PDA

View Full Version : First

sneaker
05-31-2008, 11:54
Hello all,

I'll be the first to kick this off. Planning a thru in '09. It s hard to say for sure, but here is the plan - NOBO. I am still trying to make the work thing go away so that the boss and I can do this.

sneaker

4eyedbuzzard
05-31-2008, 12:23
Hello all,

I'll be the first to kick this off. Planning a thru in '09. It s hard to say for sure, but here is the plan - NOBO. I am still trying to make the work thing go away so that the boss and I can do this.

sneaker

NOBO isn't a plan. It's a compass heading.;)

I'm trying to get the work thing NOT to go away. The economy is shot. Lots of hard times ahead in this country. Don't know how good that job you're working to make go away is, but now is not the time I would give up a good secure job for a thru-hike. The trail will always be there. A good job may not. The reality is that there's an 80% probability you won't finish a thru-hike anyway.

If you can get a leave of absence, or if it's a crap McJob or you're between school and job, or job and job, then yeah, go for it. Otherwise consider carefully your choices.

Just the reality.

Chance09
05-31-2008, 13:05
i'm planning a nobo thru hike this spring as well. i'm leaving sometime around early march, and my or may not be by myself. My cousin may be comming with me.

ZZXF
05-31-2008, 21:24
I hear you on the economy issue, but I think it's hard to say whether someone else's choices are right for them or not. People are in all different circumstances, and whether or not they find themselves at a transition point that others see as natural, transitioning still may be what's right for them at this point in time. And besides, I think half the point of a site like Whiteblaze is for all of us to seek camaraderie and encouragement in the face of a world that sees us as crazy.

At any rate, I'll put my situation out there. I'm a lawyer, and I hate my job. I've been dreaming of a thru-hike for a while now. My husband will be graduating from school next spring, and we'll almost certainly be moving to a new city, so I'll have to quit my job sooner or later. The safe route would be to keep working through summer and find a new job while I'm still employed. With all the layoffs occurring, I might not make it that far even if I try. And besides, I've tried safe my whole life, and it hasn't exactly left me satisfied. So, if I can keep my job through the end of the year, I think I'll be resigning sometime after the first the year to finally follow my dream. After all, once we get settled somewhere and start thinking about kids, I won't get another chance for quite a while.

Lyle
05-31-2008, 21:54

I'm trying to get the work thing NOT to go away. The economy is shot. Lots of hard times ahead in this country. Don't know how good that job you're working to make go away is, but now is not the time I would give up a good secure job for a thru-hike. The trail will always be there. A good job may not. The reality is that there's an 80% probability you won't finish a thru-hike anyway.

Just the reality.

Some of us have jobs that are in demand, and not going away. Most anyone in the health care field for instance still have employers paying sign-on bonuses, and they will be for the foreseeable future - big shortages and too few students to fill 'em. Getting licensed in a health field was a good choice.

Now if I could just set aside the thought of messing up my pension by quitting, I'd be out hiking!:)

Tennessee Viking
06-01-2008, 02:30
Hello all,

sneaker
Just tell your work that your going on a sabbatical.

sneaker
06-01-2008, 08:38
The reality is that there's an 80% probability you won't finish a thru-hike anyway.

I try to put a positive spin on things - there is at least 20 percent chance that one will complete the thru.

Monkeywrench
06-03-2008, 11:48
I'm a lawyer, and I hate my job. I've been dreaming of a thru-hike for a while now.

I've been doing the same thing (IT crap) for a quarter of a century. I'm sick of it, and don't want to do it anymore. I keep slacking off dreaming of hikes and bike tours and whatever else anyway, so I figure if I don't quit they'll eventually fire me anyway. That being the case, I might just as well plan my hike...

Chance09
06-03-2008, 12:18
so I figure if I don't quit they'll eventually fire me anyway.

Just happened to a good family friend of mine. The 3 main IT guys at a micron plant in VA were told they were going to be let go in a few months and their jobs were going to be outsourced to India. They said they were going to keep 1 of them but didn't say which.

Unfortunately he can't get away to hike for 6 months tho.

But I'll look forward to seeing you no the trail.

trailmomma4
06-03-2008, 13:16
My son, Big Red, and I are planning a thru-hike leaving early March (NOBO). I am trying to figure out how to get his last two months schoolwork done while on the trail. And how to keep his father from trying to stop the trip! :( But, what is meant to be, will be.....

Footslogger
06-03-2008, 13:23
Some of us have jobs that are in demand, and not going away. Most anyone in the health care field for instance still have employers paying sign-on bonuses, and they will be for the foreseeable future - big shortages and too few students to fill 'em. Getting licensed in a health field was a good choice.

Now if I could just set aside the thought of messing up my pension by quitting, I'd be out hiking!:)
==============================

You're correct about the healthcare field. Sooner or later though you have to make up your mind about the hike and just go for it. That's what I did in 2003 and I've never looked back. Had to sort of start all over again workwise when I got back but it was worth it !!

'Slogger

Blissful
06-03-2008, 14:44
Just tell your work that your going on a sabbatical.

That's what I did. They worked around my schedule.

Montana Mac
06-03-2008, 17:42
My son, Big Red, and I are planning a thru-hike leaving early March (NOBO). I am trying to figure out how to get his last two months schoolwork done while on the trail. And how to keep his father from trying to stop the trip! :(

you don't say how old your son is - is he due to graduate? Have you approached the teachers to see if they can give him advance assignments that he can mail in from mail drops? When I was in grade school my parents took us out of school a few different times. My father explained to the teacher that experiencing the geography was better than reading about - or at least that is the story he told us.

Are you and his father still married or is there a custody issue? If a custody situation who has custody?

Good luck with it and hopefully it can be done.

whitefoot_hp
06-23-2008, 14:54

If you can get a leave of absence, or if it's a crap McJob or you're between school and job, or job and job, then yeah, go for it. Otherwise consider carefully your choices.

Just the reality.

Wow!! how encouraging!!

Bare Bear
07-08-2008, 19:42
I have always found it interesting what some people think is important that just never occurred to me at all. I think everyone goes where their heart leads them. I wish everyone well and hope to meet many new hiker friends on the Trail in 09. It is the mental that stops us, always. It is also what allows us to go on dispite all reason at times.

sneaker
10-05-2008, 02:24
Gearing up and still making plans for March of 2009.

I plan on sending a memo to the boss soon asking for the leave of absence. I do have the vacation and sick time in the bank.

I have read, and re-read trail journals,this site,and others. I have had several shake down hikes with my gear. Note worthy sites include SGT ROCK, Trail quest and a few others.

I have been hitting the gym, day hiking and this December, I will do a seven day section hike as a final shake down.

Some gear was purchased, some still needs to be purchased, and some was home made.

My only hiccup is getting the time off from work AND still having a job when I return.

There is a ton of information on this site. Read it, understand it and see if it will work for you. As others have said: Hike your own hike!

sneaker

Montana AT05
10-08-2008, 06:28
Go for it. Don't live a life without risk.

Take good risks, yes, but don't shell up out of fear of what may happen.

"What does one risk in a life of security and what does one secure in a life of risk?"

Have a good hike. It will be hard. Very hard at times. Keep on truckin'.

Montana Mac
10-08-2008, 07:35
Life is no more than making a decision. When I was offered a guiding job in Montana I took it. It was a decision I made and I was willing to live with the consequences - big salary cut, divorce, relocating, etc, etc. But it was also, as the cliché goes "a dream come true". I have spent the last 12 years being able to be enjoying some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer in and around Yellowstone NP.

Was it worth all - without a doubt!! I "retired" from that job this year to get ready for my GA>ME09 hike. Another life long dream. You will only live once (unless you believe in reincarnation:)) so don't go through life without living it.

Serial 07
10-08-2008, 10:22
hike the hike...work sucks! i mean, unless you got kids...then feed them kids!

Wilson
10-08-2008, 10:38
hike the hike...work sucks! i mean, unless you got kids...then feed them kids!
Exactly, If you don't have kids...just go do it.

trailmomma4
10-08-2008, 11:07
you don't say how old your son is - is he due to graduate? Have you approached the teachers to see if they can give him advance assignments that he can mail in from mail drops? When I was in grade school my parents took us out of school a few different times. My father explained to the teacher that experiencing the geography was better than reading about - or at least that is the story he told us.

Are you and his father still married or is there a custody issue? If a custody situation who has custody?

Good luck with it and hopefully it can be done. Sorry that I haven't answered this- computer problems couldn't get fixed for a while- He will be finishing 8th grade when we go. I have a meeting with the vice principle next week to talk to him about our options. Hopefully the divorce will be final by the time we leave. I will have physical custody. We are counting down the days. Can't wait!!! My 20 year-old may be going with us. Won't know for sure until later this year/first of '09.

sneaker
11-01-2008, 01:00
Okay. I am back from seven days in north TN.

We (the wife, the dog and me), camped on private property in north TN for eight days and seven nights. Daytime highs were in the upper forties. Nightly lows were in the twenties. The lowest low was 22 degrees.

Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba. No proplems. I will use a single person tent or a tarp for my thru.

Bag: Marmot Helium 15 degree. No problems. I layered up as needed.

Kitchen: Snow Peak 700 and soda can stove. No problems.

Spork: Light My Fire. Broke at 22 degrees.

Plastic soap dish (murphy kit): broke at 29 degrees.

Other items: shell and rain paints worked in 18 hours of non-stop rain. My layering system worked without a hitch. Bag: Vapor Trail was slightly on the small side, but it worked for the 25 pound load that I had for winter/fall/spring.

I will look in to another spork for cold weather. I will look in to an extra small stuff sack for my Murphy kit.

This was a great shake down run of my gear. My dog (half black lab and half chow) even earned a trail name - peanut butter. Picture a black dog covered in the peanut butter mud of Tennessee.

Although this was a family camping trip, it was also my gear shake down and there was some backpacking during the day. We set up camp each evening and broke camp each morning. Meals were made on soda can stoves as was coffe and tea. Water came from a near by branch and was treated.

I know that this wass not the AT and that this was not a thru hike. But, it was my primer. A chance to see if every thing would work. A chance to check my layering system, sleeping system, cooking system, water treatment system and my ability to perform in the cold. And yes, I know that 22 degrees is warm compared to lower tempts but, I can not control the weather.

Still cleaning my gear and working on an absence from work,

Good luck, and I hope to see yall in 09,

sneaker