PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a hike

Ashman
06-01-2008, 19:17
Okay I am planning a hike for the last weekend in June. I was looking to do the section of the AT from Ashby Gap south to Chester Gap about 20 miles. My group is coming out of Greensboro, NC. A couple of the guys didn't realize it was so far and want to know if there is something closer. I know there is, lots but I don't have a clue what to look for. So I am turning to you, my friends of whiteblaze for suggested routes. Doesn't have to be AT but I am looking for a hike that is:
1) less than 3 hours from Greensboro NC
2) Simliar terrian (elevation changes and whatnot) to the section listed above
3) Suggestions on where to find trail quality maps of the suggested intinerary

I look forward to your suggestions and advice.

Johnny Swank
06-01-2008, 19:38
Join the crowd at Mt. Rogers. Easy logistics, maps at BRMS or Great Outdoor Provision co.

Start at Massey Gap, go north on AT, camp somewhere around Wise shelter, stay north on AT, cut over on Pine Mtn Trail, camp somewhere around Rhododedron Gap, hike back down to Massey Gap.

Pretty country, but don't go there if you're looking for solitude.

Lone Wolf
06-01-2008, 19:54
Join the crowd at Mt. Rogers. Easy logistics, maps at BRMS or Great Outdoor Provision co.

Start at Massey Gap, go north on AT, camp somewhere around Wise shelter, stay north on AT, cut over on Pine Mtn Trail, camp somewhere around Rhododedron Gap, hike back down to Massey Gap.

Pretty country, but don't go there if you're looking for solitude.

ditto........

Summit
06-01-2008, 20:47
Shining Rock Wilderness - see here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35453

It's about 3 1/2 hours from Greensboro. There is a very usable/printable map in my post #14 and a short trip report in #16, with some pics in my gallery. The loop I did and describe is . . . you guessed it, about 20 miles! :)

If you're seriously interested, I'll be happy to provide more details. ;)

Big Red 68
06-04-2008, 15:18
Two friends and I Are hiking from Watuga Lake, TN to Damascus VA. It'S ABOUT 40 miles but it does look like that bad of a hike. We are getting a shuttle from mt. Rogers Outfitters to drive us south to our starting point. We have 4 dsys to work with so we will have plenty of time.

Big Red 68
06-04-2008, 15:20
It does not look like that bad of a hike

Ashman
06-04-2008, 16:09
Johnny I have the map for that area, that loop looks like it is about 15 miles total. Does that sound right? Does anyone know what the water looks like up there? Looks like plenty on the AT but when you cut off on the back trails not so much. How well are the Non-AT trails marked?