PDA

View Full Version : Travel Light, Eat Heavy Along the Appalachian Trail

Rocketman
05-30-2008, 15:46
There is a book I would like to see ..... Wonder if anyone has it or knows how to contact the author.

Travel Light, Eat Heavy Along the Appalachian Trail and Other Mystical Routes (Paperback)

by Bill McCartney (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Bill%20McCartney) (Author)

It is supposed to be a source for how to make your own backpacking meals from things found in grocery stores. It has a collection of recipes as well. It may or may not deal with "freezer bag cooking" which emphasizes dehydration of regualar home cooked meals.

There are no copies available at Amazon.com anymore. Several internet used book site searches all have turned up nothing.

Interlibrary loan requests have been unable to locate a copy for interlibrary transfer.

Bill McCartney used to live in Cullman AL and evidently self published this book via "Gray House Press".

The old telephone number is disconnected (It was in the preface to the book which is visible in "search this book" at Amazon).

Is it worthwhile to chase after this more?

minnesotasmith
05-30-2008, 15:51
The New York Times is supposed to run lots of ads by out-of-print book dealers in a back section, especially on Sundays. Also, try a metasearch engine like www.metacrawler.com (http://www.metacrawler.com), which picks up stuff even a very good search engine like Google can miss, as it uses multiple SEs. Next, I'd check out the downloadable search engine available at www.copernic.com (http://www.copernic.com). I occasionally use it for all sorts of offbeat stuff. It'll find 15-YO newspaper articles and the like.

Good luck.

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 16:03
It does appear to be out of print and truly self-published as the publisher does not seem to exist at all. Searching by ISBN through Google and the usual used book sites yields nothing.

I'll bet Sarbar has a copy, though.

sarbar
05-30-2008, 16:26
I don't and that sucks! His book touched heavily on nutritional info of the meals but was not a thick book on recipes. His meals were aimed somewhat towards FBC style.

Bill brought the book out maybe a couple months after my book first came out (so maybe late 2005 or early 2006 for his?) He was active on BPL and then he disappeared maybe 1 1/2 years ago?. At the same time his book stopped selling on Amazon.

I wish he hadn't disappeared - if he had gone through Lulu.com (who we first used) he could have sold his book as print on demand (which is what Dances With Marmots does).

Anyhoo, I know someone was asking about him a couple months back on BPL and even googling indepth there is no record of Bill.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-30-2008, 16:30
If your interest is the nutritional info, I put together an article that may help last year (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=nutrition).

Rocketman
05-30-2008, 18:55
If your interest is the nutritional info, I put together an article that may help last year (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=nutrition).

Thanks. My interest is actually in assembling a broader range of EZ meals for store or postal resupply.

I did Springer Mountain to Damascus VA last year by throwing together whatever I could find as I went from town to town last year.

Near the end of the trip, a major hypertension issue surfaced so I learned to improvise low salt cozy cooked meals from instant rice, instant brown rice, instant (unflavored) potatoes, and couscous. There were various flavorings such as salt free chicken and beef bullion, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, dill weed and a few other things. I was able to buy dehydrated vegetables to add in with the major starch and spices. Also, I sent along a bump box of ingredients for the meals for the next section and would make up new meals at each stop.

I would like to gather as much information as I can on how to throw together meals for cozy cooking based on grocery store items.

I used to dehydrate hamburger, frozen vegetables and precooked pasta and beans for when I bicycle camped. That was OK to do for a week or less, but for a month it is more than I want to mess with.

Bill McCartney's book seemed great, from the Amazon.com blurb.

Thanks for the interest.

sarbar
05-30-2008, 20:52
Without grandstanding I am one of the very few resources online for hiking food and how to keep that food lower sodium. You would think there would be more, but there just isn't. (Which is shocking with how many baby boomers still hike!)
Bill's book had about 40 or so core recipes in it, 28 that were for dinner/lunch. There are some dessert and bar recipes as well. You would be able for low sodium to eat about half of the dinner ones :) Bill's recipes were not necessarily low sodium. Though one could adapt them by dumping tortillas and not using as much powdered mixes as called for.
Take a look at the "look inside" feature on his book and you will be able to see a number of the recipes btw.

Christopher Robin
05-30-2008, 21:28
There are not so many low salt dinners in the store has I was looking for myself,so I have been dehydrating most of them myself also. I book I found was helpful & I've had for years is; The Well Fed Backpacer by, June Fleming. It has a great section on self supermaket w/food you can buy, & the best section I like is a potful of one-liners, which give you adifferent section of; meat, pasta, grain, veg., sauces, seasonings, & toppings & extra addition, I've used many combernation foe cozy dinners I can't wait to try them.

sarbar
05-30-2008, 22:46
Simple Foods For The Pack in its original version from back in the 70's (green cover, all hippy looking) is one of the best cookbooks ever written. No, not the newer version, It HAS to be the green cover. Every recipe in it was old school, using whole wheat flour, brown rice, millet, etc. It was without a doubt the book for organic granola-heads. And it called for nearly nothing that was overly processed.
I took a number of recipes from that book and made them FBC friendly (and updated them).

It was indeed low sodium high fiber and mostly veg living (as long as you left any salt called for out).