PDA

View Full Version : REIs new website...

NorthCountryWoods
06-02-2008, 12:46
....stinks.

That is all.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 12:49
Another not-thrilled customer. I've tried to find several things on the site in the past few days and it is hard to navigate. Ended up ordering from Campmor instead

Jimmers
06-02-2008, 12:52
Actually, it doesn't seem all that different or difficult to navigate to me. The nav bar is just across the top of the page now instead of the side. Just personal preference I guess.

max patch
06-02-2008, 12:56
Nothing wrong with the new site.

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2008, 12:56
Wow, what an improvement, Somebody hit the Easy Button....

Now about those wacked out of proportion high prices that keeps me going to the clearance section!

saimyoji
06-02-2008, 13:05
Another not-thrilled customer. I've tried to find several things on the site in the past few days and it is hard to navigate. Ended up ordering from Campmor instead

Hmm..What did you find hard to find?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 14:53
I was looking for two small items and several larger items - Cogahan's zipper pull thermometer / compass, a single cup coffee manual coffee maker, a double-size hanging mosquito net, a pair of zip off pants for my Dad, a long-sleeve hiking shirt with pockets for Dad, a pair of zip-off pants for me. I couldn't find any zip-off pants in my size on REI's site even though I know they carry larger sizes. Couldn't find the shirt I wanted for Dad, the zipper pull or the coffee maker at all. I went right to all of these on Campmor's site. I've never had problems with the REI search function before, but it was giving me off-the-wall results last Thursday - I got a 24 cup metal coffee pot with a search for a hiking coffee! Like I said, it was no biggie - I just ordered the items from Campmor.

NorthCountryWoods
06-02-2008, 14:53
Pages aren't linked properly....java crap is super slow for some reason....used to be able to organize searches better....seem to be missing items that were there last week.....etc.

Been trying to buy a REI bug hut for 3 days now and keep getting errors.

ki0eh
06-02-2008, 14:59
The new website, like the old, continues placing the Mid State Trail http://www.hike-mst.org map and guide set in the region of "Hawaii and Alaska" http://www.rei.com/category/10574069 . Wish I had the talent for figuring out how to have some fun with that...

Alligator
06-02-2008, 15:12
Pages aren't linked properly....java crap is super slow for some reason....used to be able to organize searches better....seem to be missing items that were there last week.....etc.

Been trying to buy a REI bug hut for 3 days now and keep getting errors.The Bug Hut 1? I saw that listed on the same page as a double mosquito net when I entered mosquito net into the search engine. I got as far as the checkout when I stopped. If you send me your credit card number I will order it for you:D;).

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 15:18
I just went out and tried to locate the items again and found all but one -- and the results I got weren't off-the-wall this time. Maybe they are fixing the site?

NorthCountryWoods
06-02-2008, 15:38
I just went out and tried to locate the items again and found all but one -- and the results I got weren't off-the-wall this time. Maybe they are fixing the site?

I'm sure it's just new site bugs, but frustrating none the less.

Mrs Baggins
06-02-2008, 15:57
My only complaint is that they've stopped selling the REI Tech Tee. I loved those t-shirts. They were 100% poly, felt like cotton, nice loose fit, wicked really well and super easy to hand wash and fast air dry. Now all of the shirts for women have spandex in them and I can't wear that - skin allergy. They told me to buy a Men's Sahara t-shirt - can't do that because the Men's sizes are much too big for me. So now I have to find my t-shirts somewhere else.

NorthCountryWoods
06-03-2008, 06:40
Finally, after a few failed attempts last night got to order what I needed, but no option for fast shipping and standard shipping will take 7 business days....which is unusually long.

Weird.

On a positive...you now have multiple options when an item is backordered. The last time I ordered something that was backordered, I didn't find out til after finalizing the sale and had no choices at that point.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-03-2008, 09:27
My only complaint is that they've stopped selling the REI Tech Tee. I loved those t-shirts. They were 100% poly, felt like cotton, nice loose fit, wicked really well and super easy to hand wash and fast air dry. Now all of the shirts for women have spandex in them and I can't wear that - skin allergy. They told me to buy a Men's Sahara t-shirt - can't do that because the Men's sizes are much too big for me. So now I have to find my t-shirts somewhere else.I feel your pain. Practically every synthetic shirt made for women and girls these days has spandex - and the rotund Dino just says no to spandex for the safety of the world's eyes.

Columbia sells the T-shirts for women you want - they call the fabric Omni-Dry. More expensive than the REI shirts, but you can get them for either gender in any size above a child's 4T.

I have been buying these T-shirts in the men's department, sportswear section, for a while now. Cheaper than Columbia's shirts and don't have the fashion add-ons sometimes found on Columbia's stuff. Given your size, I suggest you go to the boys' department in any store that sells sportswear - even places like Sears, WalMart, Target, Penneys, Kohls, Belk, etc. have these - and see what you can find. They will be near the basketball type shorts. Men and boys also have technical underwear these days - and some of the fabrics used in the T-shirts there are very comfy. Downside - black, white and gray are generally the only color choices.

Mrs Baggins
06-03-2008, 09:37
I feel your pain. Practically every synthetic shirt made for women and girls these days has spandex - and the rotund Dino just says no to spandex for the safety of the world's eyes.

Columbia sells the T-shirts for women you want - they call the fabric Omni-Dry. More expensive than the REI shirts, but you can get them for either gender in any size above a child's 4T.

I have been buying these T-shirts in the men's department, sportswear section, for a while now. Cheaper than Columbia's shirts and don't have the fashion add-ons sometimes found on Columbia's stuff. Given your size, I suggest you go to the boys' department in any store that sells sportswear - even places like Sears, WalMart, Target, Penneys, Kohls, Belk, etc. have these - and see what you can find. They will be near the basketball type shorts. Men and boys also have technical underwear these days - and some of the fabrics used in the T-shirts there are very comfy. Downside - black, white and gray are generally the only color choices.

Thank you! I will look for those. I just loved the loose soft fit of the REI shirts :( I hate clingy body fitting shirts of any kind.

AlwaysHiking
06-03-2008, 10:13
Thank you! I will look for those. I just loved the loose soft fit of the REI shirts :( I hate clingy body fitting shirts of any kind.

Check out the C9 by Champion tanks, bras and T's at Target. I love their stuff. Loose fitting and long so plenty of coverage. Prices are great too!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton/601-8498494-0695308?&frombrowse=1&page=1&field%2dbrowse=183552011&node=183552011&index=target&pricerange=&rh=&rank=pmrank&asin=B0012BTD4U
http://www.target.com/C9-Champion-Athletic-V-Neck-Tank/dp/B000Y93UKY/qid=1212501982/ref=br_1_15/601-8498494-0695308?ie=UTF8&node=405486011&frombrowse=1&rh=&page=1

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2008, 10:20
Been trying to buy a REI bug hut for 3 days now and keep getting errors.They have live online support, a 1-800 number, and also state that they answer emails the next business day.

Pokey2006
06-03-2008, 10:55
Why is that family in the picture on their website playing CHECKERS? A beautiful day camping on the beach and they're playing CHECKERS???

sarbar
06-03-2008, 10:59
Will second the Target shirts by Champion. I have a number of them. At $8-20 a shirt they are very affordable!

Mags
06-03-2008, 11:40
Will second the Target shirts by Champion. I have a number of them. At $8-20 a shirt they are very affordable!

I have a long sleeve version and short sleeve version of those shirts. Have lasted well! I also use the champion brand running shorts from Target as well. Very comfy and durable.

StepChld
06-03-2008, 11:59
+1 for the C9 T-Shirts from Target. Discovered them last year and it's pretty much all I wear during the summer now(I guess I should throw on shorts every now and then). Very lightweight and wick very well for this sweaty southern boy! And cheap too!(the shirts, not me...no wait, I'm pretty cheap too)

ToyYoda
06-03-2008, 12:05
I like it, just don't like that its a bit slower. MORE STATIC PAGES PLZ.

neo
06-03-2008, 14:03
....stinks.

That is all.

i dont like it either,the older website is better:cool:neo

Incahiker
06-03-2008, 17:38
I agree, the older website is better, not because I'm used to it, but because its better. They still have loads of info that doesn't even show up, like specs, pics of products. A lot of links take you to nothing. I don't like it. The older one was much smoother. I guess it will be ok once everything is going smooth and the pics, specs, etc... are back on all the products.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 22:07
Say what you want there were astounding problems with the old software at the site.- I can see the improvement.

AlwaysHiking
06-04-2008, 09:29
I think an overhaul of their website was way overdue, but as a professional web developer, I can't stand it when the big wigs decide to push a launch before it's ready. Should stay on the dev side until all bugs are worked out.

I'm sure eventually it will be corrected, but it's very frustrating as an end user.

AlwaysHiking
06-10-2008, 17:24
Their site is going SO slow. Descriptions and specs are there one minute, then not the next.

Trying to take advantage of their 20% outlet item deal. Such a frustrating experience.

Appalachian Tater
06-10-2008, 17:25
Their site is going SO slow. Descriptions and specs are there one minute, then not the next.

Trying to take advantage of their 20% outlet item deal. Such a frustrating experience.Why don't you just call them or use their online customer service? The number is toll-free.

AlwaysHiking
06-10-2008, 17:42
Why don't you just call them or use their online customer service? The number is toll-free.

Have you ever dealt with them? They don't know much about product but they are good with pricing and promotions.

I have given them about 7 tries and each time I end up with someone who just started there, doesn't usually handle this type of question but doesn't know who would, etc... Oh, and putting me on hold to go check the warehouse to read a product tag, because they don't have the specs available to the call center employees, is fantastic; "It'll just take me about 10 min. ma'am and I'll be right back with you," [hold music]...

And when the call center tells me I'm better off calling a store, I know I've really gotten through to a gear guru. But the stores don't all carry everything that's available online. Especially the stuff in the outlet.

No, I prefer in person at the store or by myself online. But today it's really sludging. Keeps timing out and it's the only site doing that for me.

daibutsu
06-10-2008, 18:11
AlwaysHiking,

I agree: When REI has a sale, we rush there because their prices are now fair, they keep limited stock so you get to look at everything, ok loss leaders, some call this bait and switch. Then they tout we have a GREAT online process, we ship for FREE to our store!! Ok, you go to store 1 to 2 trips now. See their stuff all over again. First what's wrong with delivery, you can opt for that; a person brings you, and hundreds of your neighbors, stuff and you never have to go to the store: How efficient is that?. We get roped into this great benefit.

People will get fanatical, watch the replies, about an REI doubter!!! REI is one big reason there are no more little fish mom and pops left in this arena. Plus, their prices are hugely inflated!! Wait maybe next week I can become a member and still use that 20 percent off coupon... and pay what I'd pay if I stayed online just like REI is trying to get you to do. They ought to just admit it, close their stores; save rent and heat and lights and get with fair pricing.

ki0eh
06-10-2008, 19:22
The new website, like the old, continues placing the Mid State Trail http://www.hike-mst.org map and guide set in the region of "Hawaii and Alaska" http://www.rei.com/category/10574069 . Wish I had the talent for figuring out how to have some fun with that...

Last Saturday I had the distinct honor and pleasure to lead a morning work crew for National Trails Day comprised of REI executives. At the mid-morning rest break one of them asked the group: "Have you been on our new website?" I replied in the affirmative, and also made this observation. While I was finishing my overview of the MST one fellow was fiddling with his blackberry then said "It will be fixed. How come I get better cell service out here than at the Bedford Springs hotel??" :)

So tonight when the thread came up again I checked. It's now in the "New England and Mid Atlantic" category - however it also still comes up in the "Hawaii and Alaska" category. :-?

NorthCountryWoods
06-11-2008, 15:11
****Update****

I knew that shipping estimate was off. 4 days early and the backordered item arrived as well. Also 4 items in 4 different shipments by UPS and USPS. They seem REAL confused over there. :confused:

Chance09
06-11-2008, 15:15
i'm pretty disappointed by their new site aw well.

ki0eh
06-11-2008, 15:49
****Update****

I knew that shipping estimate was off. 4 days early and the backordered item arrived as well. Also 4 items in 4 different shipments by UPS and USPS. They seem REAL confused over there. :confused:

Did they all come from the same location? REI has two distribution centers now.

AlwaysHiking
06-11-2008, 15:58
****Update****

Oh that's normal, been happening since way before the site upgrade.

I do love the ease of REI.com though. And their refund policy along with the rebate every March is hard to beat.

With all their flaws, it hasn't stopped me yet from taking advantage of their deals.

RITBlake
06-11-2008, 16:52
love the new site. gotta love REI