PDA

View Full Version : hike prep/ work outs

santa
06-03-2008, 22:41
Does anyone know a good work out plan designed for backpacking? That includes streches ect.

santa
06-03-2008, 22:56
sorry for double post

4eyedbuzzard
06-03-2008, 23:10
Best bet would probably be a general core strengthening/aerobic workout and treadmill and stairmaster type stuff - with a loaded pack as well. Nothing ever really duplicates the real thing though.

take-a-knee
06-04-2008, 00:26
I reccomend www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

Unless you are in peak physical condition you'll need to "scale" or reduce the intensity of the exercises in the WOD (workout of the day). Unless you are quite strong you won't even be able to do some of the exercises at all. Look at the menu on the left of the main page. Locate "Start Here" and move the cursor over it. You'll see "Brand X Scaled Workouts" and it will spell out what the reccomended reduced/substituted exercises are for each WOD.

santa
06-04-2008, 00:31
I reccomend www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

Unless you are in peak physical condition you'll need to "scale" or reduce the intensity of the exercises in the WOD (workout of the day). Unless you are quite strong you won't even be able to do some of the exercises at all. Look at the menu on the left of the main page. Locate "Start Here" and move the cursor over it. You'll see "Brand X Scaled Workouts" and it will spell out what the reccomended reduced/substituted exercises are for each WOD.

Looks like a good site. I'm just alittle lost in it. I see what you are talking about. But I cant tell what to do on each day because there is so many mondays. IDK im just confused. Where do i find the set in stone week

take-a-knee
06-04-2008, 00:45
Looks like a good site. I'm just alittle lost in it. I see what you are talking about. But I cant tell what to do on each day because there is so many mondays. IDK im just confused. Where do i find the set in stone week

Don't try today's workout, work 2-3 days behind, that gives you time to search all the videos (hours and hours of videos on the site). The Brand X scaled workout reccomendations won't be posted until 10-12 hr after the WOD is posted. There is a long learning curve with this stuff and I'm a couple of months into it and still have much to learn. I was doing the 2-3 days weights-3 runs/week for years and gradually getting weaker, heavier and slower. This stuff has helped get me on the right track. I'll go for 1-2 weeks without running more than 1/2mile at a time, but my mile run times are a little below 8min( 6:30 is my goal) and my functional strength is increasing.

Mags
06-04-2008, 00:46
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

The long story short of the above link:

Find exercise you enjoy and do it. Nothing prepares you for hiking like hiking. :)

santa
06-04-2008, 00:47
This looks really cool. I clicked start here but I am not sure how to start still. Do I have to pay money? I am having troubles navigating the site.

Wags
06-04-2008, 00:56
there is no bad exercise

santa
06-04-2008, 01:00
there is no bad exercise

Yeah i know. But i want to get a scedule going so its more organized. BTW i been to hersey like twice. Your town smells so nice lol

Grinder
06-04-2008, 07:57
I can't stress enough the need for hiking specific workouts.

This means hiking with your pack on (at trail weight or a bit more.)

It means aerobic exercise. When you start to climb fully loaded, you'll know what I mean. And I mean Really Aerobic! tongue dragging aerobic!!!

I used to suggest climbing stadiums as the workout of choice, but locally, perhaps because of the terrorist threats, the schools are locked up tighter than a drum. I can't find an available 50 foot stairway.

I'm looking for a good used step machine myself. I figure a step machine with the pack on might be a good simulation of the "real deal"

Grinder

MOWGLI
06-04-2008, 07:59
. Nothing prepares you for hiking like hiking. :)

There it is. In a nutshell. The thread can be closed now. :)

Peaks
06-04-2008, 08:07
Backpacker magazine had an article on physical conditioning a couple of years ago. It included an 8 week work out plan.

Frankly, while the best conditioning for backpacking is backpacking, almost any exercise that works the lower body, and gets your heart rate up is going to help get you.

mudhead
06-04-2008, 08:11
Does anyone know a good work out plan designed for backpacking? That includes streches ect.

Figure out a way to hike up to Horsetooth. Rest. Stretch. Repeat as needed.

Deadeye
06-04-2008, 09:22
Crossfit is great stuff, and there's no set schedule for a reason - no plateau effect, lots of variety, you're always trying to improve and build. Many of the workouts are timed so you can see your improvement over time. Big plus: it's full of information and it's free.

If you really want something with a schedule, and don't mind paying a few bucks, Tony Horton's P90X program is very good and damn tough. It includes yoga and stretching. For the price of a book, try Body for Life, by Bill Phillips.

Hiking might be great training for hiking, but most of us can't be hiking all the time, so a good training program really helps to make the most of the precious hiking time available.

OTOH, you're 17 -all you have to do is go out and do it.

Blissful
06-04-2008, 09:44
Santa, I can tell you for a fact my 16 year old came onto the trail as a couch guy and did the whole thing.

You will get into condition soon enough, esp at your age. But my hat's off to you for wanting to start something anyway. Good for you.

Mags
06-04-2008, 09:50
Here's what I do personally to stay in shape.

Mon - My day of laundry, food shopping, etc.. No aerobic exercise. :) (Though, I now do light weights and pushups. Been doing this for ~7mos)

Tues - 1hr+ "power hike"/slow run with ~1000' elev gain
Weds - Repeat. Light weights/pushups
Thurs.- Repeat
Fri - Repeat. Light weights/pushups
Sat-Sun: hike/backpack/ Last weekend, for example, I was able to get in ~25 miles total (with postholing and route finding. :O)

The above schedule is my "ideal' one. I am pretty conistent about the weights as it takes me less than half an hour to do the above. The weekday hiking sometimes gets modified depending upon my social schedule. In reality, it is probably 3 times a week hiking on average. Sometimes I do "social" hikes during the week that are bit slower pace.

I am working earlier now, though and get to leave work by 4pm. I suspect I will be more able to meet my goal of 4 days of hiking during the week more often. (Esp. with the increased daylight).

The weekends almost always involve hiking on Saturday and Sunday. During the winter, I switch to ski touring (higher aerobic, somewhat less endurance).

For better or worse, this is what I've been doing now fairly consistently (minus the weight lifting) for ~3 yrs.

I am not an athlete, but I do like to be in shape for my love of the outdoors.

Works for me anyway.

Mags
06-04-2008, 09:58
Santa, I can tell you for a fact my 16 year old came onto the trail as a couch guy and did the whole thing.

I never understood this approach.

Why have a awkward/hard (and sometimes painful) startup?

I did that approach at 24 yrs old when I did the AT. I did "well", but I would have done better if I ate less cheeseburgers and hiked more. I am in better shape now than in my early 20s. I suspect my AT experience, 10 yrs later, would be easier. Why? Because exercise is part of my life. Not because I am an athlete..but because I like being able to do what I want to do without struggling.

Simple exercise will get you ready for the trail.

Also, regular exercise is important for EVERYONE for physical health. I don't care what age you are.

Finally, life is too short to not be active and have fun! :)

I loved my thru-hikes. They are among the watershed moments in my life. But, if I only did thru-hikes, my life would be that much less rich.

I love the outdoors.

Be it for months at a time, enjoying the day with good friend on some Saturday...or admiring the changing foothill wildflowers almost every early evening as spring turns into summer.

The advantage of getting out and hiking often is not just the shape you'll be in for a long hike, or the regular exercise you'll be getting that is good for everyone...it is about being able to experience the outdoors in your daily life. Being able to enjoy the outdoors not just for a few months every few years, but being able to enjoy the outdoors as a part of, and not separate from, your normal experience.

ALSO: I don't care where you live, there are always some sort of bike path/trail/whatever you can go on. When I lived in RI (in my hometown in the suburbs of Providence) I found hiking trails. You can always walk briskly (with a pack) on a bike path or even on a sidewalk/road. You are walking for months at a time. Why not train by....walking! :)

Red Hat
06-04-2008, 11:04
The problem is, for those of us who live in flat areas, walking or hiking is not even close to the experience of the AT. I can do 20 miles easily at home, but on the AT I am worn out after a couple of puds... So stairstepping or walking stadium steps is the closest to it I have found. My daughter recommends doing the WII Dance Dance Revolution for strong aerobic excercise, but I'm not coordinated enough to step with the machine, lol....

Bear Cables
06-04-2008, 11:07
there is no bad exercise

But there are exercises badly done. An incorrect technique in stretching or lifting can cause muscle damage and then...there goes the hike! Anything aerobic is great for the hike as well as working the flexibility of the hip flexors and strengthening the quads.Don't forget to stretch the hamstrings as well. Stay away from stretches that over extend or put the knee in an unnatural position.You should never go beyond a 90 degree flex on the knee. In other words don't drop your butt below the line of the knee. I have had success with a steep incline at a moderate pace on the treadmill as well as the stair climber( the one that looks like a short escalator) I add the pack weight about two weeks out from the hike. Cycling is also a good transfer and swimming strengthens the upper back. Pilates rules for core work. Hope this is helpful .( for what it's worth I have a degree in Kinesiology)

Lyle
06-04-2008, 11:15
Personally, I would just work on Cardio so that you feel better from the start of your hike. Add to that some good stretching, then concentrate on upper body. Once you get out hiking, your lower body will get their development, just start a bit slower than normal.

The upper body really doesn't get much of a workout while hiking, even if you use poles. In order to keep your body fit all over, when you're not hiking, work out your upper body.

My $0.02 worth.

take-a-knee
06-04-2008, 12:55
But there are exercises badly done. An incorrect technique in stretching or lifting can cause muscle damage and then...there goes the hike! Anything aerobic is great for the hike as well as working the flexibility of the hip flexors and strengthening the quads.Don't forget to stretch the hamstrings as well. Stay away from stretches that over extend or put the knee in an unnatural position.You should never go beyond a 90 degree flex on the knee. In other words don't drop your butt below the line of the knee. I have had success with a steep incline at a moderate pace on the treadmill as well as the stair climber( the one that looks like a short escalator) I add the pack weight about two weeks out from the hike. Cycling is also a good transfer and swimming strengthens the upper back. Pilates rules for core work. Hope this is helpful .( for what it's worth I have a degree in Kinesiology)

Some good advice except for one thing, if I'm never to allow my knee to bend to an acute angle less than 90 degrees, how do you propose I get up from the toilet?

jesse
06-04-2008, 14:09
First and most important. Start/continue to eat a healthy diet. Lots of raw fruits/vegetables, lean meat, no soft drinks, etc.

Second. Start walking. Keep walking. Then walk some more. Walk up hill. Day hike in the mountains.

Third. Don't know this for sure, its my gut instinct, but I don't exercise with a pack. And I would never recommend walking with an overloaded pack. Risk of injury outweighs the marginal benefits.

Bear Cables
06-04-2008, 15:22
Some good advice except for one thing, if I'm never to allow my knee to bend to an acute angle less than 90 degrees, how do you propose I get up from the toilet?

Okay squatting for the potty is allowed. But, unless you are squatting in the woods I think the avg potty seat keeps you at a 90 degree or less at the hip and knee. :-?

santa
06-04-2008, 15:59
Some good suggestions. Thanks :) I'm still tryin to figure out exactly what I am going to do but ill post it when i do.

take-a-knee
06-04-2008, 16:04
Okay squatting for the potty is allowed. But, unless you are squatting in the woods I think the avg potty seat keeps you at a 90 degree or less at the hip and knee. :-?

Actually only the tall ones for wheelchair users do, I'm trying to avoid wheelchairs and nursing homes myself.

Bear Cables
06-04-2008, 17:53
Actually only the tall ones for wheelchair users do, I'm trying to avoid wheelchairs and nursing homes myself.

I hear ya!:)

bigmac_in
06-04-2008, 18:14
I'd recommend preparing by loading up your backpack, heading to the trail, and start walking. The repeat. And again......

rafe
06-05-2008, 17:44
Hiking's the best way, for sure. I also do a fair amount of bike riding in the summer, typically 45-60 miles per week. There's a nice 12-mile loop that I enjoy doing after work, as time and weather allow.