PDA

View Full Version : those difficult stretches

Honey Bee
05-31-2008, 11:42
i'm planning a hike with my dog after i graduate from college (hopefully next year) and was wondering how many days it takes to hike the smokies. how long will my dog be in a kennel?
same question for baxter state park.
it makes me sad that pup won't be able to get to the Big K with me. c'est la vie.

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2008, 11:46
Roughly 70 miles of trail through GSMNP.

Here's some kennel info http://traildog.hypermart.net/appalachian_trail.htm

rafe
05-31-2008, 11:47
Five days to a week for the Smokies. As to Baxter, you only "need" to be there for a day or two. No effin' way would you ever get a dog up to Katahdin summit, IMO.

peakbagger
05-31-2008, 12:56
Its a real long day to start at the the BSP boundary near Abol bridge, climb to the summit and get back down the mountain to a trailhead to get a ride out of the park in one day. Realistically you may want to plan a a day and a half.

DavidNH
05-31-2008, 13:49
Allow a good week to get through the smokies. You can't bring your dog into the smokies. There are docents who have walkie talkie communication with rangers.

Regarding Baxter.. first off it doesn't matter whether or not your dog COULD get up Katahdin. It Won't because the rangers will stop you. Yes you will be found, stopped, and probably fined. This infraction would probably rank up there with stealth camping. This park takes regulations seriously and thank god for that!

As far as time, from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream campground it is a good 10 miles. About half a day to hike it. It may be possible to get up and down Katahdin in the same day but man that is long. A 30 mile round trip from Abol bridge WITH one of the toughtest climbs of the entire trail tossed in. So allow two days at least. Day one go to K Stream and then stay at the birches and rest. Then climb Katahdin. afterwards you can always hitch out to Millinocket or, if you were a mind to, hike back to Abol Bridge.

David