PDA

View Full Version : Wild drink preps and edible veggies

Jenab
05-30-2008, 12:56
I live in the hills of eastern West Virginia. I hike mainly from my house to and between some of the nearer towns. I've recently gotten into the herb hobby, and here are some plants I've discovered.

Dandelion. Very obvious. Leaves taste like slightly bitter lettuce. Flowers have a mild taste (and some people have use them to flavor wine must). Roots can be washed, backed dry, crunched into powder, and used to prepare a coffee substitute "Dandelion quaffee." Dandelions grow in my yard, and just about everywhere the sun shines.

Violet. Not quite so obvious as dandelion, but easily recognized. Leaves taste somewhat like okra and can be used in lieu of okra to thicken gumbo or soup. I have violets in my yard, too.

Milkweed. Once you've identified it once, you'll never forget it. The leaves and stalk are edible raw, but heavy of raw milkweed may lead to illness because the white sap contains a mild toxin. Cooking destroys the toxin and makes the resulting greens among the best around.

Basswood (or Linden) tree. Leaves are very good to eat in mid-spring, like very mild greens. In late spring or summer, the leaves will toughen and be less palatable.

Clover. Goats eat it. You can too. The leaves taste like raw green peas when you chew them. Clover is a legume, so it has protein in it.

Wood Sorrel. Looks a little like clover in that both plants are trifoliate (three leaf). Wood sorrel's leaves, however, have a fold in the middle and the outer edge is heart shaped, whereas clover is ovoid. Wood sorrel's taste is lemony tart upon chewing, and the tartness comes from Vitamin C.

Gill-Over-The-Ground. A low shrubby herb. The leaves can be dried and used to brew a herbal tea. I like to mix it with wood sorrel to add a tart note to the drink.

Goosegrass. The stem has a square cross-section and is rough with spiky hairs. Perpendicular fans of seven or eight leaves ray out at intervals along the stem. Whereas goosegrass is edible, it is usually tough chewing and too fibrous to be really tasty. The small leaves are better, but you have to be patient to gather enough for a mouthful.

Ramps. You find them here and there, usually among birch or beech trees, sometimes maple or oak. They look like some flowers do when not in bloom, but they smell like a cross between garlic and onions, and they taste that way, too. The leaves and the bulb are edible. Ramps are usually gathered in early spring.

Wild lettuce. There are several kinds of lettuce growing wild. The leaves tend to be deeply cut and also serrate, appearing somewhat like oversized dandelion leaves. I've seen wild lettuce growing along the roadside.

Chicory. The purple flowers bloom in July. The roots can be used as a coffee substitute: prepare similar to Dandelion Quaffee (see above). Grows along roadsides and here & there.

Wild Parsnip. The roots are edible. Grows in the same places that chicory does. Make sure it has YELLOW flowers. A similar-looking plant with white flowers is water hemlock, which is probably the most poisonous, kill-you-dead plant that grows in North America.

Boletes. Mushrooms with spongy looking undersides instead of ribbed. Most of them are edible.

White Oak Trees. Acorns. You can eat acorns from white oak more easily than those from red oak because white oak acorns have less tannin to leach out. I have a grove of White oaks in my goat pasture.

Maple Trees. Boil down sap to make syrup. Also, the young leaves in spring can be eaten raw, having a roughly turnip-greensy taste.

Mayapple. All parts poison except the ripe fruit, which ripens in mid-June. If you're not sure when to pick the fruit, you might better leave it alone. Grows in patches and seems to like places where greenbriars also grow.

Pokeweed. All parts poison except the youngest shoots and leaves, and possibly the ripe purple berries that appear in September. (However, the berries of poke aren't very good tasting to humans, even though birds sometimes eat them. I used poke berries to dye my goat's hair purple for Halloween a couple years ago.) The same advice for restraint applies here as with Mayapple. Grows in lots of odd places. Noted for its thick fleshy greenish purple stalks.

Greenbriars. Although not the best-tasting vegetable in the world, the peeled stems of very young greenbriars can be eaten. They have sort of a chalky taste. In texture they're similar to the peeled shoots of Staghorn sumac, but the flavor of greenbriars is inferior. Just strip away the outer skin and eat the pith. Once a briar's stem has become purplish-woody, they are no longer edible.

Staghorn Sumac. Gather shoots and peel them in early June. In late July or early August, clip the red berry clumps and soak them in cold water to make sumacade. Strain out hairs before serving. Around my place, Staghorn sumac is an aggressive growing plant - goes everywhere the sun shines unless you keep it trimmed back.

Northern Fly-Honeysuckle. The berries are edible. Treat them as you would blueberry. I have maybe a dozen large bushes of these growing near my house.

Hawthorn Trees. The berries are edible, but not especially tasty by themselves. However, they are rich in pectin and can be used with a sweeter berry to make jelly. Hawthorn trees grow wild on parts of my property.

Apple Trees. You know what to do with them. But leave mine alone.

Walnut Trees. Ditto.

Jerry Abbott

Tipi Walter
05-30-2008, 13:48
I like your list and I like to see people discover these edibles around their homes. I walked around Boone NC back in the 1970s and that's when I started my investigation of the wild edibles.

I've eaten a bunch of violets over the years and they are a bit slimey and somewhat bitter though they cook up well.

Clover is a chewable but probably not a "swallowable", it's just too tough to digest.

Wood sorrels and sheep sorrel is the old standby, the weed every kid has tasted in their backyards. Pickle tasting but a good snack in moderation.

Gill over the ground is part of the mint family and looks a bit like the early spring plant called False Dead Nettle, both mints.

What you call goosegrass I call Cleavers, and it usually grows in and with my favorite wild edible, Chickweed. I love chickweed for munching and big healthy patches of it can be found in the woods.

When you mentioned chicory I thought of Pineapple Weed, an aromatic little yarrow type leafed plant that smells like pineapple when crushed.

How about the wild mustards? They cook up very well and I remember seeing all the farm fields covered in the yellow mustard flowers.

There's nothing better than young pokeweed shoots stir fried in oil and soy sauce!!

One you left out and my definite favorite is LAMBS QUARTERS! It grows in disturbed places and is a common garden weed people pull and throw away but is the best cooked pot-herb in the world.

And don't forget stinging nettles! How much nettles have I eaten over the years? A BUNCH!

Jenab
05-30-2008, 13:59
I almost forgot burdock. Those are the plants with the huge ugly triangular ruffledy dark green leaves. The roots, or parts thereof, are edible.

Jenab
05-30-2008, 14:21
I like your list and I like to see people discover these edibles around their homes. I walked around Boone NC back in the 1970s and that's when I started my investigation of the wild edibles.

I've eaten a bunch of violets over the years and they are a bit slimey and somewhat bitter though they cook up well.

Clover is a chewable but probably not a "swallowable", it's just too tough to digest.
Eat just the leaves and leave the stems off. That's what I do. I swallow them no problem.

Wood sorrels and sheep sorrel is the old standby, the weed every kid has tasted in their backyards. Pickle tasting but a good snack in moderation.
My wood sorrel gives me a flash of tart flavor when I chew it. It's too strong to eat straight, so I mix it with milder stuff. In salad I use dandelion for bitter, wood sorrel for tart, linden leaf for body, maybe some clover leaf, a splash of apple cider vinegar...

What you call goosegrass I call Cleavers, and it usually grows in and with my favorite wild edible, Chickweed. I love chickweed for munching and big healthy patches of it can be found in the woods.
Thanks for the tip. I just now went outside and found some mouse ear chickweed. It wasn't with the goosegrass, but it wasn't too far away, under a Baldwin apple tree that I planted six years ago.

When you mentioned chicory I thought of Pineapple Weed, an aromatic little yarrow type leafed plant that smells like pineapple when crushed.
I haven't found any Pineapple weed yet. I've heard of it, but none has turned up here so far.

One you left out and my definite favorite is LAMBS QUARTERS! It grows in disturbed places and is a common garden weed people pull and throw away but is the best cooked pot-herb in the world.
I suspect that I'll find lamb's quarters sooner or later. They're a good wild spinach. But so far, nope.

And don't forget stinging nettles! How much nettles have I eaten over the years? A BUNCH!
I haven't identified nettles, but I have found some bull thistle in my goat pasture. I might make some use of them before long.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2008, 14:26
Milkweed:
http://www.ontariowildflower.com/images/milkweed_op.jpg

Basswood Tree
http://z.about.com/d/forestry/1/0/S/A/wbass.jpghttp://www.cirrusimage.com/Trees/american_basswood_2.jpg

Gill-over-the-ground
http://www.foxislandalliance.org/brochures/spring_wildflowers/vga/GillOverTheGround.jpg

Frau
05-31-2008, 21:50
The new shoots of greenbriar are quite tender and tasty--no need to peal or cook.
Redbud flowers are great, too.
Oyster mushrooms grow in dead wood, very tasty.
There is quite a supply of wild gooseberry growing on the high mountain tops around here, approx. 4,000 ft and above.
If we could get everyone to eat lamb's quarters we would be millionaires. It is as much of a pest as chickweed and wire grass around here.
Nussmuk's family enjoys ramps wilted with watercress. Both are plentiful here.

Frau

russb
06-01-2008, 09:37
I always enjoyed cattails. We used to pull up a few while paddling and trim at the bottom to get to the soft white inner parts (not the tough outer green). Tastes like cucumber.

For mushrooms, the most common and easily identifiable around my neck of the woods are morels and chicken of the woods.

veteran
06-01-2008, 13:33
Cattails (http://www.wrc.net/wrcnet_content/herbalresources/herbwalk/herbwalk.aspx?hwid=10)

Jenab
06-02-2008, 21:25
I always enjoyed cattails. We used to pull up a few while paddling and trim at the bottom to get to the soft white inner parts (not the tough outer green). Tastes like cucumber. For mushrooms, the most common and easily identifiable around my neck of the woods are morels and chicken of the woods.
I'd like to find cattails, but haven't yet. The nearest lakes to my house are in Monongahela National Forest. A lot of the edible mushrooms hereabouts are boletes: the ones with sponge type cap bottoms.

Since my last post, I've found some late ramps, some sheep sorrel (tastes sour like my wood sorrel but looks different), and some false Solomon's seal.

Newb
06-03-2008, 16:17
Spice Bush. Easily recognized, very common and wonderful for tea or extracts. The berries can be used dried as allspice and it fun to just grab some leaves and crush them for the wonderful smell. Also, the spicebush is related to the eucalyptus and will act as a bug repellant.

Sassfras anyone? (I just wanted to say Sassafras)

Jenab
06-14-2008, 17:30
Spice Bush. Easily recognized, very common and wonderful for tea or extracts. The berries can be used dried as allspice and it fun to just grab some leaves and crush them for the wonderful smell. Also, the spicebush is related to the eucalyptus and will act as a bug repellant.

Sassfras anyone? (I just wanted to say Sassafras)
Lots of sassafras trees in my yard and round about the woods.

In addition to the False Solomon's Seal that I found several days ago, I have also found "true" Solomon's Seal. The two plants only superficially resemble each other. False Solomon's Seal has the longer leaves, and its flowers/seeds occur as a terminal cluster at the end of the stalk. But the flowers of "true" Solomon's Seal hang down like little bells all along the length of the stalk, and its leaves are shorter and somewhat more oval.

The oddest thing about a lot of my edible weeds is how isolated and few they are. I have a total of seven milkweeds, all growing at one side of a clump of apple trees. I have (maybe) five False Solomon's Seal. I have only two "true" Solomon's Seal plants. So the idea for these fellows is for me to gather the seeds and farm them into greater quantity.

And I have only one basswood tree.

Certain other plants, like pokeweed and mayapple, grow much more abundantly. Don't know why there's a difference.

I might be able to augment my seed harvest by gathering from stuff along roadsides. I know where a much bigger patch of milkweed plants are growing, so I'll get seed from there too.

JAK
06-14-2008, 17:43
What I eat most regularly, some since I was a kid, is...
Wood Sorrel, Clover, Grass, inner bark of Yellow Birch, other barks, also little bits of cedar or spruce leaves.

I was a regular porcupine when I was a kid. Totally destroyed my neighbours tree.
Also fiddleheads. We have lots of those up here in Spring, along rivers and other places.

Jenab
06-22-2008, 12:27
I had found some "true" Solomon's seal in my front yard, and then a week later a deer came sneaking around near my house, found the plants, and ate them all.

One of these day, I'm going to have to shoot me a deer.

I found out that goosegrass is related to the Arabica coffee tree and that mature goosegrass berries, roasted and ground, make a very close substitute for coffee which is naturally caffeine free. I'll test this idea in a few weeks after the berries change color. My new mortar & pestle ought to be here by then.

Dandelion root quaffee is also a coffee substitute, but it's a bit herbally tasting despite its nice smell, which is similar to that of a chocolate cake baking in the oven. Chicory has begun to bloom, and I know that chicory root can also make a quaffee, but I haven't tried it yet. But I'll bet that the goosegrass berry quaffee is the best of them.

Jenab
07-02-2008, 23:41
I've found yarrow and common plantain. I've got a nice hot cup of yarrow leaf tea with me now. Mmm mmm good. Plantain, though edible, isn't a choice green. It has a somewhat "chalky" taste that I don't care for.

Bearpaw88
07-03-2008, 08:25
Great thread. I am glad someone mentioned fiddle heads. While hiking I am usually munching on something I find if I know for sure what it is and if it is plentiful in the area. I wish more people ate garlic mustard. WI could feed the country.

The Old Fhart
07-03-2008, 08:53
Stinging Nettle leaves boiled and covered with butter make a great green and they aren't as bitter as dandelion. Boiling neutralizes the formic acid on the hairs that make you itch. They are commonly found along the A.T. in nutrient rich soil.

As one reference says: " People have used stinging nettles for rheumatism, upset stomach, fevers, colds, paralysis and numerous other ailments. Stinging nettles are edible, especially when young; they can be boiled and substituted for spinach."

phenimore
07-10-2008, 12:54
A few others:
Jerusalem Artichoke (Sunchoke) Fantastic edible roots, best used after the first frost to knock the bitterness out. By this time they resemble dead sunflower stalks...
Wild Parsnips, WARNING! these plants contain a severe skin irritant, if harvesting use gloves, or extreme care. Only the root is edible.
Queen Annes Lace (Wild Carrot) Should be harvested early before flowers completely form, or late after the first frost will begin to turn the roots sweet.
Purslane - no experience just know it's edible!
Plantain - a mild plant, best used early when leaves are young, adult leaves can be crushed to use as skin ointment for scratches or mosquito bites (not nearly as effective as jewel weed or aloe)
Chestnuts!
Day Lily - I dont know if the leaves are edible they don't seem as appealing as the flowers/stems/roots
Lily Pad - never tried these, think the roots need to be cooked well
Japanese Knotweed - has gained a growing following, something like rhubarb (I've never found any)
Also, if you've got a knack for identifying them there are a lot of wild mints/balms that make great seasonings and teas
Did anyone mention willow bark tea/aspirin? (also fyi willow bark is rooting compound for most woody plants)

phenimore
07-10-2008, 13:00
I also hear a lot of good things about lambs quarters but i have never been ever to find/identify it from pictures!

oreotragus
07-15-2008, 22:19
I just want to add a tiny correction -

Wood sorrel's tartness comes from oxalic acid, not vitamin C (hence the genus, Oxalis). In large enough quantities it can give you some gastrointestinal distress, so don't munch on it too much.