PDA

View Full Version : thru hiking with a vapor ki?

atsent
05-31-2008, 16:39
After a recent 5 day outing I've seen the light. I've switched out my Osprey Ariel which weighs in at well over 4 pounds to a 2 pound, 2 oz. Vapor Ki. It's a tad smaller (at 3600 ci) than the Ariel and also is meant for much smaller loads (that being the goal) but I'm willing to give it a go, especially since it felt so good on my back in the store. Thoughts and/or experiences on thru hiking with a vapor ki? I'm planning to go southbound next year. Thanks :)

rafe
05-31-2008, 16:46
Other than saying Granite Gear makes really nice packs... not much to add. As a "thru-hiking" pack, the Vapor Trail is a bit too small for my needs, but makes a nice pack for overnight and weekend hikes in summer & early fall.

Del Q
05-31-2008, 18:51
Me too, I was out this morning on a local trail near Philadelphia, about 35 pounds or so, new ULA Catalyst, I amd done with 40 pound packs, total for next section hike in the Fall (CT & MASS - 150 miles) is about 32 pounds with food for 4 days and water.

Lighter pack.
Lighter tent.
A lot less "stuff".

Lighter is the way to go, less pain, less blisters, I am a changed hiker.

PJ 2005
05-31-2008, 20:59
Oh my God, brilliant. It took me half the trail to switch out my Aether 75 for a Vapor Trail. It felt like flying. You'll love it.

PJ 2005
05-31-2008, 21:00
Don't aim for the 30 pound limit, though. My VT feels best around 25. Be smart about your gear (tarptent, anyone?) and you'll have no trouble getting there.

Toothpaste and soap are for suckers ;)

gumball
06-01-2008, 08:43
Not a thru hiker, but have strung many weeks at a time together--no problem with the VT. Carries 30-32 at the beginning of a resupply well, or when you reload with water. Yes, much more comfortable at 25, but it can handle her in the short term.

sneaker
06-02-2008, 12:11
The wife just got a Ki (keye or key?), her base weight is just over nine pounds. We have been day hiking local trails and she loves it. Planning s five day hike and that will be the litmus test. We have overstuffed it with winter clothes to see if all would fit and it will.

Good luck with your back. Pack it, hike it and make it work for you.

Sneaker

Atreau
06-02-2008, 12:24
5 days of food, 4 liters of water and my base = 22 pounds
As a newb Nobo with about 600 miles, for what it's worth I haven't seen a nicer pack that is as durable and comf as myvapor.
I think it's peanut butter jelly time. :banana

yappy
06-07-2008, 21:13
The vapor is awesome but 35 is about the limit like other folks have said. Very comfy packy though and tuff.. mine has over 2000 miles on it and it still is holding up well.

Pokey2006
06-07-2008, 21:24
Don't overload it! Not only will it be uncomfortable, but you'll have too much wear and tear on it to last your whole hike. Keep it to 30 pounds, and it's a great pack. I love mine, and though it's getting old, and I have three other packs to choose from, it's still my favorite pick for most outings.

trailfoot
07-27-2008, 23:10
After a recent 5 day outing I've seen the light. I've switched out my Osprey Ariel which weighs in at well over 4 pounds to a 2 pound, 2 oz. Vapor Ki. It's a tad smaller (at 3600 ci) than the Ariel and also is meant for much smaller loads (that being the goal) but I'm willing to give it a go, especially since it felt so good on my back in the store. Thoughts and/or experiences on thru hiking with a vapor ki? I'm planning to go southbound next year. Thanks :)

I think the Ki might do the trick. I started with a vapor trail -- touch small
Switched to an Osprey Atmos65 -- best pack out there IMO...love the mesh back. Ki will get soaked with sweat