PDA

View Full Version : New Tripoli Campsite

Copperhead
06-03-2008, 23:38
Hello, does anyone know about this location? Im planning a hike from rt.309 to the DWG. May camp at the New Tripoli site and was wondering if anyone ells has and any info about that area of the trail will be greatly appreciated.
And how is the parking area at the rt.309 crossing?
Thank you!

Matteroo
06-04-2008, 03:43
hello copperhead,

we checked it out last year. We prefered the spot near the trail at the power-lines right before the campsite due to being on the ridge. There was an okay water source as of mid-july of 2007 (and it had not rained a lot). The site seemed a little bit trashy, it was a bigger area - and had a busted folding camp chair there around the fire pit.

the trail around there if i recall is fairly rocky as far as penn. goes - but i enjoyed it - i thought it was pretty - but esp. going from lehigh to DWG - i, and others, seem to have no desire to repeat that specific section (except for the bountiful blueberries - the rocks through there are the worst!)

athiker67
06-07-2008, 17:19
Hey copperhead,
That part of the trail is rocky but the sites are big, and there is usually water. Its not that far from 309 where there is a lot of parking. Its a good overnight hike and you are close to the knife edge and bear rocks both are very good lookouts. Have fun be careful. Joe

Copperhead
06-12-2008, 01:52
hey thank you all for your help!

Strategic
04-14-2009, 15:32
I was just out day hiking this section yesterday and went down to check on the campsite and spring. Both are in fine shape.

The spring is flowing well from several outlets, so water is abundant and unlikely to fail anytime this month or through early May. Beyond that, I can make no good guess from current conditions. The water itself is clear and quite cold.

The campsite has seen some work done recently. I couldn't find a register box, but the fire ring has been well tended, with a set log frame around the outside as both seats and perimeter. The area between the stone ring and the logs is compressed straw, well packed down. There are several other log sections around and plenty of fuel wood too. The ring is in the middle of a large open glade with plenty of camping room and good hanging trees. No privy, alas.

The trail down is a bit steep, but well laid out and tended, so it's not a hard climb in or out. All in all, a good site and very useful if you're shooting for a morning view from The Cliffs or Bear Rocks.

hiker1025
02-25-2010, 16:21
I frequent it, The trail head at 309 is good but its a short hike from the trailhead to campsite, The water source is nice and close by no privy.

emerald
02-25-2010, 17:23
That portion of the A.T. is maintained by Allentown Hiking Club. They look after a short section transferred to them years ago by BMECC which is still responsible for maintenance both N and S of their assignment.