PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts/experience hiking in Keen sandals?

ofthearth
05-30-2008, 14:44
Any info would be appreciated. I'm looking at the Copper Canyon or the Arroyo.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1226
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=1254

ken209
05-30-2008, 16:01
I have a pair, can't keep rocks & twigs out.

Cookerhiker
05-30-2008, 17:47
I've had my Keens for nearly 4 years and really like them. The treads are still good; I've replaced the string once.

I found them very helpful for fording the streams and rivers in Maine. I also used them for a short (4 mile) but full backpack in African savannah. But I wouldn't use them for long-distance backpacking. I''ve heard of the trails you're hiking but I'm not familiar with them. How's the terrain? Are you carrying a full pack? How many miles? These factors should govern your decision.

superman
05-30-2008, 18:00
They look very good. During the heat of the summer during my thru I bought a pair of teva's. I started just wearing them near the end of the day. It was a great relief to not wear my hot boots. As the summer went on I wore them for longer and longer periods until I was wearing them all day. I would try the Keen sandals.

Old Hillwalker
05-30-2008, 18:06
I have been hiking in Keen Arroyos for a few weeks now and did a 17 miler two days ago on some overgrown trails with lots of mud and four good steeps. I met a thru couple last year who were staying at Hikers' Welcome Hostel and shuttled them for slacking Mooselauke. They hiked the entire AT on Keens and swore by them. They did say that you should wear thick socks to help with the sticks and stones problem and that mud will wear the socks out pretty rapidly from the grit collected. Their trail names were Mr. and Mrs. Quartz. Her name was Rose, and I don't recall what his was. They were an older couple, maybe in their sixties like me.

I'm planning on wearing them SOBO from Baxter through the mud and fords of Maine. Maybe the Chevys too. I'm switching to my old Limmers for the Whites from Carabasset until I reach my house shortly after Moose Hillock.

winger
05-30-2008, 18:37
I bruised the hell out of my heels one year in a pair of Tevas, in Yellowstone, so I don't hike any distance in sandals anymore.

Two Speed
05-30-2008, 18:43
I do a lot of overnighters and three day trips in Teva Wraptors; have tried Keens a few times and didn't find a pair that I liked. That said one of my regular hiking partners won't hike in anything else. She saw me trucking around in sandals, got the bug and checked out the Tevas, didn't like them but did like Keens.

Haven't known her to hike in anything else since.

Scrapes
05-30-2008, 20:58
Love my Keens, by the end of summer I have the keen foot tan, the toe box was the reason I bought them. I wear them kayaking and love having my toes protected by the toe box, priceless when crossing rocky streams. I wear them camping all the time. The toe box is also a problem when walking on sand, it gets in there and has no where to go.

IMO feet need more protection.

Speer Carrier
05-30-2008, 21:47
I did the georgia portion of the AT a few years back in Keens. Only had rock and twig problems a few times. All in all, I think they worked out fine

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2008, 22:04
I did Canada in my keens, with one of the guys who bought the leather, I got the webbing. We hiked 15 miles of portages out of 80 + miles of canoe and the webbing turned out to be better, as they held far less water in a storm. The leather streached up a size and got a little too loose. Still I rave about them. Good call.

Knocky
06-01-2008, 18:06
I carry a pair of Keen sandals tied to my pack. They are great to slip on as a relief from the boots on easier sections. I find them very useful if wading in creeks as well, to protect your feet from rocks.
Personally, I would not choose them as my primary foot ware though.

Thrasher
06-01-2008, 18:17
I have the Arroyo Keen sandals. I've worn them on a few day hikes, but I got a lot of little twigs and stones in them. Once they got in my sandals, they didn't seem to fall out easily and I either hiked with a small piece of something in my sandals or stopped and pulled it out. The toe protection helps a lot, but somehow little bits of stuff always got in the sides for me. I think they are ok for day hikes and maybe overnighters but I wouldn't use them for a longer trip.

MagicSFK
06-01-2008, 20:00
I bought a pair of the Keen Newport H2's to use here in South Florida where many of the trails go through water (for miles!), particularly in the Everglades. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but looking forward to it...they feel comfortable.