PDA

View Full Version : Turner's Corner Cafe Open!

bloodmountainman
05-30-2008, 15:43
To any and every one who will be in the Neel's Gap area anytime soon.....
Turner's Corner Cafe is open again under new management. The menu has returned to the "good old days" and the prices are reasonable. Now serving breakfast!! Open Thursday- Sunday.:sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2008, 15:54
::: Dino seen licking chops while remembering many great meals at this diner :::

Mrs Baggins
05-30-2008, 16:34
MMMM.........my last name is Turner and I had grand dreams.......but alas not the money or the experience to take on a place like that. So I will comfort myself with a meal there at the first opportunity!

Sidewinder
05-30-2008, 16:36
I had a cheeseburger there yesterday,
MMMMMMMMMMMM-GOOOOOOOOOOD

John Klein
05-30-2008, 19:20
If the spouse doesn't like to come hiking, would going there be a selling point?

shoe
05-30-2008, 19:24
I thought I saw it open last week but I wasn't sure. I sure hope it sticks around this time and they still have awesome burgers :)

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 19:30
The place is a gem, but the asking price the last person wanted made it unattractive to anyone wanting to turn an actual profit there. Hopefully this owner either bought it well below the last asking price I heard or is independently wealthy and just wanted something to do. I look forward to grabbing a burger there very soon!

shoe
05-30-2008, 20:59
I'm curious, what was the asking price?

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 21:25
I saw it towards the end of last summer listed at $350K I think.

Sidewinder
05-30-2008, 21:28
at one time, maybe Jan/Feb 08 I heard $385K

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 21:50
where's it located?

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2008, 21:53
I saw it towards the end of last summer listed at $350K I think.

Money down on a Subway franchise was $250k!

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:01
Thing about this place I think it would be VERY seasonal. Perhaps you could have great business every weekend. But there are probably only maybe 35 weekends a year it would be booming. A Subway on the other hand would be a 7/365 business.

And LW, it is just down the mountain from Mountain Crossings. Where GA 19 makes a right headed back over towards Woody Gap.

A very pretty unique place right on the Chestatee River, but not a great "everyday" restaurant location. BMM, you might know exactly, but I'd say 12 miles, maybe 15 miles to the closest town.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2008, 22:03
where's it located?Right at the intersection of 19 & 129
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Map.jpg

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:04
Right at the intersection of 19 & 129
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Map.jpg

nowhere near the AT. what's the big deal?

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:07
nowhere near the AT. what's the big deal?

Maybe 6 or 7 miles from the AT Wolf!!:-?:-?:-?

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:08
Maybe 6 or 7 miles from the AT Wolf!!:-?:-?:-?

30 miles into the AT, nobody goes there. never heard of it in 22 years of hiking georgia. can't be that good

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 22:13
6 or 7 miles is a LONG way for a hiker to go for a cheeseburger. Aside from town stops, I never went more than half a mile out of my way for food, and even that was pushing it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2008, 22:14
Their are a lot of waterfalls in the area and we have eaten there many times. Great food. Not everything is AT related.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:14
6 or 7 miles is a LONG way for a hiker to go for a cheeseburger. Aside from town stops, I never went more than half a mile out of my way for food, and even that was pushing it.

hikers don't go there. just locals

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:15
To any and every one who will be in the Neel's Gap area anytime soon.....
Turner's Corner Cafe is open again under new management. The menu has returned to the "good old days" and the prices are reasonable. Now serving breakfast!! Open Thursday- Sunday.:sun

this post makes it sound like it's 100 yards away, dino

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 22:51
I agree, the original post did make it sound like this was something that hikers would be interested in, hence the disparaging comments about how far away it is.

Still wish them all the best. Just don't expect too many AT hikers dropping by...

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:53
this post makes it sound like it's 100 yards away, dino

I don't see how this post makes it sound 100 yards away. And not just locals go there. I know you have been to Mountain Crossings and I know you are well aware of the large number of motorcyclists that make the circle here up and over Blood and back around thru Woody Gap. I have been here and seen an awful lot of motorcyclists there. So to say only locals go there is completely incorrect. I would venture to say that most of the business there is tourist related. Be it motorcyclists, leaf lookers, waterfall lookers, hikers (everything is not AT related), scenic drivers, etc, etc, etc.

BloodMountainMan was just letting people know of a restaurant in the area that many have ate at that is open for business again.

Oh, BTW, the last time I was in there, I saw some hikers there. I don't know if they were AT hikers and honestly could care less. They were hikers. There weren't any packs at the door or anything like that. So I assume they were day hikers or weekenders, that stopped on their way home to eat.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 22:56
dude. AT hikers don't go there

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:58
dude. AT hikers don't go there

Who cares, does everyone here hike ONLY THE AT?

Wait, I hike the AT and I have ate there, so your logic is indeed incorrect.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:03
Who cares, does everyone here hike ONLY THE AT?

Wait, I hike the AT and I have ate there, so your logic is indeed incorrect.

:rolleyes: you're a local. you have EATEN there. potential AT thru-hikers have no idea *** turners corner is. get it yet? :)

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 23:06
Yeah, I get it, but you said that AT hikers don't eat there. I hike on the AT. I eat there. Get it yet?

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:07
for crissakes, you win :rolleyes:

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 23:12
Wow. They must have really great burgers in order to produce such fierce loyalty.

Hey, I was wondering myself where this place was, if it was close to the trail, how far off the trail it was, whether it's worth making a note of for the next time I hike through, etc. So I imagine other people would think the same when they read the first post. Glad someone clarified the location.

This is, after all, an AT hiking forum...So, duh, people are going to assume you mean it's of interest to people when they are hiking on the AT, unless someone says otherwise.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 23:16
Wow. They must have really great burgers in order to produce such fierce loyalty.

Hey, I was wondering myself where this place was, if it was close to the trail, how far off the trail it was, whether it's worth making a note of for the next time I hike through, etc. So I imagine other people would think the same when they read the first post. Glad someone clarified the location.

This is, after all, an AT hiking forum...So, duh, people are going to assume you mean it's of interest to people when they are hiking on the AT, unless someone says otherwise.

as a potential thru-hiker you arrive at Neel gap after 30 miles. you're not thinking of going anywhere. Mtn.Xings has everything one needs. this turner Xing joint means nothing. it's a local thing. if you really want to eat go to the Smith house in dahlonega. burgers are burgers

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 23:19
As soon as I saw the map, I was all set...Hey, though, if I ever decide to motorcycle through the area, who knows.

I'd be just as happy with a $1.05 double cheeseburger from McDonald's.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 05:49
hikers don't go there. just localsI ate there while hiking and climbing - just not on the AT. He-Dino loves waterfalls and we used to take a week to ten days to hike to every waterfall in an area. If the trail to the falls went to the top, we climbed to the bottom.....

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 07:31
I ate there while hiking and climbing - just not on the AT. He-Dino loves waterfalls and we used to take a week to ten days to hike to every waterfall in an area. If the trail to the falls went to the top, we climbed to the bottom.....

i mean hikers on AT doing a thru-hike with no transportation

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 07:45
As has been noted before, AT thruhikers make up a tiny portion of hikers - even on the AT. Most hikers are day hiking or section hiking and knowledge of resources within 6 - 7 miles of a trailhead are welcomed -- especially in an area such as the one under discussion as there are very few places to buy food in the immediate vicinity.

bloodmountainman
05-31-2008, 09:30
30 miles into the AT, nobody goes there. never heard of it in 22 years of hiking georgia. can't be that good
This Cafe is not a spot for thru -hikers. None that I know of would make this a stopping place 30 miles into a thru hike.
It is a historical building and landmark in the area. It is located near enough to the At that a lot of folks pass by on thier way to trailheads. It is hiker, camper, biker, etc. friendly after a weekend outing. You can come in smelling like a horse and be served. They have an open air porch where you can eat watching the Chestatee River drift by.
As a local, I'm excited this place is back in business. I've hiked and camped this area for 25 plus years and have enjoyed this Cafe. LW it is "that good".
Now that you have heard of it give it a try the next time you are down this way. I would like to hook up with you and have a beer and burger in Damascus ( at your favorite establishment). Fair enough?:rolleyes:

orangebug
05-31-2008, 13:12
Sheese!

It is a well know nice stop around the area, but trully not an AT happening except for sectioners and the occasional packsniffer.

Heck, I've waxed poetic over Fat Buddy's BBQ in Franklin without getting such grief. Certainly, one can satisfy basic hunger cheaper at a place with a drive-thru, but you can't get the local flavor of an area from a Happy Meal.

Pokey2006
05-31-2008, 16:39
I think the point was just to clarify that it wasn't a spot right on the trail. That IS the natural assumption when someone posts info about a new eatery. It's not grief, just trying to clarify where the place is. Those of us who are not from the area have no idea.

Trillium
05-31-2008, 18:19
On my way to the Hiker Hostel on March 31 I was not sure that I had taken the right turn coming out of Blairsville. I stopped at a gas station/convenience store in Booger Hollow. The attendant told me to turn at the corner where Turner's is located. So, for someone who was checking into the Hiker Hostel at the start of a hike, this might be a place to get a night before meal.

If they are still open when I return next year to continue my hike, I will check it out. :)

Skidsteer
05-31-2008, 18:46
On my way to the Hiker Hostel on March 31 I was not sure that I had taken the right turn coming out of Blairsville. I stopped at a gas station/convenience store in Booger Hollow. The attendant told me to turn at the corner where Turner's is located. So, for someone who was checking into the Hiker Hostel at the start of a hike, this might be a place to get a night before meal.

If they are still open when I return next year to continue my hike, I will check it out. :)

Booger Holler is another good stop for local, er, flavor.

Bulldawg
05-31-2008, 19:24
Booger Holler is another good stop for local, er, flavor.

Thanks for correcting the spelling to "Booger HOLLER" Skids!