PDA

View Full Version : What do you do/see when you visit DC?

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 10:30
Have a day/night to spend in DC on the way to Harpers Ferry. Anybody got any favorite things to do/see? Will be staying around the mall/old Post Office.

Sidewinder
06-01-2008, 10:45
I was in DC about three weeks ago, I suggest you take the "Tour Mobile" it takes you to all the monuments and museums, great tour. My favorite stops, Air and Space, Lincoln, Vietnam, WWII, Washington Jefferson monuments. Arlington Cemetery tour if you have time.

Appalachian Tater
06-01-2008, 11:59
There are also a lot of smaller and specialty museums in the District, so if you have a special interest such as architecture, postal service, African or Russian art, the Holocaust, or pre-Columbian art, they might be more manageable and meaningful in your limited amount of time than the bigger museums. There are other smaller museums like the Phillips Collection and the Corcoran. If you choose to go to bigger museums, plan what you want to see, such as the large Matisses at the National Gallery. On the weekends some of the museums may be crowded.

If you have never been there before, you certainly want to walk along the Mall and experience the city itself, the relation between the streets and major buildings and monuments, buzz up a few avenues and around a few traffic circles, maybe at night--do a little research on Pierre L'Enfant and the planning of D.C. The subway is efficient and there are busses but walking is the best method of getting around in the main tourist areas.

Georgetown is also nice and you can see the beginning of the canal and eat, but it is very touristy even for a touristy town.

If you go over to Arlington, don't miss Robert E. Lee's house. Going up to the zoo and cathedral is also nice, and there is also the arboretum, but it may be too out of the way unless you are really interested in that.

Grumpy Ol' Pops
06-01-2008, 12:21
If you have never been there before, see the Vietnam Memorial, Korean War Memorial, and the Museum of American History. These ar all located along the Mall and are accessible by the Washington Metro (subway) to the Mall station. At night, you might want to take a walk by the Senate building.

max patch
06-01-2008, 12:37
Typical touristy stuff during the day; Irelands Own (I think that was the name -- 20 years ago) pub at night in Gtown.

superman
06-01-2008, 13:40
Whenever I pass by DC, I make a quick visit to the Vietnam Veteran Memorial, the 1st Infantry Division Memorial and ArlingtonNationalCemetery.

rhjanes
06-01-2008, 14:09
We lived there for four years....and never saw it all....Focus on what YOU like. Paintings and the arts? See the Galleries. Architechture? See Mount Vernon (not far south), or Gunston Hall, Pohick Church. Like history? History museum. Air and Space? the two buildings (one out at Dullas).

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 14:55
I guess what I was asking for was that favorite/unexpected treat. We were wandering around (lost?........... hold your fire I had a map ) just looking at things and came across " The Jewish American Muesum of (some military history). Kinda neat. Was just wondreing if anybody had some place like that.

Earl Grey
06-01-2008, 16:52
I did the exact same thing last year. I went to a Nationals baseball game, then at night I walked around the Mall. It wasnt hot and there wasnt a lot of people.

daibutsu
06-01-2008, 17:03
One half block South of 12th and Pennsylvania Ave. Right across from the Metro station, all about two blocks away from the Old Post Office is a bike rental place. It appears you're not really there for a long time at all. Maybe a brief bicycling overview, and poping in to things that interest you, is the ticket.

daibutsu
06-01-2008, 17:07
Can't edit....Locks, waterbottle, helmet all come with the bike.

teachergal
06-01-2008, 18:16
The monuments at night is pretty cool, esp FDR. Be sure to bring a water bottle - summer in DC is very humid and at night there is nothing open and no water fountatins (yes, this is the voice of experience!)

There's a cool statue of Einstien down by the Lincoln Memorial.

Also, I believe the American History Museum is closed for renovations.

The Smithsonian Metro stop will bring you to the heart of the mall.

max patch
06-01-2008, 18:27
I stumbled across a mircobrewery that sold small glasses that allowed you to sample several different brews.

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 18:53
I stumbled across a mircobrewery that sold small glasses that allowed you to sample several different brews.

Where? Nice place? Anywhere between Dupont Circle and the Mall? We may be walking up that way ( 17th and R ) for dinner.

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 18:54
One half block South of 12th and Pennsylvania Ave. Right across from the Metro station, all about two blocks away from the Old Post Office is a bike rental place. It appears you're not really there for a long time at all. Maybe a brief bicycling overview, and poping in to things that interest you, is the ticket.

Had not thought of bikes. Thanks. It would be a way to see more.

baddog
06-01-2008, 19:12
If you have transportation go down to Quantico and visit the National Museum Of The Marine Corps. It's a fantastic place like no other. Aside from that try to get to the weekly Friday evening demonstration of the silent drill team at Washington's Marine Corps Headquaters at 8th & I street N.E.

The Weasel
06-01-2008, 19:13
See two things that will move you more than you've ever been moved, deep into your soul. First, the Wall. Then, when your eyes dry, the Holocaust Museum. Then, when you've finished there, go a block and just sit on the Mall and celebrate the lives you see before you.

TW

saimyoji
06-01-2008, 19:22
ww2 memorial, the arboretum

KG4FAM
06-01-2008, 19:31
At night, you might want to take a walk by the Senate building.In the Hart Senate office building there is a great Alexander Calder sculpture called Mountains and Clouds. I did an internship up there and got see it twice a day coming and going to work.

daibutsu
06-01-2008, 19:33
To really compress your day, and this is a rare secret and hugely popular route I do, with easy modification for you is: Rent the bikes at 12th and Penn. (supra.) Head immediately East to White House, you're already on Pennsylvania Ave anyhow. From there go south pretty much at Washington Monument. Head right, (West,) Lincoln and Vietnam Monument, Korean War, Nurses... WWII. Head back East across Mall You'll see Jefferson Monument, Tidal Basin, etc. on your right. Keep going up to the Capitol then along to Eastern Market area. You'll se the Lib of Congress, the House Offices, etc. Follow signs, real easy. ( this is all inside of maybe 1.5 -2 miles... Go to 8th St. Lots of new nice restaurants. Marine Barracks area. Head due South to Navy Yard. No gate there, but two blocks to your right ( back West) there is. You'll have to show ID and wear your helmet to ride in. Go to Navy museum across the lot is USS Barry WWII (about) ship. This museum is FANTASTIC, free, and so is the USS Barry. Don't tell anyone.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 19:34
14th street hookers

le loupe
06-01-2008, 19:54
monuments are all very cool-

the Korean war memorial is my favorite.

can't forget lincoln either...

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 20:03
monuments are all very cool-

the Korean war memorial is my favorite.

can't forget lincoln either...

Iwo Jima memorial blows the Korean one away. my opinion only

max patch
06-01-2008, 20:40
Where? Nice place? Anywhere between Dupont Circle and the Mall? We may be walking up that way ( 17th and R ) for dinner.

http://www.capcitybrew.com/downtown.html

DBT fan
06-02-2008, 00:12
The Lincoln Memorial is a must see. The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is mighty cool. All of the museums & monuments are free. Our tax dollars at work, folks.

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 00:50
Natural History and Air and Space are my favorite museums. Used to hang at Garretts Railroad Restaurant (30th and M street) - we all called it Garretts Pub - when my wife(then fiancee) worked on Cap Hill. Vietnam Georgetown (29th and M street) had good Asian food. The National Zoo(Connecticut Ave.) is a good 1/2 day trip and in the same area - just north of it - you can take a horseback ride in Rock Creek Park http://www.rockcreekhorsecenter.com/trail_rides.htm
Lots of good ethnic retaurants up by the zoo/Woodley Park area - pretty much any nationality you can think of.

Newb
06-02-2008, 07:48
I live here. If you've never been then you have to do the "Mall Crawl" and walk from the Capitol down to the Roosevelt memorial and back.

One thing not to miss is the Butterfly exhibit. It's awesome. OH, and have lunch at the Reagan building.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-02-2008, 07:49
The Postal Museum is across the street from Union Station, airplanes, railway cars, guns, a gazillion bucks worth of rare stamps a really interesting place that doesn't get the attention it deserves. I've lived a metro ride from DC for 30 years and while you never see it all this one was cool.
National gallery of art is very very good thanks to loans and donations from the Mellon Family. The Viet-Nam (the wall) will break your heart. The Newseum has opened just recently and is not funded by your tax dollars so there's a charge, same for the spy museum. The Phillips Art collection (Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party) also charges, but that's pretty much it, the rest are free.

Millie and Al's on 18th below Columbia Road in Adams Morgan is the perennial winner of the Sleaziest Dive/best cheap eats in DC. Chinese restaurants in DC and the surrounding area are absolutely first rate, (thank Nixon and Kissinger) the first team chefs came over in the 70's and stayed.
Have fun

D'Artagnan
06-02-2008, 11:06
See two things that will move you more than you've ever been moved, deep into your soul. First, the Wall. Then, when your eyes dry, the Holocaust Museum. Then, when you've finished there, go a block and just sit on the Mall and celebrate the lives you see before you.

TW

Totally agree. I visited both shortly after their respective openings and will never forget their impact. I need to get back and see the WWII Memorial, too. It's been a few years since I was there.

jesse
06-02-2008, 11:26
I think the American History, and Natural History museums suck. My favorites are, Air and Space, And the National Art Museum.

Gray Blazer
06-02-2008, 11:45
and poping in to things that interest you, is the ticket.
Should they take the pope-mobile?

Check the basements of some of the govt bldgs. All kinds of museums, aquariums, cafeterias, govt types, etc..
The coolest thing to do was to walk down the Washington Monument, but they won't let you any more.

DCHiker
06-02-2008, 12:33
I'd recommend Tabaq on U Street for dinner. Request a table on the roof deck over looking the city.
The building museum is beautiful. If you have a car, check out the national arboretum off of New York Ave, NE

My personal favorite is the Brickskeller over by Dupont Circle... they have 1000+ bottled beers from around the world

Lone Wolf
06-02-2008, 12:34
they got Busch Light?

mudhead
06-02-2008, 12:38
they got Busch Light?

They would for you.

Kirby
06-02-2008, 14:41
You can see the mightly Congress in action, which is the most efficient legislative body created by man.

Kirby

Odd Thomas
06-02-2008, 14:43
Have a day/night to spend in DC on the way to Harpers Ferry. Anybody got any favorite things to do/see? Will be staying around the mall/old Post Office.

I like to use the doorsteps as a privy at 1600 Pennsylvania ave.

Rambler
06-02-2008, 14:56
My daughter refused to let me tour on the Segway's, because she said I needed the exercise,(we were just back from the AT) but they look like fun to tour around on. We had fun getting into the House and Senate where we heard an impassioned speech by Senator Byrd. Now that is entertainment!
Ditto to the FDR Memorial. It took an act of Congress to have a statue showing him in his wheelchair.

Blissful
06-02-2008, 15:01
The monuments are always good to see. But Washington can get HOT.

We recently saw the Constitution and Declaration of Independance in the National Archives. That was really cool. Doesn't take much time as you can skip the museum part (not much there).

D'Artagnan
06-02-2008, 15:28
... We had fun getting into the House and Senate where we heard an impassioned speech by Senator Byrd. Now that is entertainment!...

BARBARIC!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgXRU8gCls

Byrd is nutters.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-02-2008, 15:36
they got Busch Light?
No they only sell beer there

Odd Thomas
06-02-2008, 15:39
BARBARIC!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgXRU8gCls

Byrd is nutters.

Was he drunk!?:eek: