PDA

View Full Version : Starting my Thru in 2 weeks-Where to start

Brokenheart
05-30-2008, 19:40
I have dreamed of a thru hike for years. It appears that the time has come! The circumstances that allow this are not pleasant (divorce and liquidation of property) but I am choosing to use this as an opportunity for growth and to do the things that I have always wanted to but just never did.

I'm struggling with the decision of where to start as I am departing so "late." I am comfortably able to knock off 20 mile days, so making it to Katahdin by Oct 15 may be doable. But will I be able to summit when I arrive? The weather will dictate that and after walking 2170+ miles that is a gamble I don't want to take.

So I'm looking for suggestions-

Start at Springer and at some point north flip to Maine and head south.

Start somewhere in Va,Md, or Pa heading north, then from Katahdin come back to where I started and head south.

Wouldn't mind hiking with others and making friends, so was thinking if I start at Springer there might not be a lot of people on the trail. Guess that may not be bad either, just depends on your perspective. Also wouldn't mind hiking through new england in the fall, even if it means dealing with leaf peepers.

Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Bill

Panzer1
05-30-2008, 19:43
I'm struggling with the decision of where to start as I am departing so "late."

Well your not starting late for a south bounder.
Start at Katahdin and go south.

Panzer

fitz
05-30-2008, 19:44
Just an idea since you are in WV already, start at Harpers and go north. Then come back to Harpers and go south. Have fun

fitz

rafe
05-30-2008, 19:47
You could have the company of thru-hikers for the whole trip, if you wanted. Start with the nobo wave where it is right now -- say, northern VA or MD or PA. Walk with them to Katahdin. Then return to your starting point and walk south -- most likely meet some SOBOs as well

burger
05-30-2008, 19:48
Better yet, start at Waynesboro, VA (that's what I did in mid-June a couple of years ago for a 3-month section) and head north on a flip-flop. Shenandoah is an easy, easy stretch of trail to get yourself in trail shape on, and there are lots of amenities (i.e. food) in the park.

Blissful
05-30-2008, 21:10
Start at Harpers Ferry and go north to the Big K. Then back to HF and south to Springer.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 21:42
Start at Harpers Ferry and go north to the Big K. Then back to HF and south to Springer.

yup. do this

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 22:03
Well your not starting late for a south bounder.
Start at Katahdin and go south.

Panzer

Both are great suggestions. SOBO will be more challenging physically. The advantage is you will be starting with people who are also starting, although fewer in number. NOBO from HF will involve meeting more folks, but they will be "ahead" of you physically and mentally, which is a different challenge. I would go SOBO, but the choice is yours.

D-wreck
05-31-2008, 11:01
I also plan on starting soon, but more likely around July 1st.

Background:

I am not an experienced hike, I'm not in shape, but thru-hiking the AT has always been my dream. Last week I was in England and confided this to my cousin , and he said "what's stopping you from doing right now?" Answer - nothing but fear of the unknown. So, I'm handing in my resignation soon, selling my stuff, and trying to get ready.

I'm confident I can get everything together in 1 month, but I'll need help.

I have thought of a SOBO hike, but I'm just not in shape and don't know if I could make it through Maine and New Hampshire. I thought of skipping those two and starting Vermont, work my way SOBO. Wouldn't be a thru-hike but I would be happy. But maybe a flip-flop starting at harpers ferry would be better?

I was going to start my own thread this morning, but see Bill started one with exactly what I was going to ask (Sorry for the thread highjack!). So I'd welcome opinions on starting points. Other opinions would be welcome too!

Thanks,
Derek

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2008, 11:27
Starting in Harpers Ferry would also give you both some "relatively easier" trail to get in shape on before hiking NH and ME. Plus you'll have plenty of time to reach Katahdin and should wind up hiking through most of New England during late summer, one of the nicest times for hiking up here as the weather will still be reasonably warm, usually dryer, and the bugs will have lessened by then. Then you'll get to flip back to Harpers and "hike with fall" so to speak to Springer. At a very reasonable pace of 12 miles per day(a 6 month thru-hike) you would finish in late fall on Springer.

The worst that could happen is you wind up doing a nice section hike, and come back over the years to hike other parts of the trail.