PDA

View Full Version : Source for 9" aluminum spikes

wallace
06-03-2008, 09:43
Does anyone have an online source for 9 inch aluminum gutter spikes that would be used for tarp stakes. I had a set that came with my McCat tarp but they were lost when lent to my wife. Home depot and Lowes have 7" aluminum spikes but not the 9". Larger sizes can be found in galvanized but they are too heavy. I did a fairly exhaustive google search. Any ideas?

gearfreak
06-03-2008, 10:19
You might try contacting a local business that installs aluminum gutters. :cool:

LIhikers
06-03-2008, 11:12
Home Depot, Lowes, and good hardware stores sometimes sell aluminum rod in 3 foot lengths. You could make some tent stakes easy enough with a hack saw and a course file. Just cut a length a little longer than you want the stake and make a 90 degree bend so you wind up with a 1/2 "head" on it. Then file a point on the other end.

NorthCountryWoods
06-03-2008, 13:46
Home Depot, Lowes, and good hardware stores sometimes sell aluminum rod in 3 foot lengths. You could make some tent stakes easy enough with a hack saw and a course file. Just cut a length a little longer than you want the stake and make a 90 degree bend so you wind up with a 1/2 "head" on it. Then file a point on the other end.

Excellent idea....what size rod are you using?

LIhikers
06-03-2008, 15:14
While I've never used it for tent stakes, I have seen it in 1/16 of an inch increments from 1/8th of an inch to 3/8ths of an inch.

veteran
06-03-2008, 15:15
This company manufactures them.

http://www.clendeninbrothers.com/Nails/nails.html

kanga
06-03-2008, 15:35
Does anyone have an online source for 9 inch aluminum gutter spikes that would be used for tarp stakes. I had a set that came with my McCat tarp but they were lost when lent to my wife. Home depot and Lowes have 7" aluminum spikes but not the 9". Larger sizes can be found in galvanized but they are too heavy. I did a fairly exhaustive google search. Any ideas?

http://www.nwbackpack.com/products/stansport_aluminum_934_tent_pegs_green_6_pack_4829 8.php

Peaks
06-03-2008, 17:15
First idea is to change to 7" gutter spikes. Unless it's an unusual situation, 7" will work just fine.

Second, I've bought them (7") previously at the local lumber yards. They sell them individually and without the ferrells. (Our local Home Depot only sells them with ferells)

Bob S
06-03-2008, 18:11
I got about 80 (7-inch) of them for free. I helped tare down a log home and all the gutter spikes were mine for the taking.

briarpatch
06-03-2008, 20:15
Did you contact Brian (the guy who makes the MacCat)? He used to sell the 9 inch stake sets separately.

kayak karl
06-03-2008, 20:57
bending that stock even with heat in difficult to keep it from cracking. concider small rightangle stock. about the same weight and better in sandy soil, i just dont like the sharp ends on them.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 21:25
First idea is to change to 7" gutter spikes. Unless it's an unusual situation, 7" will work just fine.

Second, I've bought them (7") previously at the local lumber yards. They sell them individually and without the ferrells. (Our local Home Depot only sells them with ferells)

I agree, also concider the titanium pack or aluminum sand hogs. 9" isn't an important issue.

dragonfeet
06-03-2008, 22:33
I install rain gutters and we come across them all the time when we tear off existing gutters. If you call or go by your local gutter company I am sure the guys will help you out.

Just Jack
06-04-2008, 11:16
Seems to me that it would be easier to check a Campmor catalogue. They got all kinds of tent stakes.

wallace
06-04-2008, 12:07
Seems to me that it would be easier to check a Campmor catalogue. They got all kinds of tent stakes.

At this point, it is the challenge of finding them. I could have ordered a set from Brian at McCat or I could have used some tent stake. But once I couldn't find a generic source for something I know exists, it obsessed me. I liked the spikes because they were light and easy to drive in. I am going to try the 7" ones I picked up at Home Depot.

Bob S
06-04-2008, 20:44
I use them because they were free. Actually less then free as I got paid to take them out of the home we were tearing down.

Tinker
06-04-2008, 23:56
If you need more holding power, you can use the same hacksaw and file to make some "V" cross-sectioned stakes from aluminum corner stock available at hardware stores.