PDA

View Full Version : Looking for NIDO?

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 22:43
Several months of reading WB, anyone can get Nestle Nido off the internet, Perhaps there is an easier way. It turns out Nido is well liked in spanish/mexican stores all over the U.S. My observations are that most food market only carry a limited Nonfat dry milk, up to now I use it in my bread baking. Nido is WHOLE milk. The best part I couldn't speak the language and walked into a spanish market and there it was on the shelf. - Wow, I cannot wait to start baking with it and adding it to my freezer bag cooking.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-03-2008, 22:45
I buy Nido in regular supermarkets in the Hispanic foods section.

budforester
06-03-2008, 22:51
Several months of reading WB, anyone can get Nestle Nido off the internet, Perhaps there is an easier way. It turns out Nido is well liked in spanish/mexican stores all over the U.S. My observations are that most food market only carry a limited Nonfat dry milk, up to now I use it in my bread baking. Nido is WHOLE milk. The best part I couldn't speak the language and walked into a spanish market and there it was on the shelf. - Wow, I cannot wait to start baking with it and adding it to my freezer bag cooking.

I often find Nido at my local Super- Wallyworld, in the Hispanic/ Asian food section.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 22:52
Cool can't do that here in Philadelphia, I have been to five different stores.

hopefulhiker
06-03-2008, 22:59
Got it at Walmart, international section.... Good to mix in with homemade oatmeal mix. High fat content.

Wise Old Owl
06-03-2008, 23:08
Nut's now I am blue - I thought I had this figured out.

russb
06-04-2008, 05:35
I too have had difficulty finding Nido in my area. All the regular suspects did not carry it. I did however find Nestle Klim in the Chinese grocery. I do not know the difference (if any) between the two. Klim is powdered whole milk, I think Nido is the same?

orangebug
06-04-2008, 05:39
And both are Nestle products.

max patch
06-04-2008, 06:44
I respect my body too much to put Nido in it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-04-2008, 06:46
I used this method of making non-fat milk palatable (http://waltonfeed.com/self/milkrecipe.html) for some time when my kids were little - we sometimes car camped in remote areas for a couple of weeks so a cooler with milk for the kids wasn't going to work. This is tasty enough to drink as milk when cooled in a stream. I also found that using regular non-fat powdered milk with added oil while cooking made meals taste better and kept the very active kids satisfied longer.

Fiddleback
06-04-2008, 08:36
I respect my body too much to put Nido in it.

Yeah...I always thought drinking milk from another species was kinda unnatural...no matter how far from the teat it was removed.:rolleyes: Still, as powdered milk goes, NIDO is pretty good. It's a great addition to 'stuff' on the trail.

And my Super WalMart, in the heart of western Montana and with less than 2% Hispanic population, also stocks NIDO in the "international" section.

FB

budforester
06-04-2008, 10:43
I too have had difficulty finding Nido in my area. All the regular suspects did not carry it. I did however find Nestle Klim in the Chinese grocery. I do not know the difference (if any) between the two. Klim is powdered whole milk, I think Nido is the same?

I looked online, and the Klim seems to be identical... didn't say where it's from (Nido's from Mexico). Even the can seems to be the same; just a different label. They gave a MSRP for Klim that was expensive.

mudhead
06-04-2008, 11:49
Yeah...I always thought drinking milk from another species was kinda unnatural...no matter how far from the teat it was removed.:rolleyes: Still, as powdered milk goes, NIDO is pretty good. It's a great addition to 'stuff' on the trail.

And my Super WalMart, in the heart of western Montana and with less than 2% Hispanic population, also stocks NIDO in the "international" section.

FB

Same in Maine. WalMart also stocks several types of bugspray during the winter. Brilliant!

Farr Away
06-04-2008, 13:51
Yes, the local WalMart stocks it in the Hispanic food section. I've also seen it at various international markets around town.

Wise Old Owl
06-06-2008, 10:15
So what are the Hispanics doing with it? & more importantly why is always "non fat in most grocery stores" and Whole dry milk in the other parts of the world... Conspiracy?

Here is an example.

Top quality rice in China & Japan is very sticky & sought after, When I was a kid I remember ads on tv pushing the value of non stick rice (the poorest quality) as they shipped that here.

hootyhoo
06-17-2008, 21:31
I used to be able to walk right into walmart and get but for the last two months they have only had the baby fomula. I got dried skim and its all good. I try not to whine too much.

Odd Thomas - welcome to America. Where greed is the rule, at any cost.

honkydory
06-22-2008, 09:14
I use Coconut Milk Powder in tough 60g bags as a substitute for milk powder.
http://www.efooddepot.com/products/images/Chaokoh/4052/Coconut_Powder.html
Works for most things except maybe the morning coffee. Actually prefer it for porridge and stews as you can boil it and store mixed up leftovers in warm weather longer. Give a great flavour to muffins, scones and spongecake too!
http://www.eastasianfood.com/images/articles/TL1608%2Ejpg

greentick
06-27-2008, 02:00
NIDO goes real well in my FBC southwest corn chowder.

Wise Old Owl
07-02-2008, 13:46
Who needs NIDO or nestle. We let people do much worse here in the US.

But this is a food thread... NIDO goes real well in my FBC southwest corn chowder.

Is that in the FBC book? please PM me the ingredient list.

Tinker
07-02-2008, 23:49
I tried Nido - didn't like it. Tasted like nonfat dry milk, just a little thicker.

budforester
07-03-2008, 07:23
I rarely drink milk... use it as an ingredient... but flavor of reconstituted milk (nonfat or whole) can benefit from aging. Keep it cool in refrig, ice chest or spring.

NICKTHEGREEK
07-03-2008, 07:43

FB
I take it you are neither a cow or a goat.
It must have been interesting to sit at your table during 4th grade lunch:D

NICKTHEGREEK
07-03-2008, 07:46
Cool can't do that here in Philadelphia, I have been to five different stores.
Look for the stores where the patrons greet one another by saying Hola rather than Yo.

greentick
07-06-2008, 00:25
Is that in the FBC book? please PM me the ingredient list.

One of my own, based on a soup I make, using the harmony house dried veggies...

3tbs corn
1tbs onion
2tbs carrot
1tbs mixed peppers
1/4 cup potato
1/4 cup black beans
2tbs northern beans
4tbs Nido
Chicken bouillon (one square)
chipotle powder
cumin
oregano
garlic
(seasonings to taste)

2.5 cups of boiling water

After stewing in the coozy for 20 minutes I add salt and some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Rounds out to about 1000 calories.

Optionally add dehydrated chicken (preferrably after you have grilled it over charcoal).:D:D:D:D:D