PDA

View Full Version : Bugs Going NoBo

Chance09
06-02-2008, 12:40
I'm starting my hike in early March and figure that I won't need my bug netting then so I'm going to leave it home to save a few ounces. When would be a good time to pick it up and start carrying it again to avoid the bugs? Thanks in advance.

MOWGLI
06-02-2008, 12:45
I'm starting my hike in early March and figure that I won't need my bug netting then so I'm going to leave it home to save a few ounces. When would be a good time to pick it up and start carrying it again to avoid the bugs? Thanks in advance.

I started March 7. Gnats became an issue memorial Day weekend near Rockfish Gap. They tended to fly into your eyes. Skeeters were thick by the time I reached PA the first week in June.

I never used a headnet. YMMV.

minnesotasmith
06-02-2008, 13:44
http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/

Map to which sections of the AT will be affected:

http://www.cicadamania.com/broodxivmap.html

DavidNH
06-02-2008, 13:50
I am assuming you are thru hiking the AT going north bound. Since you are starting March 7, don't give bug proction a thought for several months.

I would say you don't need it full boar until as late as Kent, CT (there is a stretch in southern Mass with low land mud flats that are pure bug hell).

However, you may want bug protection in NJ as well if conditions are right. There is some low land swampy area and the trail goes via a long board walk right over a marsh.

I would say until New Jersey you wont need bug protection.

David

DavidNH
06-02-2008, 13:50
I am assuming you are thru hiking the AT going north bound. Since you are starting March 7, don't give bug proction a thought for several months.

I would say you don't need it full boar until as late as Kent, CT (there is a stretch in southern Mass with low land mud flats that are pure bug hell).

However, you may want bug protection in NJ as well if conditions are right. There is some low land swampy area and the trail goes via a long board walk right over a marsh.

I would say until New Jersey you wont need bug protection.

David

tucker0104
06-04-2008, 10:17
Anyone from southern georgia or northern florida that have hiked the AT and could compare the bugs here to the bugs on the trail from FEB-JUN time frame? Is it worse or not as bad? Do you bring nets or bug spray or both?

Blissful
06-04-2008, 20:49
Have your head net by PA, but you really need it in CT and MA, esp at campsites or when stopping to rest (I didn't use mine much though). 100% DEET by mid Virginia (for the ticks, mainly, until you get farther north, then it will be for mosquitos). Gnats are annoying but I just swatted at them and used DEET.