PDA

View Full Version : I might be able to start in Middle of August....

Pepper Beard
06-01-2008, 03:42
HEre an idea for me.

Start on August 2007, walk the C&O canal path from Washington and meet up with the AT at Harper's Ferry.... Then going SOBO

In April of 2008.... walk the C*O canal until Harpers Ferry then start walking NOBO>

Would this qualify me as a 2009 TRU HIKER, or a 2008 THRU HIKER or not one at all.

I like the idea of four days of smoother walking to break in everything before hitting the mountains.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 06:30
For ATC purposes, you would be considered a 2009 completion (they don't recognize thru or section hiking - just completion). Most would see your hike as a thru-hike.

Blue Jay
06-01-2008, 09:44
Would this qualify me as a 2009 TRU HIKER, or a 2008 THRU HIKER or not one at all.

Unless you're trying to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 or the Boston Marathon or some such sporting event, IMO it is best just to hike and not even consider qualifying as anything.

max patch
06-01-2008, 11:35
HEre an idea for me.

Start on August 2007, walk the C&O canal path from Washington and meet up with the AT at Harper's Ferry.... Then going SOBO

In April of 2008.... walk the C*O canal until Harpers Ferry then start walking NOBO>

I like the idea of four days of smoother walking to break in everything before hitting the mountains.

1. You'll need a time machine to make this plan work.

2. Section hiker. Not a thru hike.

Bare Bear
07-08-2008, 19:55
Hike the hike for what it is. Do not worry about the designation. Take your time, enjoy it. I met a nice 60ish lady in 06 that was heartbroken because she realized after a month that she could not finish in one season (she was 'up to' 10 miles per day after a month). She was going to quit at the next trailhead. We talked for an hour and I encoraged her to make it to Harpers Ferry in 06 then plan on coming back in 07 to finish. I got a nice email from her when she summitted. Her whole problem (abandone her dream; ready to get off the Trail) was in her mind set. Once she settled on doing what she could she found a happy trail.
Best of luck and enjoy your hike whatever it is.