PDA

View Full Version : Practical Backpacking registration question

ofthearth
05-31-2008, 20:54
Has anyone ever had a problem registering with Practical Backpacking? Some thing about not accepting free e-mails like gmail.(Only one I use.) Maybe I'll join LW's other trail fourm- Trailplace :eek:

Appalachian Tater
05-31-2008, 20:57
Practical Backpacking doesn't want you to register. They won't even let you post a link to them from this website, they redirect it back here. Try it.

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/index.php

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 20:59
The guy that runs Practical Backpacking has some serious control issues and appears to be somewhat paranoid. Among his symptoms is that he will not allow anyone to join with a free email account.

Odd Thomas
05-31-2008, 21:40
The guy that runs Practical Backpacking has some serious control issues and appears to be somewhat paranoid. Among his symptoms is that he will not allow anyone to join with a free email account.

That's such a hassle. I don't even bother with POP mail accounts anymore, and I'll be darned if I'm going to pay an ISP to keep an account active for 6 months while hiking just to participate in a forum,

That would be impractical.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2008, 21:45
Apparently Bernie Wilt, aka Reality, of Practical Backpacking doesn't realize that many no longer use POP accounts. As you note, they are just not practical for today's mobile hikers.

HYOH
05-31-2008, 22:35
Apparently Bernie Wilt, aka Reality, of Practical Backpacking doesn't realize that many no longer use POP accounts. As you note, they are just not practical for today's mobile hikers.

So what you're saying is "Practical Backpacking SUXS" :-? I agree!

burger
06-01-2008, 12:45
You can actually read PB posts without registering. In google, search for whatever you're looking for with "site:practicalbackpacking.com" and the word "archive" thrown in there. The archived text (no links or images, but that's no big deal) can be read without logging in.

Appalachian Tater
06-01-2008, 12:47
The real question would be: Is there anything available there not available here? The podcasts don't require registration.

Bearpaw
06-01-2008, 13:08
The real question would be: Is there anything available there not available here? The podcasts don't require registration.

If you're looking for general info or trail specific info west of the AT, PBF has some very good scoop. Granted, there are some ringers here, like MAGS who is a champion of the Colorado Trail and adjoining areas, but PBF offers a solid west coast frame of reference that is somewhat lacking here.

And of course, there are no p***ing contests because they get deleted before they can start, though for some here I'm pretty sure conflict is WHY they like Whiteblaze.

Different strokes. BTW, I DO admit to hanging around WB much more than PBF.

Egads
06-01-2008, 13:36
You can always try www.NWhikers.net for trail info in the NW. They have been helpful to me when planning two trips.

PBF blows. I have not been there in a year since "Realty" stood me up on a hike that was prearranged after he said he wanted to meet. Odd behavior.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 14:44
PBF blows. I have not been there in a year since "Realty" stood me up on a hike that was prearranged after he said he wanted to meet. Odd behavior.From what I heard, Reality has stood up a lot of people for hiking plans. Does anyone know if the guy actually hikes?

The Weasel
06-01-2008, 19:10
I only joined Practical Backpacking the other day, out of curiosity. It has a different style, and the Administrator seems to want it that way. As for "no free email accounts," I think that may be from a concern that "spam joiners" can do so easily with such accounts, although I don't really care. Others who do perhaps might ask him by a PM, and it would be interesting to know his answer.

PB seems to be a fairly new site. People may not recall it, but WB had a lot of "how should these things be handled" issues in its early days, and things were very spacey here, from time to time. (Yes, compared to now. Hard to believe, but true.)

I'm a little surprised that he is being called names, though, and being accused of things based on hearsay ("From what I heard...", presumably from others), particularly by one of the senior Moderators here at WB. WhiteBlaze got a lot of flak in its early days from other sites, and, frankly, I think it's a bit beneath us. If there's a new hiking site out there, let's be glad, and hope that it matures into something as fun as this place. If there is room for all the diversity that WB shows inside this site, there is room for just as much diversity outside of it.

FWIW.

The Weasel

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 20:46
TW, PBF is over a year old and the others I heard the info from are people I know and trust.

BTW, I'm not a mod here anymore. I resigned several weeks ago.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 21:00
i joined earlier today. took 3 minutes. what's the big deal?

Appalachian Tater
06-01-2008, 21:01
TW, PBF is over a year old and the others I heard the info from are people I know and trust.

BTW, I'm not a mod here anymore. I resigned several weeks ago.
I registered and my account was deleted within the next few minutes without explanation, along with the one post I had made answering someone's question.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 21:03
I registered and my account was deleted within the next few minutes without explanation, along with the one post I had made answering someone's question.

cuz you're an obvious troll with little hiking experience. duh!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 21:07
::: Dino seen taking bets on how many posts LW will make before being banned :D :::

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2008, 09:31

cuz you're an obvious troll with little hiking experience. duh!

::: Dino seen taking bets on how many posts LW will make before being banned :D :::

Crikey, That's too Funny....

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/troll.jpg

max patch
06-02-2008, 12:53

LW was a valuable contributor to the old Dan Bruce version of Trailplace. He answered questions accurately and followed the terms of service.

He (and others) stirs the pot here because he knows he can get away with it.

So the answer to your question is that he will be a contributing member of PB as long as he wants to be.

Odd Thomas
06-05-2008, 05:19
i joined earlier today. took 3 minutes. what's the big deal?

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/register.php

"Practical Backpacking™ is not accepting new membership registrations at this time."

What'd you have to do? :p

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 08:47
LW was a valuable contributor to the old Dan Bruce version of Trailplace. He answered questions accurately and followed the terms of service.

He (and others) stirs the pot here because he knows he can get away with it.

So the answer to your question is that he will be a contributing member of PB as long as he wants to be.Interesting comment, but it doesn't explain why LW got banned at the new TP where he couldn't stir the pot.

max patch
06-05-2008, 09:01
Interesting comment, but it doesn't explain why LW got banned at the new TP where he couldn't stir the pot.

I didn't know that LW was banned from the new version of trailplace.

But LW DID try to stir the pot at the new version of trailplace. He probably got banned as 7 sisters (the moderator) probably got tired of deleting posts with 4 letter words.

There may have been other reasons. I don't go there much, but that is what I saw.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 09:03
And you think Bernie Wilt / Reality is going to allow LW to use profanity at PBP :confused:

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 09:04
I didn't know that LW was banned from the new version of trailplace.

But LW DID try to stir the pot at the new version of trailplace. He probably got banned as 7 sisters (the moderator) probably got tired of deleting posts with 4 letter words.

There may have been other reasons. I don't go there much, but that is what I saw.

no 4 letter words. just wasn't gonna take mechanical man's BS. he's the biggest stirrer on trailplace. he won't get bannned ,he's 7sisters boy. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 09:06
Thanks for weighing in, LW.

Do you plan to participate at PBP or did you just join to see if you could do it? Seriously, if MM's BS got to you, I can't see you dealing with Reality's nonsense.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 09:09
Thanks for weighing in, LW.

Do you plan to participate at PBP or did you just join to see if you could do it? Seriously, if MM's BS got to you, I can't see you dealing with Reality's nonsense.

mm's bs didn't "get" to me. i give it right back, like i did here but the pussy couldn't take it so he ran away to trailplace.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 09:14
mm's bs didn't "get" to me. i give it right back, like i did here but the pussy couldn't take it so he ran away to trailplace.By take, I meant 'roll over and play like it isn't happening'. If you call Reality on his nonsense, you will be banned faster than you were from TP.

BTW, having to deal with MM is the reason I rarely go over to TP these days. Life's too short to spend peeing in the wind generated by blowhards.

max patch
06-05-2008, 09:22
BTW, having to deal with MM is the reason I rarely go over to TP these days.

Sign of the apocalypse...I agree with Dino and Omarosa get the Dems nomination all in the same week.

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 09:31

i've already participated. i'm not lone wolf on there either. i'm still on trailplace too

max patch
06-05-2008, 09:44
What I find strange is that Bob McCaw bought the site, but he has made 7 Sisters the face of the site. Its as if Bob doesn't exist. If I ever set up a forum -- and I never will -- I would certainly interject my own philosophies and beliefs.

Perhaps the site is just a vehicle for handbook sales?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-05-2008, 09:51
What I find strange is that Bob McCaw bought the site, but he has made 7 Sisters the face of the site. Its as if Bob doesn't exist. If I ever set up a forum -- and I never will -- I would certainly interject my own philosophies and beliefs.

Perhaps the site is just a vehicle for handbook sales?Bob is real, but he has a life outside of TP. He can't be there to supervise the site so he put someone he trusts in charge of that.

Bare Bear
06-05-2008, 12:20
As said in "Meatballs" andf "Animal House" the movie, "It just doesn't matter."