PDA

View Full Version : Any HASHERS that hike the AT out there?

tucker0104
06-03-2008, 11:19
If you are a hasher, have you ever met up with any of the other hash group while you were hiking?

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:21
Umm. . . only hashed at Woodstock 99. Yep, fried tatoes are good when you're . . . ummmm . . . listening to music.:)

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 11:23
Umm. . . only hashed at Woodstock 99. Yep, fried tatoes are good when you're . . . ummmm . . . listening to music.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

tucker0104
06-03-2008, 11:27
Not smoking weed. Hashing is a running club with a drinking problem. A lot of fun. a person lays the trails and then the group has to find the trail.

Gray Blazer
06-03-2008, 11:31
I just want a hash mistress.

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 11:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

Oh. :o:o

Wooops

max patch
06-03-2008, 11:39
Hashers did a run thru Kennesaw Mtn Natl Park during the peak of the anthrax scares. They used flour to mark their run. Someone -- lot of walkers, day hikers, and runners use the trails -- reported anthrax on the trail. Authorities came out in their haz mat suits and closed the trails for the afternoon as they investigated the "anthrax".

kanga
06-03-2008, 11:56
Oh. :o:o

Wooops

It's okay, that stuff can gum up your bowl. I was worried too.;)

warraghiyagey
06-03-2008, 12:00
It's okay, that stuff can gum up your bowl. I was worried too.;)
;):):p:sun:sun

riceNbeans
06-03-2008, 12:15
Not smoking weed. Hashing is a running club with a drinking problem. A lot of fun. a person lays the trails and then the group has to find the trail.

Nah, they are a drinking club with a running problem!

tucker0104
06-03-2008, 12:46
Don't you think you are being a little paranoid when you think there is anthrax on the ground in a national forest? I would think they would put it somewhere a little more effective than that. Maybe in a city....

kanga
06-03-2008, 12:53
Don't you think you are being a little paranoid when you think there is anthrax on the ground in a national forest? I would think they would put it somewhere a little more effective than that. Maybe in a city....
it's a national park IN a city. well, outside of a city. atlanta, to be specific. it's where people who spend their day in a cube go to see nature.

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2008, 13:40
Don't you think you are being a little paranoid when you think there is anthrax on the ground in a national forest? I would think they would put it somewhere a little more effective than that. Maybe in a city....Anthrax spores are in the soil everywhere.

Gray Blazer
06-03-2008, 13:48
Anthrax spores are in the soil everywhere.

Yeah, we weren't allowed to load watermelons if the field was wet because of tracking the anthrax.

Incahiker
06-03-2008, 14:21
Hah, I didn't know they had to close kennesaw because of an anthrax scare, lol. I can see kennesaw mtn. from my office, its about a 10 minute drive from here. I used to go there ALL the time when I was a teen ( during the 90s). But after they developed everything BUT kennesaw mountain I stopped going since there is NO way to get solitude at the mountain anymore. Hell, You'll run into way more people at Kennesaw mtn. then at town center mall, its way overcongested and they don't even have near enough parking spaces to accomodate 1/8th of the people that visit a day. Sucks. Also people love taking there "Mean" pitbulls for walks up there. I have nothing against pit bulls, but the ones that truly are just aggressive always seem to be up there.

jesse
06-03-2008, 14:31
Kennesaw Mountain Park is great. I walk there everyday. I remember the flour arrows on the trail. Never knew why they were there. If its solitude you seek, go in the bathroom and lock the door.

Incahiker
06-03-2008, 15:09
Ah, yes, but see, Kennesaw mountain used to be a place where you were in solitude. It was great. Of course you had to go away from the main parking areas, but once away it was rare to come across another sole. Last time I went there were a ton of people, and it was insane finding a parking spot. Anyhow, I still take my kids up there, and its still a nice place. I used to run that cheatham hill 6 mile loop every day.

What exactly do the Hashers do again?? Something about getting drunk and hitting the trails:-?

Frosty
06-03-2008, 17:59
it was rare to come across another sole.People hiked barefoot?

mudhead
06-03-2008, 19:03
Water wasn't deep enough.

Brock
06-04-2008, 15:07
I work with a hasher and I think that group would fit in perfectly on the trail though I've never met any on the trail.

As for anthrax...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/25/nyregion/25beer.html
Stories like that make me miss the trail.

This hasher I work with told me a story of how the Department of Homeland Security came to one of their meetings to discuss appropriate items they could leave as way markers. Flour was ruled out as it looked dangerous. Hashers didn't want to use rice as they said it cost too much. Piles of chalk was ruled out for the same reason as the flour. I forget what they eventually came up with.