PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Recommendations/Rutland Area

earlylight
06-01-2008, 17:41
I need a shuttle from Rt 11/30 (foot of Bromley Mt) to Clarendon Gorge or vice versa on Thursday evening or Friday morning at the end of this week (June 5/6). Does anyone have any suggestions about reliable taxi services or hiker shuttles in the Manchester Ctr or Rutland areas that know where the LT trail heads are and cater to hikers? Thx!

minnesotasmith
06-01-2008, 18:16
The local trail maintainer "PlansTooMuch". Knowledgeable, a nice guy, and a great friend to hikers. He shuttled me around a third of Vermont when I was slackpacking there not quite 2 years ago. I don't have his #, but the Twelve Tribes Hostel in Rutland probably knows how to get in touch with him.

Quoddy
06-01-2008, 18:24
Philip... If worst comes to worse, it's a very easy hitch from the trailhead into Manchester Center. The problem is that I don't believe that there is any public transportation between there and the Rutland area. That was the impression I got while at The Mountain Goat last fall and a couple of hikers were looking to do almost the same thing. You might give The Mountain Goat a call... 802 362-5159.

I can't help you out since I'll be on the LT at the time.

John (Quoddy)

Peaks
06-02-2008, 08:06
Philip... If worst comes to worse, it's a very easy hitch from the trailhead into Manchester Center. The problem is that I don't believe that there is any public transportation between there and the Rutland area. That was the impression I got while at The Mountain Goat last fall and a couple of hikers were looking to do almost the same thing. You might give The Mountain Goat a call... 802 362-5159.

I can't help you out since I'll be on the LT at the time.

John (Quoddy)

Vermont Transit should have a bus (Greyhound) running along Route 7 from Bennington to Burlington. You should be able to catch it in Manchester, and get off in downtown Rutland.

earlylight
06-02-2008, 15:16
The Mountain goat gave me two taxi services to call that are hiker friendly.

Leonard's taxi - 802-362-7039

Tom (up in rutland) 802-775-5371.

I will look into everyones other suggestions as well..Keep them coming!

earlylight
06-02-2008, 15:34
They were acquired by greyhound and their route maps and itineraries are now impossible to access.

earlylight
06-02-2008, 15:40
Leonard seem like an agreeable fellow. I've got a shuttle. Price is $40 from 11/30 to Clarendon George. Thanks Quoddy for the Mountain Goat recommendation!

fivel
06-02-2008, 15:44
http://www.thebus.com/routes/rt7commuter.htm
I took this bus from Wallingford to Manchester last year. The signs said it would be $1 but it was actually free. I remembered that the route started in Rutland, so you could shuttle between the two using this bus.

The bus driver was very nice and everyone was asking for special stops. When we got into Manchester, I needed to stop in town, so I asked to stop at The Mountain Goat. Later, I ended up getting a taxi to the actual trail head outside of Manchester (7 miles?? - not sure but I remember it was too far to road walk). This cost me $10 (well, really, $20, because he didn't have change, and I was a wus back then and didn't know what to do, so I gave him the $20 - this was outrageous!).

So, long story short - take the bus - and hitch to the trail head if the bus won't take you there!