PDA

View Full Version : Green superfeet. Yay or nay?

atsent
05-31-2008, 17:26
I've heard great things about these. Do you agree? Are they worth buying (for a SOBO thru-hike)? Thanks

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 17:30
I love mine. They do require a breaking in period (wear them for about 2 hours the first day, 4 hours the next day and six the following day). They realign the foot correctly and that helps people with alignment problems, but normal feet a lot. If you have actual foot problems, consult a doc about the best insert for you.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-31-2008, 17:38
I've heard great things about these. Do you agree? Are they worth buying (for a SOBO thru-hike)? Thanks
I like them but they work better NOBO:D

Footslogger
05-31-2008, 17:45
In general I would say yes ...but the detailed answer is that it depends on your feet. Superfeet are excellent foot beds however the green "Trim to Fits" are designed for the average foot and not for those with more extreme foot issues (pronation, supination etc).

Years ago I was trained to fit and sell SuperFeet through an outfitter. I learned to evaluate feet and recommend the best footbed based on that evaluation. It's been years now but I still swear by them and currently have SuperFeet in every pair of footwear I use for hiking/backpacking.

'Slogger

Lyle
05-31-2008, 17:46
I went with the new orange version. These add metatarsal padding. My last major hike caused severe toe numbness and burning pain any time I stepped on a rock - not a good thing while hiking PA! The pain/numbness lasted for over a year after my two-week trip. For full disclosure, I was wearing older trail shoes for that hike.

This past year I bought new Vasque trail runners and replaced the insoles with the Orange Superfeet. I had no problems at all adjusting to them, it did take several hours of wear before I no longer felt them, but no pain involved. I just got back last week from my Amicalola to Fontana section (170 miles) and can report no significant toe numbness or pain. Had one mild incident when I thought I may be developing it again, but a foot massage at lunch solved the problem and it didn't return. Also, this is the first trip in many years that I didn't get even a hint of a blister, nor take a single Vitamin I!

The literature that accompanied the Orange Superfeet description stated that it was designed for those experiencing metatarsal discomfort. They worked GREAT for me, I will be buying more pairs of Superfeet for all my regular shoes - I'm sold.

Alex
05-31-2008, 21:07
I like them for stability and support, but I do agree that they offer very little cushion, at least that I can feel. I have actually used them with regular insoles underneath before. I too just got a new set of the orange variety that has a little more padding that I am saving for my '09 thru attempt.

orangebug
05-31-2008, 21:25
This would have been some nice info before my hike. I couldn't find anyone at Moosejaw or Backpacking.Com who knew the difference between orange and green.

Footslogger
05-31-2008, 21:38
I like them for stability and support, but I do agree that they offer very little cushion, at least that I can feel. I have actually used them with regular insoles underneath before. I too just got a new set of the orange variety that has a little more padding that I am saving for my '09 thru attempt.
==================================

SuperFeet are not designed to be "cushy". They work on a different principle. They are designed to stabilize the heel and support the arch.

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 21:47
An FYI - the women's model of the new insole is 'Berry' colored - the men's is orange.

Pokey2006
05-31-2008, 22:02
Since we're talking Superfeet...anyone know what price range these are in? Thinking of getting some myself.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 22:02
Since we're talking Superfeet...anyone know what price range these are in? Thinking of getting some myself.$39.95 at REI

fiddlehead
05-31-2008, 22:04
I used green ones when my feet were giving me problems. THey worked great and solved the problems. AFterwards, when those shoes and superfeet wore out, i stopped using them. NOw, i have no problems.

Pokey2006
05-31-2008, 22:04
Ouch.

Though I guess it's a bargain if they really do help the feet...

Lyle
05-31-2008, 22:08
$35.95 for Orange Superfeet (Green are cheaper) from Feet Relief. Included Priority Mail shipping.

http://www.feetrelief.com/feetrelief/superfeet.htm

I tried this company and was very pleased with the ease and speed of their delivery. Recommended.

Pokey2006
05-31-2008, 22:16
Isn't there a blue, too? Which are best for hiking? How long do these things last, anyway?

Lyle
05-31-2008, 22:21
The Blue are thiner and are designed for shoes that do not come with removable insoles. They take up less space in the shoe.

For active outdoor sports (hiking) the manufacturer recommends the green or orange/berry. From what I've read, some people have found that if the green or orange were too much for them and they couldn't adjust to them, that the blue worked better. As I said earlier, I had zero problem adjusting to the orange model.

Check out the link in my earlier post. It has a very detailed comparison of the various models.

Footslogger
05-31-2008, 22:22
Since we're talking Superfeet...anyone know what price range these are in? Thinking of getting some myself.
=======================================

If you know your size, consider checking out eBay. You can save quite a bit of money by going that route.

'Slogger

dessertrat
06-01-2008, 14:05
The two best pieces of equipment I own are my orange Superfeet and my EMS Techwick jersey. They work great, precisely as advertised. Well worth the money.