PDA

View Full Version : What ya'll think bout all this Horse Dookie on the trail?

Chaco Taco
06-01-2008, 09:50
Harse Dookie. What yall think bout it?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 09:52
I think people need to diaper those darn horses :D. Seriously, it is a pain - smells nasty when fresh and looks unsightly when not fresh.

Johnny Thunder
06-01-2008, 09:56
Wrong, Dino....

The correct answer is "I took some pictures...I'm going to go home and raise some Hell."

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2008, 10:10
Dear Mr. Thunder:

I respectfully submit that it you are wrong. I've heard it said you you can be the north end of a SOBO horse. Perhaps this explains your acceptance of this problem.

Sincerely,
Frolicking She-Dino :D

generoll
06-01-2008, 11:27
kind of depends on where you found it. remember, in some areas we share the trail with other users. one of the summer ATC work programs in the Smokies is specifically geared to equestrian users so unless you are finding it in areas where horses are prohibited I'd suggest you just step over horse dookie just like you presumably step over bear dookie or hog dookie or any other kind of dookie.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 11:28

don't bother me none

Footslogger
06-01-2008, 11:30
I didn't like it much when I first encountered it in the Smokies during my 2003 thru. Between the horse bisquits and the black gumbo mud it was virtually impossible to stay on trail and not get ankle deep in it.

But later that night I got to a shelter and the horse group was there. Turns out they were a trail maintenance crew. They had fresh sausage, onions and peppers going in a frying pan on an open fire and readily shared the concoction with me.

Changed my attitude somewhat toward the whole horse pucky thing ...

'Slogger

MOWGLI
06-01-2008, 11:39

Tastes better than bacon. Contains more fiber too.

rafe
06-01-2008, 11:46

Way, way down on the annoyance list. Hardly even registers.

minnesotasmith
06-01-2008, 12:16

In areas (GSNP) where horses are allowed, there should be a person on foot behind the last horse, picking up whatever the horses have dropped and flinging it into the woods. Where horses are not allowed, then the same penalties as trespassing ATV riders get would make sense (3-digit fines at least, confiscation for repeat offenders/egregious cases). In both cases, people are intentionally bringing prohibited means of transportation into an off-limits area.

Old Hillwalker
06-01-2008, 12:21
Whoops - private forum 2008 thrus

dmax
06-01-2008, 12:24
I'd like to see all the ponies in Grayson Highlands State Park where diapers. Wouldn't that be a sight!

A-Train
06-01-2008, 14:28
If horse poop on the AT bothers you, don't ever, ever hike on the PCT.

MOWGLI
06-01-2008, 14:33
If horse poop on the AT bothers you, don't ever, ever hike on the PCT.

I have a horseshoe I found in Donahue Pass hanging up in my office. I carried it for 12 days on the JMT. Great souvineer

CrumbSnatcher
06-01-2008, 14:36
I have a horseshoe I found in Donahue Pass hanging up in my office. I carried it for 12 days on the JMT. Great souvineer
unless your that horse.

MOWGLI
06-01-2008, 14:50
unless your that horse.

That horse was probably an ass anyway. ;)

CrumbSnatcher
06-01-2008, 14:55
That horse was probably an ass anyway. ;)
MOWGLI, your confusing me. are you talking about a 2 or 4 legged ass's?:-?:)

kayak karl
06-01-2008, 15:09
Pick it up and take it with u.
Using horse manure as a fuel in a stove
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/horse-manure-fuel.html
i think ill need a conversion kit for my cat can stove:-?

middle to middle
06-01-2008, 15:41
At least the horses don't do it on rocks like racoons.

Marta
06-01-2008, 15:47
Not a problem for me. If you do happen to step in it, it won't really stink up your shoe the way the poop of carnivores does. This time of year, it collects butterflies, too. I love to watch a herd of butterflies jostling each other for position on a nice, big pile.

Jan LiteShoe
06-01-2008, 16:06

Ditto that.

Now, stepping in DOG poop, that gets to me.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 16:20
NO dogs on the trail or in shelters

4eyedbuzzard
06-01-2008, 16:36

Here we go again... ;) :D

cowboy nichols
06-01-2008, 16:36
the human crap &toilet paper bothers me a lot more

sheepdog
06-01-2008, 16:43
Lots more Moose Dooky on the trail up heah. Gotta watch that Mouse Dooky in sheltas tho cause ya kin catch sumpin from it eye hears.

Lotsa peeps cumplain about dog dooky on the trail. But iffin it's got lots of grey hairs innit and very black it's probly Coyote dooky. Or else somebuddy is feedin their pup mice. Coys like to poop right in da middle of da footway to advertize their property line. Inna winter it's almost so full of mice bones that it's nearly white.

Nuff said!
Sounds like you have a dookie PHD. Piled higher and deeper. :D

gungho
06-01-2008, 17:59

Now Now, We wouldn.t want to get banned again:D

The horse crap doesn't bother me as much as the destruction the horses can do the trail ,IMO:-?

Blue Jay
06-01-2008, 18:37
In areas (GSNP) where horses are allowed, there should be a person on foot behind the last horse, picking up whatever the horses have dropped and flinging it into the woods.

I am very serious about this. I strongly believe this is the job that you were born to do.

Appalachian Tater
06-01-2008, 18:57
There's more "dookie" on this website than on the trail.

In general, my philosophy is "Less dookie, more cookie."

Belew
06-01-2008, 19:10
if dry it's good for throwing at folks or a screwed up home run derby. if wet it sucks

mudhead
06-01-2008, 19:19
I am very serious about this. I strongly believe this is the job that you were born to do.

Now, now. Let's keep him in his lab. Maybe he can get those microbes fertilized and cranking natural gas.

I prefer the smell of doo over petrochemicals. Probably would rather step in doo, too.

Bafefoot and people doo? Once was enough.

WalkingStick75
06-01-2008, 19:32
Of all the poop I walked over or through (Bear, Dear, raccoon whatever including the two legged AH type in GSNP where they don't believe in out houses) horse poop is the least encountered, dries up quickly and is mostly grass type substance when dry.

I'm with LW, don't bother me if the horses are where they are supposed to be.

kanga
06-02-2008, 13:56

I just fell out of my chair

kanga
06-02-2008, 13:58
Dear Mr. Thunder:

I respectfully submit that it you are wrong. I've heard it said you you can be the north end of a SOBO horse. Perhaps this explains your acceptance of this problem.

Sincerely,
Frolicking She-Dino :D

That thar is fun-nee!

kanga
06-02-2008, 14:00

and chaco, quit talkin' ****!

Lone Wolf
06-02-2008, 14:01
I just fell out of my chair

i'm FOS huh? :)

kanga
06-02-2008, 14:07
i'm FOS huh? :)

stop! my stomach hurts! :D

Blissful
06-02-2008, 14:16
The mule dung at Grand Canyon is much worse. Dried dung all over you...esp if there's a wind...

kanga
06-02-2008, 14:19
The mule dung at Grand Canyon is much worse. Dried dung all over you...esp if there's a wind...

yuck. never been there, so i'm curious - aside from the wind, how does it get all over you?

DesertMTB
06-02-2008, 14:39
If you ever hike into the Grand Canyon you will see what i mean. The mule trains leave giant pools of stinking mule pee. Now that stuff is gross. For some reason the mules like to pee in the same place, so it really pools up.

jersey joe
06-02-2008, 14:44
Agreed...a minor inconvenience.

mudhead
06-02-2008, 17:01
If you ever hike into the Grand Canyon you will see what i mean. The mule trains leave giant pools of stinking mule pee. Now that stuff is gross. For some reason the mules like to pee in the same place, so it really pools up.

Busch Light, on tap.

superman
06-02-2008, 17:56
When I was at The Home Place, I went over to that general store. There were two locals in there venting about how the govmint had lied to them. According to them the AT, land in that stretch was gotten by promising that they could ride their horses on it but the ranger was keeping them off it.
I don't give the horse poo a second thought. When I was a kid, we used to set our baseball field in the cow pasture. Some times the stick would knock the tape ball up so we'd substitute a dried horse poo. Sliding onto a base had a whole different meaning back then.
:)

Dances with Mice
06-02-2008, 18:18
In areas (GSNP) where horses are allowed, there should be a person on foot behind the last horse, picking up whatever the horses have dropped and flinging it into the woods. .... Kinda reminds me of my career in the Circus when I followed the elephant act with a shovel and wheelbarrow. The pay wasn't much and there were no benefits and it wasn't glamorous but HEY! I WAS IN SHOWBIZ!

Pete Moss
06-02-2008, 18:42
Nothing like a good road apple fight when things get slow mid-day on a hike

generoll
06-02-2008, 21:05
Hey Dances, was that where you picked up juggling?

seaside
06-02-2008, 21:08
I think you ort to go home, and write to somebody and complain about it.

seaside
06-02-2008, 21:13
I'd like to see all the ponies in Grayson Highlands State Park where diapers. Wouldn't that be a sight!
Yeah, now that's what I'm atalkin' bout. Put a big pad on them, with a pocket to it. And, have a horse dump along trail. But, you better complain and raise some hell!!!

seaside
06-02-2008, 21:19
Of all the poop I walked over or through (Bear, Dear, raccoon whatever including the two legged AH type in GSNP where they don't believe in out houses) horse poop is the least encountered, dries up quickly and is mostly grass type substance when dry.

I'm with LW, don't bother me if the horses are where they are supposed to be.

Now, a big mess has been stirred up here. Sounds like a real group of P(piled)H(high)&D's(deep). Ya'll sounds like real authorities on this harse dookie thing.

beeman
06-02-2008, 21:33
Lots more Moose Dooky on the trail up heah. Gotta watch that Mouse Dooky in sheltas tho cause ya kin catch sumpin from it eye hears.

Lotsa peeps cumplain about dog dooky on the trail. But iffin it's got lots of grey hairs innit and very black it's probly Coyote dooky. Or else somebuddy is feedin their pup mice. Coys like to poop right in da middle of da footway to advertize their property line. Inna winter it's almost so full of mice bones that it's nearly white.

Nuff said!

OK than the reply to that was:

So I guess he has one of these on his 'I love me ' wall:

COLLEGE OF CONGRATULATORY COMMENDATIONS

ANCIENT AMALGAMATION OF “DOCTORS OF DOOKIE”

“The Men That Make The Most Of Them” do solemnly, sanctimoniously,

Simultaneously, and with utmost unanimity, - but without profanity -

proclaim a pronouncement:

WHEREAS HE HAS INDICATED ACUTE ABILITY, ARTICULATE APTITUDE, AROUSED

APPRECIATION, DILIGENT DEVOTION, FACILE FINESS, FAITHFUL FERVER AND A

GLORIOUS GRASP OF THE SUBJECT OF

critter DOOKIE

AND WHEREAS HE HAS DEMONSTRATED INTENSE INTEREST, INATE

INSIGHT, INCOMPARABLE INSPIRATION, MAGNIFICENT MASTERY, PEERLESS

PERCEPTION, SALIENT SKILL, UNEXCELLED UNDERSTANDING AND A NATURAL

KNACK FOR

describing DOOKIE

AND WHEREAS HE HAS ENTERED ENERGETICALLY AND EARNESTLY INTO AN

ENORMOUS EFFORT EMBLEMATIC OF EXTRAORDINARY EXHUBERANCE AND EFFICIENCY,

AND HAS EMERGED EMINENTLY ENLIGHTENED AND ENVIABLY ESTEEMED, WE

EAGERLY EXTEND THIS ENCOMPASSING EVALUATION OF SAID EXCEEDINGLY EXHAULTED

EXPERT FOR HIS EPIC ENCOUNTER. IN ESSENCE, HE HAS EASILY EARNED THIS

ENDURING ENDORSEMENT OF ELABORATE AND UNEMBELLISHED ELEGANCE. AS AN

EMPHATIC EXPRESSION OF HIS ELIGIBILITY, HE IS HEREBY EMPOWERED TO

EXHIBIT TO EVERYONE THIS EXCLUSIVE EVIDENCE OF THE EXTENT OF HIS EXACTITUDE.

THEREFORE: HILLWALKER

Is hereby appointed:

“DOCTOR OF DOOKIE”

With all the rights and privileges attendant thereto, whatever they

may be.

Dated in Dallas, Texas this

23nd day of June 2008

(Gold Notary Seal to be affixed)

The Old Fhart
06-02-2008, 21:43
In real northern NH, it's pomme de route.:p

senache
06-02-2008, 21:48
I'm more concerned about trail erosion - I saw in on the PCT and if it's on the AT, it shouldn't be. We'll have trenches worse than we have now.

Dances with Mice
06-03-2008, 06:15
Hey Dances, was that where you picked up juggling?No, I stayed with the wheelbarrow and shovel. Got more respect.

JAK
06-03-2008, 10:24
I think horse trails and bike trails are a wonderful thing. Not all trails should be horse trails and bike trails, some trails should just be footpaths, but I think along the entire length of the AT, even if it was developed into more of a network, there are bound to be certain sections that should allow more than just feet. The important thing is for people to encourage all forms of sustainable travel and recreation, and expand sustainable trail networks and hopefully someday integrate them into our everyday lives.

As for horse manure. Love it. One less ATV on the planet.

vonfrick
06-03-2008, 10:37

i always thought that meant "pretty heavy drinker" :-?

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 10:38
POOOOP!!!!!!:mad:

ki0eh
06-03-2008, 11:06
How is a horse more sustainable than an ATV? I'm not following.

By way of comparison: It takes bigger vehicles to haul a horse to a trailhead than it does an ATV. Horses require carbon input and emit carbon output all the time vs. an ATV that only does it when in use. Horses cause different trail impacts than ATV's and can actually create more erosive runoff impairing natural waterways, depending on conditions. Horse dookie is more likely to spread invasive vegetation than mud sticking to an ATV tire. Since horses themselves require so much maintenance, horse riders naturally have less opportunity to maintain trails than hikers do - but ATV riders seem to be pretty ready with the chain saw.

In PA conditions, I'll take a slow moving ATV over a horse on my trail any day. :D

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:24

By way of comparison: It takes bigger vehicles to haul a horse to a trailhead than it does an ATV. Horses require carbon input and emit carbon output all the time vs. an ATV that only does it when in use. Horses cause different trail impacts than ATV's and can actually create more erosive runoff impairing natural waterways, depending on conditions. Horse dookie is more likely to spread invasive vegetation than mud sticking to an ATV tire. Since horses themselves require so much maintenance, horse riders naturally have less opportunity to maintain trails than hikers do - but ATV riders seem to be pretty ready with the chain saw.

In PA conditions, I'll take a slow moving ATV over a horse on my trail any day. :D

Great, you just busted open a myth that has sustained longer than the cow flatulence story. You write for The Times?????:p

ki0eh
06-03-2008, 11:39
Uh oh, my allergy pills are a poor substitute for undrinkium...

Mags
06-03-2008, 11:41
Hhorse riders naturally have less opportunity to maintain trails than hikers do - but ATV riders seem to be pretty ready with the chain saw.

At least in Colorado, most of the tools and other equipment for trail work are brought in by horse.

This weekend will be interesting. Horses are bringing in the tools. Hikers and mtn bikers are working on a portion of the Colorado Trail together.

ki0eh
06-03-2008, 11:49
I did resort to llama packing materials for footpath work once in northern PA. Alas the llamas did better than my efforts at communicating with their handler.

What works best and lives best with each other varies so much by locality that efforts to project or overgeneralize ultimately fail. It's best to try to find ways to live in peace and to remember those ways might be different in each spot. I rarely envy land managers who need to figure all that out.

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:53
Vonfrick killed a few llamas so she could have really cool socks.

vonfrick
06-03-2008, 11:56
Vonfrick killed a few llamas so she could have really cool socks.

:-? hmmmm...warraghy socks

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:58
:-? hmmmm...warraghy socks

I'll warm your feet Baaaaaaby!!!!!!!
Need any unnerpants??????

Jan LiteShoe
06-03-2008, 15:12
In real northern NH, it's pomme de route.:p

That's so much more romantic.
:D

JAK
06-03-2008, 15:37

In PA conditions, I'll take a slow moving ATV over a horse on my trail any day. :DA horse also indicates room for at least one less redneck on the planet.

kanga
06-03-2008, 15:40
A horse also indicates room for at least one less redneck on the planet.

huh? i am confused. that's more than 6 characters...

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 15:43

i bet you don't know what a "redneck" is

JAK
06-03-2008, 15:47
Oops. Not exactly sure how grammatically correct that was. Ah well.

Just saying.
There is something gained in having a balance between humans and other creatures.
Not saying we should get rid of humans, or how exactly we should limit out population.

Considering the qualitative advantages of creatures over machines is a good start.

To be honest I really don't know that much about rednecks. Excuse my ignorance.
They shoot horses don't they?

Probably should have used a different term. Canuck maybe.

kanga
06-03-2008, 15:51
Oops. Not exactly sure how grammatically correct that was. Ah well.

Just saying.
There is something gained in having a balance between humans and other creatures.
Not saying we should get rid of humans, or how exactly we should limit out population.

Considering the qualitative advantages of creatures over machines is a good start.

To be honest I really don't know that much about rednecks. Excuse my ignorance.
They shoot horses don't they?

Probably should have used a different term. Canuck maybe.

and the sound of hiking rednecks collectively unloading their shotguns echoes through the land....

JAK
06-03-2008, 15:58
Just hand me that pick and shovel.
I'm sure I can get this a little deeper.

Uncle B
06-03-2008, 16:15

i bet you don't know what a "redneck" is

I believe the term was first used when unionized coal miners in VA or WVA wore red bandannas wrapped around their necks for identification purposes. They were very proud of the term. If I'm not mistaken they had a fierce battle on some mountain (not sure which one) against hired guns that were trying to keep out the union in the sourthern part of the state (the battle was shortlived - maybe a few days or so). Anyway I may not have the facts entirely correct but this is the gist of the origin. There may be other origins as well...

mudhead
06-03-2008, 19:23
Heck, I thought it was a farmer's tan.

Or a woman who does not remove the Marlboro from between her lips, while she tells the State Trooper to kiss her a&&.

JAK
06-04-2008, 07:57
redneck = white rural working class radical, typically of scots-irish descent or sentiment
redneck ~ covenanter

often stereotyped as uneducated, anti-environmental, and/or racist these traits are more likely to be unfairly associated with rednecks by the establishment in order to legitimize the ongoing disenfranchisement, marginalization, and impoverishment of this fiercely independant and often militant conglomeration of free thinking and freedom loving people. Parallels are found in other regions and throughout history, not limited to people of similar scots-irish origin.

Dances with Mice
06-04-2008, 08:18
...legitimize the ongoing disenfranchisement, marginalization, and impoverishment of this fiercely independant and often militant conglomeration ....

A polysyllabic definition for 'redneck' would be wrong on several levels.

Randy Newman always says everything best:

“We talk real funny down here. / We drink too much and we laugh too loud. / We’re too dumb to make it in no Northern town. / The last verse and chorus won't pass the censor no how."

seaside
06-04-2008, 10:02
A polysyllabic definition for 'redneck' would be wrong on several levels.

Randy Newman always says everything best:

“We talk real funny down here. / We drink too much and we laugh too loud. / We’re too dumb to make it in no Northern town. / The last verse and chorus won't pass the censor no how."

Yeah, and we are perceived to wear no shoes, and to be dumb.

Well, I have many a Northerner that has told me that we were also dumb as a fox.

warraghiyagey
06-04-2008, 10:06
Well, I have many a Northerner that has told me that we were also dumb as a fox.
Umm . . . I think they may have said dumb as a box.:):p

kanga
06-04-2008, 12:08
Author Jim Goad wrote a book titled The Redneck Manifesto that explores some of the socioeconomic history of this word and the people it is leveled at.
http://bsornot.whipnet.net/images/redneck/redneck.manifesto.jpg Scotland
The word redneck is first cited in Scotland, where it referred to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, otherwise known as Covenanters - largely lowland Presbyterians.
The Covenanters in the mid 1600's signed documents that stated Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church. To signify their desire, many Covenanters signed the documents in their own blood, would spill their blood to keep this from happening and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia - hence the term Redneck.
These Scottish Presbyterians migrated from their lowland Scottish home to Ulster (the northern province of Ireland) during the 17th Century and soon settled in considerable numbers in North America across the 18th Century. One etymological theory holds that since many Scotch-Irish who settled in what would become the South were Presbyterian, the term was bestowed upon them and their descendants.
Related terms
South Africa
In South Africa, the Afrikaans term rooinek (meaning "redneck") was derisively applied by Afrikaners to the British soldiers who fought during the Boer Wars, because their skin was sensitive to the harsh African sun. The phrase is still used by Afrikaners to describe English-speaking white people.
Ironically, the term "redneck" is also used by the English to describe very conservative Afrikaners because of that group's historic support of apartheid, a system of white, minority power and privilege and black and "coloured" exploitation and disenfranchisement, possibly by analogy to the American usage described above.

Barbados
"Poor whites" in Barbados (descendants largely of seventeenth century English, Scottish, and Irish indentured servants and deportees) were called Red Legs. Many of these families moved to Virginia and the Carolinas as large sugar plantations replaced small tobacco farming.
Crackers
The epithet cracker has been applied in a derogatory way, like redneck, to rural, non-elite white southerners, more specifically to those of south Georgia and north Florida. Folk etymology claims the term originated either from their cracking, or pounding, of corn (rather than taking it to mill), or from their use of whips to drive cattle. The latter explanation makes sense, because in piney-woods Georgia and Florida pastoral yeomen did use bullwhips with "cracker" tips to herd cattle.

The true history of the name, however, is more involved and shows a shift in application over time. Linguists now believe the original root to be the Gaelic craic, still used in Ireland (anglicized in spelling to crack) for "entertaining conversation." The English meaning of cracker as a braggart appears by Elizabethan times, as, for example, in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this . . . that deafes our ears / With this abundance of superfluous breath?"
http://bsornot.whipnet.net/images/redneck/horseback.cracker.jpg
By the 1760s the English, both at home and in colonial America, were applying the term to Scots-Irish settlers of the southern backcountry, as in this passage from a letter to the earl of Dartmouth: "I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by Crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas, and Georgia, who often change their places of abode." The word then came to be associated with the cowboys of Georgia and Florida, many of them descendants of those early frontiersmen.
Among African Americans cracker became a contemptuous term for a white southerner; among some southern whites it has become a label of ethnic and regional pride, boosted by the election of south Georgian Jimmy Carter to the presidency in 1976. This led to the coining of the word crackertude as a not entirely serious answer to negritude.

sources: georgiaencyclopediac.com
wikipedia.en.org

Old Hillwalker
06-04-2008, 12:42
Kanga, nice job of illuminating the term. Some of the history is well known by me.

My ancesters were "emigrated" from Scotland to Ireland in 1620 as part of the British "Great experiment at Ulster" in an attempt to diffuse the "Irish". In 1720 their descendants emigrated to Wells and Kennebunk, Maine where descendants of the Kilpatrick/Gilpatricks remain today. As a side note, when the family was landed from ship to shore by small boat, the boat overturned and all the girl children of the family drowned. Hell of a way to start a new life in Ameriky. Since I'm descended from real Rednecks, I guess that could make me one. Cool with that. Thanks.

d'shadow
06-04-2008, 13:00
Yeah, and we are perceived to wear no shoes, and to be dumb.

There are "rednecks" in New England. When I lived in Vermont, they were called "chipmunks." The common jokes apply up there too.

Chaco Taco
06-04-2008, 14:54
There are "rednecks" in New England. When I lived in Vermont, they were called "chipmunks." The common jokes apply up there too.

Lonewolf is a Yankee redneck reshuffled into Virginia.

Lonewolf for mayor!:)

warraghiyagey
06-04-2008, 14:55
In upstate NY they're (we're) referred to as 'woodchucks.'

mudhead
06-04-2008, 18:03
Around here it's "local."

ki0eh
06-04-2008, 20:20
In upstate NY they're (we're) referred to as 'woodchucks.'

I had actually forgotten that, thanks! (Nearly 12 years away by now, wow...)

I'm not sure yet what the proper PA term is, perhaps there's more than one.

In the immediate Harrisburg area such folks are often called "Perry Countians" whether or not they actually live in the county without a traffic light whose tallest building might actually be the Doyle.

To the east and southeast of Hbg they might be called "Dutchy" - perhaps a modern day contraction of how Earl Shaffer describes a fellow in this locale on page 90 of Walking with Spring (1995 ATC-published edition).

Erin
06-04-2008, 21:26
We share trails with horses here.Dookie no big deal. But just like everywhere else you find responsibe and not so responsible riders. The riders that toss their beer cans off the saddle for us to pack out...not so nice.

Johnny Thunder
06-05-2008, 09:20
Next Question: "Why you fella's doin' South-Bound sections heading North?"

Answer: "Even when it is a dry county there's always beer in the car."

The Old Fhart
06-05-2008, 10:01
d'shadow-"There are "rednecks" in New England."...sometimes called 'swamp yankees', who someone once described as: "a rural dweller--one of stubborn, old-fashioned, frugal, English-speaking Yankee stock, of good standing in the rural community, but usually possessing minimal formal education and little desire to augment it."

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 10:03
...sometimes called 'swamp yankees', who someone once described as: "a rural dweller--one of stubborn, old-fashioned, frugal, English-speaking Yankee stock, of good standing in the rural community, but usually possessing minimal formal education and little desire to augment it."

you have to be from R.I., eastern CT., or SE Mass. to be a swamper

mudhead
06-05-2008, 11:16
...sometimes called 'swamp yankees', who someone once described as: "a rural dweller--one of stubborn, old-fashioned, frugal, English-speaking Yankee stock, of good standing in the rural community, but usually possessing minimal formal education and little desire to augment it."

This is a compliment.

As opposed to "damn fool."