PDA

View Full Version : DC to Harpers Ferry to Hostel question

ofthearth
05-31-2008, 17:01
Mileage question; How far is it from the HF train station to the HF Hostel?

McCaw book gives no mileage I can find , ATC says 3.5, App. Pages says 1.5.

Where are they measureing from?

Last train from DC arrives in HF 8:47 PM. Hostel closes 10:00 PM. Is this an Amtrak train and do I need to allow extra time for that?

Any insights info appreciated.

Lion King
05-31-2008, 17:14
There is a really nice hostel right in Harpers Ferry right next door to Ron and Lauras OUTFITTER AT HARPERS FERRY (Ask them they can direct you) and across the street (Basically) from the train station.

The other hostel is about 2 miles give or take from there.

Cookerhiker
05-31-2008, 18:13
Mileage question; How far is it from the HF train station to the HF Hostel?

McCaw book gives no mileage I can find , ATC says 3.5, App. Pages says 1.5.

Where are they measureing from?

Last train from DC arrives in HF 8:47 PM. Hostel closes 10:00 PM. Is this an Amtrak train and do I need to allow extra time for that?

Any insights info appreciated.

Lion King's suggestion is good. What many think of the Harpers Ferry Hostel (indeed, that's the name) isn't even in the same state - it's across the Potomac in Knoxville, MD.

The way I read the Companion, it's 2.9 miles from the bridge over the Potomac to the road where you turn left, walk another .9 miles, then turn right for .2 miles (uphill) to the hostel. But per the hostel's website (http://www.harpersferryhostel.org/findus.shtml), you can take a shortcut.

The last train isn't AMTRAK but MARC (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/index.cfm) - the Maryland commuter rail. Here's the timetable (http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/2-08BrunswickInsidePanel.pdf) for the line which goes out to Harpers Ferry. Note that it's only weekdays.

AMTRAK's one route is the Capitol Limited (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Horizontal_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256321384&ssid=10977) and arrives in HF at 5:16.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-31-2008, 19:08
The tracks are often speed limited in the summer when it gets over 90 degs and the trains run slower, getting there later. Don't count on getting there on time.

Pepper Beard
06-01-2008, 03:18
Two other options:

1) take the MARC train to Brunswick to get to that hostel that way. A lot more arrivals there than to Harper's Ferry and the walk to Knoxville isn't that far.

2) HIKE along the C&O canal from Washington to that hostel if you have the time. It's a nice 3 to 4 day hike along flat ground to get there but you'll get scenery and other stuff that is completely different than the AT. An easy swim also, just dip into the Potomac if you get hot.

Blue Jay
06-01-2008, 09:50
There is a really nice hostel right in Harpers Ferry right next door to Ron and Lauras OUTFITTER AT HARPERS FERRY (Ask them they can direct you) and across the street (Basically) from the train station.

The other hostel is about 2 miles give or take from there.

This is correct. The Town's Inn is a wonderful place and only slightly more expensive than the one in Maryland, well worth it. If you call Karan Townsend at (877)489-2447 there is a good chance you can get in any time. She and her staff is very hiker friendly.

dmb658
06-01-2008, 15:49
i just stayed at the towns inn the other day. great place, 30$, just call ahead for a reservation cause it will fill up fast.

Footnotes
06-01-2008, 21:07
Ofthearth,

I rode the MARC trains for 13 years 5 days a week. I live just South of HF. What NicktheGreek says about speed limitations in hot weather is true. There are many other things that tend to slow the trains down (i.e. track maintenance, thunderstorms, equipment problems, etc). I would venture a guess that atleast 25% of the trains are late.

The walk from Brunswick to Knoxville is further than from HF. I would suggest you stay in HF if possible.

Regards,

Foot Notes