PDA

View Full Version : I need a new stove

Sidewinder
05-31-2008, 08:33
I need new stove, mine was stolen yesterday, home made pepsi can stove, pot holder and windscreen. This DID NOT occur near a trail and I have no reason to think it was a hiker that took it. It was my fault, after showing a couple how it worked, boil time etc., I left it sitting on the tailgate to cool. Went inside the store to get a snack about 4-5 mins came out and stove was gone. Maybe they thought the homemade stuff ought to go back in the recycle bin where it came from. It wasn't the couple, they were with me the entire time I was in the store. I really liked this system, was easy to build and I can easily build another, cheap too. But, I was wondering about the Caldron Cone system. The stove appears to be similar to what I built, the difference in the cone shaped windscreen? It appears to allow the heat to rise up and around the pot which would heat the water faster.

If you have used one I would like to hear what you think of the Caldron Cone system.

toddhiker
05-31-2008, 22:13
I assume you mean Caldera Cone???

If so, I really like mine. Boil time is good, efficiency is better than good, and it is very windproof. The only drawback (although it doesn't bother me) is that it packs larger than some other setups. Search BPL for solutions to this.

You'll be happy with one.

Sidewinder
06-01-2008, 10:34
Toddhiker you are right I meant Caldera Cone, sorry about that. Thanks, I'll check one out, the reviews I've read are good.

greentick
06-02-2008, 05:07
I assume you mean Caldera Cone???

If so, I really like mine. Boil time is good, efficiency is better than good, and it is very windproof. The only drawback (although it doesn't bother me) is that it packs larger than some other setups. Search BPL for solutions to this.

You'll be happy with one.

I just got mine last week. They now come with a packing container of food grade plastic - a cylinder that the stove kit (stove, windscreen, fuel, etc) fits in. Seems fairly tough. The top of the container would make a decent cup.