't it be the dog owner's responsibility to ask and not the other way around?
always ask if its ok,if even one person hesitates move out and tent. problem is they say no problem,even if they do have a problem, they might not speak up. trying to be too polite. tenting is more comfortable anyway,all dog owners should tent (i carried a pad for my dog) the problem might be these bad dog owners are trying to ultralight too much and they dont have a tent or tarp.some even make their dog carry thier stuff! i don't like most dog OWNERS either, they don't take good enough care of thier dogs,and not enough respect to eveyone around them.plenty of a*oles without dogs too,by the way...and hard floors hard on their hips, and if you keep them in your tent it's safer for them so they dont go chasing after something and you respect the other hikers whether they had a problem with your dog or not?

AlwaysHiking
05-30-2008, 11:18
I don't stay in AT shelters. I have only ever used two over the last 12 years or so. I will tent around them, but do not stay in them.

I have a dog, one who doesn't bark, doesn't growl, doesn't steal food, doesn't pee on gear, etc... Know why? Because I don't let him.

Any dog on a trail who is in someone else's space or otherwise misbehaving is doing so because the owner has no regard for other people.

If I were to use a shelter, chances are you wouldn't even know my dog was there. But, I don't use them on the AT because I don't like the rude behavior of other humans. Don't want it rubbing off on my dog!

I'm in total agreement that dogs shouldn't be in a shelter, shouldn't be near the water source, shouldn't be guarding the path to the privy and growling at or lunging at anyone who walks by, etc...

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 11:20

Peace be with you

Your words: "My lab will growl at someone who comes up to the shelter for the first time. It's my responsibility to ensure that nothing happens and that he gets comfortable with the situation. I don't get mad at him when he growls, in fact I both praise him and reassure him that it's ok..."

No hiker should ever be greeted at any shelter or anywhere on the trail by a growling dog. PERIOD. You have no valid argument.
EDIT: Your ongoing disagreement with LW over whether or not his posts fit the culture you wish to maintain on your site is your business. But your personal position on dogs is disrepectful of the rights of hikers to enjoy the trail without having to worry about growling dogs and whether or not they can be controlled by their owners.

CrumbSnatcher
05-30-2008, 11:23
so when you used to use them,you had a opionion on dogs in shelters. you say now that shelters suck and only dumba**** use them. if you no longer use them why care? you can admit it. you duck under them once in awhile,don't ya. perhaps when its raining...

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 11:27
Your words: "My lab will growl at someone who comes up to the shelter for the first time. It's my responsibility to ensure that nothing happens and that he gets comfortable with the situation. I don't get mad at him when he growls, in fact I both praise him and reassure him that it's ok..."

No hiker should ever be greeted at any shelter or anywhere on the trail by a growling dog. PERIOD. You have no valid argument.

Actually 7sisters is being totally ridiculous. If your dog growls at people, even once in awhile, you should not be anywhere near a shelter, campsite, or other places where hiker's tend to congregate. Leave the dog home.

7Sisters
05-30-2008, 11:27

You're right I said that. My dog will know you're coming up to the shelter long before you even know there's a dog in the shelter. It's my responsibility to rectify the situation, by both reassuring the dog it's ok and letting him know what he's doing is OK. I've had no instances where he's growled at people while they were right outside of the shelter and could hear it.

I didn't come here to continue the debate on wether dogs should be allowed on the trail or at shelters. We're not going to change each other's mind.

I came here to correct the BS that Lone Wolf was saying about why he was asked to leave (after being warned repeatedly).

Peace be with you.

Gaiter
05-30-2008, 11:29
to start with, whiteblaze was the place i found online that was most informative of backpacking information (alot of info to pick and choose) I was kinda suprised at all the negative dog comments, so as I started to realize that my dog was going hiking w/ me, I trained her well, I took the 'dog haters' comments into consideration (yes there are people on WB that can back this up)

Now i'm going to skip over mentioning my hike w/ her and get to traildays '07 my first trail days, and i was shocked and amazed at the dogs and their owner's behavior. I suddenly understood what all the bitching was about.
Going back to my hike, (and not to brag just to point out there are good owners/dogs out there and to possibly help other owners) I hiked in a time where nearly all thru-hikers were north of me, so the trails weren't crowded, and yes my dog stayed in shelters with me, majority of the time it was just me, her, and one other hiker if any at all, she also stayed under the shelters a good bit too. I always asked permission, always offered to go somewhere else. Not one person ever had a problem with my dog, and often receieved compliments on my dogs behavior.
Key things: I was considerate, I was well trained and so was my dog.

Due to my trail days' experience with dogs, I understand that majority of dogs and their owners don't belong anywhere near a shelter, but please don't hate on all owners/dogs, there are good dogs and owners out there.

To add to this NO ONE WHO GETS UP BEFORE 5:30AM SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO STAY IN SHELTERS

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 11:35
What if after hiking a week or so around the same people you see every day, they ask you why you aren't staying at the shelter. You tell them "because everybody on WB told me I couldn't". They tell you to bring your dog and spend the night.
Everybody talks about a wet, smelly, and obnoxious dog. What if your dog doesn't fall into those catagories?
Alot of people keep a dog in the house, instead of tied up in a yard. A dog tied to a post has no way to learn how to interact with other people. A house dog also learns comands alot better than just sticking your head out a door and yelling "shut up".
Just so everybody knows, I use a tent. On an occasion, when asked, or the shelter is empty, I'll stay there with my well behaved pooch. I will sweep and make sure all is cleaned up before hiking on.
For all you dog haters, Keep feeling the hate. It makes me feel better.
Dogs are people too?

you're the ONLY one that mentions hate at all.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 11:37
to start with, whiteblaze was the place i found online that was most informative of backpacking information (alot of info to pick and choose) I was kinda suprised at all the negative dog comments, so as I started to realize that my dog was going hiking w/ me, I trained her well, I took the 'dog haters' comments into consideration (yes there are people on WB that can back this up)

Now i'm going to skip over mentioning my hike w/ her and get to traildays '07 my first trail days, and i was shocked and amazed at the dogs and their owner's behavior. I suddenly understood what all the bitching was about.
Going back to my hike, (and not to brag just to point out there are good owners/dogs out there and to possibly help other owners) I hiked in a time where nearly all thru-hikers were north of me, so the trails weren't crowded, and yes my dog stayed in shelters with me, majority of the time it was just me, her, and one other hiker if any at all, she also stayed under the shelters a good bit too. I always asked permission, always offered to go somewhere else. Not one person ever had a problem with my dog, and often receieved compliments on my dogs behavior.
Key things: I was considerate, I was well trained and so was my dog.

Due to my trail days' experience with dogs, I understand that majority of dogs and their owners don't belong anywhere near a shelter, but please don't hate on all owners/dogs, there are good dogs and owners out there.

To add to this NO ONE WHO GETS UP BEFORE 5:30AM SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO STAY IN SHELTERS

nobody has mentioned HATRED of dogs in this thread

Mags
05-30-2008, 11:38
Growling dogs in a public place ain't cool. Sorry.

I am pretty moderate on the whole dogs on the trail issue, but if your dog growls at a public place (getting territorial) that is not OK. Perhaps the dog stops before the hiker knows. Maybe not. Still not cool, though.

Another reason to tent for both dog owners and non-dog owners. None of this nonsense. :banana

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 11:39
You're right I said that. My dog will know you're coming up to the shelter long before you even know there's a dog in the shelter. It's my responsibility to rectify the situation, by both reassuring the dog it's ok and letting him know what he's doing is OK. I've had no instances where he's growled at people while they were right outside of the shelter and could hear it.

I didn't come here to continue the debate on wether dogs should be allowed on the trail or at shelters. We're not going to change each other's mind.

I came here to correct the BS that Lone Wolf was saying about why he was asked to leave (after being warned repeatedly).

Peace be with you.

nowhere in that dog thread did i threaten, curse or was obnoxious. you're the one FOS. go moderate your website

glacier48
05-30-2008, 11:46
I plan to hike and to take my dog. I will take a tent for her and I. This decision came about because of a lot of the opinions stated here at WB. At the end of a long day we will both be tired. Just as I want a chance to relax so does the dog. I try to be considerate to others and think of their feelings so after I hike all day it is easier if I keep the dog on a leash and by my tent. She doesn't have to get up to great others or mind her manners, which she does have. Both her and I can nap on and off and she can sleep undisturbed in the tent on my sleeping bag. I really think I will be too exhausted to worry about her behaviors or her barking if she did. (By the way she doesn't bark.) Keeping her leashed and out of the lean to gives me more space and time to relax without worrying about being socially unacceptable.

Glacier

dmax
05-30-2008, 12:03
You're right. I should have used dislikes/can't tolerate. Sorry.

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 12:04
I plan to hike and to take my dog. I will take a tent for her and I. This decision came about because of a lot of the opinions stated here at WB. At the end of a long day we will both be tired. Just as I want a chance to relax so does the dog. I try to be considerate to others and think of their feelings so after I hike all day it is easier if I keep the dog on a leash and by my tent. She doesn't have to get up to great others or mind her manners, which she does have. Both her and I can nap on and off and she can sleep undisturbed in the tent on my sleeping bag. I really think I will be too exhausted to worry about her behaviors or her barking if she did. (By the way she doesn't bark.) Keeping her leashed and out of the lean to gives me more space and time to relax without worrying about being socially unacceptable.

Glacier

Like Mags, I think I'm pretty moderate on the dog issue, and most hikers are probably the same. I actually like dogs, and own one (or he owns me;)). I like friendly well behaved dogs, even on the trail. I only have a problem with them under certain circumstances:

1) when they're allowed to run out of sight/voice command of their master, as it puts me in a defensive situation not knowing what the dog's temperment is, especially with larger breeds.
2) at a shelter or camp area if the dog is running around begging food, walking on sleep and other gear, etc.
3) if they're aggressive in any manner, like growling, overprotective of their master, etc.

Otherwise, if a shelter isn't crowded and your dog will curl up and sleep on it's own pad or whatever I couldn't care less. I just don't want to have to be constantly on alert (and sleep with one eye open) because I'm worried about someone's dog.

As for your hike, you have to carry a tent or tarp or something anyway, so it sounds like a well thought out decision. Hope you and your dog have a wonderful hike.

Cookerhiker
05-30-2008, 12:05

Peace be with you.

Let's see - you say that Wolf was cursing, insulting, painting people into a corner and you warned him repeatedly. But you chose a pithy, straightforward sentence about dogs - not insulting or cursing unless you (and I mean you) are extremely thin-skinned - to kick him off TP. You say "Opinions are great - the spice that makes forums interesting. However it gets personal too often with Lone Wolf" yet how was this particular post "personal" unless again , you are extremely thin-skinned?

And you don't have a problem that your dog ("well-behaved" I'm sure) growls at hikers. I wonder if you would have kicked off a pro-dog poster who said "My dog is my hiking partner, I have the right to keep my dog in the shelter and anyone who has a problem with that is FOS."

No, your position is untenable.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 12:18
Let's see - you say that Wolf was cursing, insulting, painting people into a corner and you warned him repeatedly. But you chose a pithy, straightforward sentence about dogs - not insulting or cursing unless you (and I mean you) are extremely thin-skinned - to kick him off TP. You say "Opinions are great - the spice that makes forums interesting. However it gets personal too often with Lone Wolf" yet how was this particular post "personal" unless again , you are extremely thin-skinned?

And you don't have a problem that your dog ("well-behaved" I'm sure) growls at hikers. I wonder if you would have kicked off a pro-dog poster who said "My dog is my hiking partner, I have the right to keep my dog in the shelter and anyone who has a problem with that is FOS."

No, your position is untenable.

The best part of his posts is the ending, "peace be with you". :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 12:26
so when you used to use them,you had a opionion on dogs in shelters. you say now that shelters suck and only dumba**** use them. if you no longer use them why care? you can admit it. you duck under them once in awhile,don't ya. perhaps when its raining...

this year in georgia i sat on the edge of hawk mtn. shelter. i do not duck in them in the rain

that same day while at springer parking lot matthewski was frying up bacon. a well known hiker's dog came over to matt's stove while matt came to my truck to get something. the dog snatched a bunch of raw bacon and took off with it. this hiker never leashes or restrains his dog. inexcuseable behavior

Yukon
05-30-2008, 12:26
I'm gonna teach my dog to go through others packs when they aren't looking and bring me food, this will lighten my pack so I can hike longer....

Yukon
05-30-2008, 12:27
I'm totally kidding by the way...lol

jesse
05-30-2008, 12:45

No. If you bring your dog. do not stay in the shelter. Its bad manners. A lot of people are shy, and will not tell how they really feel, they would rather put up with the dog, than cause controversy. Same thing about smoking. Don't ask if its alright, just get up and walk away and have your smoke.

Lone Wolf is right. This is a no brainier.

sly dog
05-30-2008, 12:46
I usually put my dog in the shelter tied to someone elses pack while i tent somewhere else. That way i dont have to hear them bitch about my dog.:D

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 12:51
I usually put my dog in the shelter tied to someone elses pack while i tent somewhere else. That way i dont have to hear them bitch about my dog.:D

Or hear it barking at the movement of the air molecules.:D:D

Wags
05-30-2008, 13:03
lol. lonewolf stop whining like a baby. you got banned, deal w/ it. 'oh i think their feelings got hurt' while you're whining for 5 pages about it here - aww did your feelings get hurt too? you're really a douchebag on nearly every post i see you write here, but the community here for some reason accepts that you are a douche and live w/ it. i have no doubt you probably were being a douche there and got owned. kharmic

-i wouldn't bring a dog in a shelter to sleep, but wouldn't have any trouble bringing em in for lunch or dinner. anyone else and their dog(s) is not my business

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 13:06
lol. lonewolf stop whining like a baby. you got banned, deal w/ it. 'oh i think their feelings got hurt' while you're whining for 5 pages about it here - aww did your feelings get hurt too? you're really a douchebag on nearly every post i see you write here, but the community here for some reason accepts that you are a douche and live w/ it. i have no doubt you probably were being a douche there and got owned. kharmic

-i wouldn't bring a dog in a shelter to sleep, but wouldn't have any trouble bringing em in for lunch or dinner. anyone else and their dog(s) is not my business

hey! a fellow douche. love ya too brother :D

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 13:07
that same day while at springer parking lot matthewski was frying up bacon.

Frying up bacon in the parking lot? And then leaving it unattended? Brilliant. :rolleyes: I wonder what he does with the grease?

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 13:09
Frying up bacon in the parking lot? And then leaving it unattended? Brilliant. :rolleyes: I wonder what he does with the grease?

it wasn't unattended. he walked away for a few seconds. don't know what he did with the grease. so you're defending the dog's and the owner's actions? that's fine

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 13:11
I wonder what he does with the grease?

Ya add it to yer peanut butter if ya don't soak it up with yer toast first.;)
Puts some meat on yer coronary arteries.

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 13:12
it wasn't unattended. he walked away for a few seconds. don't know what he did with the grease. so you're defending the dog's and the owner's actions? that's fine

No, I'm questioning why anyone would need to fry up bacon in the Springer parking Lot. Seems to me, the only reason would be to feed a reputation for irreverence.

kanga
05-30-2008, 13:28

i sometimes hike with three dogs at a time. they are all trail-trained but i do not take them around people as they are dogs and some people don't like dogs. period. why would a dog owner EVER force their dog(s) on somebody else? that's just irresponsible. if we even pass other hikers, the dogs and i go YARDS off trail until they pass.
as for shelters, i hate shelters. they suck. but even if i did use them, my dogs would not be in them. i wouldn't want somebody else's dogs slobbering on my sh**.
so, no. no dogs in shelters. ever. for any reason. if it's raining, you should have brought a tent.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 13:32
i sometimes hike with three dogs at a time. they are all trail-trained but i do not take them around people as they are dogs and some people don't like dogs. period. why would a dog owner EVER force their dog(s) on somebody else? that's just irresponsible. if we even pass other hikers, the dogs and i go YARDS off trail until they pass.
as for shelters, i hate shelters. they suck. but even if i did use them, my dogs would not be in them. i wouldn't want somebody else's dogs slobbering on my sh**.
so, no. no dogs in shelters. ever. for any reason. if it's raining, you should have brought a tent.

you get it. some dog owners never will

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 13:35
No, I'm questioning why anyone would need to fry up bacon in the Springer parking Lot. Seems to me, the only reason would be to feed a reputation for irreverence.

frying bacon ain't the point. an unleashed dog getting into somebody's food is the issue. guess you'll never understand. and for the record matty had words with the owner. the owner didn't care

kanga
05-30-2008, 13:39

because bacon is AWESOME!!

MOWGLI
05-30-2008, 13:42
frying bacon ain't the point.

I'm not a groupie, so I can say those things. :sun

jhick
05-30-2008, 13:44
No. If you bring your dog. do not stay in the shelter. Its bad manners. A lot of people are shy, and will not tell how they really feel, they would rather put up with the dog, than cause controversy. Same thing about smoking. Don't ask if its alright, just get up and walk away and have your smoke.

Lone Wolf is right. This is a no brainier.

oh I agree.... I was just pointing out the dog owner should be the one who is accommodating, not the other way around.

santa
05-30-2008, 13:45
Did they perminately ban your account? That is alittle unjust considering mechanical man was shooting me with all those questions. His posts were more arguementive and more rude then yours were.

santa
05-30-2008, 13:46
Actually yours werent even rude now that i think of it.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 13:47
Did they perminately ban your account? That is alittle unjust considering mechanical man was shooting me with all those questions. His posts were more arguementive and more rude then yours were.

MM is in the clique. he stirs up the most crap on that website. he gets a pass i guess. boring site anyway. heavily moderated like the old site:)

RadioFreq
05-30-2008, 13:51
-i wouldn't bring a dog in a shelter to sleep, but wouldn't have any trouble bringing em in for lunch or dinner.

Do you prefer your dogs with bar-b-que sauce or ketchup? :D

santa
05-30-2008, 14:05
MM is in the clique. he stirs up the most crap on that website. he gets a pass i guess. boring site anyway. heavily moderated like the old site:)

I like trailplace because it is small. Here is great 2 because of all the awesome info and resources. But yeah, definately unfair ban.

jersey joe
05-30-2008, 14:06
I say no one who does not have the tolerance to deal with someone waking up at 5:30 am should stay in a shelter.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 14:09
Do you prefer your dogs with bar-b-que sauce or ketchup? :D

Mustard & Sour kraut :banana

santa
05-30-2008, 14:11
stop your making me hungry!

Mags

I miss these dogs. (http://riroads.com/archive/weiners.htm) :( Based on what it does to the GI tract, they should NOT be allowed in shelters. ;)

http://www.olneyvillenysystem.com/images/hot_wieners.jpg

kanga

yum! add onions on mine, please!:D

rafe
05-30-2008, 14:13
What did the Buddha say to the hot dog vendor? "Make me one with everything."

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 14:37
Omm my God. Should have seen that coming. Deja vu, make that Dijon vu on the dogs... Should have seen that coming. Wait I did.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 14:40
I miss these dogs. (http://riroads.com/archive/weiners.htm) :( Based on what it does to the GI tract, they should NOT be allowed in shelters. ;)

http://www.olneyvillenysystem.com/images/hot_wieners.jpg

Those look most excellent. Blame the after effects (after looking around in wonderment) on barking spiders.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 14:42
yum! add onions on mine, please!:D

Of course, must have onions. I like the way they dress Chicago dogs. Never had one in Chicago, I'm sure they are the best.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 14:42
Those look most excellent. Blame the after effects (after looking around in wonderment) on barking spiders.

i was borned and raised up in R.I. i've eaten hundreds om 'em

bfitz
05-30-2008, 15:12
I say no one who does not have the tolerance to deal with someone waking up at 5:30 am should stay in a shelter.I can tolerate anyone who gets up noisily at 5:30 am so long as they can tolerate me still being up and talking at 10:30 pm. If If they were griping at me last night you can bet I will have no mercy at 5:30 am. If anything another human could possibly do has the potential to irritate you you should not stay in shelters. You should avoid other human beings and try to stay away from all living things including dogs. Going outside at all could prove very irritating if you're a douche.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 15:18
I can tolerate anyone who gets up noisily at 5:30 am so long as they can tolerate me still being up and talking at 10:30 pm. If If they were griping at me last night you can bet I will have no mercy at 5:30 am. If anything another human could possibly do has the potential to irritate you you should not stay in shelters. You should avoid other human beings and try to stay away from all living things including dogs. Going outside at all could prove very irritating if you're a douche.

Yeah you're right. I don't like shelters with a bunch of folks I don't know. Don't like the mice, I snore (can't stop and I know it bothers others, enough girlfriends have informed me of that), I'm ahole intolerant, but do like most people. So I'm better off just hanging out with the others cooking dinner chatting, and then going my separate way for sleep.

Oh and they often make fun of my Bugs Bunny pajamas and my silk smoking jacket.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 15:19

They probably don't ship too well do they.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-30-2008, 17:16
this year in georgia i sat on the edge of hawk mtn. shelter. i do not duck in them in the rain

that same day while at springer parking lot matthewski was frying up bacon. a well known hiker's dog came over to matt's stove while matt came to my truck to get something. the dog snatched a bunch of raw bacon and took off with it. this hiker never leashes or restrains his dog. inexcuseable behavior
Concur heartily, never never never leave bacon unattended on any trail in any nation

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 17:21
Concur heartily, never never never leave bacon unattended on any trail in any nation

it get messed with in israel

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 17:27

Must not have been any real hikers nearby to have been beaten to the bacon by a dog. :)

rafe
05-30-2008, 18:17
Six degrees of Kevin Bacon (wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon))

wrongway_08
05-30-2008, 18:23
I keep Erwin leased untill i make sure everyone is okay with him. If I do leave to go do something, he gets leashed up - unless someone I know is play'n with him.

As far as him in shelters, he does stay in them, he sleeps by my feet, head or on the dirt floor right outside the shelter, if its a small one. He doesnt bother people and has 3 times, alerted us to someone/something coming up to us late at night.

Of course I ask if everyone is okay with it first.

Anyways.... dogs smell better then us.

Mags
05-30-2008, 21:57

Washed down with coffee milk of course.

Bob McCaw
05-30-2008, 22:18
As the owner of Traiplace, I feel I have to weigh in here.

It isn't our poicy to censor discussions a lot. I personally felt Wingfoot went way too far in that direction.

The guideline I gave 7Sisters was that free discussion was important and that people should feel free to state their opinions, whatever they are. I also told him that I would like Trailplace to be a place where people treat each other with respect. If I say, "I want to bring my dog in a shelter," and you say, "I think dogs should be banned from shelters," that's fine. Ideally, the discussion wouldn't get personal ... but that's probably only going to happen in an ideal world.

What happened is that LW got in some people's face more than 7Sisters felt was appropriate. I have heard from numerous people that LW is a great guy, and I hope to meet him when I pass through Damascus this summer. But it's got to be obvious to anyone at Whiteblaze that LW might be guilty of crossing some lines now and then.

So please cut 7Sisters and Trailplace a little slack. We're trying to figure out a way to moderate forums without overdoing it.

rafe
05-30-2008, 22:20
But it's got to be obvious to anyone at Whiteblaze that LW might be guilty of crossing some lines now and then.

Wolfie crossing lines? :eek: Well, I never....

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:25
The guideline I gave 7Sisters was that free discussion was important and that people should feel free to state their opinions, whatever they are. I also told him that I would like Trailplace to be a place where people treat each other with respect. If I say, "I want to bring my dog in a shelter," and you say, "I think dogs should be banned from shelters," that's fine. Ideally, the discussion wouldn't get personal ... but that's probably only going to happen in an ideal world.

What happened is that LW got in some people's face more than 7Sisters felt was appropriate. I have heard from numerous people that LW is a great guy, and I hope to meet him when I pass through Damascus this summer. But it's got to be obvious to anyone at Whiteblaze that LW might be guilty of crossing some lines now and then.

no, your boy mechanical man and the other dog owners ganged up on me. they got in my face, your moderator included. 7sisters is way too sensitive for the job. please post the entire thread here and let folks decide who ****ed with who. include deleted posts. i'm not guilty of crossing any friggin lines on your site, especially the dog thread.

ChinMusic
05-30-2008, 22:26
But it's got to be obvious to anyone at Whiteblaze that LW might be guilty of crossing some lines now and then.

LW grows on you......

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 22:28
So please cut 7Sisters and Trailplace a little slack. We're trying to figure out a way to moderate forums without overdoing it.

You might consider starting with a moderator who doesn't sign their posts with "peace be with you", when they mean "peace, my way". :-?

Bob McCaw
05-30-2008, 22:32
no, your boy mechanical man and the other dog owners ganged up on me. they got in my face, your moderator included. 7sisters is way too sensitive for the job. please post the entire thread here and let folks decide who ****ed with who. include deleted posts. i'm not guilty of crossing any friggin lines on your site, especially the dog thread.

Wolf, it takes two to tango, but you sure like to dance:D

P.S. I know there are other dancers on my site.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:36

i was just stating my opinion over and over without cussing or baiting or trolling. your mod is biased cuz of his doggie. post the entire thread here

santa
05-30-2008, 22:38
Definately agree with mechanical being agressive. But who doesnt love dancing? I know i do!

Wilson
05-30-2008, 22:39
Bob, you really should ban mechanical man.....Who says Colored folks anymore? And I did'nt know dogs were considered a minority.
One of his posts from the thread........
"The AT is a National Park that welcomes everyone, including dogs.

To seem to ask everyone to leave ther dog at home, this is very selfish on your part, as if you think you are entitled to every shelter space without sharing space with a minority.
Are you against kids, cell phone users, and colored folks too?

Dogs are allowed on almost the entire AT, so you might as well get used to it.

I have hiked with my dogs and family, since 1984, from Norwich Vermont, to Dennis Cove Road Tennessee.
I am interested to see how much AT you have hiked with, or without your dog?
Where is all of your trail knowledge coming from?

Like it or not, Have A Safe Hike."

santa
05-30-2008, 22:40
:bananaforgot to add this.

Frosty
05-30-2008, 22:41
no, your boy mechanical man and the other dog owners ganged up on me. they got in my face, your moderator included. 7sisters is way too sensitive for the job. please post the entire thread here and let folks decide who ****ed with who. include deleted posts. i'm not guilty of crossing any friggin lines on your site, especially the dog thread.Nothing could be more fair than this. If you crossed the lines, as Bob said several times, it will be pretty obvious. It will be equally obvious if you didn't.

Bob? The ball is in your court.

santa
05-30-2008, 22:43
Bob, you really should ban mechanical man.....Who says Colored folks anymore? And I did'nt know dogs were considered a minority.
One of his posts from the thread........
"The AT is a National Park that welcomes everyone, including dogs.

To seem to ask everyone to leave ther dog at home, this is very selfish on your part, as if you think you are entitled to every shelter space without sharing space with a minority.
Are you against kids, cell phone users, and colored folks too?

Dogs are allowed on almost the entire AT, so you might as well get used to it.

I have hiked with my dogs and family, since 1984, from Norwich Vermont, to Dennis Cove Road Tennessee.
I am interested to see how much AT you have hiked with, or without your dog?
Where is all of your trail knowledge coming from?

Like it or not, Have A Safe Hike."

hows my favorite bickering brother! You forget to mention the part about telling me to get over it and telling me i need to go on a real hike and not a cyber hike. Oh and i didnt really understand what you ment in your posts about kirby. That confused me. You have to admit your posts were way agressive. LW was repeating himself because he didnt felt you reconized what he was saying.

Wilson
05-30-2008, 22:47
I,m not M.M. Just quoting him to show how he treated you....just trying to add a little perspective....sorry if I confused you Santa.

rafe
05-30-2008, 22:49
Nothing could be more fair than this. If you crossed the lines, as Bob said several times, it will be pretty obvious. It will be equally obvious if you didn't.

Bob? The ball is in your court.

Huh? Why does LW's spat on another forum need to be reviewed and "judged" by Whiteblazers? Not enough LW-centered feuds here at WB? Need to import them from Trailplace?

Flush2wice
05-30-2008, 22:49
How bout a link to the trailplace thread in question?

santa
05-30-2008, 22:50
ohhhhh lol. no problem!! i was confused. :confused:

Flush2wice
05-30-2008, 22:50
Huh? Why does LW's spat on another forum need to be reviewed and "judged" by Whiteblazers? Not enough LW-centered feuds here at WB? Need to import them from Trailplace?
yes, we are all one family

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 22:52

http://trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429

Not sure what good this does since many posts were deleted. 7sisters is too full of "peace", IMO.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:52

you're right but 7sisters came HERE and said i cussed everbody out on the mutt thread. i try very hard to be respectful of bob's wishes on that site. everything was cool til 7 took over. he's overzealous

santa
05-30-2008, 22:53

http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429

a few of mechanicals and LW's posts are deleted but here it is

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 22:54
you're right but 7sisters came HERE and said i cussed everbody out on the mutt thread. i try very hard to be respectful of bob's wishes on that site. everything was cool til 7 took over. he's very wingfootesque

um, anyone know how many sisters wingfoot has? :D

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:55
http://trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429

Not sure what good this does since many posts were deleted. 7sissies is too full of "peace", IMO.

no need for name calling.

Flush2wice
05-30-2008, 22:55
"wingfootesque" thats a good word. I have a good wingfoot story but its better over a beer than a monitor

4eyedbuzzard
05-30-2008, 22:56
As the owner of Traiplace, I feel I have to weigh in here.

It isn't our poicy to censor discussions a lot. I personally felt Wingfoot went way too far in that direction.

Bob,

I read the entire thread at trailspace. And pardon the pun, but I've got no dog in this hunt. You can't moderate a discussion or meeting if you've taken a side and can't see past your own prejudice, and clearly 7 sisters had made up his mind that LW's retorts to all the pro-dog posts were "wrong" and unwelcome. It's pretty blatant.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:00
i have no hard feelings towards 7sisters, bob or anyone else on trailplace. i'm done whining. i'll continue my rants and ravings at whiteblaze as long as the mods let me. trailplace will be boring now

Tin Man
no need for name calling.

You are right. My apoligies to 7sisters.

santa
Ok i can see why 7sisters banned LW. LW might of deserved it in the past because of rules on cussing. But that was the past. In doggy thread he was pretty respectful.

If LW got a ban was there any warning's given out to any other people?

Moderating is hard work so we should give me some slack. People are perfect.

santa
05-30-2008, 23:02
Ok i hate how i cant edit my posts. I ment give sisters some slack not me and people arent perfect not are:mad:

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:03
http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429

a few of mechanicals and LW's posts are deleted but here it is

I'm a hypocrite. I read it (or what's left of it.) Must say this is low-key for LW, and I agree with LW in all the essentials. Must have been some juicy stuff that got snipped -- or else Trailplace would seem to be too milquetoast for a good hiking forum. ;)

What's odd is that I remember LW arguing the opposite side back on WF's Trailplace, say about six or seven years ago.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:04
You are right. My apoligies to wingfootesque* 7sisters.

*LW's word, not mine. :)

you're right. i edited the word

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 23:05
I own a dog. I don't usually hike with her. But..................I'd never consider letting her sleep in a shelter. If I didn't make preparations for her and I to sleep elsewhere other than inside a shelter, then that makes me an irresponsible dog owner. I hike with people who have dogs, these dogs are VERY well behaved dogs. But I just don't think dogs belong in shelters. But I don't sleep in shelters anyway.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:05
Ok i hate how i cant edit my posts. I ment give sisters some slack not me and people arent perfect not are:mad:

editing posts is easy. it just takes a small donation. don't want to donate? be very careful before you post. ;)

santa
05-30-2008, 23:06
editing posts is easy. it just takes a small donation. don't want to donate? be very careful before you post. ;)

off topic but where does the money go?

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:07

legal fees for me

Alligator
05-30-2008, 23:08
off topic but where does the money go?It goes towards paying for the server.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:08
you're right. i edited the word

okay. i will go back and edit mine. feel free to remove your quote of my quote.

I pledge to avoid name calling, even in fun with all the smilies... Um would that include dillweed? :D

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:11

um, last i checked servers, software and bandwidth ain't free. in fact, this site has grown to where it needs some healthy funding. please donate*

*I am not affiliated with the site and no one asked me to say this. just give, it don't hurt.

Bob McCaw
05-30-2008, 23:13
I'm not going to post the dog forum. I haven't read it, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had considerable sympathy for LW's position if I did. As I said earlier, I know LW isn't the only person who can be aggressive.

The point I'm trying to make is that the goal on Trailplace is to avoid the aggressive tone that happens so often in Internet forums. 7Sisters is the guy who is on the line trying to make that happen. He's doing his best and it's a tough job. Me, I'd rather be out hiking and checking out trail towns, which is what I've been doing the past couple of weeks. I'm not going to second-guess my moderator here.

That said, criticism is welcome. We're looking to do the best job we can.

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:13

Think of it as dues for the upkeep of the meeting house.

santa
05-30-2008, 23:16
I'm not going to post the dog forum. I haven't read it, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had considerable sympathy for LW's position if I did. As I said earlier, I know LW isn't the only person who can be aggressive.

The point I'm trying to make is that the goal on Trailplace is to avoid the aggressive tone that happens so often in Internet forums. 7Sisters is the guy who is on the line trying to make that happen. He's doing his best and it's a tough job. Me, I'd rather be out hiking and checking out trail towns, which is what I've been doing the past couple of weeks. I'm not going to second-guess my moderator here.

I have an suggestion!!! Try to get about 5-10 moderators. Yes this will take time. But before they do a ban a account 5 or 6 of the moderators need to aprove of the ban. That way the situation gets a fair trial.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:17

That's cool Bob, but the "peace be with you" signature is a little too Cathlotic IMO.

Alligator
05-30-2008, 23:20
I have an suggestion!!! Try to get about 5-10 moderators. Yes this will take time. But before they do a ban a account 5 or 6 of the moderators need to aprove of the ban. That way the situation gets a fair trial.Get an odd number, these discussions can get rather heated:D.

Skidsteer
05-30-2008, 23:21
I have an suggestion!!! Try to get about 5-10 moderators. Yes this will take time. But before they do a ban a account 5 or 6 of the moderators need to aprove of the ban. That way the situation gets a fair trial.

Um yeah. Good luck with that.

Hard enough to get Mods, let alone get them to agree . :cool:

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:22

i'll be a mod

Bob McCaw
05-30-2008, 23:25
i'll be mod

You serious??

Tin Man
i'll be mod

LW for mod!

Let's start a poll...

Lone Wolf
SO! the majority of those that weighed in feel dogs do not belong in shelters. close this bitch down! :cool:

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:26

Plus, mods can be good trolls as well. WF used to troll his own site with fake identities.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:27
Plus, mods can be good trolls as well. WF used to troll his own site with fake identities.

he is a closet republican

Alligator
05-30-2008, 23:28
LW for mod!

Let's start a poll...Aye-LW for Trailplace mod;).

I just joined too, so I get a vote. I put down that LW referred me.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:31
i'll be a mod

You serious??

Um, if both LW and 7sisters are mods, wouldn't they cancel each other out? :-?

ChinMusic
05-30-2008, 23:31
SO! the majority of those that weighed in feel dogs do not belong in shelters. close this bitch down! :cool:
Yeah, but you don't think people should be in shelters either.;)

Skidsteer
05-30-2008, 23:32
i'll be a mod

Unwritten rule for moderator qualifications:

Never accept someone who volunteers for the job. :D

Skidsteer
05-30-2008, 23:40

Which, of course, just leaves idiots and psychos to choose from.

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:41

Kinda like the problem with politics and politicians...

Alligator
05-30-2008, 23:44
Which, of course, just leaves idiots and psychos to choose from.im knot sur i unnerstand yous. don mak me find ur boots and hav my dog tchew 'em up.

Alligator
05-30-2008, 23:45
mi dog liks bakon 2.

envirodiver
05-30-2008, 23:45

If Mechanical Man has free run on your site and LW does not. You're just talking into the wind. Cause I've seen MMs posts here enough to know where he comes from.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 23:46
Which, of course, just leaves idiots and psychos to choose from.

is that why dino "retired", found out who she was hanging with? ;)

rafe
05-30-2008, 23:48
is that why dino "retired", found out who she was hanging with? ;)

dino could troll with the best of 'em.

santa
05-31-2008, 00:10
i'll be a mod

lets shoot bigger.

LW for president?:banana

Wags
05-31-2008, 00:27
i actually enjoy both sites for information. bob got put in quite an awkward position here and i think handled things admirably. hats off

lone wolf for nothing. asshat

Big Oz
05-31-2008, 00:50
no, your boy mechanical man and the other dog owners ganged up on me. they got in my face, your moderator included. 7sisters is way too sensitive for the job. please post the entire thread here and let folks decide who ****ed with who. include deleted posts. i'm not guilty of crossing any friggin lines on your site, especially the dog thread.I LOVE HIKING IN THE SMOKIES,why?I love dogs at peoples home but not on the trail.Dogs are fine but 999 out of a 1000 owners are never responsible.I personally think dogs should be banned from the trail period but people with a dog feel their dog is perfect and all others should bow down to their wishes.

Usually women with dogs are the worst.Sorry I am not picking on women,My girlfriend is one and so is my mother and sisters but the truth is the truth.

Lone Wolf you had the right in every way to express your opinion in what ever way you like if you didn't threaten anyone and be using fowl language in my opinion.

Bob, I met you in NJ and I thought when you took over Trail Place and the thru hiker guide you would be someone with charactor to all hikers and their opinion.I was so proud to tell fellow hikers that you probably would really get a good thing going.

I also bought a couple of your 2008 thru hiker guides.I gave one to my brother which is on the trail in Va at the moment.Right now I just threw the other one in the trash.Go ahead and let your moderators be that way.That is why whiteblaze is where it is and I am afraid you just ditched trail place.You won't get another dime from me ever or any support.:mad:And for 7 sisters Stay over there on trail place where you are needed.Thanks Lone Wolf for your opinion:D

Frosty
05-31-2008, 00:55
I'm not going to post the dog forum. I haven't read it, Yet you said that LW crossed the line and defended his being banned.

santa
05-31-2008, 01:12
Yet you said that LW crossed the line and defended his being banned.

He means in all LW's posts general. Bob is doing pretty good.

night guys

santa
05-31-2008, 01:12
He means in all LW's posts general. Bob is doing pretty good.

night guys

he means in all LW's posts *IN* general

I might have to donate just because I make soooo many errors:o

Big Oz
05-31-2008, 01:14
Yet you said that LW crossed the line and defended his being banned.I haven't posted on whiteblaze in quite some time but I read many post every day.

I saw some kid giving Ron Haven some crap and I posted.Then I see this.That done it for me on trailplace.I don't personally know Lone Wolf but I have read his post many times.I personally hate shelters and dogs on the trail too.When I am on the trail I don't mistreat dogs or their owners,I just simply don't assosiate with them.

If Lone Wolf can't post his opinion without getting kicked off that forum the rest of us don't need to be there either.Because if our opinions don't jive with theirs we will be kicked off to.This is my opinion on trail place and if yours is different go hang out there.I read it and I noticed 7 sisters keep repeating the same post over and over too.I was dumb for buying their books. :datzbut I won't buy nothing else.

santa
05-31-2008, 01:23
I haven't posted on whiteblaze in quite some time but I read many post every day.

I saw some kid giving Ron Haven some crap and I posted.Then I see this.That done it for me on trailplace.I don't personally know Lone Wolf but I have read his post many times.I personally hate shelters and dogs on the trail too.When I am on the trail I don't mistreat dogs or their owners,I just simply don't assosiate with them.

If Lone Wolf can't post his opinion without getting kicked off that forum the rest of us don't need to be there either.Because if our opinions don't jive with theirs we will be kicked off to.This is my opinion on trail place and if yours is different go hang out there.I read it and I noticed 7 sisters keep repeating the same post over and over too.I was dumb for buying their books. :datzbut I won't buy nothing else.

Ok i am going to defend trailplace here. Trailplace is a great site full of great people. 7sisters is doing his best working as a mod and he just started. I think Lone Wolf is a cool guy and quite a character from judging from his posts. But sometimes his posts do have bad language ect. That are against the rules. He shouldnt have gottened banned for repeating a phrase but I guess 7sisters was fed up with all the stuff in his past I guess. The image he threw off in previous posts got him linched in the dog thread. The ban is only for 2 weeks anyway and more of a warning I guess.

So please dont boycot trailplace. All trailplace is, is a community just like whiteblaze. We should be visiting trailplace more often because it is now a small tight knit group of people that needs to grow and that is what i like about trailplace.

As for your comment about buying their book. BOB works on that constantly and it looks like it is well worth the money. I am planning on buying the book when 2010 rolls around. The hike would be so much harder without it. :banana <--- def need that on trailplace though.

Big Oz
05-31-2008, 01:38
Ok i am going to defend trailplace here. Trailplace is a great site full of great people. 7sisters is doing his best working as a mod and he just started. I think Lone Wolf is a cool guy and quite a character from judging from his posts. But sometimes his posts do have bad language ect. That are against the rules. He shouldnt have gottened banned for repeating a phrase but I guess 7sisters was fed up with all the stuff in his past I guess. The image he threw off in previous posts got him linched in the dog thread. The ban is only for 2 weeks anyway and more of a warning I guess.

So please dont boycot trailplace. All trailplace is, is a community just like whiteblaze. We should be visiting trailplace more often because it is now a small tight knit group of people that needs to grow and that is what i like about trailplace.

As for your comment about buying their book. BOB works on that constantly and it looks like it is well worth the money. I am planning on buying the book when 2010 rolls around. Defend it all you want,I think 7sisters should be banned as a moderator if he can't do no better than that.I am also registered on trail place under another name but after this I am through with trail place.Others can do what they want.

Sgt Rock has a forum,Ron Haven has a forum and whiteblaze has a forum.After this I don't need say no more.I will buy a trail companion or a trail pages if I need a book and hope others does too.Maybe one day trail place will get into the hands of someone like whiteblaze.

santa
05-31-2008, 01:41
Defend it all you want,I think 7sisters should be banned as a moderator if he can't do no better than that.I am also registered on trail place under another name but after this I am through with trail place.Others can do what they want.

Sgt Rock has a forum,Ron Haven has a forum and whiteblaze has a forum.After this I don't need say no more.I will buy a trail companion or a trail pages if I need a book and hope others does too.Maybe one day trail place will get into the hands of someone like whiteblaze.

Why bob is doing fine running trailplace. He was put in a hard situation today. What do you think he did that would qualify as handling his website poorly? As for the dog shelter thread. You werent envolved. So how would you know what was right and wrong?

Big Oz
05-31-2008, 01:47
Why bob is doing fine running trailplace. He was put in a hard situation today. What do you think he did that would qualify as handling his website poorly? As for the dog shelter thread. You werent envolved. So how would you know what was right and wrong?I don't,you do.I am not arguing with you.You don't even get my point.I am a member.That makes me envolved.If I post my opinion there,will I be banned too.We will never know.If Bobs all that great,Maybe he will be a good moderator don't you think.

santa
05-31-2008, 01:51
I don't,you do.I am not arguing with you.You don't even get my point.I am a member.That makes me envolved.If I post my opinion there,will I be banned too.We will never know.If Bobs all that great,Maybe he will be a good moderator don't you think.

Ok im not trying to argue. I am saying dont let this little thing effect trailplace. You said you wanted others and yourself to not buy there book or go to there site. I have posted my opinions on there many of times. I have not gotten banned yet and that was not was LW was banned for. Just so I can see where you are coming from what is your point?

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 04:40
i actually enjoy both sites for information. bob got put in quite an awkward position here and i think handled things admirably. hats off

lone wolf for nothing. asshat

you're welcome ph***stick

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 05:02
"a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?

i still vote no

AlwaysHiking
05-31-2008, 07:24
Usually women with dogs are the worst.Sorry I am not picking on women,My girlfriend is one and so is my mother and sisters but the truth is the truth.

Without elaborating, you come off as sexist, or ignorant; maybe both. Care to explain why you feel that way?

And I'm glad your mom is a woman, would be weird if she wasn't... :rolleyes:

Off to the trail for the evening, but looking forward to reading why you think that way when I get back.

Oh, and I'm taking my dog with me and I'm proud to be female, but we're not staying in a shelter.

Marta
05-31-2008, 07:33
I LOVE HIKING IN THE SMOKIES,why?I love dogs at peoples home but not on the trail.Dogs are fine but 999 out of a 1000 owners are never responsible.I personally think dogs should be banned from the trail period but people with a dog feel their dog is perfect and all others should bow down to their wishes.

I agree that 999 out of 1000 dog owners are not responsible enough to actually take responsibility for their dogs' actions, and to train them to behave. Most dogs aren't trained to voice commands, and at least half the owners can't be bothered to keep the dog on a leash...partly because the dog isn't trained how to behave on a leash, and so keeps pulling and running back and forth and annoying the owner.

Given that 999 out of 1000 statistic, I would also argue that women and men are equally inept when it comes to policing their dogs.

BTW, last weekend, in the Smokies, there was also someone hiking with their dog. Off the leash, of course.

Of course, I met a dog at the summit of Katahdin, too.

beeman
05-31-2008, 07:43
No snorers?
No REALLY smelly hikers?
No one with bad gas?
no
no
no
Hell no!
AT was made for people ....but only PC people, and NOT DOGS.
YEp, Lone Wolf is a POT STIRRER of the first degree. Go to TP and look for yourself. So what. 7 sisters is a moderater who is learning the ropes, perhaps a bit oversealous. I don't think he should ban LW for what he did. OH Well. WHat you gonna do? Go to WB and get all wounded righteousness? AS far as I'm concerned, at trailplace,Mechanical Man is as blunt and obnoxious as Lone Wolf but he's still there. I don't get it. For that matter, I'm pro gun ownership, but I still haven't been banned over there yet. Guess I'm not bluntly in your face enough about it. But seriously, Mechanical Man should be banned too.;)

THis post was sarcastically brought to you by the beeman, who thinks bees should not be allowed in the shelter either, even on a cold wet rainy day.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 07:55
The ban is only for 2 weeks anyway and more of a warning I guess.

You have been banned for the following reason: obnoxious behaviour and continuing to create arguements, has cursed at users despite being warned several times

Date the ban will be lifted: never

this is what it says when i try to log on :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 08:43
You have been banned for the following reason: obnoxious behaviour and continuing to create arguements, has cursed at users despite being warned several times

this is what it says when i try to log on :D::: Dino seen removing TrailPlace from favorites / bookmarks as LW was most entertaining thing there :::

generoll
05-31-2008, 08:53
What's Trailplace?

superman
05-31-2008, 08:57
What's Trailplace?

I think it's a state of mind.:-?

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 09:00
What's Trailplace?

a place where wingfoot clones dwell

superman
05-31-2008, 09:11
It sounds like Trailplace might be warmer to my proposal of having dog speed hiking (supported) competitions. That's where you bring a bunch of dogs to a trailhead and send them running up the trail. Mean while you drive to the next trailhead and time when they finish. You could do that all the way up the AT...even thru the smokies. Dang, wouldn't that be a hoot!!!

I know what your thinking...what if the dogs straggle along the trail? I'd say there should be a rule that requires waiting for all the dogs to show up...at least for 1/2 an hour. No point in waiting longer than that. Who wants a dog that would get side tracked by chewwing on critters and hikers.;)

superman
05-31-2008, 09:21
a place where wingfoot clones dwell

Wingfoot was against dogs on the AT on Trailplace. how ever, when TUK and I talked to him on his front porch he told us about hiking with a young man and his dog on the AT. He had no problem with that dog being on the AT.

rafe
05-31-2008, 09:53
::: Dino seen removing TrailPlace from favorites / bookmarks as LW was most entertaining thing there :::

Dino, I don't completely disagree -- but have you considered how many folks LW may have driven away from WB, and who might have been active members of this community if he weren't so.... what's the word... "in your face?"

Wags
05-31-2008, 09:56
this is turning into some sort of hiker civil war. stupid imo. wb vs ts. so lone wolf got banned. reputation preceeds people over the internet as well as rl, and i'm sure it's true in his case. i'll still visit that site. pretty harsh judgements being handed out b/c 1 guy, who is known to be a ass, had a bad event happen there

Roland
05-31-2008, 10:03
~ pretty harsh judgements being handed out b/c 1 guy, who is known to be a ass, had a bad event happen there

Please consider this to be your opinion. If others agree with you, they can speak for themselves.

generoll
05-31-2008, 10:03
I didn't feel like scrolling through this entire thread and was kinda confused how dogs in shelters and Trailplace fit together. I think I'll stay confused.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 10:07
this is turning into some sort of hiker civil war. stupid imo. wb vs ts. so lone wolf got banned. reputation preceeds people over the internet as well as rl, and i'm sure it's true in his case. i'll still visit that site. pretty harsh judgements being handed out b/c 1 guy, who is known to be a ass, had a bad event happen there

you love me and you know it. don't be so grouchy sweets ;)

santa
05-31-2008, 10:23

this is what it says when i try to log on :D

I messaged 7sisters and he said it was 2 weeks? :confused:

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 10:25
I messaged 7sisters and he said it was 2 weeks? :confused:
doesn't matter. i won't be going back there. too anal and no sense of humor. just like the old site. if you don't stay in line with the moderator, you're banned

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 10:26
I didn't feel like scrolling through this entire thread and was kinda confused how dogs in shelters and Trailplace fit together. I think I'll stay confused.Wingfoot often posted about his dislike for dogs on the trail.....

santa
05-31-2008, 10:27
::: Dino seen removing TrailPlace from favorites / bookmarks as LW was most entertaining thing there :::

::: Santa is seen stalking Dino in the woods hunting Dino. Dino tastes good over open fire ::: :D

couldnt resist.

generoll
05-31-2008, 10:29
I thought Wingfoot went away. If we flog this dead horse hard enough will something happen?

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 10:30
I thought Wingfoot went away. If we flog this dead horse hard enough will something happen?

you'll get banned

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 10:34
::: Santa is seen stalking Dino in the woods hunting Dino. Dino tastes good over open fire ::: :D

couldnt resist.::: Dino seen looking up recipes for Santa. I hear he taste like chicken :D :::

Wags
05-31-2008, 11:14

this is the part of the message you should be paying attention to btw. not the part that says 'never'. reap what you sow kiddo

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:18
this is the part of the message you should be paying attention to btw. not the part that says 'never'. reap what you sow kiddo

you sure do take entertainment way too serious. get outside more. this is just an internet website. means nothing in the big picture scooter :banana

rafe
05-31-2008, 11:23
you sure do take entertainment way too serious. get outside more. this is just an internet website. means nothing in the big picture scooter :banana

229 posts about nothing? IIRC, you started this thread, LW. It's all about you... ;)

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:24
229 posts about nothing? IIRC, you started this thread, LW. It's all about you... ;)

it's about no dogs in shelters, dummy :rolleyes:

rafe
05-31-2008, 11:32
it's about no dogs in shelters, dummy :rolleyes:

I thought it was about the crass miscarriage of justice, and your banishment from Trailplace? I have no dog in this fight. :D

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:33
what's Trailplace?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 11:34
Would you guys quit dogging LW's every step? Can't a man find shelter anywhere? :D

Appalachian Tater
05-31-2008, 11:37
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the parallel of a vulgar troll being banned from a website for suggesting that dogs be banned from shelters?

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2008, 11:38
Would you guys quit dogging LW's every step? Can't a man find shelter anywhere? :D

dogging...shelter... well dog - gone

LW - in a [gasp] shelter?!:eek:

Now I've heard it all...

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:39
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the parallel of a vulgar troll being banned from a website for suggesting that dogs be banned from shelters?

yah, you're the only one. now back to your hole:rolleyes:

rafe
05-31-2008, 11:45
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the parallel of a [...] being banned from a website for suggesting that dogs be banned from shelters?

Particularly one whose every other post on WhiteBlaze is a rant against shelters... and those who use them. :cool:

Honey Bee
05-31-2008, 11:47
its your hike. but remember, when there are others in the shelter it is their hike too. ask if folks mind the dog. if your dog is EVER causing problems or if ANYONE does not want to sleep with a dog ( no matter how well behaved fido is) then it is your responsibility to pitch tent with the pooch elsewhere.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:48
Particularly one whose every other post on WhiteBlaze is a rant against shelters... and those who use them. :cool:

dogs don't belong in shelters. ever. never

woodsy
05-31-2008, 11:48
This thread isn't very straight forward, more like round and round.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:50
more like round and round.

and round it goes, when it gets locked, nobody knows

The Scribe
05-31-2008, 11:51
Nope Nope (I added the second "nope" cause otherwise it wouldn't post it).

woodsy
05-31-2008, 11:52
I'm trying to decide if its about a wolf in the doghouse or dogs not belonging in shelters
And No, dogs don't belong in shelters, all hikers with dogs should carry portabable cages for them to sleep in.

Two Speed
05-31-2008, 11:56
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the parallel of a vulgar troll being banned from a website for suggesting that dogs be banned from shelters?Got my vote for moving it to the "Hiking Humor" forum.

rafe
05-31-2008, 11:56
dogs don't belong in shelters. ever. never Relax, dude. On this point we agree, in principle. I'm just a bit more wary than you about arguing with a stranger whose nasty little pit bull is growling at me. That was quite literally the scene on the first night of my section hike last summer. (The dog stopped growling after a while... :rolleyes:) Yah, I know -- I could have camped elsewhere. I was happy for the company, to tell the truth -- but I kept my eye on that dog.

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2008, 11:58
I'm trying to decide if its about a wolf in the doghouse or dogs not belonging in shelters

:-? I think it's one of those "fluid situations".

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 11:59
Relax, dude. On this point we agree, in principle. I'm just a bit more wary than you about arguing with a stranger whose nasty little pit bull is growling at me. That was quite literally the scene on the first night of my section hike last summer. (The dog stopped growling after a while... :rolleyes:) Yah, I know -- I could have camped elsewhere. I was happy for the company, to tell the truth -- but I kept my eye on that dog.

obviously an ahole dog owner and obviously you let them intimidate you. grow a set next time

rafe
05-31-2008, 12:02
obviously an ahole dog owner and obviously you let them intimidate you. grow a set next time

My set's intact, though I'm touched by your concern. It all worked out, no harm done. There's something to be said for tolerance and accommodation. You might try it some time.

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 12:03
My set's intact, though I'm touched by your concern. It all worked out, no harm done. There's something to be said for tolerance and accommodation. You might try it some time.

that's being a sheeple