PDA

View Full Version : Intro hike

Bear Cables
06-01-2008, 21:31
Oops! That thread should read "intro"...I am teaching my sister how to backpack. She wants to do some AT with me next spring. We are going to train on some short hikes close to home. I was thinking that the Standing Indian loop might be a good choice for her or Rock Gap to Standing Indian. Any suggestions on this ? I would like to stay south of Wallace Gap .

CherrypieScout
06-01-2008, 22:45
I agree that Standing Indian would be a good choice. Enough shelters, water, and one big old tall hill to climb. I have considered taking a couple of my friends to make the circle.

TIDE-HSV
06-01-2008, 23:09
SI would be hard to beat for a long weekend...

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 00:25
Down here in the deep south April is a pretty good hiking weather month. What would it be like in NC on the trail at that time of the year?I'm thinking that the week we have off of school at Easter would be a good time to hike Standing Indian with her.

TIDE-HSV
06-02-2008, 00:38
Easter is very variable by date and also by weather. I have pix of the poster known as "Krewzer" and me hiking down from Wayah Bald in 6" of snow on Easter weekend around 1980. That wasn't the tough part, though. We sheltered in the old stone "fort," which was covered inside with ice. We pitched our tent inside to keep off the drips from the ceiling caused by our stoves. We spread flies over the windows to try and keep the wind out, but it mostly just made a lot of noise. We were sectioning (he thrued in 2K), but a couple of thrus had gone down into Franklin and brought up, among other goodies, a canned ham. We pooled resources and had a marvelous Easter dinner...

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 00:54
Easter is very variable by date and also by weather. I have pix of the poster known as "Krewzer" and me hiking down from Wayah Bald in 6" of snow on Easter weekend around 1980. That wasn't the tough part, though. We sheltered in the old stone "fort," which was covered inside with ice. We pitched our tent inside to keep off the drips from the ceiling caused by our stoves. We spread flies over the windows to try and keep the wind out, but it mostly just made a lot of noise. We were sectioning (he thrued in 2K), but a couple of thrus had gone down into Franklin and brought up, among other goodies, a canned ham. We pooled resources and had a marvelous Easter dinner...

We would be hiking the week of April 12. Any idea of what to expect climate wise?

TIDE-HSV
06-02-2008, 01:01
Well, April 12 next year is a long time in the future, and, as I said, April weather is all over the map, literally. One thing, however, the hike I referred to is almost thirty years in the past now, and the world has warmed up considerably. Hiking at around 5K' in April around Standing Indian, you still have to consider that the temps may well be sub-freezing...

Two Speed
06-02-2008, 06:05
Or it could be mild and pretty. As Tide said, weather's highly variable that time of year.

Have you considered the southern end of the Alabama Pinhoti? Shorter drive, further south so weather's less likely to be a problem and the Pinhoti's a great trail in it's own right. The Alabama Hiking Society (http://www.hikealabama.org/trailinformation.html) has some good info. Lots more out there if you look around a little.

Basically, what I'm getting at is don't get hung up on hiking the AT. Yeah, the AT is a great trail, but there's lots of good hiking elsewhere. The Pinhoti is a long trail that I think is under appreciated, and I'm sure there are others that I haven't seen yet.

MOWGLI
06-02-2008, 07:01
Have you considered the southern end of the Alabama Pinhoti? Shorter drive, further south so weather's less likely to be a problem and the Pinhoti's a great trail in it's own right.

I second that emotion. Less of a chance of nasty - cold weather.

Jason of the Woods
06-02-2008, 07:22
Take her to Amicolola. If she can do that, she can do the whole thing.

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 10:33
Or it could be mild and pretty. As Tide said, weather's highly variable that time of year.

Have you considered the southern end of the Alabama Pinhoti? Shorter drive, further south so weather's less likely to be a problem and the Pinhoti's a great trail in it's own right. The Alabama Hiking Society (http://www.hikealabama.org/trailinformation.html) has some good info. Lots more out there if you look around a little.

Basically, what I'm getting at is don't get hung up on hiking the AT. Yeah, the AT is a great trail, but there's lots of good hiking elsewhere. The Pinhoti is a long trail that I think is under appreciated, and I'm sure there are others that I haven't seen yet.

That's a good suggestion. You're right AT isn't the only trail there is. Pinhoti may be a good first big hike for her.

Cuffs
06-02-2008, 10:35
Ya'll beat me to the Pinhoti info! However, I would not suggest the southern end of it, but starting at Cheaha State Park and going north. Its a water issue on the south end... and the shelters start north from there... Need more info? Send me a PM!

jesse
06-02-2008, 10:51
Take her to Amicolola. If she can do that, she can do the whole thing.

Not if you want solitude. You will be right in the thick of the thru hiker circus.

Cuffs
06-02-2008, 11:12
Theres also the Black Creek Trail in lower Mississippi (think its about 40+ miles?) and it follows the Black Creek, so water wont be an issue.

Rambler
06-02-2008, 15:00
Hiked NC April 2 -11. Temps ranged 48 - 70.

Bear Cables
06-02-2008, 19:40
Theres also the Black Creek Trail in lower Mississippi (think its about 40+ miles?) and it follows the Black Creek, so water wont be an issue.

The Black creek trail is only an hour or so from me. It's good for learning but very little change in elevation. Last I heard less than 5 miles had been reopened after the Katrina damage. The entire trail was closed for about 2 years. The river opened soon but not the 50 miles of trail.But maybe you have more recenet information than I have. It is a great trail.

Nearly Normal
06-03-2008, 01:23
Choose carefully.
Big hills right off the bat can turn a newbie off or on. You know your sister well enough to call it.

MoBill122
06-03-2008, 18:50
I'd do as Cuffs said above. Start at Cheaha and head north... spend the first night in Blue Mountain Shelter, its only two miles in. The you got a few nights to tent, so she'd know how that is. After that, you got shelters for the next 50 miles or so. Pretty easy hike until you climb Dugger Mtn, but even that won't kill your sister.

But there again, if you're trying to discourage her.... start at Porter Gap, put a 50lb pack on her back...and let he walk up Cheaha Mtn.

That was mean..... wasn't it.... sorry...

Bear Cables
06-04-2008, 11:18
I'd do as Cuffs said above. Start at Cheaha and head north... spend the first night in Blue Mountain Shelter, its only two miles in. The you got a few nights to tent, so she'd know how that is. After that, you got shelters for the next 50 miles or so. Pretty easy hike until you climb Dugger Mtn, but even that won't kill your sister.

But there again, if you're trying to discourage her.... start at Porter Gap, put a 50lb pack on her back...and let he walk up Cheaha Mtn.

That was mean..... wasn't it.... sorry...

She had years (all her life) of tenting so that is not a problem. She's a strong day hiker and an excellent canoe camper but has never carried her stuff like in backpacking. She's a trooper.