PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the text editor

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 18:04
I am unable to format text using the text edit at this time. I have been manually formatting carriage returns, sizes, colors, fonts, etc using HTML code. Is there a problem? I'm using FoxFire BTW.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 18:09
I'm not having a problem, but I use a different browser.

Empty your cache! If that doesn't work, reboot!

There, I just saved you fifteen minutes of a call halfway around the globe.

Heater
06-02-2008, 19:05
If that does not work, you must format your hard drive.
Glad to be of ass-istance. :D

Heater
06-02-2008, 19:07
Attn humor impaired: That was a joke. Dont format you drives. :-? ;) :)

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 19:31
Attn humor impaired: That was a joke. Dont format you drives. :-? ;) :)

Are you sure? Y/N :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 19:34
Well, I did all of that (except re-format the drive, of course) and I still can't format text.

However, I can format using Internet explorer

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 19:42
Hmm,

Have you tried clicking on the text editor icon in the upper right hand corner of the reply window - It looks like an A/A. It will simply insert the vB codes on one setting vs. the WYSIWYG editor on the other?

Don't know if that is it or not....???

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 19:42
Well, if you could use those functions before, and now you can't, something's changed.

Did you change any settings or update your browser? If you haven't updated the browser, make sure you're using the current version. Are you in advanced mode? Are you selecting the text first? It has to be a software issue.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 19:45
Well, if you could use those functions before, and now you can't, something's changed.

Did you change any settings or update your browser? If you haven't updated the browser, make sure you're using the current version. Are you in advanced mode? Are you selecting the text first? It has to be a software issue.

My browser is set to auto-update. I haven't changed any settings today. The only change on my computer this week was a change to different anti-virus program, but the browser has worked since that install.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 19:47
Hmm,

Have you tried clicking on the text editor icon in the upper right hand corner of the reply window - It looks like an A/A. It will simply insert the vB codes on one setting vs. the WYSIWYG editor on the other?

Don't know if that is it or not....???

Tried that and it didn't work. Thank goodness I know HTML

4eyedbuzzard
06-02-2008, 19:56
Hi Dino,

I just typed this reply in my Firefox browser window. It seems to be working okay if just is bold and firefox is really big and in a different font.

Edit: So I don't think it's a bulletin board software/build issue.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 19:57
The only change on my computer this week was a change to different anti-virus program.Well, that's the problem. Somehow it is interfering with the text edit function. You will have to adjust the antivirus settings.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 20:07
It wasn't the antivirus program - it was something with the {bleep} MS Vista. I had to reset a bunch of stuff.

NICKTHEGREEK
06-02-2008, 20:07
Do a restore (Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System restore) to a date point when it worked. If it works again it probably was the update that messed up.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 20:09
Do a restore (Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System restore) to a date point when it worked. If it works again it probably was the update that messed up.If you restore, you'll lose everything since then.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 20:10
The damn Vista OS screwed up all the settings in my OpenOffice programs as well.

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 20:11
Why can't computers work like refrigerators? Turn it on , set the temperature, and then forget about it for 25 years. No other consumer product is so crappy except maybe killer meat.

Skidsteer
06-02-2008, 20:11
The damn Vista OS screwed up all the settings in my OpenOffice programs as well.

Oh. Vista. No wonder.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 20:12
Can't get a new computer without this on it....

::: Dino seen considering Linux :::

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 20:12
The damn Vista OS screwed up all the settings in my OpenOffice programs as well.Did you change something or was it a "security" update?

I have had a much better computing experience since switching to a Mac.

max patch
06-02-2008, 20:16
Can't get a new computer without this on it....

::: Dino seen considering Linux :::

You can get a dell with without Vista thru June 30. I'm getting 2 laptops with XP for my teens.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 20:19
Did you change something or was it a "security" update?

I have had a much better computing experience since switching to a Mac.It was a 'security' update - I found it in the log.

::: Dino seen biting Bill Gates on the toes :::

Appalachian Tater
06-02-2008, 20:23
http://www.davidduke.com/images/billgates-evil.jpg

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-02-2008, 20:25
::: Dino sen nearly choking on her evening apple :::

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/Frequently%20used/Dinolaughing.jpg

Wise Old Owl
06-02-2008, 20:48
Vista hey that gives new meaning to the evil empire....

chief
06-02-2008, 23:32
Let's see, works with IE, but doesn't work with FF and it's Windows fault. Please!

Heater
06-03-2008, 00:19
Let's see, works with IE, but doesn't work with FF and it's Windows fault. Please!

YEAH!

Because that is the kind of underhanded CRAP that M$ does on a regular basis.

Wake up!

They ripped off Apple with windows.
They ripped off Novell's networking file system.

Open systems (*NIX) is fighting back.

Screw M$.

max patch
06-03-2008, 10:55
You can get a dell with without Vista thru June 30. I'm getting 2 laptops with XP for my teens.

June 18

chief
06-03-2008, 11:45
YEAH!

Because that is the kind of underhanded CRAP that M$ does on a regular basis.

Wake up!

They ripped off Apple with windows.
They ripped off Novell's networking file system.

Open systems (*NIX) is fighting back.

Screw M$.
Funny stuff. Like I said, PLEASE!

BTW, wasn't it Apple who ripped off Xerox?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-03-2008, 12:21
Let's see, works with IE, but doesn't work with FF and it's Windows fault. Please!Chief, this is what happened:
Editor was working fine up until a certain time.
I checked the computer's log file to see what had happened this is a list of everything that changes)
At virtually the exact time that the text editor quit working here and all my OpenOffice programs got reset, WINDOWS Vista had done a 'security' update.
Yes, Chief, it is WINDOWS fault.

I have disabled WINDOWS ability to do this again.

OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is far superior to the WINDOWS office programs. The location of the various functions makes far more sense and the user has way more control over the various functions - you can actually make it do what you need it to do instead of being limited to picking the MS preset function closest to what you need it to do. The default settings are those used most in the real world - not so in MS (for example: when you add a text box in OpenOffice it is automatically clear and adjust itself to the text size. In MS Word it automatically has a white background and you have to manually size it.)

Heater
06-03-2008, 15:29
Chief, this is what happened:
Editor was working fine up until a certain time.
I checked the computer's log file to see what had happened this is a list of everything that changes)
At virtually the exact time that the text editor quit working here and all my OpenOffice programs got reset, WINDOWS Vista had done a 'security' update.
Yes, Chief, it is WINDOWS fault.

I have disabled WINDOWS ability to do this again.

OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) is far superior to the WINDOWS office programs. The location of the various functions makes far more sense and the user has way more control over the various functions - you can actually make it do what you need it to do instead of being limited to picking the MS preset function closest to what you need it to do. The default settings are those used most in the real world - not so in MS (for example: when you add a text box in OpenOffice it is automatically clear and adjust itself to the text size. In MS Word it automatically has a white background and you have to manually size it.)

One of the best thing about Openoffice is it is FREE! :D:D:D:D

...and yes, M$ is taking to much of the functionality away from the user.
That is fine for most users but it really sux for the rest.

Heater
06-03-2008, 15:34
Funny stuff. Like I said, PLEASE!

BTW, wasn't it Apple who ripped off Xerox?

That, reminds me of Oliver Twist asking if he could PLEASE have some more gruel. ;)

...Please Mr. Gates... may I have some more?

:rolleyes:

chief
06-03-2008, 15:53
Dino, I think you're seeing what you want to see. It's very easy to blame Windows, MS and Bill Gates personally for all your problems (don't we all), but a lot of times the open source venders themselves are the culprits. OpenOffice has had a bunch of teething problems in Windows (of all versions). I know this because I used the software for a few years (who wants to pay for MS Office?). I finally gave up and went back to my old MS Office 2003. One thing I can say for certain, the only advantage of OpenOffice is that it's free!

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2008, 16:02
http://www.cnet.com.au/i/g/240091101/sc001.jpg

NICKTHEGREEK
06-03-2008, 20:05
If you restore, you'll lose everything since then.
True but thats the point