PDA

View Full Version : Personal Protection

CBSSTony
06-02-2008, 14:33
I have been thinking of a way to attach a bayonet or forked type device to my trekking poles. Any thoughts? Maybe attach around the second section so that if the need arrises I can shorten the pole to expose the device.

jersey joe
06-02-2008, 14:36
Bad idea. You are more likely to accidentally cut yourself than protect yourself.

DesertMTB
06-02-2008, 14:51
You are better off getting a nice Glock

jesse
06-02-2008, 15:00
Would not recommend bringing a knife to a gun fight!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/349.gif

max patch
06-02-2008, 15:04
Would not recommend bringing a knife to a gun fight!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/349.gif

You must have seen Indiana Jones.

saimyoji
06-02-2008, 15:08
Check out the sword thread....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6931&highlight=sword

bigcranky
06-02-2008, 15:08
A big can of bear spray would do just as well, is safer, non-lethal, and multi-use (you can use it on bears, too.)

Blissful
06-02-2008, 15:13
Is this for real?

I would not want to be anywhere near a hiker that exposes a bayonet on his trekking pole. Yikes.

CBSSTony
06-02-2008, 15:21
This came about because the places I hike are not necessarily on known trails or trails at all. Which increases the chances of meeting wilder animals, mainly hogs and snakes and is for deterrence mainly. Also I had a chance encounter with Hilton which I will not go into. Still it got me thinking.

rafe
06-02-2008, 15:24
This came about because the places I hike are not necessarily on known trails or trails at all. Which increases the chances of meeting wilder animals, mainly hogs and snakes and is for deterrence mainly. Also I had a chance encounter with Hilton which I will not go into. Still it got me thinking.

Uh, right. Hogs and snakes understand deterrence? Do you?

DesertMTB
06-02-2008, 15:27
Also I had a chance encounter with Hilton which I will not go into. Still it got me thinking.

Come one. You brought it up. Tell us man.

MOWGLI
06-02-2008, 15:27
This came about because the places I hike are not necessarily on known trails or trails at all. Which increases the chances of meeting wilder animals, mainly hogs and snakes and is for deterrence mainly.

Hogs should leave you alone, and a trekking pole is perfect for moving a snake off of a trail. There is rarely (if ever) a need to kill anything out on trails. Excepting mosquitoes.

orangebug
06-02-2008, 15:29
Take a tip from Hilton and bring a baton if you feel so inclined. And please stay off the regularly beaten track.

However, if you ever find yourself being charged by an angry wild boar, simply kiss your *ss goodbye. Adjusting a pole to expose a knife doesn't compare to those two tusks aimed at your calves.

Cuffs
06-02-2008, 15:29
Hogs should leave you alone, and a trekking pole is perfect for moving a snake off of a trail. There is rarely (if ever) a need to kill anything out on trails. Excepting mosquitoes.

I second that motion!

MOWGLI
06-02-2008, 15:32
However, if you ever find yourself being charged by an angry wild boar, simply kiss your *ss goodbye. Adjusting a pole to expose a knife doesn't compare to those two tusks aimed at your calves.

I hear ALL THE TIME how dangerous wild boar are. But I have never heard of an instance where a wild boar actually attacked a hiker unprovoked. I assure you, if it was happening, we'd be hearing about it in the news.

DesertMTB
06-02-2008, 15:33
And please stay off the regularly beaten track.

HYOH packsniffer!

NICKTHEGREEK
06-02-2008, 15:34
I have been thinking of a way to attach a bayonet or forked type device to my trekking poles. Any thoughts? Maybe attach around the second section so that if the need arrises I can shorten the pole to expose the device.
Keep thinking

kanga
06-02-2008, 15:35

What about the "wilder animals"?

jesse
06-02-2008, 15:37

and those wilder animals would be..............

Alligator
06-02-2008, 15:38
When it comes to poles and personal protection, Trojans are highly rated.

kanga
06-02-2008, 15:40
When it comes to poles and personal protection, Trojans are highly rated.

ahhh, THOSE "wilder animals"! yeah, you do have to watch out for those, most definitely.;)

Jason of the Woods
06-02-2008, 15:42
You meet bad people all of the time in cities and other civilized places. Does that make you wanna go buy a flame thrower? No need man. Just go hike!

RevLee
06-02-2008, 15:44
Instead of taking the time to deploy something from a hiking pole, why not opt for a greater range? Bear spray with a 30-35 foot range would keep any varmints further away from you. Plus if you are bushwhacking, you don't have to worry about it hanging up on the vegetation like a pole would. If a hog was charging me, my preference would be to engage it a 30 feet vs 4 feet.

Alligator
06-02-2008, 15:52
ahhh, THOSE "wilder animals"! yeah, you do have to watch out for those, most definitely.;)One time this bear got a hold of me and...nevermind, I'm just glad I had a magnum.

woodsy
06-02-2008, 15:54
Walking Sticks for Self Defense

Here ya go: Blow gun, knife,lance etc...... http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

rpettit
06-02-2008, 15:57
Put one of these on the end of a stick and make a spear:banana

rpettit
06-02-2008, 15:58
Put one of these on the end of a stick and make a spear:banana
Oops. Forgot the link. http://www.coldsteel.com/fixed-blades-bushman.html

kanga
06-02-2008, 15:59
ooh, ooh, ooh! go to Chaco's horse poo thread and you'll have **** on a stick!! fling that at a bear!

bigcranky
06-02-2008, 16:01
One time this bear got a hold of me and...nevermind, I'm just glad I had a magnum.

"You're not here for the hunting, are you?" :sun

The Old Fhart
06-02-2008, 16:06
CBSSTony-"I have been thinking of a way to attach a bayonet or forked type device to my trekking poles. Any thoughts? Maybe attach around the second section so that if the need arrises I can shorten the pole to expose the device."An accidental fall on such a Rube Goldberg device would most likely shorten your pole and you'd have nothing to expose.:eek:

Alligator
06-02-2008, 16:06
"You're not here for the hunting, are you?" :sunI only hunt foxes when using a magnum:jump.

kanga
06-02-2008, 16:08
An accidental fall on such a Rube Goldberg device would most likely shorten your pole and you'd have nothing to expose.:eek:

awesome.

MOWGLI
06-02-2008, 16:10

Billville???

kanga
06-02-2008, 16:13
oh, Lord! yes, you might need protection if you run into a randomly wandering group of billvillians (billvillains?) in the woods!

Alligator
06-02-2008, 16:15
A good case for antibiotics:eek:.

J/K:D.

Lone Wolf
06-02-2008, 16:19

oh. i thought this was about condoms. Baltimore Jack has been carrying a condom concealed for a few years now. he hasn't had to use it

kanga
06-02-2008, 16:20

you know, just a word of warning, but if i saw you wandering around in the woods (not on a path, so you say) with a bayonet strapped to your pole, i'd be pretty much assume that you were some kind of freakin' nut-nut, similar to Hilton (may he rot in Hell), and the dogs would immediately be taken off the leash...

woodsy
06-02-2008, 16:23
you know, just a word of warning, but if i saw you wandering around in the woods (not on a path, so you say) with a bayonet strapped to your pole, i'd be pretty much assume that you were some kind of freakin' nut-nut, similar to Hilton (may he rot in Hell), and the dogs would immediately be taken off the leash...
And then:
smack-sombody-in-the-face-with-porcupine-quills
LOL:D

kanga
06-02-2008, 16:24
And then: LOL:D

LMAO! Got me! - I'm feelin' a little froggy today...

woodsy
06-02-2008, 16:26
LMAO! Got me! - I'm feelin' a little froggy today...
Noticed, ain't stickin my neck out anywhere round you girl:)

kanga
06-02-2008, 16:29
Noticed, ain't stickin my neck out anywhere round you girl:)
yeah, i'm gonna go home now and stick my face in a pint of ben & jerry's.:banana

johnny quest
06-02-2008, 16:46
kudos for the rube goldberg comment, old fhart. i wonder how many got that.
luxury lite makes a walking stick with a sharp spear point.

orangebug
06-02-2008, 16:55
I hear ALL THE TIME how dangerous wild boar are. But I have never heard of an instance where a wild boar actually attacked a hiker unprovoked. I assure you, if it was happening, we'd be hearing about it in the news.Totally agree. The thread starter suggested that snakes and wild hogs were his most likely nemisis out there.

Down in South Georgia, there are some fearful big ones. I've never heard of attacks unless when they are being hunted.

Pardon me while I go home and sniff my pack before I head for Mt K next week.

The Old Fhart
06-02-2008, 17:11
Alligator-"I only hunt foxes when using a magnum:jump"Here is an excellent magnum if you're hunting 'foxes'.
4188(click image for larger image)

Skidsteer
06-02-2008, 17:25
Walking Sticks for Self Defense

Here ya go: Blow gun, knife,lance etc...... http://www.crawfordknives.com/SURVIVAL%20STAFF%20PAGE%201.htm

Dadgum. It's even on sale. What a deal!

superman
06-02-2008, 17:37
I made the mistake of setting my tent up on an area that a boar had rutted up. During the night the boar came back and was mad that I was there. I sat up in my tent and reviewed all my defense options. My knife blade was about 1.5 inches. My hiking sticks were under the fly outside the tent. I had a single bulb photon blue light (I didn't know whether to snip the yellow or the green wire). I had a mini lighter. The boar was just outside that super duper Kevlar slick rock tent material. If the boar had wanted to do something, it could have. It never woke Winter up. Had it woke Winter up Winter would have had the advantage since she would have run away faster than me. Well, by the time I reviewed all that stuff I guess I fell back to sleep. In the morning, the boar was gone. I would have figured that it was a dream except for the boar’s tracks outside the tent.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 17:44
I made the mistake of setting my tent up on an area that a boar had rutted up. During the night the boar came back and was mad that I was there. I sat up in my tent and reviewed all my defense options. My knife blade was about 1.5 inches. My hiking sticks were under the fly outside the tent. I had a single bulb photon blue light (I didn't know whether to snip the yellow or the green wire). I had a mini lighter. The boar was just outside that super duper Kevlar slick rock tent material. If the boar had wanted to do something, it could have. It never woke Winter up. Had it woke Winter up Winter would have had the advantage since she would have run away faster than me. Well, by the time I reviewed all that stuff I guess I fell back to sleep. In the morning, the boar was gone. I would have figured that it was a dream except for the boar’s tracks outside the tent.I camped with someone who set their tent up right in the middle of the path the moose used to get to the water, not realizing it, of course. Fortunately for him, the moose were able to squeeze past his little tent.

woodsy
06-02-2008, 17:51
orangebug;635153]Totally agree. The thread starter suggested that snakes and wild hogs were his most likely nemisis out there.

Down in South Georgia, there are some fearful big ones. I've never heard of attacks unless when they are being hunted.
HOGZILLA!!!!:eek:

bloodmountainman
06-02-2008, 17:53
No need to attach anything to your poles. Just take a few Ninja courses on how to properly use them as offensive and defensive weapons.:D

the goat
06-02-2008, 18:09
i'm all for self defense, but anyone who attaches a bayonet to their hiking pole(s) automatically becomes a front-runner for the gold medal in the annual darwin awards.

Two Speed
06-02-2008, 20:46
Yep. The good part is you can dispense with all that "save for retirement" crappola.

Bob S
06-02-2008, 21:12
It seems a foolish thing to do it you plan on having it at the ready all the time. But if you wanted something you could attach to a trekking pole if you saw an animal that you thought dangerous (but then with all the time to attach it, why not back away from the animal?) I would go to a local gun store and look at bayonet mounts and then machine one for my poll. But also you need a trekking poll that is pretty strong, most aren’t strong enough.

All in all, a gun would be a safer choice and a lot lower as far as the kook alert message you would end up sending out to all other hikers.

There are probably factory made ones (hiking or walking staffs) that are made for this purpose.

Skidsteer
06-02-2008, 21:36
Kook alert. I like that. Pretty much nails it.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 21:43
Just buy a ready-made sword cane. If you try to attach a blade to your Lekis, you'll fall and impale yourself. Lekis are not particularly suited for proper bayonet technique, anyway. If you're worried about weight, get one made of titanium.

mudhead
06-03-2008, 07:55
Kook alert. I like that. Pretty much nails it.

Whackjob alert, once you get north.

CBSSTony
06-03-2008, 08:59
It was very interesting to see the responses, good insight, but am I a kook or whackjob? Born up North,but live down South. The intended use was not a full time application, but a potentially needed scenario. If I was going into thick brush, really rocky outcroppings etc. I was not talking about strolling down the trail waving it around, lurking just off trail, or a sword or anything like that. I was actually leaning toward the fork or tined thing anyway. Whether I am a kook or a whackjob, if you were missing or hurt in my area I would be one of the volunteers to comb the area trying to help find you.

take-a-knee
06-03-2008, 09:09
I would recommend a stout staff and training in it's use. Deployment of a bayonet would be problematic, you'd likely not be able to do so before you needed it. No one in the know carries a bayonet, to quote Maj. Herbert McBride (A Rifleman Goes to War), "A bayonet is what your country issues you when they are too cheap to buy you a proper pistol."

jesse
06-03-2008, 09:12
I don't think you are a kook. I just think you over estimate the danger that wild life present here in the Eastern US. The only wildlife that are a threat to people here are mosquitoes and ticks.

superman
06-03-2008, 09:40
It was very interesting to see the responses, good insight, but am I a kook or whackjob? Born up North,but live down South. The intended use was not a full time application, but a potentially needed scenario. If I was going into thick brush, really rocky outcroppings etc. I was not talking about strolling down the trail waving it around, lurking just off trail, or a sword or anything like that. I was actually leaning toward the fork or tined thing anyway. Whether I am a kook or a whackjob, if you were missing or hurt in my area I would be one of the volunteers to comb the area trying to help find you.

You could be a kook or a whackjob but there are so many people on WB ahead of you for that distinction you'll have to wait in line. I hesitate to name names for fear of spears, swords, daggers, machetes, and pit bulls coming right through my computer screen at me.:)

kanga
06-03-2008, 09:48
You could be a kook or a whackjob but there are so many people on WB ahead of you for that distinction you'll have to wait in line. I hesitate to name names for fear of spears, swords, daggers, machetes, and pit bulls coming right through my computer screen at me.:)

And you MIGHT NOT be a kook or a whackjob, but you will APPEAR to be a kook or a whackjob if you carry a bayonet on your hiking pole. Seriously though, you don't need it. Most animals will go away from you as soon as they hear you. Some snakes don't move. I have stepped over many sunning themselves in the middle of the trail and didn't see them until I was past the point of no return. A bayonet would not have helped. You poke a baby bear and mama tears your ass up, a bayonet is not going to help. The only real security you're going to get out of a bayonet (or knife or fork) is the security that you perceive in your mind. Which, if that's what it takes, may be what you need to do to feel safe in the woods. HOWEVER, please understand that by doing so, you are harming the piece of mind of other hikers, who will probably THINK you are a kook or whackjob.

bloodmountainman
06-03-2008, 09:52
And you MIGHT NOT be a kook or a whackjob, but you will APPEAR to be a kook or a whackjob if you carry a bayonet on your hiking pole. Seriously though, you don't need it. Most animals will go away from you as soon as they hear you. Some snakes don't move. I have stepped over many sunning themselves in the middle of the trail and didn't see them until I was past the point of no return. A bayonet would not have helped. You poke a baby bear and mama tears your ass up, a bayonet is not going to help. The only real security you're going to get out of a bayonet (or knife or fork) is the security that you perceive in your mind. Which, if that's what it takes, may be what you need to do to feel safe in the woods. HOWEVER, please understand that by doing so, you are harming the piece of mind of other hikers, who will probably THINK you are a kook or whackjob.
Listen to this gal..... she speaks the truth.:sun

Two Speed
06-03-2008, 10:25
a little more . . .

I'm having visions of some poor slob of a hiker thinking he's safe carrying his/her bayonet equipped hiking staff, and then tangling with a really mean boar.

Personally I'm betting on the boar if the hiker is foolish enough to try to stand their ground.

Rain Man
06-03-2008, 11:27
.. The only real security you're going to get out of a bayonet (or knife or fork) is the security that you perceive in your mind. Which, if that's what it takes, may be what you need to do to feel safe in the woods. ....

Bayonet. Gun. Night light. Blankie.

Yep, big bad macho male is ready for the scary woods!

Rain:sunMan

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:35
I got protection, now I need affection

kanga
06-03-2008, 11:48
Oh, Lord....

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:50
Oh, Lord....
:p:):sun:D:banana

kanga
06-03-2008, 11:52
:p:):sun:D:banana

LOL...;)

sheepdog
06-03-2008, 12:17
a little more . . .

I'm having visions of some poor slob of a hiker thinking he's safe carrying his/her bayonet equipped hiking staff, and then tangling with a really mean boar.

Personally I'm betting on the boar if the hiker is foolish enough to try to stand their ground.
You mean like Bryson? Have there been many Bryson attacks? Now I'm frightened!

Two Speed
06-03-2008, 12:43
You mean like Bryson? Have there been many Bryson attacks? Now I'm frightened!I thought Bryson was pretty funny. Even if he was boaring running him through with a pig-sticker's taking a literary criticism to far. I mean, if that was the penalty there wouldn't be a whole lot of posting on WhiteBlaze, now would there? ;)

farmermv
06-03-2008, 12:52
LuxuryLite® Gear has a hiking stick with a "knife" inside. See their website.

farmermv
06-03-2008, 12:53
LuxuryLite® Gear has a hiking stick with a knife inside.

rdpolete
06-03-2008, 23:17
I always carry my Teddy Bear.:D

No Belay
06-04-2008, 00:20
Finger nail clippers, tried and proven on the AT.

Madmax
06-08-2008, 18:18
I'm building a .22 cal rifle-pipe into the spine of my umbrella ;)

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2008, 19:42
LuxuryLite® Gear has a hiking stick with a knife inside.
They need to make one with a Samurai sword.

Bob S
06-08-2008, 19:45
I'm building a .22 cal rifle-pipe into the spine of my umbrella ;)

If you are in fact doing this, I would not post on a BBS about it. It’s EXTREAMLY illegal to do.

Even in jest, you can get some visitors with federal badges that don’t have a sense of humor.

Madmax
06-08-2008, 21:01
If you are in fact doing this, I would not post on a BBS about it. It’s EXTREAMLY illegal to do.

Even in jest, you can get some visitors with federal badges that don’t have a sense of humor.

Shhh... don't tell anyone about my teddy bear armed with a secret and completely overwhelming toothbrush, without any hair... Shhh...

So many ways to defend one self. Skillfull and thoughtful behavior in combinaton with psychologically balanced personal "strength" is a powerful tool.

Anyone have the right - and duty - to defend them selves... BAM

Best weapon is though, IMO, to remain stealth when camping in areas exposed to humans ;)

MEM