PDA

View Full Version : Section ending at Damascus

klpicktown
06-02-2008, 22:16
....I want to end a 3-weekish section at damascus...where does that put me as far as a good starting point?

I want leave my truck in Damascus and have my wife drive me up to my starting location...does this make sense? Is there a reliable place to leave a truck in Damascus for 3 weeks? Thanks

Skyline
06-02-2008, 22:38
You want to hike NOBO or SOBO?

Good, safe place in Damascus is Dave's Place Hostel, for a modest fee. Contact Mount Rogers Outfitters.

A-Train
06-02-2008, 23:25
Daleville VA, if you wanna hike SOBO- Davenport Gap if NOBO. Both right off of major interstates.

Tennessee Viking
06-02-2008, 23:39
....I want to end a 3-weekish section at damascus...where does that put me as far as a good starting point?

I want leave my truck in Damascus and have my wife drive me up to my starting location...does this make sense? Is there a reliable place to leave a truck in Damascus for 3 weeks? Thanks
Whats your start date and direction? If you are starting in the summertime, I would guess you would probably slow down due to the sun and heat.

Maybe Standing Bear Farm, Newfound Gap, Fontana.

Though I think the word is out that the Smokies are closing some of the shelters due to bear activity. Bear activity is also up from Roaring Creek to Walnut Mountain.

The Place and MRO are the really popular car drops.

klpicktown
06-03-2008, 07:06
sorry.....Heading sobo...how many trail miles does Daleville put me away from Damascus? I will heading out first week in june next year.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 07:18
sorry.....Heading sobo...how many trail miles does Daleville put me away from Damascus? I will heading out first week in june next year.

about 254 miles

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 07:21
Whats your start date and direction? If you are starting in the summertime, I would guess you would probably slow down due to the sun and heat.

Maybe Standing Bear Farm, Newfound Gap, Fontana.

Though I think the word is out that the Smokies are closing some of the shelters due to bear activity. Bear activity is also up from Roaring Creek to Walnut Mountain.

The Place and MRO are the really popular car drops.

The Place allows 2 day parking only, MRO charges $2 per day. There is a big lot next to the Old Mill that is free public parking. it is very safe

Skyline
06-03-2008, 09:39

Do you have any more info to expand on this?

If (some) AT shelters in the GSMNP are being closed, that almost means under current regs that the AT can't be hiked thru, doesn't it? Any word on which shelters are being closed?

Tennessee Viking
06-03-2008, 15:08
From what the park website lists, it is just Mt Collins right now. A couple weeks ago it was to three or so. I believe I heard that there is increased bear activity at some of the more popular ones, and the park and Smoky Mtn Club are in process of working on the shelters. Being that they have to take fencelines and bear cables down. Call Sugarlands for current info and bear activity on trail.

I have heard hiker news that there is a bear or two hanging around shelters from Max Patch to Hot Springs. Food bags being torn down and packs being grabbed and rummaged through.

klpicktown
06-03-2008, 21:11
Is there a road intersection or marker to get to in daleville to get on the AT sobo? is there a particular section map that is better than others? best place to get it from?

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 21:14
Is there a road intersection or marker to get to in daleville to get on the AT sobo? is there a particular section map that is better than others? best place to get it from?

directly across from the Pizza Hut about 1/3 mile off the I-81 exit