PDA

View Full Version : Best digital camera case for shoulder strap

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 13:50
Looking for a camera case that can go on the shouler strap of a ULA catalyst. Most I have seen flop around abit. If I stick it in the waist belt pouch things always fall out when I try to get it out. ( I know- to much junk)

No Belay
06-01-2008, 14:00
Don't know what size camera you have. I have a Nikon S600 and a Nikon P5100 that I use for packing. I carry them in a Pelican 1010 case on my left shoulder strap. Gives me quick access and complete waterproof and crush protection. The Pelican weighs about 4oz but has saved both of my cameras several times so to me it's worth the weight. Can't trek without pictures.

bigcranky
06-01-2008, 17:05
I have several shoulder strap pockets. Some are more substantial than others -- I think the Mountainsmith pocket is the heaviest and also the stiffest. It also has a lot of padding, and it's really easy to attach to pretty much any strap. Our local outfitter had them last year, in various sizes.

I just got one of the Gossamer Gear strap pockets. It's about 0.7 ounces, has no stiffness, no support, and no padding, and flops all over when it's loaded. So I used a couple of safety pins from behind the webbing on my shoulder strap, top and bottom, so the pocket stays in one place and doesn't collapse on itself. I stick a Pentax waterproof digital compact camera in there, and it works fine.

I take more photos when the camera is right there in front of me, so using a strap pocket is a good thing. For me, anyway. Just have to be careful putting on the pack, so I don't whack myself in the head with the camera.

ofthearth
06-01-2008, 17:08
Don't know what size camera you have. I have a Nikon S600 and a Nikon P5100 that I use for packing. I carry them in a Pelican 1010 case on my left shoulder strap. Gives me quick access and complete waterproof and crush protection. The Pelican weighs about 4oz but has saved both of my cameras several times so to me it's worth the weight. Can't trek without pictures.

How does the case attach to the strap? Found the case on line but could not see the back.

HYOH
06-01-2008, 17:46
How does the case attach to the strap? Found the case on line but could not see the back.

My room mate and I both use the Pelican Model 1010 with the clear top. You can see how the camera is situated in the case and that really helps when you're making a fast grab for your camera. The case has a molded in belt loop on each end that will take up to 2" webbing. My Canon fits snugly in my case. Her Nikon is smaller so we put a couple of beads of II silicone on the inside of the lid and it holds camera perfectly. I tried other set ups and drownded one camera and squashed another. Like No Belay, the weight to me is worth the protection.

HYOH

ofthearth
06-02-2008, 12:15

My room mate and I both use the Pelican Model 1010 with the clear top. You can see how the camera is situated in the case and that really helps when you're making a fast grab for your camera. The case has a molded in belt loop on each end that will take up to 2" webbing. My Canon fits snugly in my case. Her Nikon is smaller so we put a couple of beads of II silicone on the inside of the lid and it holds camera perfectly. I tried other set ups and drownded one camera and squashed another. Like No Belay, the weight to me is worth the protection.

HYOH

Have you seen the i1010.Pros/cons? Has straps and the lid is the same color as the base. How do you attach your 1010 to your pack? Again, just going by what I can see on the web.

Uncle Tom
06-02-2008, 13:41
I had real success with the standard left pocket right there on the on the ULA belt. It was big enough to fit my Ipod, earphones, camera, and digital tape recorder. If your camera is too big, get a smaller one.

HYOH
06-02-2008, 14:19
Have you seen the i1010.Pros/cons? Has straps and the lid is the same color as the base. How do you attach your 1010 to your pack? Again, just going by what I can see on the web.

The i1010 is designed solely for the Ipod. It has external earphone connections and like the 1010 is waterproof. The strap on my pad comes loose and I just thread it through the 2 molded in strap loops. The guy I got the idea from used self adhereing 3" velcro on his strap and the back of the case.

ofthearth
06-02-2008, 15:06
I had real success with the standard left pocket right there on the on the ULA belt. It was big enough to fit my Ipod, earphones, camera, and digital tape recorder. If your camera is too big, get a smaller one.

Up till now I carried it in the right pocket but when I try to get the camera out (like you I carry other stuff in there) it's always a hassell and I find I don't take as many pics. The 1010 looks like it has a snap opening (quicker) and will do a better job of protecting the camera.

ofthearth
06-02-2008, 15:11
The i1010 is designed solely for the Ipod.

(How so? Just curious. Down side of the web is that it is hard to get a real feel for things!)

It has external earphone connections and like the 1010 is waterproof. The strap on my pad comes loose and I just thread it through the 2 molded in strap loops. The guy I got the idea from used self adhereing 3" velcro on his strap and the back of the case.

Thanks for the info on the 1010.