PDA

View Full Version : There is a trail god - BACON!

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2008, 09:00
I remember last few months all the stuff you folks wrote about fake bits, pieces, drying real bacon etc. & even I just got a new stainless steel smoker....

What if you could take 14 oz of real smoked BACON on the trail consuming 7 oz the the day you opened it and finish it on the second?

While unopened - NO Refrigeration!

Well I found this in a specialty store in Maine. I was stunned.

http://www.broadbenthams.com/products.cfm?ID=5

Rockhound
06-01-2008, 09:16
when you said bacon i thought you were talking about something else. sorry.

tzbrown
06-01-2008, 10:18
:sun
Check out the salad section in your local grocery store. They probably have Oscar Mayer Bacon bits in 3 oz packages.

Drop the unopened package in you coffee water as it heats, when the water is hot the bacon is also, open and eat with a spoon.

Hormell and Oscar Mayer also make pre-cooked bacon strips in sealed packs.

My wife insists, "if we hike it has to be bacon for breakfast"

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2008, 11:23
when you said bacon i thought you were talking about something else. sorry.

This is the food section, Not Kevin Bacon!

Seriously fully smoked prepack fry it up yourself, No refrigeration BACON!

russb
06-01-2008, 11:36
real bacon was originally created as a way to preserve meat without refrigeration so it makes sense that any real cured/smoked bacon would be able to withstand a prolonged backpacking trip. My biggest concern would be the cleaning of the pan and disposal of the grease.

Bearpaw
06-01-2008, 13:11
We can buy smoked bacon in the grocery store right next to me for 1/4 that price. Saw it on the shelf just a couple of days ago.

Check around, you may be able to find it too.

Jan LiteShoe
06-01-2008, 15:45
Check out the salad section in your local grocery store. They probably have Oscar Mayer Bacon bits in 3 oz packages.

I loved those while I was hiking. On a down day, a hit of that salt and fat could really perk up my steps. I think, drinking all the water one does in summer hiking, it's easy to flush too much salt away.

It catapults packaged Cajun Red Beans and Rice to the Next Level.
:banana

dmb658
06-01-2008, 15:56
my favorite is the pre-cooked microwavable bacon. its already cooked and i've never had it go bad on me. its one of my favorites

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2008, 21:11
We can buy smoked bacon in the grocery store right next to me for 1/4 that price. Saw it on the shelf just a couple of days ago.

Check around, you may be able to find it too.

Yea I saw that too, the 16 oz package I came home with is part of that large box and she sold it too me for $4

Ok the smoked bacon you saw was it unrefrigerated?

4eyedbuzzard
06-01-2008, 22:11
real bacon was originally created as a way to preserve meat without refrigeration so it makes sense that any real cured/smoked bacon would be able to withstand a prolonged backpacking trip. My biggest concern would be the cleaning of the pan and disposal of the grease.

Put some of the grease/pan drippings in your peanut butter. Sounds nasty but it tastes good and makes use of the oil calories.

camojack
06-02-2008, 00:23
Someone should tell Matthewski about all these bacon options... :-?

gold bond
06-02-2008, 10:05
What disease to your "cured ham" have?

max patch
06-02-2008, 10:09
I respect my body too much to put bacon in it.

sneaker
06-02-2008, 12:23
I respect my body too much to put bacon in it.

What? Your body was designed to eat meat...and that is all I'm gonna say about that.

Sneaker

mudhead
06-02-2008, 12:27
Bacon is no longer pork.

Panzer1
06-02-2008, 12:27

your not supposed to dispose or the grease. Your supposed to save it and use it for other purposes like starting campfires, adding to other foods, or just using it as a fuel to cook on.

Panzer

Panzer1
06-02-2008, 12:37

Does it say you don't have to refrigerate bacon? I didn't see that when I went to the link.

Panzer

commonwealth_hiker
06-02-2008, 15:24
and that stuff is Broadbent bacon, too. Literally the best bacon money can buy.
It's from KY, too.

Hikes in Rain
06-02-2008, 15:31
your not supposed to dispose or the grease. Your supposed to save it and use it for other purposes like starting campfires, adding to other foods, or just using it as a fuel to cook on.

Panzer

Makes a surprisingly good candle/lamp. Heavy cotton string wick, gives a bright white smokeless light. Surprised the heck out of me when I first tried it; surprised the wife even more when she saw a bacon fat candle in the refridgerator. :D

whitefoot_hp
06-02-2008, 16:54
surely everyone knows about the pre cooked bacon you can buy now...

beckyjean
06-02-2008, 19:58
What? Your body was designed to eat meat...and that is all I'm gonna say about that.

Sneaker
In every respect, humans show the anatomic and physiologic features typical of an herbivore. A full and complete discussion of these features is well beyond the scope of this short article. What follows is a random sampling of facts.
Upright posture leaves the human abdomen, ovaries and testes completely exposed and, potentially, fatally vulnerable. Whereas standing and walking are very energy-efficient for humans, running is not.
We are extremely slow runners and have very poor stamina. We have a carbohydrate-digesting enzyme in our saliva called salivary amylase.
The human esophagus does not handle poorly chewed food very well. Over 90% of the people who choke to death each year choke on meat.
Human body length (head to tail bone) is typically 2.5 to 3 feet. Thus, at >25-30 feet in length, the human small intestine is clearly designed for digesting plant material.
Only herbivores have an appendix. No matter how much fat and cholesterol you feed carnivores like dogs and cats, they NEVER develop coronary artery disease.
In places where people eat a high fiber, whole food diet, appendicitis and diverticulosis are unknown.
Studies in western countries have shown that on average, vegetarians have smarter children, suffer significantly lower rates of chronic disease, obesity and dementia, and live longer than their meat-eating counterparts.
So, to answer the question posed by the title of this piece: NO, we are NOT designed to eat meat!

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 20:05
Humans are by nature omnivores, not herbivores. Your science is biased junk.

woodsy
06-02-2008, 20:11
Well it was only a matter of time before an anti meat eater showed up and attempted to ruin a good meal with Bacon. :rolleyes:

mudhead
06-02-2008, 20:17
Wait until she gets ahold of MS. That might be amusing.

But then, I like beans.

beckyjean
06-02-2008, 20:17
hey.. i loved bacon at one time, and respect anyones way of eating, and dont find it offensive, or have ANY problem with it, but i just simply posted a reply to someone else. i am not trying to RUIN a meal..
Standard western nutritional dogma "classifies" human beings as omnivores. The statement "humans are omnivores" has been repeated so often that it has acquired the patina of received truth. But like a patina, the "truth" inherent in this statement is only microns deep.
While it may be true that most humans are "behavioral" omnivores (that is, they choose to include meat in their diet) this behavioral fact says nothing about whether including meat in our diet is an appropriate choice from an anatomic, physiologic and heath perspective. What is surprising is that despite abundant evidence showing that large amounts of meat and other animal foods in one's diet leads to all types of chronic diseases, and that varied plant-based diets promote better heath, the idea that humans are supposed to be omnivores has rarely been challenged or critically examined by the scientific community. Thus, although national health policy guidelines clearly direct us away from animal foods and towards a plant-based diet, many in the scientific community remain oblivious to what is being implied. That implication is that humans are not omnivores inasmuch as increasing amounts of animal foods in the diet promote increasing levels of chronic disease.
Clearly, it is difficult to arrive at or recognize "the answer" if one never asks the appropriate question.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-02-2008, 20:19
Makes a surprisingly good candle/lamp. Heavy cotton string wick, gives a bright white smokeless light. Surprised the heck out of me when I first tried it; surprised the wife even more when she saw a bacon fat candle in the refridgerator. :D
That's aroma therapy I can get into.

woodsy
06-02-2008, 20:22
So you're not trying to ruin our meal, just trying to save our Bacon ? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing013.gif

beckyjean
06-02-2008, 20:24
lol i guess so!!

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 20:25
There is a big difference in stating that the choice to consume a low or zero animal flesh, high vegetable, grain, legume diet is healthier; as opposed to promoting politically/culturally motivated "junk science" that classifies humans as herbivores. You can't change the scavenging nature of our species just because you want to. Real science doesn't work that way.

woodsy
06-02-2008, 20:33
I like my Bacon fried, then cook eggs in the fat, then eat the eggs while still dripping in the fat....yuuuuuumy. Then take bread or bagel and soak up all the leftover fat...just what a hiker needs for breakfast!
And if I can catch some trout, they cook in the bacon fat too!

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 22:24

Yes you are right, and I have had much difficulty locating the old ways locally, even in Amish Lancaster. You cannot walk into ACME or any other mass food market & get this quality product, it is very difficult to find. Almost nobody is willing to age bacon in a smoker an additional day before market. To locate it on a store shelf unrefrigerated was a unique situatation..

Since then I opened the packet & fried a small portion up. It is salty & incredibly smoky and wonderful, it might be too salty for some.

gold bond
06-04-2008, 08:49
hey.. i loved bacon at one time, and respect anyones way of eating, and dont find it offensive, or have ANY problem with it, but i just simply posted a reply to someone else. i am not trying to RUIN a meal..
Standard western nutritional dogma "classifies" human beings as omnivores. The statement "humans are omnivores" has been repeated so often that it has acquired the patina of received truth. But like a patina, the "truth" inherent in this statement is only microns deep.
While it may be true that most humans are "behavioral" omnivores (that is, they choose to include meat in their diet) this behavioral fact says nothing about whether including meat in our diet is an appropriate choice from an anatomic, physiologic and heath perspective. What is surprising is that despite abundant evidence showing that large amounts of meat and other animal foods in one's diet leads to all types of chronic diseases, and that varied plant-based diets promote better heath, the idea that humans are supposed to be omnivores has rarely been challenged or critically examined by the scientific community. Thus, although national health policy guidelines clearly direct us away from animal foods and towards a plant-based diet, many in the scientific community remain oblivious to what is being implied. That implication is that humans are not omnivores inasmuch as increasing amounts of animal foods in the diet promote increasing levels of chronic disease.
Clearly, it is difficult to arrive at or recognize "the answer" if one never asks the appropriate question.

Being from the south....we eat meat and lots of it! We BBQ it, grill it, fry it (with lard by God!), boil it, whatever. We were made to eat meat...meat is good. Day doesn't go by that I do not see a tractor trailor load of chickens, cows, pigs...whatever and I can't wait to get home to supper. Even all the big resteraunts have come to realise this...they put meat in their salads now...go figure!

MOWGLI
06-04-2008, 08:55
Being from the south....we eat meat and lots of it! We BBQ it, grill it, fry it (with lard by God!), boil it, whatever. We were made to eat meat...meat is good. Day doesn't go by that I do not see a tractor trailor load of chickens, cows, pigs...whatever and I can't wait to get home to supper. Even all the big resteraunts have come to realise this...they put meat in their salads now...go figure!

Checkout the CDC health statistics. There is a reason why the southeast is referred to as the "stroke belt", and why the southeastern states contain the un-healthiest Americans. It might taste good, but from a health perspective, it's not very smart.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-04-2008, 09:27
Yes you are right, and I have had much difficulty locating the old ways locally, even in Amish Lancaster. You cannot walk into ACME or any other mass food market & get this quality product, it is very difficult to find. Almost nobody is willing to age bacon in a smoker an additional day before market. To locate it on a store shelf unrefrigerated was a unique situatation..

Since then I opened the packet & fried a small portion up. It is salty & incredibly smoky and wonderful, it might be too salty for some.
Maybe you soak it for a bit like a smithfield ham

max patch
06-04-2008, 10:45
Checkout the CDC health statistics. There is a reason why the southeast is referred to as the "stroke belt", and why the southeastern states contain the un-healthiest Americans. It might taste good, but from a health perspective, it's not very smart.

I was beginning to think that I was the only one on this website that understands nutrition.

I love the taste of bacon and sausage and biscuits but I don't eat them. The momentary pleasure of the taste is not worth the heart problems down the road.

4eyedbuzzard
06-04-2008, 10:52

'bacco, beer, and bacon don't usually equal a long life. There's a lot more than just the bacon alone though driving the health stats down in dixie. Lots of smoking and alcoholism and fried food as well.

mudhead
06-04-2008, 11:45
I love the taste of bacon and sausage and biscuits but I don't eat them. The momentary pleasure of the taste is not worth the heart problems down the road.

Or the resulting chub on the backside.

But hey! Don't mean rain on someone's grease parade. I can't even tolerate the smell, myself.

envirodiver
06-04-2008, 11:57
When the tomatos in the garden ripen...there is nothing better than a BLT on whole wheat toast (that part's healthy right).

woodsy
06-04-2008, 12:02
When the tomatos in the garden ripen...there is nothing better than a BLT on whole wheat toast (that part's healthy right).
Yup, tomatoes destroy bacon fat molecules;)

envirodiver
06-04-2008, 12:04
Yup, tomatoes destroy bacon fat molecules;)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:sun

KnowledgeEngine
06-04-2008, 12:39
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/1/4/2/bacon_bra_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25329&c=694)
This is my preferred way to carry bacon. I find a female hiking companion to "shoulder" most of the weight. I also find that bacon boxer briefs reduces chafing on long hikes for me.

4eyedbuzzard
06-04-2008, 13:01
***? No bacon thong?

gold bond
06-04-2008, 14:08

HORSE PUCKY!!! My Grandmother is 96 and my Grandfather is just as old, I know others but these are the two I'll use for my example, eat pork and meat for every meal! Where America's health issue's are a problem is we have become to freakin lazy as a society. We sit around and clickity clickity on the computer all day. As a blue collar worker that spends 10-12 hrs a day out in the heat and cold doing HVAC work I can tell you this without a problem. Just as well we are a society that is a "instant gratification" society and a drive thru or a buffet is what we want. Super size it is what they all say. Not just here in the southeast there big boy but check out some of the old waist lines all over America!

woodsy
06-04-2008, 14:46
Good points gold bond.
How the old timers ever lived into their nineties without counting calories and grams of fat is a real mystery. :rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
06-04-2008, 14:48
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/1/4/2/bacon_bra_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25329&c=694)

I like bacon!!!!!!

max patch
06-04-2008, 14:51
Good points gold bond.
How the old timers ever lived into their nineties without counting calories and grams of fat is a real mystery. :rolleyes:

Their lifestyle wasn't as sedentary as ours is today.

But if they'd watch their diets they would have made it out of their 90s and into their 100s.

woodsy
06-04-2008, 14:52
Now there's some bacon I'd eat raw http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gifhttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/1/4/2/bacon_bra_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25329&c=694)

warraghiyagey
06-04-2008, 14:54
Now there's some bacon I'd eat raw http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/laughing021.gifhttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/7/1/4/2/bacon_bra_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25329&c=694)
OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gif

woodsy
06-04-2008, 15:07
OHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/dance009.gif
Oops, gutter ball! :o Probably is the trail god Wise old Owl really meant to post about.

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 10:05
Oops, gutter ball! :o Probably is the trail god Wise old Owl really meant to post about.

I have kept quiet up to now because I am still waiting for the unrefrigerated raw bacon thong photo!:eek:

4eyedbuzzard
06-06-2008, 10:15
Their lifestyle wasn't as sedentary as ours is today.

But if they'd watch their diets they would have made it out of their 90s and into their 100s.

Yes, undoubtably they died in their 90's from poor dietary choices and bad nutrition. Genetics and aging had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 10:19
HORSE PUCKY!!! My Grandmother is 96 and my Grandfather is just as old, I know others but these are the two I'll use for my example, eat pork and meat for every meal! Where America's health issue's are a problem is we have become to freakin lazy as a society.

It's a combination of a number of factors, and dietary choices should not be minimized. Either should physical activity and other lifestyle choices (tobacco & alcohol consumption).

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 10:23
'Bacon, tobacco and alcohol consumption. . .
these are a few of my favorite things'

kanga
06-06-2008, 10:26
i second that emotion!!:banana

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 10:31
i second that emotion!!:banana
Yupperdoodle!:)
Unfortunately it caused me to fail out of the MOWGLI ZenMaster Course I was taking. . . . poop.:(
I feel healthy though.;)

kanga
06-06-2008, 10:34
Yupperdoodle!:)
Unfortunately it caused me to fail out of the MOWGLI ZenMaster Course I was taking. . . . poop.:(
I feel healthy though.;)

as long as you're happy, i'm happy:sun

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 10:37
as long as you're happy, i'm happy:sun
That's what I think too!!!!!!! :sun:sun

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 11:49
we are all happy on Bacon, alcohol, pot.... oh I mean tobacco - Then we die for lack of Mowgli Zen?

Pass the pork around the fire!

woodsy
06-06-2008, 11:52
Happy is good, like bacon :sun:sun

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 11:53
Pass the pork around the fire!

Great way to get sick. NOBODY, and I repeat, NOBODY touches my food on the trail.

PS: Only packsniffers eat bacon when out on the trail. :banana

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 12:05
:D
Great way to get sick. NOBODY, and I repeat, NOBODY touches my food on the trail.

PS: Only packsniffers eat bacon when out on the trail. :banana

Hey,
I am going to take that very personnally, where does a MOD get off calling me a packsniffer for me enjoying a Bacon & Eggo Breakfast in the morning, Packsniffer??? go back to your oatmeal old man.:D

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 12:07
:D

Hey,
I am going to take that very personnally, where does a MOD get off calling me a packsniffer for me enjoying a Bacon & Eggo Breakfast in the morning, Packsniffer??? go back to your oatmeal old man.:D

First of all, I'm not a Mod.

Secondly, I didn't make the rules. Mags did. I happen to have an advanced readers copy of his book. It's quite good.

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 12:11

Secondly, I didn't make the rules. Mags did. I happen to have an advanced readers copy of his book. It's quite good.

I was kidding, but I have no clue what you are talking about - oh you mean the zen thing?

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 12:34
On a side note: I have seen more people get sick by not rinsing the soap off the cooking gear, and not washing their hands.

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 12:47
On a side note: I have seen more people get sick by not rinsing the soap off the cooking gear, and not washing their hands.

How would you know?

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 12:57
well it wasn't from bacon - it was the look of surprise as the kids projectile vomited into the campfire.

MOWGLI
06-06-2008, 13:02
well it wasn't from bacon

You don't know that - unless you know for a fact that they (whoever "they" is) didn't eat bacon.

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 13:05

Yupperdoodle, course don't forget lard. Everything is better cooked in lard.

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 13:08
well it wasn't from bacon - it was the look of surprise as the kids projectile vomited into the campfire.

Shouldn't they have vomited into the bag they were carrying their poop in?

That's poor LNT right there. :eek:

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 13:10

I would say that HIKE MY HIKE, DADGUMMIT is no doubt destined for Oprah's book club in the near future.

kanga
06-06-2008, 13:20

real hikers use sand...

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 13:23
Does anyone have experience with those bacon flavored dog treats that they advertise on TV. It seems like those would hold up well on the trail.

kanga
06-06-2008, 13:48
Does anyone have experience with those bacon flavored dog treats that they advertise on TV. It seems like those would hold up well on the trail.

and now, folks, we take you back to projectile vomiting:cool:

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 15:23
and now, folks, we take you back to projectile vomiting:cool:

Be sure to use good LNT :p

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 15:50
Actually they are delicious when fried in lard. Mmmmmmmmmm.;)

Pedaling Fool
06-06-2008, 15:55
This is my preferred way to carry bacon. I find a female hiking companion to "shoulder" most of the weight. I also find that bacon boxer briefs reduces chafing on long hikes for me.
Being the perfect gentleman that I am, I would gladly relieve your female companion of the weight on her shoulders.

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 16:03
Being the perfect gentleman that I am, I would gladly relieve your female companion of the weight on her shoulders.
I like milk with bacon.;):)

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 16:59
Actually they are delicious when fried in lard. Mmmmmmmmmm.;)

Thanks I'll give it a try.

That dog on TV sure does like em. He dances and everything. I love watching dogs dance.

envirodiver
06-06-2008, 17:00

What a good samaritan.

Footslogger
06-06-2008, 17:06
Ya know ...bacon is the one thing I can't bring myself to eat since the heart attack. Not because I don't like it ...I'm afraid I'll go through an entire pound at a single sitting.

'Slogger

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 17:07
Ya know ...bacon is the one thing I can't bring myself to eat since the heart attack. Not because I don't like it ...I'm afraid I'll go through an entire pound at a single sitting.

'Slogger
Slog's in the howwwwwse! :sun

Knocky
06-06-2008, 18:16
Bacon carries well on the trail. I enjoy the flavor, and the fat content is good for ya too.
Those that don't like bacon, or don't approve, are just not welcome around my fire. :)

warraghiyagey
06-06-2008, 18:56
Goodness, what other exclusions does your fire encompass?

trouthunter
07-31-2008, 19:45
If you have anodized aluminum tent stakes:

Get a package of round white mushrooms, several strips of bacon, wrap bacon around mushrooms, skewer. Cook over your stove, or better yet over a bed of coals. Add veggies, fruit, or seafood like crawdads (ha-ha).

ENJOY!!

CT5150
08-02-2008, 02:06
My brother became a vegetarian and he says that the only thing he misses is BACON.

JumpInTheLake
08-24-2008, 15:18
Bacon carries well on the trail. I enjoy the flavor, and the fat content is good for ya too.
Those that don't like bacon, or don't approve, are just not welcome around my fire. :)

I'll second that!

http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/bacon-briefcase.jpg

http://getgoswimwear.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/standing.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/F47/O09V/F2FRVHPN/F47O09VF2FRVHPN.MEDIUM.jpg

http://www.hwfreak.com/Images/november2007/bacon_turkey.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p176/rnemovr/770506771_574603a252.jpg

I do love bacon!

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 15:44
If you have anodized aluminum tent stakes:

Get a package of round white mushrooms, several strips of bacon, wrap bacon around mushrooms, skewer. Cook over your stove, or better yet over a bed of coals. Add veggies, fruit, or seafood like crawdads (ha-ha).

ENJOY!!

Trouthunter... You can join my campfire anytime ....:)

oldfivetango
08-24-2008, 16:34
My dear old grandmother died about 3 months shy of her
94th birthday of leukemia.It MUST have been from all the bacon,
red eye gravy,and lard biscuits that she ate every day.

She had 4 sons,one never ate any meat and died in the first
week or so he lived.The oldest son lived to be 78 and ate all
the stuff mama cooked including his wife's veggies that were
cooked with raw bacon for flavor.You ate it last as I recall if you
were the lucky one who got it on your plate:D

Somebody pass the bacon please!
Oldfivetango

JumpInTheLake
08-24-2008, 17:02
My dear old grandmother died about 3 months shy of her
94th birthday of leukemia.It MUST have been from all the bacon,
red eye gravy,and lard biscuits that she ate every day.

She had 4 sons,one never ate any meat and died in the first
week or so he lived.The oldest son lived to be 78 and ate all
the stuff mama cooked including his wife's veggies that were
cooked with raw bacon for flavor.You ate it last as I recall if you
were the lucky one who got it on your plate:D

Somebody pass the bacon please!
Oldfivetango

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that a meat and fat rich diet is healthy. I tried the vegetarian lifestyle in the nineties for a couple of years. I feel much better when I eat lots of fatty meat, and my blood pressure is down. I try to stay away from grains too.

Bring on the bacon! :):)

Jan LiteShoe
08-24-2008, 17:27
There is plenty of evidence to suggest that a meat and fat rich diet is healthy. I tried the vegetarian lifestyle in the nineties for a couple of years. I feel much better when I eat lots of fatty meat, and my blood pressure is down. I try to stay away from grains too.

Everything in moderation, sayeth the sages.
:)

Exercise regularly, eat healthy, and your body can withstand a few culinary blue blazes. I will add, however, that as someone who reads and researches extensively, the food system is looking pretty scary, with ecoli scares, irradiated meat and now greens, cloned meat entering the food chain, GMO-everything (did you know you consume genetically-modified food on a daily basis? You won't, if the label-lobbyists continue to have their way with the FDA - avoid corn, canola, cottonseed and soy unless marked organic if you wish to sidestep this rather huge question mark).

I'm to the point of buying organic, growing most of my own organic veggies and preserving them for the winter, and harvesting honey from my untreated hives.
But By God, I do love a plate of bacon!

I rarely indulge this love, but when I do, I buy from a local small farmer and feel not a whit of regret.
:eek:

Dances with Mice
08-24-2008, 17:41
I'm to the point of buying organic, growing most of my own organic veggies and preserving them for the winter, and harvesting honey from my untreated hives.It's getting a little harder to preserve stuff. Is it getting more popular? Today I needed some widemouth pint jars for pickling squash, okra and peppers. No problem, everyone had them earlier this season. I jumped in the car and went off to buy a case.

- Ace Hardware was sold out of all jars except half-gallons. Who in their right mind would buy half-gallon Ball jars?! I got one case.

- 1st food store (Ingles) was sold out.

- Wal-Mart was also completely cleaned out. I noticed their price was $2 / case less than the other places without any jars.

- 2nd food store (Kroger) only had one case of jars left - narrow mouth quarts and a pack of decorative jelly jars.

Damn! Who'da thought it would be so hard to find Mason / Ball jars?

So after thinking about it for a minute I drove towards Atlanta and deep inside the 'burbs I stopped at another food store (Kroger). They had a pile of jars, all sizes. I got a case each of wide-mouth pints and quarts.

So today I put up 6 quarts of whole tomatoes, 4 pints of pickled squash (dill and bread and butter) a quart each of pickeled peppers and pickled okra and carrots. And made two pies from frozen blueberries picked from our bushes.

No, the blueberries weren't frozen when I picked them. But I need room in the freezer for the grapes I'm saving up to make wine.

And I planted carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage and radishes for a fall garden. I also learned the pinto beans I planted to harvest this fall for drying are pole beans. Who knew?

Jan LiteShoe
08-24-2008, 18:06
It's getting a little harder to preserve stuff. Is it getting more popular? Today I needed some widemouth pint jars for pickling squash, okra and peppers. No problem, everyone had them earlier this season. I jumped in the car and went off to buy a case.

- Ace Hardware was sold out of all jars except half-gallons. Who in their right mind would buy half-gallon Ball jars?! I got one case.

- 1st food store (Ingles) was sold out.

- Wal-Mart was also completely cleaned out. I noticed their price was $2 / case less than the other places without any jars.

- 2nd food store (Kroger) only had one case of jars left - narrow mouth quarts and a pack of decorative jelly jars.

Damn! Who'da thought it would be so hard to find Mason / Ball jars?

So after thinking about it for a minute I drove towards Atlanta and deep inside the 'burbs I stopped at another food store (Kroger). They had a pile of jars, all sizes. I got a case each of wide-mouth pints and quarts.

So today I put up 6 quarts of whole tomatoes, 4 pints of pickled squash (dill and bread and butter) a quart each of pickeled peppers and pickled okra and carrots. And made two pies from frozen blueberries picked from our bushes.

No, the blueberries weren't frozen when I picked them. But I need room in the freezer for the grapes I'm saving up to make wine.

And I planted carrots, beets, broccoli, cabbage and radishes for a fall garden. I also learned the pinto beans I planted to harvest this fall for drying are pole beans. Who knew?

Ah! Another WB gardener! I expect Superman to chime in. I've got the collards and spinach in already, the first wave of broccoli sets next week.

I got my jars earlier in the season, plus last year's jar so I don't know, but I DO know more people put in a vegetable garden this year, in light of higher food prices.

Our muscadines are coming in. I want to learn to make wine! I may have to pick your brain at the Ruck. Better, yet, bring samples! :)

Made the late-summer figs and Sandhills peaches are splendid this year. Last night I took nine large "Flame Prince" peaches, an organic lemon and an organic orange plus some candy ginger for heat and made 12 incredibly delicious jars of Ginger-Peach Marmelade. Incrdibly delecious! :)

I used the No-Sugar Ball pectin, and the cooked-jam recipe inside. Man! I have to stop myself from spooning it directly from the jar!

Peach cobbler tonight...
:banana

JumpInTheLake
08-24-2008, 19:27
I think I can relate to you folks. Our food supply is getting scary. I raise our own Berkshire pork, and some to sell. They live in the woods and on pasture, without hormones or antibiotics. They are very happy animals. Fourteen will be ready for processing in January.
We also have a one acre U-Pick blueberry patch, and we are experimenting with a large U-Pick vegetable garden. We try hard to feed ourselves and our three young kids whole unprocessed foods - and it sure is hard. The school system serves poison on a daily basis, and it seems that all the other parents are clueless. We are light years ahead of most folks, but we still have lots of room to improve.

astrogirl
08-24-2008, 21:53

I feel much better if I stay away from grains, and pulses are the only thing that give me heartburn. I find that without grains, I improvise with lots of green vegetables as the replacement.

I love bacon, but my favorite fat du jour is extra virgin coconut oil. Doing a lot of coconut curries, but to be honest, I can eat that stuff right out of the jar. :eek:

JumpInTheLake
08-24-2008, 22:00
I feel much better if I stay away from grains, and pulses are the only thing that give me heartburn. I find that without grains, I improvise with lots of green vegetables as the replacement.

I love bacon, but my favorite fat du jour is extra virgin coconut oil. Doing a lot of coconut curries, but to be honest, I can eat that stuff right out of the jar. :eek:

I eat Tropical Traditions coconut oil out of the jar too.

If I don't eat grains, I don't get heartburn either. Granola bars tear me up. If I eat those I'll need an ant-acid chaser. They taste great but they make me feel awful.

Dances with Mice
08-25-2008, 15:25
Ah! Another WB gardener! I expect Superman to chime in. ... I was telling the story of the Quest for Jars and how I eventually found them by driving towards the city, and somebody said "Ah! You found the Canning Line."

Bulldawg here on W-B makes muscadine wine. This will be my first year trying it. Last year I made muscadine jelly but evidently we don't eat as much jelly as we thought we would. I've still got unopened jelly jars.

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2008, 15:31

Yea but does your doctor agree with you?:cool:

Jan LiteShoe
08-25-2008, 19:05
I was telling the story of the Quest for Jars and how I eventually found them by driving towards the city, and somebody said "Ah! You found the Canning Line."

Bulldawg here on W-B makes muscadine wine. This will be my first year trying it. Last year I made muscadine jelly but evidently we don't eat as much jelly as we thought we would. I've still got unopened jelly jars.

Extra jars would go well on SoRuck biscuits.
Or, rather, the contents would.

If the wine fails, there's always ...

Scuppernong Ice Cream

3 cups sugar

2 cups whipping cream

1 quart light cream

2 cups chilled scuppernong juice

1/2 cup lemon juice

Combine sugar, whipping cream and light cream in a large mixing bowl

beat on medium speed of electric mixer 1 minute or until sugar dissolves.

Add juices and beat well.

Pour mixture into 1-gallon size freezer can.

I haven't tried it yet. Like bacon, ice cream disagrees with my waistline, to say nothing of the arteries.
But with all that resveratrol, ellagic acid and other potent anti-oxidants, maybe the scupps would cancel out the cream?

It must be near supper time!:)

JumpInTheLake
08-25-2008, 19:58
Yea but does your doctor agree with you?:cool:

I don't have a doctor. They'll kill you. I stay away from them. But there are plenty of doctors who will agree that a meat and animal fat rich diet is the way to go.

I did recently have a check up for an insurance policy. The nurse commented that it was unusual for her to see people my age with normal numbers. Fifteen years ago when I was thirty I was eating low fat, high carb, and my blood pressure was creeping up. I felt awful. My body was not thriving. I was not overweight.

The low fat, high carb, whole grain and unsaturated fat movement is more about fashion than health. It is based on junk science. One of the best of the many books that I've read on the subject is "The Great Cholesterol Con (http://www.amazon.com/Great-Cholesterol-Con-Anthony-Colpo/dp/1411694759)" by Anthony Colpo.

Fatty meat is one of the most nutrient dense foods available. Seven years ago I switched back to a diet consisting mostly of whole foods with plenty of meat, and I feel great. I seldom eat sugar or grains. I drink water and some milk.

I do realize that this is a thread about bacon, and on a serious note I'll say that I love bacon. Just so you people don't think I'm a lunatic, I'll admit that the chemicals used in the cure are not healthy.

I'll try to refrain from further comment. Unless it's about BACON!

Turtle2
08-25-2008, 20:39
and that stuff is Broadbent bacon, too. Literally the best bacon money can buy.
It's from KY, too.

Hey! they cure that in my town! Thought it was a well kept secret.

mweinstone
08-26-2008, 06:36
what the hell is this? and who the hell are all of you people?

JumpInTheLake
08-26-2008, 07:33
what the hell is this? and who the hell are all of you people?

We're bacon zombies. Did you bring bacon?

JumpInTheLake
08-26-2008, 08:04
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/nimashet/Baconcup.jpg

JumpInTheLake
09-03-2008, 21:15
Bacon Bloody Mary!

http://static.flickr.com/2111/2317910158_a41c77bca2.jpg

Wise Old Owl
09-03-2008, 22:44
I had no idea when I started this thread we would end up here....

Bulldawg
09-03-2008, 23:42
Speaking of my Muscadine Wine...........Many of you may or may not know that the stuff in Red Wine that makes it good for you is Resveratrol. Well wine made with ripe muscadines with skins left for the wine to ferment on contain as much as 20 times as much Resveratrol as does many varieties of Red Wine.

So go ahead and enjoy that bacon, just drink more muscadine wine.

JumpInTheLake
09-04-2008, 20:38
Krispy Kreme bacon cheddar cheeseburger!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3235/2625223578_ac8907df61.jpg?v=0

bpitt
09-05-2008, 10:46
Bacon, like butter and cheese, makes everything better.

russb
09-05-2008, 21:49
Bacon, like butter and cheese, makes everything better.

or chocolate.

JumpInTheLake
09-11-2008, 21:43
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/pmatyn/press_receieve_bacon.png

JumpInTheLake
09-17-2008, 21:13
http://www.found****.com/pictures/bizarre/bacon-floss.jpg

Obiwan
09-18-2008, 10:55
HORSE PUCKY!!! My Grandmother is 96 and my Grandfather is just as old, I know others but these are the two I'll use for my example, eat pork and meat for every meal! Where America's health issue's are a problem is we have become to freakin lazy as a society. We sit around and clickity clickity on the computer all day.

Amen....Preach It!

My sainted GG was 98 years old and they (nutritionists) tried to tell her she could not have ham....we told the people in the nursing home that ham might just be the way she got to be 98 and to leave her alone!!!

I got zero issue with anyones dietary choices....I think it is great that we live in a country where we can make these kinds of decisions rather than just being happy there is food on the table;)

I got a little problem with people that define themselves by their dietary choices, at least to the extent that they act superior (intentional or not)

And a little warning (http://http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422767,00.html) for you bunny rabbits...cause I love you

Obiwan
09-18-2008, 10:58
Hmmmm...my link fu is weak

Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/index.html)

<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Health Home (http://www.foxnews.com/health/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">HEALTH VIDEO (http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html?maven_referralPlaylistId=0584b95d549539 151306eb9308b922772edd6cdd) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Ask Dr. Manny (http://www.foxnews.com/health/askdrmanny/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Acid Reflux GERD (http://www.foxnews.com/health/acidreflux/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Cholesterol (http://www.foxnews.com/health/cholesterol/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Incredible Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/incrediblehealth/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Healthy Living (http://www.foxnews.com/health/index.html)
<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Men's Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/men/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Women's Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/women/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Children's Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/children/index.html)
Longevity (http://www.foxnews.com/health/longevity/index.html)
<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Health Centers (http://www.foxnews.com/health/index.html)
<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.foxnews.com/health/acidreflux/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Allergy (http://www.foxnews.com/health/allergy/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Alternative Medicine (http://www.foxnews.com/health/alternative/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Arthritis (http://www.foxnews.com/health/arthritis2/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Beauty & Skin (http://www.foxnews.com/health/beauty/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Cancer (http://www.foxnews.com/health/cancer/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Cholesterol (http://www.foxnews.com/health/cholesterol/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Cold & Flu (http://www.foxnews.com/health/coldflu/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Dental Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/dental/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Diabetes (http://www.foxnews.com/health/diabetes/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Juvenile Diabetes (http://www.foxnews.com/health/diabetes/juvenile/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Headaches & Migraines (http://www.foxnews.com/health/headaches/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Heart Disease (http://www.foxnews.com/health/heart/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Infectious Disease (http://www.foxnews.com/health/infectious/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Mental Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/mentalhealth/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Neurology (http://www.foxnews.com/health/neurology/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Nutrition and Fitness (http://www.foxnews.com/health/nutrition/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Pet Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/pethealth/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Pregnancy (http://www.foxnews.com/health/pregnancy/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Sexual Health (http://www.foxnews.com/health/sexualhealth/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Sports Medicine / Orthopedics (http://www.foxnews.com/health/sportsmedicine/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Stop Smoking (http://www.foxnews.com/health/stopsmoking/index.html)
Vision (http://www.foxnews.com/health/vision/index.html)
<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Text Alerts (http://www.foxnews.com/health/alerts/index.html) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">NEWS ARCHIVE (http://www.foxnews.com/archive) <LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">HOT TOPICS
<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">FOX News Election Coverage (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/youdecide2008/index.html)<LI itxtvisited="1" _extended="true">Celebrity Gossip (http://www.foxnews.com/gossip/index.html)
FOX Movietone News (http://www.foxnews.com/movietonenews/index.html)

SECTION MAP (http://www.foxnews.com/sitemap/0,4937,69,00.html)
SEE MORE - Bird Flu - Cancer - Heart Disease - Diabetes - Neurology - Mental Health - Nutrition and Fitness - Pregnancy - Sexual Health - Longevity - Things You Should KnowSend news tip to FOXNews.com
SUBMIT (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422767,00.html#)

FOXNEWS.COM HOME (http://www.foxnews.com/index.html) > HEALTH (http://www.foxnews.com/health/index.html)
Vegetable-Only Diet Ups Risk for Brain Shrinkage

Being a vegetarian may actually be bad for your brain, according to a study published in the Sept. 9 issue of Neurology, The Sun reported.
The study said those on a meat-free diet (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422767,00.html#) are six times more likely to suffer brain shrinkage as the most vitamin B12 is found in meats, liver, fish and milk.
According to the study, vitamin B12 may protect older people against brain shrinkage.
A study of 107 people between the ages of 61 and 87 found that people who had higher B12 levels were six times less likely to experience a loss in brain volume compared to those who had lower levels of the vitamin in their blood. None of the people in the study had a B12 deficiency.
Brain shrinkage typically occurs after the age of 60 and has been linked to memory loss.
For the research, participants underwent brain scans, memory testing and physical exams. Researchers also collected blood samples to check vitamin B12 levels. Brain scans and memory tests were performed five years after the initial testing.
"Many factors that affect brain health (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422767,00.html#) are thought to be out of our control, but this study suggests that simply adjusting our diets to consume more vitamin B12 through eating meat, fish, fortified cereals or milk may be something we can easily adjust to prevent brain shrinkage and so perhaps save our memory," said study author Anna Vogiatzoglou, of the University of Oxford, in a news release.

wrongway_08
09-19-2008, 08:29
"Being a vegatarian may actually be bad for your brain"

No crap, that why we have those neat meat eating teeth in our mouths! God (who/whatever ever you believe in) put them there for a reason.

Ran into one of these vegatrians that had a dog with him on the trail - feeding his dog a vegatarian food!! Needless to say the dog was tired, skinny and just not wanting to hike, go figure, they have a bunch of them meat eating teeth also! If you wanna screw yourself up, thats fine but for godsake, let the dog live a normal life.

To each his own but there will always be a dead animal on my plate, if it knocks off a month off my life, who cares, I enjoyed my meals.

Bacon is great, I like the precooked stuff for backpacking, when I can find it on sale.

Blissful
09-19-2008, 10:41
W'ere going to try the precooked turkey bacon on this weekend's trip - I find the other too greasy for the 'ol gallbladder. We'll see how it tastes in a cheese and egg burrito.

JumpInTheLake
09-20-2008, 13:47
To each his own but there will always be a dead animal on my plate, if it knocks off a month off my life, who cares, I enjoyed my meals.

I believe that dead animals on one's plate will add greatly to your life.:)

middle to middle
09-20-2008, 14:27
I listen to my body. After eating freeze dried food for several days I encountered a person frying up a half pound of bacon. The smell was irresistible ! The guy cooking it poured the bacon fat into an uncut loaf of bread and ate it. I went into the general store bought bacon and did the same thing. I think I actually got high on the grease.

JumpInTheLake
09-23-2008, 07:32
Bacon Jelly Beans
http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11849.jpg

JumpInTheLake
10-01-2008, 20:14
http://www.theanticraft.com/images/beltane2008/baconhenge_zoom.jpg

Campsalot
10-01-2008, 22:19
Packit Gourmet (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Boars-Head-Bacon-Strips-p249.html) has their shelf-stable bacon on deep discount. Time to stock up! :D

phillycheze
10-17-2008, 12:41
bacon is in its own food group IMO.

oldbear
10-17-2008, 14:56
Y'know guys Proscuitto or any other dry cured ham such as Smithfield will work just as wlll as bacon will

JumpInTheLake
10-19-2008, 08:39
Y'know guys Proscuitto or any other dry cured ham such as Smithfield will work just as wlll as bacon will

There are plenty of ways to eat pork, but nothing takes the place of bacon!

Show me a prosciutto bikini!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_epKPqaAysio/RspKUa8CI5I/AAAAAAAAAZs/uk1SgbMkd9o/s400/bacon+bikini.jpg

oops56
10-19-2008, 09:27
Oh yes i love bacon even more now.Is there more then one type store to get it:-?

oldbear
10-19-2008, 13:04
There are plenty of ways to eat pork, but nothing takes the place of bacon!

Show me a prosciutto bikini!

http://bp3.blogger.com/_epKPqaAysio/RspKUa8CI5I/AAAAAAAAAZs/uk1SgbMkd9o/s400/bacon+bikini.jpg
A bikini made of paper thin translucent slices of Proscuitto de Parma
would look very tasty indeed

JumpInTheLake
11-27-2008, 00:20
Do you see the light? Bacon............http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/jeeper87/DeliciousLamp.jpg

Jan LiteShoe
11-27-2008, 01:29
Do you see the light? Bacon............http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t137/jeeper87/DeliciousLamp.jpg

Shades of Ed Gein! (http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/specialassignment/7403846.html)

Cuffs
12-05-2008, 22:36
And for you ultra lighters, get your bacon here: http://www.mcphee.com/items/11847.html

Cuffs
12-05-2008, 22:39
And theres just nothing like the fresh smell of bacon frying! http://www.mcphee.com/items/11076.html

Cuffs
12-05-2008, 22:40
If you put this on, I think it looks more like raw flesh than bacon.... http://www.mcphee.com/items/11476.html

JumpInTheLake
12-07-2008, 09:59
Click Free for you Cuffs

http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11476.jpg

JumpInTheLake
12-07-2008, 10:00
http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11847.jpg

JumpInTheLake
12-07-2008, 20:46
More from Cuffs. Click Free for your pleasure.
http://www.mcphee.com/pixlarge/11076.jpg

JumpInTheLake
01-09-2009, 18:58
Bacon Explosion - This thing looks totally delicious! Check it out now (http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/). The bacon thread must live!

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/images/bacon-10.jpg

Wise Old Owl
01-16-2009, 00:22
While my son attended college in Lancaster last year I actively looked for small Amish meat & cheese stores to find things that cannot be found anywhere. Unfortunately the small homemade small production farm delicacies have been shut out from the main markets by our government. A few places still sell what made Lancaster famous and they were located in houses and sell almost Amish to Amish. I discovered Landjaegers! A somewhat dried salami that is small easy to cut and provides lots of energy.
On a later trip to Maine, we went to a small Bavarian store in the middle of nowhere. I spotted inexpensive "The hiking companion" Landjaeger made by Shaller MFG in New York, it's in a vacuum sealed thick plastic. I dropped it into my pack and forgot about it! That was March, I just opened it and ate it and it was awesome. 10 months unrefrigerated. It was perfect. This is not hard salami, its actually soft centered and moist. There was two to a pack and one can forfill a lunch.
http://www.schallerweber.com/nutrition-landjaeger.html

Reid
01-17-2009, 16:26
I think the guy that created veganism got hit by a bus in San Fran when he was about 30.

WritinginCT
01-17-2009, 17:41
here's one for all you bacon lovers...

The Wake 'n Bacon (http://www.mathlete.com/portfolio/wakeNbacon.php)

Blissful
01-17-2009, 21:26
Just watched iron chef tonight on food channel where bacon was the secret ingredient, different varieties cooked in a dozen ways.

Wise Old Owl
01-19-2009, 14:41
Just watched iron chef tonight on food channel where bacon was the secret ingredient, different varieties cooked in a dozen ways.

Yes I enjoyed that too!

Slo-go'en
01-19-2009, 15:11
My biggest concern would be the cleaning of the pan and disposal of the grease.

Sorry to get into this thread so late in the game. When I was summer caretaker at Crag Camp in the Whites, I found there was a cabinet full of clean, glass jars - with lids. Must have been 50-60 of them. Then I noticed a lot of the campers cooked bacon in the morning and had no place to put the grease. I'd ask them what they planned to do with the grease. They had no idea. I told them they couldn't just dump it outside, as it would attract critters and stink. Then I'd pull out a glass jar and say "put it in here and carry it out with you". What a good idea they'd say, be glad to. I got rid of every single glass jar that way over the summer!

JumpInTheLake
01-19-2009, 20:49

I started watching it but I fell asleep. Did Bobby Flay win?

Jan LiteShoe
01-19-2009, 22:32
I started watching it but I fell asleep. Did Bobby Flay win?

Bobbie Flay?
Is that a real name?

Blissful
01-19-2009, 23:32
It was a tie. Never saw that before.

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2009, 19:05
Wendy's Baconator!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g676sKe6lkM&feature=related

Some images may be offensive, I did not put this together.

skinewmexico
02-24-2009, 19:37
I had to throw this in, even at the expense of it being misued by a morally and intellectually superior veg/vegan/vegetarian (and yes, I love bacon. Especially bacon wrapped bacon)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/891136/bacon-and-health-graph.jpg

Jayboflavin04
02-25-2009, 02:06
A resturant chain I worked at keeps their cooked bacon strips at room temp(2-3 day shelf life). They dont buy it pre-cooked either. Great snack while I was cleaning floors when i was the only one in the building...:)

Wise Old Owl
03-02-2009, 18:12
I had to throw this in, even at the expense of it being misued by a morally and intellectually superior veg/vegan/vegetarian (and yes, I love bacon. Especially bacon wrapped bacon)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/891136/bacon-and-health-graph.jpg

I feel your pain!

Jack Tarlin
03-02-2009, 18:33
Interesting bacon news flashes....... we actually found bacon-flavored dental floss on-line (and no, regrettably I'm not making up this disgusting news), and it should make a suitable engagement present for Matty. Also, plans are afoot for a serious Bacon Explosion (Google the phrase if you're in the dark here) in Duncannon next weekend, perhaps substituting local Scrapple for bulk sausage.

We'll give Lone Wolf a pass on this one....... :eek:

Medic!
03-06-2009, 22:50
As my first post on white blaze, I feel it is entirely appropriate that it is completely non-trail related. I actually HAVE a roll of that bacon floss. It was sent to my better half as part of a tacky gift swap. It smells, well, fantastic.... The taste however is more of a DOW Chemical plant explosion than delicious extasy...

4eyedbuzzard
03-06-2009, 22:57
As my first post on white blaze, I feel it is entirely appropriate that it is completely non-trail related.

Wow, you caught on quick.;):D
:welcome

charlie2008
03-07-2009, 00:42
Hiking? Trail what?
-
Pork Bacon addicts, rejoice!
A "Low and Slow" Stuffed and Bacon wrapped Ground Pork loaf.
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IiUAtoNBk

seedog
03-07-2009, 12:36
Not all uncooked bacon or sausage can go unrefriged. There are two different curing methods. Dry cure and wet cure. dry cure products are more thouroughly smoked,brined, loved and hugged by the butcher. Wet cure is fast production for large quaitities. Wet cured will go bad quicker, so know what your buying before you throw it in your pack.

JumpInTheLake
03-26-2009, 22:56
Comedian Jim Gaffigan on Bacon. Excellent way to spend two minutes and 24 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaK9bjLy3v4

Medic!
04-02-2009, 10:00
I'd like to resurrect this thread and post something the g/f found while searching the internet. No all I want to know is what she was searching for that turned this up...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html

It's perfect for backpac:sun:banana:sun:bananaking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moonshiner
04-02-2009, 14:13
irjf84)*kdf7

Desert Reprobate
04-03-2009, 22:21
UL Hikers can carry bacon from guinea pigs. Smaller strips, less weight.

JumpInTheLake
04-15-2009, 21:41
UL Hikers can carry bacon from guinea pigs. Smaller strips, less weight.

How is the tenderloin from a guinea pig? I bet it would cook fast.

Wise Old Owl
04-15-2009, 22:59
How is the tenderloin from a guinea pig? I bet it would cook fast.

Guinea Pig No - High on a Hog Yes!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Hogs.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/gomez56/IMG_0022.jpg

Dr O
04-16-2009, 02:52
In every respect, humans show the anatomic and physiologic features typical of an herbivore.

I thought humans were primates? Primates are omnivores.

Dr O
04-16-2009, 02:54
I thought humans were primates? Primates are omnivores.

nevermind, I didn't realize how old this thread is.

Dr O
04-17-2009, 02:29
Bacon powered cutting torch!

http://www.popsci.com/bacon

Now if someone would just make a bacon powered stove, you could cook bacon with bacon...

Wise Old Owl
11-16-2009, 22:15
Premium Smoked Amish Bacon wrapped around an awesome hot dog, real American Cheese, Sauerkraut, Grey Pupon

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/oops003sm.jpg

ShelterLeopard
11-17-2009, 00:40
I remember last few months all the stuff you folks wrote about fake bits, pieces, drying real bacon etc. & even I just got a new stainless steel smoker....

What if you could take 14 oz of real smoked BACON on the trail consuming 7 oz the the day you opened it and finish it on the second?

Freeze bacon, then fry it up. I did that one my two day hike this past weekend. But I'd do it on a longer hike too. And I will!

It'll last a while if it isn't in sweltering heat.

Connie
11-17-2009, 02:55
Bacon Salt (http://www.jdfoods.net/products/baconsalt.php) with freeze-dried scrambled eggs (on the trail)

lettuce and tomato sandwich (at home)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/geekgrrl_2007/BaconSalt.png

This thread is not real, right?

LimpsAlong
11-17-2009, 08:32

After everything has cooled you lick the pan clean and eat the grease. Or smear it in your hair to increase you chance of a bear sighting. If you did not think of this you are probably not a REAL bacon lover!

Wise Old Owl
11-27-2009, 22:06
http://www.broadbenthams.com/Broadbent-Country-Bacons/departments/4/

SL it was a bacon that was on the site that was sealed and did not require freezing.

harryfred
11-27-2009, 23:36
Give me BACON
Let me die with my foot to the floor and hands on the wheel.
Piss on you vegans, and your health statistics.

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 00:56
http://www.broadbenthams.com/Broadbent-Country-Bacons/departments/4/

SL it was a bacon that was on the site that was sealed and did not require freezing.

Thanks Owl- I meant that I do freezing instead. Though I'm thinking of going to my local butcher and getting heavily smoked bacon that doesn't need refridgeration, but I may just stick to the freezing method- I don't like ordering food by mail, usually...

squeezebox
11-28-2009, 06:53
Bacon martinis

4Bears
11-28-2009, 08:45
http://media.photobucket.com/image/canadian%20bacon/RanalRiegen/random-back-girl-16.jpg.xhtml

Because you never know when you might need it.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2009, 10:42
Practical to Tatical - Yea!

ShelterLeopard
11-28-2009, 11:18
I have tactical bacon!!!

4Bears
11-29-2009, 11:26
I have tactical bacon!!!

A smart lady who will go far is the one with a can of "Tactical Bacon" :D

ShelterLeopard
11-29-2009, 14:37
Amen to that 4Bears!!! :banana

Wise Old Owl
11-29-2009, 15:56
http://adeolaoladele.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pig-with-gun.jpg

spindle
12-05-2009, 12:15
I hate it when pink bacon puppets start arming themselves.

mmm bacon....

Wise Old Owl
12-05-2009, 13:32
http://mrjeffmccarthy.com/wp-content/images/bacon-tuxedos-lr.jpg

I have no clue what this is about.......SORT of a pig farmer who hasn't attended a parenting class or two.

ShelterLeopard
12-05-2009, 13:55
Bacon martinis

You would dilute BACON with a MARTINI??? Blasphemy...

Although, if you soaked bacon in vodka for a month, maybe you'd end up with "bacon extract".

kanga
02-05-2010, 12:52
every problem in the world has just been solved:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2010, 13:29
Poor old Matty is probably looking to buy a crate of this stuff even as we speak.

Unfortunately, the advertisement for this wonderful product first appeared on 1 April 2009. :D

ShelterLeopard
02-05-2010, 13:34
It's ironic though- lots of thinkgeek april fools products from the past have become real products... I can only assume that lots of people tried to buy the thing, wrote to thinkgeek and asked why they couldn't, and someone realized there's a profit to be made! (I am a devotee of thinkgeek.com - I admit it!)

ShelterLeopard
02-05-2010, 13:35
And I don't think matthewski'd buy this- he'd make his own...

JJJ
02-05-2010, 13:58
I've been thinkin' about packing with a small shoulder of cured pork.
But I've heard it's best to rinse as much of the salts out of it before cooking. Too much salt and nitrates are hard on ya.
You can use some of the excess grease as fry bread shortening.

kanga
02-05-2010, 14:50
Poor old Matty is probably looking to buy a crate of this stuff even as we speak.

Unfortunately, the advertisement for this wonderful product first appeared on 1 April 2009. :D
thank you captain obvious. i am so glad you were here to clear that up.:rolleyes:

Doooglas
02-05-2010, 15:11

I carry smoked fish for a few days too.Hard cheese is fine as well.
I like to eat well on the trail. The noodle doodlez can keep that crap. I can carry another 5 lbs., no problem.

off-pher
02-05-2010, 18:06
I've been thinkin' about packing with a small shoulder of cured pork.
But I've heard it's best to rinse as much of the salts out of it before cooking. Too much salt and nitrates are hard on ya.
You can use some of the excess grease as fry bread shortening.
I do this all the time dried cured bacon is the best!!! I always rinse it off or wash it without soap first.

Jack Tarlin
02-05-2010, 18:14
Actually, Kanga, it wasn't obvious at the time this thing first appeared on the Internet......lots of people actually DID believe this stuff was real.

(Google "Squeeze Bacon hoax" if you're interested).

But glad to see Kanga still like to bait me, I guess she hasn't found a better hobby over the winter.

Poor thing. :D

kanga
02-05-2010, 20:26
i'll let you know when they come out with squeeze pork chops.

warraghiyagey
02-05-2010, 23:35
i'll let you know when they come out with squeeze pork chops.
That would be awesome on toast with cheezewhiz! . . . :sun

veteran
02-06-2010, 00:53
Actually, there is a product BaconOst, it's cream cheese and bacon, the product is made by Kavli, a Swedish company, who produces soft cheese, caviar, mayonnaise and a variety of foods in tubes.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u41/siblog/Baconost.jpg

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20090401-baconost.jpg

http://www.kavli.se/wps/wcm/connect/se/Produkter/Bredbar+ost/Baconost

http://www.missingsweden.com/index.php?currency=USD&cPath=23_26

dzierzak
02-08-2010, 12:42
If bacon's not your thing...

From the "missingsweden" link previously posted.
http://www.missingsweden.com/images/pic_corn_tl.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/pic_corn_tr.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/products/Groceries/Bread%20accessories/kavli-adelowh175g.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:popupWindow('http://www.missingsweden.com/popup_image.php?pID=151')) http://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/pic_corn_bl.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/pic_corn_br.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.missingsweden.com/images/spacer.gifKavli Ädelost Whisky (http://www.missingsweden.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_26&products_id=151)
175g

Soft spread cheese on a tube with the delicious flavors of blue cheese and whiskey.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 11:31
not trail related but i bought my ole' lady a george forman grill and its AWESOME at cooking bacon! faster and all the extra grease drains out.

kanga
02-09-2010, 11:59
Omg! You've killed bacon!!!

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 12:05
somebody else killed it!
im just eating it. it doesn't dry out its just not swimming in the grease the whole time its cooking!
im eating it right now with my other hand. yum!!!

kanga
02-09-2010, 12:33
my mama does that to bacon and it is SACRILEGE i tell you!!

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 12:35
she does what to bacon?

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 12:37
its just a griddle that is sloped!a tiny bit :)

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 12:45
i'm 42 years and and phat (sorry) i mean't fat i've ate my fair share of bacon and then some. i know when bacon taste good. i love burgers and steaks too and you can cook them more than 1 way also! i've ate more bacon by accident than most people ever have on purpose:D

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 12:51
I think kanga may be talking about you wasting the bacon grease. :D

kanga
02-09-2010, 12:52
I think kanga may be talking about you wasting the bacon grease. :D
yes, ma'am. this is what i am saying.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 13:03
the grease in the little catch tray on the forman grill is the same amount as whats left in the frying pan after you take the bacon out. then you can use the grease anyway you want.:cool:

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 13:39
Use it to cook yer steak! (Maple bacon grease + steak= really good.)

kanga
02-09-2010, 13:45
but the bacon is not cooked in the grease, which takes away from it's bacon-ness..

Big Dawg
02-09-2010, 13:54
dang, ya'll making me hungry. It's lunch time,,, I'm gonna go make some bacon. hmmmmm, bacon, egg, & cheese sami, yummmmmm,, sounds good. see ya'll in a bit!

ShelterLeopard
02-09-2010, 14:07
True Kanga! It doesn't have that full bodied baconess to it...

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 14:32
but the bacon is not cooked in the grease, which takes away from it's bacon-ness..
the grease drains out so slowly, that it in fact does cook in its own grease. and i never said anything about throwing the grease out. candles,fried chicken,eggs in the morning, great for greens! what else?

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 14:47
i carrry the precooked bacon when i'm hiking
i like to put it on bread and use the mustard paks and i eat my spam the same way.

CrumbSnatcher
02-09-2010, 14:48
we haven't gave up on frying the bacon just something new we tried:D
you prefer gas or charcoal when you cook your steak? skillet maybe?

kanga
02-10-2010, 09:13
it was a joke crumb.

CrumbSnatcher
02-10-2010, 09:16
it was a joke crumb.
i know:D its :cool:!

KnittingMelissa
02-12-2010, 16:49

Step 1: cook glorious, glorious bacon

Step 2: make cornbread with glorious, glorious bacon grease in the same pan

Step 3: Enjoy! :banana

It really does work wonders and taste delicious.

Hikes in Rain
02-12-2010, 18:08
i'm 42 years and and phat (sorry) i mean't fat i've ate my fair share of bacon and then some. i know when bacon taste good. i love burgers and steaks too and you can cook them more than 1 way also! i've ate more bacon by accident than most people ever have on purpose:D

OK, I gotta ask. How in the world do you eat bacon by accident. (I somehow feel I just set myself up as a straight man)

Hikes in Rain
02-12-2010, 18:18
the grease drains out so slowly, that it in fact does cook in its own grease. and i never said anything about throwing the grease out. candles,fried chicken,eggs in the morning, great for green beans! what else?

Someone else made bacon fat candles? I was shocked to find they actually work great. I was frying bacon one morning, brain in neutral, and idly wondering what you could do with that wonderful fat, since we don't eat it all that much any more. For some reason, I remember my dad telling me about dipping tallow candles when he was a kid in rural Texas. Tallow is beef fat, bacon fat might work well, too. Found some thick cotton string, one of my wife's good shallow bowls, and made a candle. Stuck it in the fridge to harden.

She wandered in the kitchen, opened the refridgerator, got whatever it was she was looking for, and said "what the %##$ is in the fridge this time?" That may give you some insight on our long wonderful life together. :sun

Lit it up, expecting a yellow smoky smelly bad kind of light. Instead, white light (a lot of it), no smoke and no smell. My dad gave me some insight on the white light, when I told him about it. He remembered they used to put salt in the tallow to make the light whiter and brighter; as he got his chemistry degree, he realized it was the sodium in the salt that did it.

Nothing would have it but when he next visited me, we had to repeat the experiment (minus the good dish!) just to see.

CrumbSnatcher
02-12-2010, 19:58
OK, I gotta ask. How in the world do you eat bacon by accident. (I somehow feel I just set myself up as a straight man)
its just a joke
like saying i've hiked more miles by accident than you ever will on purpose!
or at work alot of the brick layers i work with might say they laid more brick/block by accident than i will ever on purpose! just a dumb joke! don't pay any attention to my dumbass

Hikes in Rain
02-12-2010, 20:49
Oh. Now I really feel dumb. I thought I was missing some hidden bacon food! Seriously. :o

lilricky
02-12-2010, 23:22
Lit it up, expecting a yellow smoky smelly bad kind of light. Instead, white light (a lot of it), no smoke and no smell. My dad gave me some insight on the white light, when I told him about it. He remembered they used to put salt in the tallow to make the light whiter and brighter; as he got his chemistry degree, he realized it was the sodium in the salt that did it.

Nothing would have it but when he next visited me, we had to repeat the experiment (minus the good dish!) just to see.

What? No smell?? But would be the best part of a bacon candle.... sniffle.. :(

Hikes in Rain
02-13-2010, 09:17
I was expecting a burned bacon smell, which isn't all that pleasant. I've fixed bacon flambe on a campfire often enough to know. But no, no smell, no smoke. If it was breezy, though, that might have changed.

MuffinMan11
02-22-2010, 12:00
For those alternative meat bacon eaters.