PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst storm you have been in while on the FT?

wahoo
06-01-2008, 22:56
I got into a real bad lightning and hailstorm while out on the Citrus A Loop today...!
I've been in a few scary ones while hiking, but the one today takes the cake. As usual, it only lasted about 30-40 minutes, but the lightning was nailing stuff really close to the trail. I was pelted for about 10 minutes with gumball sized hail too.
I know yall have some good stories about Florida storms and hiking, let's hear 'em!

MagicSFK
06-02-2008, 21:16
Sorry, I have nothing to contribute...but I'm anxious to hear everyone's stories as well!

littlelaurel59
06-04-2008, 08:52
I remember a thunderstorm in western NC years ago that scared the poop outta me! I was leading a group of boys from a summer camp. The lightning was so close that I could hear a snap BEFORE the incredibly bright flash of light and the immediate deafening crash of thunder. I have since learned that the snap is due to the initial arc of current that starts the whole process. We, too, were pelted by hail. That stuff hurts!!!

On another occasion, my brother and I were on the side of Pine Mountain in the Mt Rogers area and experienced rain of biblical (i.e. Noah, 40 days and nights, etc) proportions. It was a deluge for 12 straight hours overnight. Neither of us slept. We were too busy bailing water and praying the lightning would miss us. The next day, the trail was a creek as we hiked out. I don't think I have ever been that wet!

GMcClain20
06-04-2008, 10:36
I wasn't sure whether or not to post this since it's not a great story. But I ran into a squal that lasted about 15 minutes as soon as I hit the Trail at Pats Island at the top of Juniper Prairie. The rain was not the horrible part, rather it was my attempting to put an emergency poncho over both me and my backpack. That was quite a comical site to see. Needless to say several minutes of wrestling with a plastic bag finally subsided with the rain stopping and my pack and clothes being wet regardless of my fight to keep dry.

Needless to say I got some hands on experiance in keeping dry, or rather preparing properly "just in case!"

Red Hat
06-04-2008, 11:10
Worst was outside Erwin, climbing after Beauty Spot in late April 05. Heavy rain, thunder, lightening which turned to sleet as the day went on. I was terrified and had no where to go, so I just kept on walking until I got to the shelter. The sleet turned to snow by morning and I hiked out to the next road crossing.

Before that my worst had been my climb up to Dragon's Tooth in June 03. Hard enough without rain, thunder, and lightening. A very loooonnnggg day to say the least. My first experience with rock climbing.