PDA

View Full Version : How far?

Bear Cables
05-30-2008, 10:28
Ladies, I hear the men talk of 20 mile days etc. Is it just me or does the thought of double digit days freak you out?:eek: I am in excellent physical shape as well as cardio shape and I'm strong. But...just thinking about exceeding 10 miles a day takes the fun out of the hike for me. It seems to become more of a chore at that point. Maybe that makes me more of a "hike to camp" hiker.

Marta
05-30-2008, 10:58
I definitely hear what you're saying. For me the move to longer hiking days was as much a mental thing as a physical thing. For at least half the AT, if I planned a "long" day (more than about 12 miles), I felt sulky and irritable. The mental attitude changed as time--and miless--passed. By the end of the hike, 20 miles was a normal day. I'd think "Ten before lunch, ten after. No problem."

Bear Cables
05-30-2008, 11:04
Marta, when you do the long days do you take a longer midday break? I am considering cooking my big meal for lunch on 10+ mile days with a longer rest break before starting again.

Blissful
05-30-2008, 13:55
The first time I had to do 13 miles on a hike in Shenandoah I was a nervous wreck. Couldn't sleep or anything, wondering if I could do it. But I paced myself and made it okay,though I was bushed. I found it good to take a rest mid morning, a lunch break (though too much lunch tends to make you really tired in the afternoon), and then a rest mid afternoon.

ZZXF
05-30-2008, 16:18
I like a long lunch -- it gets you out of the heat of the day and energizes me for the afternoon. Plus, if I don't have to cook when I get to camp, I can pretty much crash as soon as I get there, so I'm not as worried about making it before dark. But too long lunches can also cut down on daylight hours, which can sometimes make the afternoon seem hurried. So, I think it's a balance, and, of course, a personal preference.

Marta
05-30-2008, 16:33
Marta, when you do the long days do you take a longer midday break? I am considering cooking my big meal for lunch on 10+ mile days with a longer rest break before starting again.

For me, a "long" break is half an hour. Other than that, I usually take 10-minute breaks every hour to two hours. I find that if I lay around resting and eating too much, I am disinclined to get up and walk again. So, no, I don't take a really long break during the day, nor do I make much of a meal then. I am slow to leave camp in the morning because I eat a large breakfast and drink at least a liter of tea. I eat a large dinner because, if I don't, I wake up hungry during the night. During the hiking day, I usually just snack (albeit snack heavily).

I know plenty of hikers who like a long lunch break, and a cooked meal in the middle of the day. I'm just too lazy to get my stuff out and cook, and too lazy to get up and hike again afterwards.:D

I am opportunistic, though, and if I find a nice spot in the sun (if it's cold out) or in the shade (if it's hot), or a place with a great view, I will make time for a short break.

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 18:48
Just don't try to do 20-mile days early on in a thru. Wait until you've got your "trail legs." You'll know when you're ready for a big day. Once you do one, you'll realize that, though tough, it's doable, and you'll soon find yourself doing that mileage more often. But make sure you work your way up to it!

For me, it was always my feet that held me back from those long days. I could do them, no problem, but my feet hurt soooo bad. I'm working on resolving those issues with insoles so I can improve the distance I'm able to hike without pain.

Slackpacking your first extra-long day helps, too. Most of my own over-20 days were slackpacking.

Oh, and women do just as good -- if not better -- than the men on these long days! I saw a group of a girl and two guys near the end of a crazy 40-mile slackpack, and the girl looked like it was just another day of hiking. The two guys with her looked like they were dying. In fact, I heard one of them needed time off after that, while the girl just kept on going...

Marta
05-30-2008, 19:05
Most of how you hold up over the long run depends on how well you take care of yourself. I'm pretty fussy. I sit around with my feet up, give them massages, take my shoes and socks off so they dry during my little breaks, wash the fee and rub them with alcohol to keep them from growing undesirable whatevers, keep the nails neatly clipped... I was very self-indulgent in terms of getting enough to eat (especially the important daily CHOCOLATE rations), and keeping my mileage comfortable for myself.

All that stuff makes (I think) an incredible difference in how you hold up over the months.

It's pretty easy on the AT to fall in with a group so that you end up being persuaded to go along with whatever the group decides, instead of making decisions about what's best for you. The mileage bragging rights thing is one of those pissing contests that hikers get into. It's nice to step back from the group, pay attention to what YOU need so that YOU can go the distance.

Seriously, people often tell me I'm a tough, fast hiker. Not really. I'm a very self-indulgent hiker. I don't hike hungry; I make sure I get enough rest; my pace suits myself (meaning I don't try either to speed up or slow down to someone else's pace); I stop an fuss with my clothing and stuff to make myself as comfortable as possible; if I'm chugging up a long climb and I run out of steam, I stop and have some CHOCOLATE, which never fails to give my feet wings.

So...don't let anyone--including me--boss you around.

gumball
05-30-2008, 19:39
The longer I have been hiking, the more I enjoy a higher mileage day. Its kind of fun. Some days, I am more up to it than others, but I do enjoy the challenge. A 20 mile day no longer seems intimidating--we ONCE did a 32 miler into Damascus (which I understand is a place many people do this)...mostly for the pizza. I was exhilerated (followed by exhausted!).

Again, depends on how I'm feeling and what the terrain and weather are like--but I've generally come to enjoy a longer day's hike.

rafe
05-30-2008, 20:40
I'm male so please excuse my intrusion on this thread. IMO, the subject matter transcends gender.

As a 37 year old in 1990, 30 lbs. overweight but very fit, I averaged 11 miles per day on the southernmost 650 miles of the AT.

As a 54 year old in 2007, a bit more overweight and a bit less fit, I averaged 15 miles per day on the AT between Palmerton and Catawba (about 600 miles.) What changed?

1. Took low-mile days (every 4-5 days) but no zero days.
2. Attitude. A sense of purpose that was missing when I was younger.
3. Hiking alone. I truly got to "hike my own hike." (It got lonely at times.)
4. Less weight on my back -- 28 lbs instead of 38 (full-up, leaving town.)
5. Trekking poles and light footwear
6. Walking 10 hours a day, with a long lunch and lots of breaks
7. Easier terrain, at least at the start (PA is a pushover, except for the rocks.)

Anyway, just a few thoughts for what they're worth, from a short, slightly overweight, middle aged (male) section hiker.

sarbar
05-31-2008, 00:09
Start slow and build up. Do what feels good to you! There are trips I walk a couple miles and then there are the trips where miles is everything. The sad thing about big miles is often you just glaze over. You don't take photos, you don't remember much besides looking at maps and fearing you won't get somewhere before dark.

But most of all.....if it gets to where hiking isn't fun, slow down.

PS: On long hikes I start at dawn and hike till maybe noon or 1 pm, then take a break in the heat and eat/rest. Then hike from say 3 or 4 pm to 7 or 8 pm. I don't overheat and since I have time to eat a bigger meal I can digest it and hence don't get so wiped out from not eating enough.

jessicacomp
05-31-2008, 15:38
I enjoy doing anywhere from 15-20 miles a day. 10 wouldnt take long enough, and I'd be bored. I've done a lot of less than 15 mile days, but that has more to do with bad weather, going into town, etc.

Spirit Walker
05-31-2008, 18:21
It really is largely a mental issue. The first time you break 20 miles feels like a really big deal. I remember doing a lot of 17 and 18 mile days fairly easily, but 20 miles felt like a whole new ballgame. The first time was very painful. Then I did it again, and it was easier. The next time was easier still. When we hiked thru northern VA and PA we hiked 20 miles almost every day and it became no big deal. On the PCT, where the trail is well graded, 20-25 miles was normal for most of the hike. Our average on that trail was 19 mpd.

I am not a fast hiker - I generally maintain a 2 mph pace, including breaks. What I do is hike longer hours. Ten hours of hiking (8:00-6:00) is an easy 20 miles. On the AT I would wake up early and hike until mid-afternoon so I could have some time to myself before the guys showed up. On the PCT I woke early, took a mid-day break (in the desert anyway) and then hiked until about an hour before dark. That gave me time to write in my journal and cook dinner while I still had light. Nowadays we sleep later, but still hike until an hour before dark. In summer, that means stopping at 7:00 or 8:00 - plenty of time to read, write, cook and wash up before bed.

If you want/need to make miles, the trick is to be steady. Don't hike from shelter to shelter, hike the same number of hours every day and camp wherever you end up. I knew people on the AT who hiked until 5:00 every day. They finished the trail a month before I did. I was more erratic - doing short days to or from town, taking side trips to enjoy views, swimming in lakes and streams, etc. But I wasn't in a hurry. I averaged 12 mpd - but had many zero days, many short (less than 5 mile days) and many days that were over 20. My longest on the AT was about 26, longest on the CDT was 32, longest on the PCT was 29. I prefer to hike about 12-15 per day - but know I can do bigger miles if I have to or want to.

Red Hat
06-02-2008, 10:52
My first hike on the AT in '03 was a 10 miler, but I was only carrying a day pack. In '04, I did three back to back 10 milers from Springer and wore myself out too early. In '05, I started out slow with 8, 8, and 10 milers. That was much better for me. I eventually worked my way up to multiple 15 mile days, and one 20 miler. Of course it does make a difference where you are hiking. I can do 20 mile days pretty easily here in Texas, while AT days need to be much shorter to start. So, let your body tell you what is enough. I prefer about 15 mile days most of the time.

CherrypieScout
06-02-2008, 16:49
I like to average 12 to 15 mile days. I leave early and arrive early to chill and rest. I do not hike for long hours - unless my car is waiting for me at the end of the day.
I will drink an entire nalgene before leaving the camp/shelter in the morning. When I arrive at camp/shelter, I'll drink another entire nalgene. Of course, I slurp down lots of water along the way. I have learned that I do much better hydrated.
This summer, most of my days will be around 13 to 16 miles. I have planned a short 6 1/2 day to rest and read. I prefer to stay in shelters - like the 3 walls and roof. I do clean it out before I spread out my gear.

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 18:02
It looks like this trek we will have to have two 9 mile days but most days it will be between 6 and 7 1/2. I am fine with that and with the encouragement here more than 9 doesn't seem so daunting. However, my hiking partner still cringes at the 8 mile limit. So we'll just see how it goes. Our promise to each other was to not put ourselves into a rush or pressed situation and just enjoy the trek. We leave in 3 days! Can't wait.:banana

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 18:05
My first hike on the AT in '03 was a 10 miler, but I was only carrying a day pack. In '04, I did three back to back 10 milers from Springer and wore myself out too early. In '05, I started out slow with 8, 8, and 10 milers. That was much better for me. I eventually worked my way up to multiple 15 mile days, and one 20 miler. Of course it does make a difference where you are hiking. I can do 20 mile days pretty easily here in Texas, while AT days need to be much shorter to start. So, let your body tell you what is enough. I prefer about 15 mile days most of the time.

A 10 mile day hike is a great hike. It's the one's with the full pack ....;)

Red Hat
06-02-2008, 19:15
A 10 mile day hike is a great hike. It's the one's with the full pack ....;)
Yeah, I know both 04 and 05 I had full packs....

bigcranky
06-02-2008, 21:39

I'm going to put in a plug for the looooong lunch break. When there is enough daylight, I like to hit the trail early, hike for about 4 hours, take a 2-3 hour break at lunch, then hike for about 4 more hours. On really hot days, my lunch break might last as much as 5-6 hours, and I won't start up again until late afternoon and hike until almost dark.

This schedule helps me break up the day's mileage into manageable chunks. I find that eight miles is a reasonable morning's hike, with the prospect of a nice long break when I'm done. Then the afternoon feels like a whole new hiking day, and six or eight more is pretty easy. If I really need to do miles, in summer there is enough daylight to have three hiking segments per day, at 6+ miles each, making a 20+ mile day much easier to accomplish.

The key in my mind is to get on the trail early, especially in hot weather. I don't hang around in camp much. In summer I pack up, grab a pop tart or a handful of gorp, and start walking. After an hour or two I take a breakfast break, eating my granola right out of the bag. If I have a stove I'll make coffee, otherwise I just much some chocolate covered espresso beans (yum!)

Lunch is the big break of the day. I make my biggest meal, do camp chores like clean clothing and feet, take care of any personal business, write in my journal, that sort of thing. If lunch coincides with a shelter, then I can talk with other hikers. In Shenandoah, I had lunch at a couple of the waysides and got a hot meal. And milkshakes. I'll take a nap against a tree or in my hammock after lunch is over, and head back out on the trail whenever I'm ready.

During the hiking segments, I take a 10-15 minute break every hour. Pack off, lying against a tree, feet up, drink water, eat snacks, take pictures, look around, etc. Being a lazy slacker hiker means I'm never out of excuses for a break. But I still manage to make the miles that I want.

For your longer days, you could plan to do 4-5 miles in the morning, and 4-5 more after a long break. You might try this one day and see how it feels. Good luck.

<heading back to guys section. sorry for the intrusion.>

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 22:25
During the hiking segments, I take a 10-15 minute break every hour. Pack off, lying against a tree, feet up, drink water, eat snacks, take pictures, look around, etc. Being a lazy slacker hiker means I'm never out of excuses for a break. But I still manage to make the miles that I want.

For your longer days, you could plan to do 4-5 miles in the morning, and 4-5 more after a long break. You might try this one day and see how it feels. Good luck.

<heading back to guys section. sorry for the intrusion.>

I also take a break every hour or so. And I like the two segments of 5 each with a long break in between. Gonna try that one on our first long day.

10-K
06-21-2008, 20:41

You may be the only person I know who has the potential to gain weight hiking! ;) :)

<just kidding - no offense...>

modiyooch
06-21-2008, 21:39
I enjoy doing anywhere from 15-20 miles a day. 10 wouldnt take long enough, and I'd be bored. I've done a lot of less than 15 mile days, but that has more to do with bad weather, going into town, etc.
This is my preference as well. I like hiking to near sunset. Though, my feet are better off doing the 16 as opposed to the 20. Actually, I'm not sure if it is the mileage that does my feet in or the length of time that I am on my feet.

JAK
06-21-2008, 23:56
If I was a woman, ( ok this can't end good ), I would want to hike fast enough to stay ahead of the old farts like me. Beyond that, whether you chase the younger guys down, or let a few catch up, or maybe on some days that find perfect pace, when you really don't care to see anybody, like running in the rain without getting wet. :)

ok I'll go now