PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies or Greenheads

AlwaysHiking
06-02-2008, 15:09
Which do you think are the worst?

When I get bit by a black fly (or two) I always swear I hate them the most. Then when I get bit by a greenhead (or seven) I decide I hate them the most instead. I think it depends on which one I'm suffering the most from at the moment.

Either or, I can't stand the damn things. Got hit 7 times on the same leg Saturday by greenheads. My calf is swollen up about a third larger than it's normal size. Looks like I've been doing some serious leg lifts or squats with a constantly 'flexed' calf muscle.

I hate flies.

Old Hillwalker
06-02-2008, 16:33
Deer Flies or Greenheads or Horse Flies don't actually bite. The land and quickly excrete a very corrosive alkaline drop from their mouth parts which instantly dissolves the flesh it touches. They then suck up the resulting liquid protein. That's why it hurts pretty much the instant they land.

Northeastern and Tundra Black flies on the other hand can often feed without you feeling it. You only know when you see the blood welling from the source of the bite. Black flies inject a anticoagulant into the bite site which causes severe swelling and itching for days afterward.

If you take a look at the site of a Deer Fly et.al. "bite" you will see a tiny red crater where you were dissolved.

Let's hope that ticks don't evolve wings.....

There are chiggers in New Hampshire. Specifically in the "Castle in the Clouds" area of Moultonboro. They were probably brought in from Mid Atlantic and Southern States by the horses that are kept up there. That's the only place where I have seen them so far.

Now if we only had more common poisonous snakes.

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 16:40
I think I'm more allergic to the black flies. I've had a couple of bites get infected and absessed. Likely due to secondary infection from scratching, but they take a good week to go away on me even if they don't get infected.

twentybelow
06-02-2008, 16:44
in my experience greenheads usually meet their doom with one swat, often before they even bite. black flies are quicker and not only does it take more energy to dispatch them back to hell where they came from, but i've imagined them laughing amongst themselves watching me whack myself in the head repeatedly each time i miss.

just out of curiosity, what part of the AT has greenheads? i can't say i've ever seen one there. i associate them with the salt marshes and estuaries around where i live.

mudhead
06-02-2008, 16:48
I think I'm more allergic to the black flies. I've had a couple of bites get infected and absessed. Likely due to secondary infection from scratching, but they take a good week to go away on me even if they don't get infected.

Try an AfterBite pen. Works great.

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 16:50
Try an AfterBite pen. Works great.

Thanks, I'll try that if the prevention chems fail. I've had really good luck with the Sawyer's Broad Spectrum last year and so far this year. Very light black fly year (so far) here.

mudhead
06-02-2008, 16:53
Are greenheads what I would call a "green bottle fly?"

twentybelow
06-02-2008, 17:29
not sure what a green bottle fly is, but THESE (http://www.brigantinerowingclub.org/Misc_home/greenhead.html) are the greenheads i know and hate.

mudhead
06-02-2008, 17:36
Are greenheads what I would call a "green bottle fly?"

Nope. Those look like a funky deerfly. They bite. Or digest.

What I refer to is like a housefly with green bug eyes. They take a chunk, too.

AlwaysHiking
06-02-2008, 19:04
just out of curiosity, what part of the AT has greenheads? i can't say i've ever seen one there. i associate them with the salt marshes and estuaries around where i live.

Between Ashby Gap and Manassas Gap. Stayed at Sky Meadows for the night, had some friends meeting us there. Greenheads came out big time after the storm on Saturday moved through. Didn't see any up on the trail the first day, but they were there when we hiked back up on Sunday.

Suckers HURT!

http://flybyenaturals.com/Images/Greenhead%20picture.jpg